Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Devblog Shows Off Creation Of Horses - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    If they also have different stats, and modify players' abilities in mounted combat accordingly, then we're on to something.
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Just when I thought nothing could be dumber than their quarrior showcase, they go and do something like this... AND TOTALLY REDEEM THEMSELVES!!!
    [Deleted User]alkarionlog

Mend and Defend

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    I'd say that details like these can help make a good game into a great game, but of course it needs a good game to start with. I think AOC has a chance of being a good game, but we'll see!
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Nyctelios said:
    Hey! Maybe the kickstarters could make a kickstart and buy horse (and other animal) models here and save them some time and money!
    well someone did with ships so why not?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Horses > No horses

I guess, right?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,837
    If you are so desperate to show that progress is being made that you are hyping individual assets, something is severely wrong with your development process.

And that also applies to Crowfall and Camelot Unchained. They've all done it, and it was pathetic every time.
    [Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Nyctelios said:
    Hey! Maybe the kickstarters could make a kickstart and buy horse (and other animal) models here and save them some time and money!
    It's likely easier to make a new horse than to alter an existing horse to fit together with the rider.

edited August 2019
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    That was some amazingly realistic motions, even the way the horse moved their head when walking backwards, so far, the best I have ever seen.
    Give me a call when they show players in mounted combat, then I might be interested.

;)

Mounted Combat is Overrated.. I enjoyed riding, training, and breeding horses in BDO.. and this game is much better animated than BDO, which is saying a lot, as BDO had (to date) The best horses of any game.

Not everyone needs to hit things to enjoy a game.. which was one of the things I loved about BDO, you could play all day doing all kinds of things, and not worry about how great you were at killing stuff.
    I can say from personal experience that the only time I have ever enjoyed mounted combat was in Fire Emblem Warriors. A few characters (including one horseback sword, 1 horseback axe, two horseback mages, 3 pegasus riders, and 2 wyvern riders) were designed explicitly as cavalry only characters, and they were every bit as fun and effective as infantry characters (Xander, the cavalry swordsman, was actually one of my overall favorites).

Aside from that, I can't say that I'm a fan. Mounted combat sounds great on paper, but usually leaves me actively wanting to just get back to on-foot combat.
    UngoodAzaron_Nightblade
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2019
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:

Mounted Combat is Overrated.. I enjoyed riding, training, and breeding horses in BDO.. and this game is much better animated than BDO, which is saying a lot, as BDO had (to date) The best horses of any game.

Not everyone needs to hit things to enjoy a game.. which was one of the things I loved about BDO, you could play all day doing all kinds of things, and not worry about how great you were at killing stuff.
    I can say from personal experience that the only time I have ever enjoyed mounted combat was in Fire Emblem Warriors. A few characters (including one horseback sword, 1 horseback axe, two horseback mages, 3 pegasus riders, and 2 wyvern riders) were designed explicitly as cavalry only characters, and they were every bit as fun and effective as infantry characters (Xander, the cavalry swordsman, was actually one of my overall favorites).

Aside from that, I can't say that I'm a fan. Mounted combat sounds great on paper, but usually leaves me actively wanting to just get back to on-foot combat.
    Xander's horse does backflips while carrying a mounted rider wearing full plate armour.  The MMORPG videoscape would be a better (...or more horrid) place if more games were to follow that example.
    Tiamat64 said:
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:

Xander's horse does backflips while carrying a mounted rider wearing full plate armour.  The MMORPG videoscape would be a better (...or more horrid) place if more games were to follow that example.
    Well, between realism and fun, I'll always pick fun.  ;)
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2019
    Nyctelios said:
    Vrika said:
    Nyctelios said:
    It's likely easier to make a new horse than to alter an existing horse to fit together with the rider.

Nope. You can get it with bones and rigs. Some even animated.

But then again, if you don't want to purchase from a site as a single, you can outsource to some company do it... which every company ever does.
    That's not quite what I meant.

I meant that to begin with you'll likely need to some extra animations, extra sounds, adjustments and stuff before it has everything a horse in their game must have.

Then because player character will not change for the horse you're likely in a situation where positioning his hands to hit the reins would end up looking stupid, or some similar problem, and need to redo something on the horse.

Static objects are easiest to borrow from other creators. Animated stuff is harder. If the stuff is both animated and must fit together with your player character that's hardest.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Kyleran said:
    Maurgrim said:
    People whine when devs release little info or videos what they are working on, same people whine when devs actual release videos and info what they are working on...yawn you guys are never satisfied.
    People wont be satisfied until devs start releasing information on the things which really matter such as node mechanics,  combat, and most of all, a target release date.

Until then expect the derision to continue.
    And they will be satisfied then? A bunch of MMO players all frolicking like lambs on a lawn? :D