Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Red’s Read on Exclusives - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    mbrodie said:
    yeah the perception of the few fans who were so morally outraged that they made death threats and harassed the devs is not the perception that anyone should concern themselves with.

Secondly, i pray some day you don't own businesses and have to make decisions that affect people in a negative way but do so for the best of your business, it's not easy making the hard calls but sometimes you have too.

I completely agree with their decision as my wife and i own 3 small businesses i've been in the position where i had to make hard decisions and it wasn't always favorable but we're here and stronger now because of it.

I'm sure regardless of how it's perceived the game will do fine
    Amazing how different the world looks once you own/operate your own SMB, isn't it?  =)
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Ultimately, "exclusivity" hurts everyone. It hurts the consumer because then don't get the benefits of the lower costs offered by those companies offering exclusivity. It hurts the gamers because some gamers will not see that at game is on another platform. It hurts developers because their product is not being offered in a larger market where eveyone has the chance to purchase it.
    elveone

Let's party like it is 1863!

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    edited August 2019
    mbrodie said:

yeah the perception of the few fans who were so morally outraged that they made death threats and harassed the devs is not the perception that anyone should concern themselves with.

Secondly, i pray some day you don't own businesses and have to make decisions that affect people in a negative way but do so for the best of your business, it's not easy making the hard calls but sometimes you have too.

I completely agree with their decision as my wife and i own 3 small businesses i've been in the position where i had to make hard decisions and it wasn't always favorable but we're here and stronger now because of it.

No one should be receiving death threats or harassing anyone over a game (or anything else really). I think 99% of people would agree with that.  Unfortunately, it's the actions of the minority of people that seem drag everyone else down.  It doesn't change the fact that the developer of Ooblets acted like the entitled, toxic man-baby that he accused anyone who doesn't like Epic and their practice of buying exclusives of being.  And that was BEFORE the he started getting harassed and threatened.  That dev is clearly an asshole so my sympathy level for him is the same for when bad things happen to other people who act like assholes.  Ooblets dev guy really isn't the hill people want to die on for this issue.

Post edited by Ginaz on
    elveonePhry

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    Gruug said:
    Ultimately, "exclusivity" hurts everyone. It hurts the consumer because then don't get the benefits of the lower costs offered by those companies offering exclusivity. It hurts the gamers because some gamers will not see that at game is on another platform. It hurts developers because their product is not being offered in a larger market where eveyone has the chance to purchase it.
    So it hurts the consumer because he doesn't receive something he wouldn't have received otherwise anyway? And it hurts "gamers" which are apparently different from the "consumer" because some of them would not look at a different platform because... why? Oh, and apparently the developers are hurt because although multiple stores have the same target market when something is exclusive to one store then this market is limited in some way?

And of course let's forget the fact that store exclusive content is paid by the store which means the store subsidizes the creation of new content for the market so in the end exclusives would mean more money for people developing products in the market and more variety of products in the market for the consumer. It doesn't matter when in the time of development money goes to publishers and developers - in the end there is more money in the publishers and developers which would mean more money to reinvest in development for new games.
    Red_ThomasAeander
    Ginaz said:
    mbrodie said:

No one should be receiving death threats or harassing anyone over a game (or anything else really). I think 99% of people would agree with that.  Unfortunately, it's the actions of the minority of people that seem drag everyone else down.  It doesn't change the fact that the developer of Ooblets acted like the entitled, toxic man-baby that he accused anyone who doesn't like Epic and their practice of buying exclusives of being.  And that was BEFORE the he started getting harassed and threatened.  That dev is clearly an asshole so my sympathy level for him is the same for when bad things happen to other people who act like assholes.  Ooblets dev guy really isn't the hill people want to die on for this issue.

So no one should receive death threats but he kind of deserves it, eh? Great stance to have!

