Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESPN, Walmart Back Away From Violent Games After Mass Shootings - MMORPG.com

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    This isn’t about video games, nor the sale off guns. It’s fact that 11 countries including France , Canada and 9 more have more mass shootings the USA. We’re number 12 in the civilized nation around the world. This is about MENTAL ILLNESS and ignoring major red flags that the insane, racist and evil people post. This was said about HOLLYWOOD multiple times. The Movies are violence spreading and promoting violence. I loved Rambo and Comando when I was 12 my 2 top action movies, Evil dead and Nightmares on Elm st. I never once thought of doing evil after them. Unfortunately Evil People well do Evil things.
    That's false research.

Looking at the original research's incident list, for example in 2015 they managed to find 4 mass shootings in USA. Reseach here:
      https://crimeresearch.org/2018/08/new-cprc-research-how-a-botched-study-fooled-the-world-about-the-u-s-share-of-mass-public-shootings-u-s-rate-is-lower-than-global-average/

At the same time-gun violence archive found 21 mass shootings in United states (using criteria of at least 4 killed, perpetrator not counted):
      https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting?year=2015&sort=desc&order=%23%20Killed

That's not to say USA would have most mass shootings, some unstable countries have even more of those. USA just has more than any of the western countries.
    Various 'orgs' might claim to have some degree of authenticity, but in the end a lot of it is opinion based with restricted data sets, whether their opinions are worth listening too is purely a personal choice. Claiming that the USA has more than other western countries is an unsupported claim and likely  means you have to severely limit what is being classed as a 'western' country, Venezuela in particular, along with other similar countries, you might even have to remove France from the list  :p
    Yes, true for Venezuela. By Western countries I meant USA, Canada, EU area, Australia and New Zealand. If you were to go to southern America, Middle East or Africa you'd find a lot of countries that have way worse problems.

Also while I'm not sure about France, I think Norway would top the death in mass shootings/residents ratio for western countries. Though that it more just a statistic anomaly because they had one huge incident and they're small enough country that it's likely enough to give them top spot.
    I think Sweden can likely give Norway a run for its money, it has a lot of no go zones (Malmo etc.) and lately its a country i definitely would not feel safe visiting while white. There is often a huge disparity between reported crime and actual crime, events like police stations coming under grenade attack hit the news far less than you would expect, and yet it happens. :/
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2019
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    This isn’t about video games, nor the sale off guns. It’s fact that 11 countries including France , Canada and 9 more have more mass shootings the USA. We’re number 12 in the civilized nation around the world. This is about MENTAL ILLNESS and ignoring major red flags that the insane, racist and evil people post. This was said about HOLLYWOOD multiple times. The Movies are violence spreading and promoting violence. I loved Rambo and Comando when I was 12 my 2 top action movies, Evil dead and Nightmares on Elm st. I never once thought of doing evil after them. Unfortunately Evil People well do Evil things.
    That's false research.

Looking at the original research's incident list, for example in 2015 they managed to find 4 mass shootings in USA. Reseach here:
      https://crimeresearch.org/2018/08/new-cprc-research-how-a-botched-study-fooled-the-world-about-the-u-s-share-of-mass-public-shootings-u-s-rate-is-lower-than-global-average/

At the same time-gun violence archive found 21 mass shootings in United states (using criteria of at least 4 killed, perpetrator not counted):
      https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting?year=2015&sort=desc&order=%23%20Killed

That's not to say USA would have most mass shootings, some unstable countries have even more of those. USA just has more than any of the western countries.
    Various 'orgs' might claim to have some degree of authenticity, but in the end a lot of it is opinion based with restricted data sets, whether their opinions are worth listening too is purely a personal choice. Claiming that the USA has more than other western countries is an unsupported claim and likely  means you have to severely limit what is being classed as a 'western' country, Venezuela in particular, along with other similar countries, you might even have to remove France from the list  :p
    Yes, true for Venezuela. By Western countries I meant USA, Canada, EU area, Australia and New Zealand. If you were to go to southern America, Middle East or Africa you'd find a lot of countries that have way worse problems.

