Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESPN, Walmart Back Away From Violent Games After Mass Shootings - MMORPG.com

Comments

• kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    So are they pulling all the violent movies also?
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Lets say you intentionally wanted to brainwash an entire generation of young people, teaching them not to value human life, while desensitizing them to violence, how would you do it?
    AeanderTuor7mmrv
  • UntamedgunnerUntamedgunner Member UncommonPosts: 56
    This isn’t about video games, nor the sale off guns. It’s fact that 11 countries including France , Canada and 9 more have more mass shootings the USA. We’re number 12 in the civilized nation around the world. This is about MENTAL ILLNESS and ignoring major red flags that the insane, racist and evil people post. This was said about HOLLYWOOD multiple times. The Movies are violence spreading and promoting violence. I loved Rambo and Comando when I was 12 my 2 top action movies, Evil dead and Nightmares on Elm st. I never once thought of doing evil after them. Unfortunately Evil People well do Evil things.
    Tuor7
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    ESPN? As in the Sports Network? What do they have to do with Video Games? 
    Gorwe
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2019
    klash2def said:
    e-sports, i think they were showing or going to show "violent" PvP games on ESPN for some reason, not anymore.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2019
    laserit said:
    laserit said:

Albatroes said:

The interesting thing about these Walmarts in the locations that were threatened is that they sell firearms.....but I'm sure video games is the problem.

Maybe they think that the citizens nearby might actually want to purchase a LEGAL firearm to protect themselves?
    Imagine if one deranged gunman starts shooting and 25 start shooting back. Who knows who’s the good guy? One could only imagine the carnage.
    Who knows.  But what I do know is that it's legal to sell and purchase guns. And that some people do wish to buy them for protection.  And those people should not in any way shape or form be shamed.  Nor should a company for selling something that is legal.

If people wish to do so, they can work to amend the Constitution.  That is the proper path to take.  If enough people support the change it will happen.
    Agreed:

In Canada its perfectly legal to own a long gun or a handgun. You need a licence to operate a car and you need a licence to operate a gun. When you travel with a gun it must be unloaded and have a trigger lock. When guns are stored in the home, ammunition and guns must be stored separately and locked up including a trigger lock. Carrying a concealed weapon is prohibited. You need to produce your firearms licence to purchase guns or ammo.

These rules aren't trampling over anyone's rights, they are just common sense imho.

One might say requiring a background check before purchasing a firearm should be common sense.....yet the NRA is against it.....I wonder why.

Its also been made re-legal as of a couple of years ago or so for people with a history of mental illness to own a firearm since the Parkland bill got resended, but I'm sure that's fine....right?

Alas, going too far into politics is a no-no on this site, but the end result of this whole thing will be the same. All this stuff is just political stunts at the end of the day for politicians to talk about in November, comparing who spoke out on what/when and what they say they will do in the future if elected. The real problem is the uneducated voter, who I wouldn't say is too dumb to research each candidate/issue, but more that they have their own things to worry about and if someone says the right thing at the right time, they'll likely get the vote.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm still waiting for them to stop selling violent movies
    Movies....

I learned how to make a dynamite birthday cake from Bugs Bunny ;)
    rojoArcueidTacticalZombeh

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    Donald Trump’s younger brother is on the board of directors for Zenimax.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    klash2def said:
    espn has been showing video games for years.
  • MD24MD24 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    A typical example of extremism form one kind to another.
    Tuor7
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Gorwe said:
    Is this true? If so, everyone NEEDS to stop playing any zenimax game, that includes ESO, skyrim, anything that zenimax touches. Because that is a serious threat to the game industry
    Come on, don't give in. Just because there's a Trump on Board, it doesn't mean you shouldn't play things you like and that make you happy. Be reasonable.
    They also have lots of employees who make the games. I don't think there's a trump on the design team for ESO.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    Is this true? If so, everyone NEEDS to stop playing any zenimax game, that includes ESO, skyrim, anything that zenimax touches. Because that is a serious threat to the game industry
    It is true.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-08/game-maker-joining-gun-violence-discussion-has-a-trump-on-board
  • UntamedgunnerUntamedgunner Member UncommonPosts: 56
    As you check that horrible horrendous shooting in California with that sick insane terrorist shooting the garlic festival. California has the strictest gun laws and perhaps the entire world, the strictest gun laws in the United States. I say again it’s not about video games, gun control, And violent movies it’s a mental health issue and we need to look out for each other and identify these knots online before they can act
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    As you check that horrible horrendous shooting in California with that sick insane terrorist shooting the garlic festival. California has the strictest gun laws and perhaps the entire world, the strictest gun laws in the United States. I say again it’s not about video games, gun control, And violent movies it’s a mental health issue and we need to look out for each other and identify these knots online before they can act
    I probably see a dozen or so people that just don't look right, like they are messed up....Most seem to be socially maladjusted and those are the ones I fear the most. Go hang out at Walmart for any length of time and you're bound to see some freaks and wierdos.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited August 2019
    Place the blame on that 3 letter firearm group that most of you goofball plebs need so badly to get 20% discounts.

Any time somebody tries to do something even as an olive branch towards the gun control issue Wayne LaPierre is like "nah" and leashes all your state officials. Anybody who says something remotely logical as it pertains to firearms gets called a "liberal cuck" even when they're owners.

Now Agent Orange is backed into a corner and had to blame video games and indirectly insinuate that a certain tribe is predisposed to mental health issues. This the silly fallout that happens.