Also on the same topic I am kind of sick of people who interpret humor as an insult in order to justify being a dick while pursuing their own agenda.
  • EvilGamingEvilGaming Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I'm sick and tired of new DRM I already have Origin, Uplay, and Steam oh and then there is the windows marketplace and blizzard bs thanks god destiny is going to steam........ if you cant release on on steam origin or Uplay then I'm not going to buy your game period and if it does look good well ill just wait and pirate it and not worry about drm
    elveone
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    im not going to read all of it, im just here to say what ever makes the games cheaper for me im all for it. i dont give a crap who sells the game or what rich company loses money.
  • eolseeolse Member UncommonPosts: 80
    hell yeah it's bad for consumers , how many new release games have we been able to buy 5-10$ off on sites like greenman gaming , i mean Right now if i want borderlands 3 pre order i have to pay the FULL 100 bucks to get the season pass with it , any other game before that on sites like greenman I could buy it at like 80-85$ witch made me buy that verson of that game , Ive played 1,000 hours of BL 1 and 2 and right now im skipping BL 3 because they are not interested in there Fan base . Epic games wants to get more sells than they should make compitition and REASONS to buy it on there store by like having a better interface than Steam , or better customer support or what ever reason , FORCEing people to buy on Epic because they try to monoplize the market and screwing over consumers does not make me want to do any Business with any companys that will put money and greed over that fans & consumers . means they have no faith in there product anyways.
    elveone
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited August 2019
    eolse said:
    hell yeah it's bad for consumers , how many new release games have we been able to buy 5-10$ off on sites like greenman gaming , i mean Right now if i want borderlands 3 pre order i have to pay the FULL 100 bucks to get the season pass with it , any other game before that on sites like greenman I could buy it at like 80-85$ witch made me buy that verson of that game , Ive played 1,000 hours of BL 1 and 2 and right now im skipping BL 3 because they are not interested in there Fan base . Epic games wants to get more sells than they should make compitition and REASONS to buy it on there store by like having a better interface than Steam , or better customer support or what ever reason , FORCEing people to buy on Epic because they try to monoplize the market and screwing over consumers does not make me want to do any Business with any companys that will put money and greed over that fans & consumers . means they have no faith in there product anyways.
    They have the Base Game for 59.99, Base Game + Digital Content for 79.99 or Base Game + Digital Content + Season Pass for 99.99, just an FYI. I'm not sure about other Dev's, but even at full price of $40 for a Season Pass from GearBox will be a good deal, because they usually do DLC's right. I think these price points are set by the Dev and not EGS right? I could be wrong.

I have so much to play right now that I'm prbly going to wait for the Ultimate GOTY edition of BL3 wherever it's cheapest and on sale when I finally get to a place to finally play it.

I'm guessing EGS will have some sale of it the minute their exclusivity time runs out as well, but I may still wait to get the UGOTY for $20 or so by the time I get to it.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    elveone said:
    Ginaz said:
    mbrodie said:

So no one should receive death threats but he kind of deserves it, eh? Great stance to have!

Also on the same topic I am kind of sick of people who interpret humor as an insult in order to justify being a dick while pursuing their own agenda.
    Never said he deserves to receive death threats or any of the rest of the harassment he's received.  It's just that my GAF Factor is usually pretty low when bad things happen to bad people or people who do bad things.  Like, if someone was to rob my mother of her purse on the street and then when running away he was hit by a car, I wouldn't be all that upset about it.  The thief certainly wouldn't have deserved being injured or killed just for stealing a purse but would anyone honestly feel too sorry for him?  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Ginaz said:
    mbrodie said:

Hate to tell you, but the actions of the community kind of proved his point didn't it...

the original comment was made tongue in cheek, he was trying to be a smartass to make light of the situation until the community used it as some kind of personal attack against them and started making death threats etc...

Regardless - if someone calls you entitled and your response is to threaten their life and harass them, maybe you need to reassess your priorities and see a psychologist
    mbrodie said:

Amazing how different the world looks once you own/operate your own SMB, isn't it?  =)
    yeah it's easy to have an opinion where you've never had to face the decisions which impact people you have a responsibility to financially.... which hurts people you've employed in the short term but strengthens your position in the long...

not every decision is made about whats happening right now, sometimes you have to aim for the long game.
    elveoneRed_Thomas
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    edited August 2019
    eolse said:
    i guess the fact that greenman integrates into the epic API and you can buy and add keys from 3rd party sites to add to epic has eluded you

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/borderlands-3-pc/

i don't wanna say you've stuck your head in the sand and just ignore the actual facts... but you ignore actual facts.

Do you have anymore fallacies you'd like to spread here today?