Also while I'm not sure about France, I think Norway would top the death in mass shootings/residents ratio for western countries. Though that it more just a statistic anomaly because they had one huge incident and they're small enough country that it's likely enough to give them top spot.
    I think Sweden can likely give Norway a run for its money, it has a lot of no go zones (Malmo etc.) and lately its a country i definitely would not feel safe visiting while white. There is often a huge disparity between reported crime and actual crime, events like police stations coming under grenade attack hit the news far less than you would expect, and yet it happens. :/
    Not for mass shootings, which we were talking about.

For Sweden the total number of homicides per 100 000 inhabitants is 1.1, whereas USA scores 5.3. Even if Sweden has huge problems in small area of the country, total number of homicides is large enough that a single problem area doesn't affect it that much.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    That's false research.

For Sweden the total number of homicides per 100 000 inhabitants is 1.1, whereas USA scores 5.3. Even if Sweden has huge problems in small area of the country, total number of homicides is large enough that a single problem area doesn't affect it that much.
    When it comes to Sweden i wouldn't exactly call 'Malmo' a small area, and its not the only part of the country with issues, as for Mass shootings, i think its fairly safe to assume that Sweden would score quite highly, if they were actually keeping records of them and not 'sweeping them under the carpet' so to speak. :/
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Just shows you how millenials are ruining every business they touch. Wal-mart is all about the bare minimum on everything to float all those profits to the top.

Then millenials come in...stink up the show and this is the crap they do.
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    That's false research.

When it comes to Sweden i wouldn't exactly call 'Malmo' a small area, and its not the only part of the country with issues, as for Mass shootings, i think its fairly safe to assume that Sweden would score quite highly, if they were actually keeping records of them and not 'sweeping them under the carpet' so to speak. :/
    Malmö has a bit over 3% of Sweden's inhabitants. Statistically that's small.

Also Sweden is ranked third in World Press Freedom Index (USA is 48th). When something happens there it's very hard for officials to sweep it under the carpet.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    edited August 2019
    Adorable. I know lots of people who play violent video games but none have ever commited violent crimes in the real world. I feel sorry for the victims of this crime but I don't blame video games for it. I do blame mass hysteria and scapegoating video games. Which is sad.
    nycplayboy78JeffSpicoli
  • nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    nyxium said:
    Adorable. I know lots of people who play violent video games but none have ever commited violent crimes in the real world. I feel sorry for the victims of this crime but I don't blame video games for it. I do blame mass hysteria and scapegoating video games. Which is sad.
    ^^ ALL OF THIS ^^
  • samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Every game is violent if you play them right. ;)
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457

Vrika said:

Physical video game sales have been losing ground to digital sales quite rapidly. While Walmart's decision may be a reaction to shootings, they're also in a situation where they're losing competition and probably looking to give video game's space to other products

US computer and video game sales by delivery format:

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

I agree. This is an excuse to pull the trigger (pun intended) on replacing shelf space and trying to win some goodwill. Personally, I no longer purchase physical media and that's more than a trend.
    Tiller

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    well in a society that everything is flipped around what do you expect, mental illness now has a voice (democratic party) and is a way of life for them, you want to know why the polls are off and people get behind one party saying the other rigged it? its simple you have registered democrats like myself voting republican because they democrats arent for the working class anymore, they are only for the mentally ill people of america. So when they gather their information state to state, sure it looks like the wack job democratic runners are winning, but in reality they are not, the democrats have 20 people running, the republicans have 2 last i checked, it only shows they have no leadership.
    AeanderFlyByKnight

• JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    So no APEX on TV but both John Wick movies were shown on Friday night on another station. I'm sure there were probably a few more movies / TV shows with violence shown over the weekend...

I guess it is just video games that make people violent.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Watching some of these mentally retarded responses just proves it ain't video games, music, or movies. It's...

