Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is beta?

Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
Make MMORPG's Great Again!

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited August 2019
    Viper482 said:
    "MJ's Pathfinding Demo"

Next weekend they are opening up the game to Beta 2 players, fyi.
    KyleranHatefullAxxartweedledumb99
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    "MJ's Pathfinding Demo"

I just can't believe they are trying to sell the fact they are in beta phase when it looks more like alpha.
    GdemamimeddyckAxxar
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Viper482 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    "MJ's Pathfinding Demo"

I just can't believe they are trying to sell the fact they are in beta phase when it looks more like alpha.
    That is not actually the beta.  Thats demonstrating a dev tool
    mcrippinsAgent_JosephultimateduckHatefullNephethtweedledumb99Gdemamibcbully

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Viper482 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    "MJ's Pathfinding Demo"

The fact they are still in this phase of working out NPC pathfinding is what I am talking about. Nothing that you expect to be complete in a beta is complete in this game.
    GdemamiSinsai
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Viper482 said:

The fact they are still in this phase of working out NPC pathfinding is what I am talking about. Nothing that you expect to be complete in a beta is complete in this game.
    Are you a game developer? Just curious to know how credible your opinion actually is. 
    GdemamiHatefullSinsaiNephethtweedledumb99Roin
    Viper482 said:
    Viper482 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    "MJ's Pathfinding Demo"

Personally, as long as they let me into the game to see for myself (which they do) and let me refund my money if I grow frustrated (they do) I'm fine with it.  Is it a joke that they missed their release date by years and years?  Sure... but at least if the joke gets to be too much I can get my money back.  Hasn't hit that level yet.

Gdemamitweedledumb99

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

mcrippins said:
    Viper482 said:

Are you a game developer? Just curious to know how credible your opinion actually is. 

First of all, my opinion is just that....MY opinion. Saying that, I have been playing PC games since the early 90's and have participated in dozens of REAL alphas and betas so yea, I've got an idea in MY mind as to what a beta stage should look like. I BACKED this game with $100 of MY money, so forgive me if I don't give a shit if you find my opinion credible or not. Calling alpha beta does not make it beta. When's the last time you played this game Mr. Credibility?
    RenndGdemamimeddyckSinsaiNephethesc-joconnornatpick
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Viper482 said:
    mcrippins said:
    Viper482 said:

First of all, my opinion is just that....MY opinion. Saying that, I have been playing PC games since the early 90's and have participated in dozens of REAL alphas and betas so yea, I've got an idea in MY mind as to what a beta stage should look like. I BACKED this game with $100 of MY money, so forgive me if I don't give a shit if you find my opinion credible or not. Calling alpha beta does not make it beta. When's the last time you played this game Mr. Credibility?
    Not sure if there's an NDA, so I'm not going to risk breaking it. If you've really been gaming and beta testing since the 90s, then you should also know that what passes for alpha/beta these days could be anything. I asked if your opinion was credible because I genuinely wanted to know if you were someone from the industry who had participated in the games' testing and made that statement. Because that would hold some water. As it turns out, you're not that person.
    RenndGdemamiHatefullSinsaiNephethtweedledumb99
    Viper482 said:
    mcrippins said:
    Viper482 said:

Well then, next weekend you can log in and see for yourself. Remember, what they have been working on, at least from my brief glances at what they send me because they make it so boring and dry, is combat, getting huge amounts of players on the screen, and building. As far as I knew, they weren't going to have npc's so perhaps npc's is a new thing. In any case, log in and see for yourself.
    KyleranHatefullSinsaitweedledumb99

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    mcrippins said:
    Viper482 said:

Well then, next weekend you can log in and see for yourself. Remember, what they have been working on, at least from my brief glances at what they send me because they make it so boring and dry, is combat, getting huge amounts of players on the screen, and building. As far as I knew, they weren't going to have npc's so perhaps npc's is a new thing. In any case, log in and see for yourself.
    All I can guess is that those NPCs are mostly guards.   I think MJ at one point also talked about NPCs but that they would not be there for XP.  Been so long since the KS though... who knows.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    In hindsight it was a mistake for this stage of development to be called "Beta 1" instead of "Alpha 2." The latter more accurately describes it.
    GdemamiViper482Hatefulltweedledumb99

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    mcrippins said:
    Viper482 said:

I do login every now and then to see progress....which is exactly why I don't believe this game is in beta. From what I have experienced it is still very much an alpha. They missed several beta dates and ended up just calling it beta to avoid another, which is dishonest imo. I would put this game as not fully finished product for another 2 years. But knowing them "early access" will be right around the corner.
    Gdemami
    meddyck said:
    In hindsight it was a mistake for this stage of development to be called "Beta 1" instead of "Alpha 2." The latter more accurately describes it.
    Exactly my point.
    Gdemami
    mcrippins said:
    Viper482 said:
    mcrippins said:
    Viper482 said:

Not sure if there's an NDA, so I'm not going to risk breaking it. If you've really been gaming and beta testing since the 90s, then you should also know that what passes for alpha/beta these days could be anything. I asked if your opinion was credible because I genuinely wanted to know if you were someone from the industry who had participated in the games' testing and made that statement. Because that would hold some water. As it turns out, you're not that person.
    Yes, in the days of early release yes, beta/alpha could mean anything. And no, I am not that person....I am a gamer/paying customer on forums who has an opinion on a product I put $100 out for. Sorry to disappoint, can't say I care.
    Gdemami
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2019
    meddyck said:
    ...you remind me of people calling F2P not being "FREE" because you can spend money in the game.
    [Deleted User]Viper482alkarionlog
    Viper482 said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    mcrippins said:
    Viper482 said:

I do login every now and then to see progress....which is exactly why I don't believe this game is in beta. From what I have experienced it is still very much an alpha. They missed several beta dates and ended up just calling it beta to avoid another, which is dishonest imo. I would put this game as not fully finished product for another 2 years. But knowing them "early access" will be right around the corner.
    Isn't the actual difference between alpha and beta that alpha still has new features added/features subtracted, while beta is supposed to see no new features and that what is in the product is then to be worked on, fixed, polished?

I can't say, I only have beta 2 access so have not signed in to see what's what. But if they aren't introducing anything "new" then no matter the state of things it would be considered beta. Well, that's what's supposed to happen anyway. 

Not sure what game developers are thinking these days.
    Viper482

edited August 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Isn't the actual difference between alpha and beta
    No.

The only difference is that Beta comes after Alpha. That is all there is to those designations.
    tweedledumb99[Deleted User]kenguru23Viper482alkarionlog
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited August 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    "MJ's Pathfinding Demo"

Did they formally announce they are moving in the Beta 2 phase, or is this still Beta 1 with access to a broader pool of testers?

World of difference whether the former vs the latter.
    Hatefull

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Viper482 said:
    "MJ's Pathfinding Demo"

Did they formally announce they are moving in the Beta 2 phase, or is this still Beta 1 with access to a broader pool of testers?

World of difference whether the former vs the latter.
    I think it's beta 1 with a broader pool of testers.
    Kylerantweedledumb99Hatefull

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I gave $325 for this game and I, just like you, get the Alpha/Beta/IT tester invites that come out ever few weeks.  If you don't get those log in to their site and make sure you're signed up for them.  Then you can log in during a test session and see their progress.
    Hatefull
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Gdemami said:
    Sovrath said:
    Isn't the actual difference between alpha and beta
    No.

The only difference is that Beta comes after Alpha. That is all there is to those designations.
    False. @Sovrath is correct. 

Alpha is still systems development, in beta, all systems are more or less complete it's just tweaking and making sure they work together.
    GdemamiSinsaitweedledumb99

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Hatefull said:
    Alpha is still systems development, in beta, all systems are more or less complete it's just tweaking and making sure they work together.
    ...armchair dev manual quote. 

[Deleted User]alkarionlog
    jeeshadow said:
    Does Beta 2 mean a huge update then?  Is Beta 2 a more persistant test or is it still just chosen weekends?

Don't know, but it's important to note that they still consider this "beta 1."
    tweedledumb99

Gdemami said:
    Hatefull said:
    ...armchair dev manual quote. 

If you have a copy can you send it on to these Crowdfunding devs?  Seems they all could use a dose of common sense.  Also, please highlight chapter 2: Gantt Charts, Their Uses and Limitations.

I found it most useful.
    GdemamiKylerantweedledumb99[Deleted User]

If you have a copy can you send it on to these Crowdfunding devs?  
    ...apparently I do not have one but you have enough experience in armchair development to write one yourself.
    [Deleted User]alkarionlog