At least there's no tyrannical background checks on firearm purchases AMIRITE? #DontTreadOnMe :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Rastan1 said:
    It's not guns or games. It's sick people and bad education and parenting. I have many guns right next to my bed. Not one has jumped off and shot me yet. It's acts like this where a shooter caused a mass panic got publicity and changed huge policies that are more likely to cause a repeat. Yep. These knee jerk reactions going nationally public is more likely to cause another incident than 100,000 gun giveaways. They should pass a law where they can't cover these on the news or make the crazy person famous.
    You know how many countries just run around in the street with rifles and noone dies? Research that one.

Bad parents only exist in the US.
    Bad education only exists in the US.
    Sick people only exist in the US.

Meanwhile video games are played across the world.

Check.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MORAL responsibilities or is this in fear of future law suits?
    I would expect laws are going to change and some fancy lawyers will see easy pay days because all they need to see is some psychiatrist's claim there is a distinct pattern,then all they need is ONE court to back up the lawyers then lawsuits will run rampant.

Yes as mentioned,there is the ever fear of lobbyist's out there trying to achieve an agenda and to get it they pay a ton of money to their local governments.Those lobbyist's have rich backers as well and so goes the ever revolving door of money and scum.

Tuor7

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhaedruslivesPhaedruslives Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Wizardry said:
    MORAL responsibilities or is this in fear of future law suits?
    I would expect laws are going to change and some fancy lawyers will see easy pay days because all they need to see is some psychiatrist's claim there is a distinct pattern,then all they need is ONE court to back up the lawyers then lawsuits will run rampant.

Yes as mentioned,there is the ever fear of lobbyist's out there trying to achieve an agenda and to get it they pay a ton of money to their local governments.Those lobbyist's have rich backers as well and so goes the ever revolving door of money and scum.

This is a whoosh, in my opinion. I see so many people trumpeting these same talking points. Blaming corporations and lobbyists doesn't make any sense. They took no oaths of loyalty to you. they have a clear mission to out-earn their competitors. We don't hold the political class accountable, as though they have no agency of their own and it isn't really their fault they're signing on the various dotted lines. What's worse, the highwayman that rapes and robs, or the Sheriff who accepts that Highwayman's compensation to turn a blind eye? It seems pretty clear to me this is a moral failure for the entire political establishment and pointing a finger at the people they're taking money from keeps the spotlight shining on something other than their own transgressions. 

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Poorna Shankar
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    This isn’t about video games, nor the sale off guns. It’s fact that 11 countries including France , Canada and 9 more have more mass shootings the USA. We’re number 12 in the civilized nation around the world. This is about MENTAL ILLNESS and ignoring major red flags that the insane, racist and evil people post. This was said about HOLLYWOOD multiple times. The Movies are violence spreading and promoting violence. I loved Rambo and Comando when I was 12 my 2 top action movies, Evil dead and Nightmares on Elm st. I never once thought of doing evil after them. Unfortunately Evil People well do Evil things.
    That's false research.

Looking at the original research's incident list, for example in 2015 they managed to find 4 mass shootings in USA. Reseach here:
      https://crimeresearch.org/2018/08/new-cprc-research-how-a-botched-study-fooled-the-world-about-the-u-s-share-of-mass-public-shootings-u-s-rate-is-lower-than-global-average/

At the same time-gun violence archive found 21 mass shootings in United states (using criteria of at least 4 killed, perpetrator not counted):
      https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting?year=2015&sort=desc&order=%23%20Killed

That's not to say USA would have most mass shootings, some unstable countries have even more of those. USA just has more than any of the western countries.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Vrika said:
    That's false research.

Looking at the original research's incident list, for example in 2015 they managed to find 4 mass shootings in USA. Reseach here:
      https://crimeresearch.org/2018/08/new-cprc-research-how-a-botched-study-fooled-the-world-about-the-u-s-share-of-mass-public-shootings-u-s-rate-is-lower-than-global-average/

At the same time-gun violence archive found 21 mass shootings in United states (using criteria of at least 4 killed, perpetrator not counted):
      https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting?year=2015&sort=desc&order=%23%20Killed

That's not to say USA would have most mass shootings, some unstable countries have even more of those. USA just has more than any of the western countries.
    Various 'orgs' might claim to have some degree of authenticity, but in the end a lot of it is opinion based with restricted data sets, whether their opinions are worth listening too is purely a personal choice. Claiming that the USA has more than other western countries is an unsupported claim and likely  means you have to severely limit what is being classed as a 'western' country, Venezuela in particular, along with other similar countries, you might even have to remove France from the list  :p
    Phry said:
    Vrika said:
    That's false research.

Various 'orgs' might claim to have some degree of authenticity, but in the end a lot of it is opinion based with restricted data sets, whether their opinions are worth listening too is purely a personal choice. Claiming that the USA has more than other western countries is an unsupported claim and likely  means you have to severely limit what is being classed as a 'western' country, Venezuela in particular, along with other similar countries, you might even have to remove France from the list  :p
    Yes, true for Venezuela. By Western countries I meant USA, Canada, EU area, Australia and New Zealand. If you were to go to southern America, Middle East or Africa you'd find a lot of countries that have way worse problems.

Also while I'm not sure about France, I think Norway would top the death in mass shootings/residents ratio for western countries. Though that it more just a statistic anomaly because they had one huge incident and they're small enough country that it's likely enough to give them top spot.

edited August 2019
    EDIT: Deleted