Just do the United States a favor and stay away from public places with that weirdo, illogical, xChan troll developed mess going on in your "brain".
    Aeander
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited August 2019
    Vrika said:
    That's false research.

see that's my problem with the using 4 victims as a definition for a "mass" shooting. pretty much everyone of those "low" victim count shootings was crime, drug, or mental illness targeting related parties not indiscriminate killings. getting rid of guns(or even just "assault" weapons) wouldn't have prevented those deaths. They're "mass" killings with the instrument of choice being a gun. A bomb, arson, or vehicle would have been just as effective. My problem with bans is that they don't address the three issues I listed above and merely use the tool as a scapegoat....its literally the same thing as saying video games are to blame. there is roughly 400million civilian owned guns in the US and using 21 shootings at least 4 victims rule as the number.... it puts the odds of any one gun being used in a mass killing at roughly 21/400000000 = 0.000005% (and note that's all guns not just assault weapons). now if we were able to verify the number of gamers (assuming roughly 165million in the us in 2015) involved in mass killings (which i did find an article for 2015... dunno how accurate but its realistically a stupid statistic to begin with https://www.charismanews.com/culture/52651-14-mass-murders-linked-to-violent-video-games)...so the odds of any one gamer being involved in a mass killing is 14/165000000 = 0.000008%. so the videogamers are the bigger number. Now you can see why these statistics are stupid....because they purposely exclude other factors.

Now that being said im all for more gun control..... convicted criminals and mentally ill having the right being taken away, gun licenses, limited cartridge size, even limits to open carry). but im against flat out bannings. living in a area where the nearest police station is 40mins away at 60mph with break ins and drug crime being realitively common....im going to protect myself regardless of whether it becomes illegal or not.

As for the Walmart thing...I think its just pandering in order to justify getting out of contracts. 
    Post edited by Pemmin on
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Utinni said:

The NRA has 8 million dollars "on record" in campaign donations, You know how much the gaming industry contributed ? Zero babe.... A big donut. Its cute though watching the MMORPG crowd bicker about race politics and all the other nonsense that MSM has people worked up over. I'm no Trumptard but he is right when he says drain the swamp.

I had 4 blood pressure medications recalled in the past 2 years because of cancer causing agents 4 TIMES !!! Anyone wanna know the astronomical dollar amount Big Pharma contributes to both Republicans and democrats ? Democrats being the worst offenders FYI.

This thread isn't about race politics.  This thread is about Walmart etc scapegoating videogames, which is what they and Donald Trump are doing regardless of what weird offtopic thing about "Big Pharma" and your blood pressure you are trying to inject into the thread.

Imagine thinking the NRA only has 8 million in campaign donations LOL
    Imagine thinking the gaming industry doesn't donate to politics or lobby. I know its pure coincidence that everyone is ignoring a trillion dollar industry exploiting kids with gambling loot boxes, nobody is turning a blind eye or receiving money /rolls eyes.
    id almost agree with you but criminals dont follow rules sooo theres that, more rules laws restrictions regualtions, it makes the good guys weaker and the bad guys stronger

laserit said:

Albatroes said:

The interesting thing about these Walmarts in the locations that were threatened is that they sell firearms.....but I'm sure video games is the problem.

Maybe they think that the citizens nearby might actually want to purchase a LEGAL firearm to protect themselves?
    Imagine if one deranged gunman starts shooting and 25 start shooting back. Who knows who’s the good guy? One could only imagine the carnage.

Well actually we do know the carnage and its less. In most every case the end of these shootings is not because of gunmans arm or finger got tired, nor is it that they ran out of bullets. Its because either the police or an armed citizen shot them dead or forced them to flee or surrender, and oddly enough there is almost never "collateral damage" from the armed citizen. Oddly enough it turns out the best way to stop these lunatics is to return fire...even as armed civilians.
    its why you cant beat hackers in video games XD

edited August 2019
    Keep it up
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    mmrv said:
    laserit said:

Albatroes said:

The interesting thing about these Walmarts in the locations that were threatened is that they sell firearms.....but I'm sure video games is the problem.

Maybe they think that the citizens nearby might actually want to purchase a LEGAL firearm to protect themselves?
    Imagine if one deranged gunman starts shooting and 25 start shooting back. Who knows who’s the good guy? One could only imagine the carnage.