Also i've had a much better customer support experience on Epic than i have with steam in the past, but obviuously experiences can differ from person to person, also the UI is subjective too.

elveoneRed_Thomas
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    elveone said:
    Ginaz said:
    mbrodie said:

If you go out into the street and start randomly insulting people, eventually someone will likely punch you, sure you can complain about it, but nobody would really take your complaint seriously, thats pretty much the situation the Ooblets dev finds himself in, whether he deserved it is a matter of opinion but nobody was really surprised he was getting flack for his behaviour. :/
    elveone
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    We don't need things to end up like Consoles do with their own games. I am tired of having so many launchers. I play a lot of mmorpgs and all of them have their own launchers! I have like 12 freaking launchers. Though, at least even a lot of the basic Korean launchers are better than Epic's crap.
    mbrodieelveone
    Phry said:
    elveone said:
    Ginaz said:
    mbrodie said:

If you go out into the street and start randomly insulting people, eventually someone will likely punch you, sure you can complain about it, but nobody would really take your complaint seriously, thats pretty much the situation the Ooblets dev finds himself in, whether he deserved it is a matter of opinion but nobody was really surprised he was getting flack for his behaviour. :/
    It is more like telling a joke on the street and suddenly mob comes from around the corner and starts beating you up.
    Ginaz said:
    elveone said:
    Ginaz said:
    mbrodie said:

Never said he deserves to receive death threats or any of the rest of the harassment he's received.  It's just that my GAF Factor is usually pretty low when bad things happen to bad people or people who do bad things.  Like, if someone was to rob my mother of her purse on the street and then when running away he was hit by a car, I wouldn't be all that upset about it.  The thief certainly wouldn't have deserved being injured or killed just for stealing a purse but would anyone honestly feel too sorry for him?  Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    Yeah, he did the bad thing of ensuring he and his wife profit from several years of work that they have invested and DARED TO JOKE ABOUT IT!
    eolse said:
    https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/borderlands-3-pc/
    https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/borderlands-3
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/borderlands-3

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    elveone said:
    Phry said:
    elveone said:
    Ginaz said:
    mbrodie said:

It is more like telling a joke on the street and suddenly mob comes from around the corner and starts beating you up.
    If the guy had been 'telling jokes' i dare say he would have got more than a few of them in reply, instead he went and insulted the gaming community in general, that never ends well.
    edited August 2019
    Phry said:

If the guy had been 'telling jokes' i dare say he would have got more than a few of them in reply, instead he went and insulted the gaming community in general, that never ends well.
    No, he didn't insult anyone really. Hence my previous point of "I am kind of sick of people who interpret humor as an insult in order to justify being a dick while pursuing their own agenda". The anti-epic mob went nuts against a guy who tried to make light of a situation that should not be taken seriously to begin with.
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Phry said:
    Well, whoever punched you would have committed assault, and that's a crime, so maybe not your best allegorical example.
  • sexydadeesexydadee Member UncommonPosts: 15
    i'm starting to feel a 2nd round of the civil war approaching. Having said that, the article mentioned that competition creates innovation, but in the case of EPIC vs Steam, it only created hatred and division. If this was GOG vs STEAM, then the writer's case is on point.

Somehow, there's just something about EPIC that people can't stomach. I believe that's the ultimate reason why this civil war exists because the steam side just can't imagine how people can accept EPIC? while the other side can't be bothered to look at a company's background as long as they can play games because, f*ck social responsibility.
    Aeander
    sexydadee said:
    i'm starting to feel a 2nd round of the civil war approaching. Having said that, the article mentioned that competition creates innovation, but in the case of EPIC vs Steam, it only created hatred and division. If this was GOG vs STEAM, then the writer's case is on point.

Somehow, there's just something about EPIC that people can't stomach. I believe that's the ultimate reason why this civil war exists because the steam side just can't imagine how people can accept EPIC? while the other side can't be bothered to look at a company's background as long as they can play games because, f*ck social responsibility.
    Please stop with the propaganda...
    lahnmir
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    elveone said:
    sexydadee said:

Social responsibility.... you can’t make this shit up.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    elveoneRed_Thomas
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    edited August 2019
    elveone said:
    sexydadee said:

Well he's not wrong....
    Anything you don't agree with is propaganda? are you Chinese?
    edited August 2019
    Daakkon said:
    elveone said:
    sexydadee said:

Well he's not wrong....
    Anything you don't agree with is propaganda? are you Chinese?
    I certainly am not but I would be interested in what do you call baseless statements meant to ellicit emotional response propagated throughout a community without any empirical evidence?