Well actually we do know the carnage and its less. In most every case the end of these shootings is not because of gunmans arm or finger got tired, nor is it that they ran out of bullets. Its because either the police or an armed citizen shot them dead or forced them to flee or surrender, and oddly enough there is almost never "collateral damage" from the armed citizen. Oddly enough it turns out the best way to stop these lunatics is to return fire...even as armed civilians.
    Can you please link some of these mass shootings where an armed civilian saved the day. I'm not saying it doesn't happen.

Also in many of these mass shootings (the ones I've seen on the news) the shooter takes their own life.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Albatroes said:
    laserit said:
    laserit said:

Albatroes said:

Who knows.  But what I do know is that it's legal to sell and purchase guns. And that some people do wish to buy them for protection.  And those people should not in any way shape or form be shamed.  Nor should a company for selling something that is legal.

If people wish to do so, they can work to amend the Constitution.  That is the proper path to take.  If enough people support the change it will happen.
    Agreed:

In Canada its perfectly legal to own a long gun or a handgun. You need a licence to operate a car and you need a licence to operate a gun. When you travel with a gun it must be unloaded and have a trigger lock. When guns are stored in the home, ammunition and guns must be stored separately and locked up including a trigger lock. Carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited. You need to produce your firearms licence to purchase guns or ammo.

These rules aren't trampling over anyone's rights, they are just common sense imho.

One might say requiring a background check before purchasing a firearm should be common sense.....yet the NRA is against it.....I wonder why.

Its also been made re-legal as of a couple of years ago or so for people with a history of mental illness to own a firearm since the Parkland bill got resended, but I'm sure that's fine....right?

Alas, going too far into politics is a no-no on this site, but the end result of this whole thing will be the same. All this stuff is just political stunts at the end of the day for politicians to talk about in November, comparing who spoke out on what/when and what they say they will do in the future if elected. The real problem is the uneducated voter, who I wouldn't say is too dumb to research each candidate/issue, but more that they have their own things to worry about and if someone says the right thing at the right time, they'll likely get the vote.
    Because its a slippery slope...News flash we have been caving to more and more gun control, and news flash its never enough and they are constantly being eroded with the only stop in sight being "only criminals get to have guns". Sorry you don't even have to look far into history to see how this all works out once you start caving. Here we are 2019 pot is legal in most places.... (im sure you pot heads love it), and here we are calling "abortion" a reproductive right  because apparently abstinence, choosing who/when/how you have zed and 50 types of birth control are not adequate forms and ways for a women to control her body and reproductive rights. Shall I go on? Lets talk about 10 year olds freely zerging their brains with internet porn or the ohio shooters "artist music" that was rape and torture songs.... yeah you give inches before long you lost a mile wont be long before pedophilia is legal at this rate.
    strykr619
    gervaise1 said:
    Rastan1 said:
    It's not guns or games. It's sick people and bad education and parenting. I have many guns right next to my bed. Not one has jumped off and shot me yet. It's acts like this where a shooter caused a mass panic got publicity and changed huge policies that are more likely to cause a repeat. Yep. These knee jerk reactions going nationally public is more likely to cause another incident than 100,000 gun giveaways. They should pass a law where they can't cover these on the news or make the crazy person famous.
    You know how many countries just run around in the street with rifles and noone dies? Research that one.

Bad parents only exist in the US.
    Bad education only exists in the US.
    Sick people only exist in the US.

Meanwhile video games are played across the world.

Check.

Pretty sure someone pointed out across the world the us is actually 12th in mass shootings. Sorry to blow your myopic misinformation out. Again our education system is this bad, our media is this bad, that you get people oblivious to the world and reality spewing nonsense like its 1+1=2

but that said I think if you dig deeper "bad parenting" actually could be a larger issue in the US than say Ethiopia while just a random example. I think if you dig around there might be evidence to show its more prevalent in a place like america were you have 50+% of kids being raised by single parent homes, where the family unit has been destroyed there arent even grandparents and aunts an uncles around to help raise kids. Kids are raised on the internet and by day care centers.

also in the name of "Freedom" its actually pretty hard to have a person committed for mental illness in this country so we might actually have more sick people running around per capita than others. Just theory crafting I don;t know the answers but there could be something to some of these issues being more prevalent in some countries than others.

Pemmin said:

there is roughly 400million civilian owned guns in the US and using 21 shootings at least 4 victims rule as the number.... it puts the odds of any one gun being used in a mass killing at roughly 21/400000000 = 0.00000005% (and note that's all guns not just assault weapons)
    No, using those numbers chance is 21 / 400 000 000 * 100% = 0.000005% per year. You forgot to multiply by 100% and have 2 extra zeroes in your number.

Pemmin said:

Now that being said im all for more gun control..... convicted criminals and mentally ill having the right being taken away, gun licenses, limited cartridge size, even limits to open carry). but im against flat out bannings.
    I actually agree with you. I'm not advocating for a total banning. I think that there should be license, rules about storing them safely, and limitation to make the guns less effective. 

Vrika said:
    That's false research.

Part of it is what you define as a "mass shooting". Are gang related drive bys mass shootings? Or are they just gang violence. I think regardless the point is these are not as unique to the USA as we are lead to believe by the agenda driven misinformation media, and we rarely hear about events in other countries anyways because we focus on our own nations for the most part which  makes sense :)

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    mmrv said:
    Albatroes said:
    laserit said:
    laserit said:

Albatroes said:

Who knows.  But what I do know is that it's legal to sell and purchase guns. And that some people do wish to buy them for protection.  And those people should not in any way shape or form be shamed.  Nor should a company for selling something that is legal.

If people wish to do so, they can work to amend the Constitution.  That is the proper path to take.  If enough people support the change it will happen.
    Agreed:

In Canada its perfectly legal to own a long gun or a handgun. You need a licence to operate a car and you need a licence to operate a gun. When you travel with a gun it must be unloaded and have a trigger lock. When guns are stored in the home, ammunition and guns must be stored separately and locked up including a trigger lock. Carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited. You need to produce your firearms licence to purchase guns or ammo.

These rules aren't trampling over anyone's rights, they are just common sense imho.

One might say requiring a background check before purchasing a firearm should be common sense.....yet the NRA is against it.....I wonder why.

Its also been made re-legal as of a couple of years ago or so for people with a history of mental illness to own a firearm since the Parkland bill got resended, but I'm sure that's fine....right?

Alas, going too far into politics is a no-no on this site, but the end result of this whole thing will be the same. All this stuff is just political stunts at the end of the day for politicians to talk about in November, comparing who spoke out on what/when and what they say they will do in the future if elected. The real problem is the uneducated voter, who I wouldn't say is too dumb to research each candidate/issue, but more that they have their own things to worry about and if someone says the right thing at the right time, they'll likely get the vote.
    Because its a slippery slope...News flash we have been caving to more and more gun control, and news flash its never enough and they are constantly being eroded with the only stop in sight being "only criminals get to have guns". Sorry you don't even have to look far into history to see how this all works out once you start caving. Here we are 2019 pot is legal in most places.... (im sure you pot heads love it), and here we are calling "abortion" a reproductive right  because apparently abstinence, choosing who/when/how you have zed and 50 types of birth control are not adequate forms and ways for a women to control her body and reproductive rights. Shall I go on? Lets talk about 10 year olds freely zerging their brains with internet porn or the ohio shooters "artist music" that was rape and torture songs.... yeah you give inches before long you lost a mile wont be long before pedophilia is legal at this rate.
    It was happens when a society starts to except what was once called immoral as acceptable behavior. People keep harping about how great a President JFK was but he signed into law the bill that destroyed the Mental health system in the US. Their were more guns per capita in American (AND LESS GUN VIOLENCE) Pre 1970 (this is when the Fed's started enacting nationwide gun controls). 
    What f#$%ing slippery slope? Legally owning and operating a car has more caveats than purchasing and owning a firearm.

Dummies have been running this whole "slippery slope" thing since the automatic rifle ban in 1986. Imagine, the same idiots who were OK with automatic rifles being mainstream are "slippery sloping" everything remotely common sense after.

The NRA has NEVER proposed ANYTHING. They just want unmitigated guns and bullets of every style everywhere. Their plebington card holders desperately need discounts and free trucker hats because of "ninjas" and incoming zombie apocalypse.

The NRA and "gun enthusiast" sheep are the problem. By all means blame EVERYTHING else though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