Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDO is F2P up to level 10.

2»

Comments

• yarpen800yarpen800 Member UncommonPosts: 7

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

Between the levels 9-20, there are only 14 F2P quests. None of them level 19-20.

Between 12-18, there are 6 F2P quests.

The 1 or 2 adventure packs that you could earn with favor might only add 3-4 more quests each. Even if you farm for favor for months, you might only get maybe 3 or 4 free adventure packs adding ~12 quests.

This game is actually good enough to consider paying for VIP if you really like it. But if you don't expect to pay a dime, don't expect to play for long.

Dude, first of all you can repeat quests untill you go insane. Getting to lvl 10 takes quite some time, a few weeks at least. If you like the game why not pay one month sub? The content you unlock is well worth the money you spend. Unless you are broke or 12, but then you should find a job or go play with some legos. Anyways, if you want a completly free game go check out piratebay, there's plenty of them there lol.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by yarpen800

Between the levels 9-20, there are only 14 F2P quests. None of them level 19-20.

The 1 or 2 adventure packs that you could earn with favor might only add 3-4 more quests each. Even if you farm for favor for months, you might only get maybe 3 or 4 free adventure packs adding ~12 quests.

This game is actually good enough to consider paying for VIP if you really like it. But if you don't expect to pay a dime, don't expect to play for long.

Dude, first of all you can repeat quests untill you go insane. Getting to lvl 10 takes quite some time, a few weeks at least. If you like the game why not pay one month sub? The content you unlock is well worth the money you spend. Unless you are broke or 12, but then you should find a job or go play with some legos. Anyways, if you want a completly free game go check out piratebay, there's plenty of them there lol.

Getting to level 10 takes a few days not weeks.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

heh i say go premium all the way vip are getting screwed all over all the time lately u get some bogus advantages for something  u will continually need to pay for.

the real truth is this u try ddo as f2p if u like the gameplay and how the mechanics work and see youself playing for atleat 1n half years go premium which mean buy packs as you go as you need em.  i suggest u look over the adventure pack reviews (in the ddo forums) and choose wisely

consider vip have to "buy" new stuff now too like the arti class lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• You can definitely get the higher up content without paying, but basically from a practical standpoint it means you need to do the favor per server trick.

The OP is correct that if you relied on one character on one server unlocking higher up content for free is not a great thing to try.

But you can get a pretty large number of TP just by getting various favor on all servers.  Is this worth your time?  For me, no I will just pay $15.  But it is by no means an ungoldy amount of time.  If you knew what you were doing you could probably do it in a week or so by leveling someone to about level 6 on each server.

This is the main difference between DDO and LOTRO btw.  LOTRO lacks this favor/server thing and is therefore not nearly as advantageous for people who want to pay absolutely nothing.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by gestalt11

This is the main difference between DDO and LOTRO btw.  LOTRO lacks this favor/server thing and is therefore not nearly as advantageous for people who want to pay absolutely nothing.

i would disagree. instead of having to hop servers you can gain TP by grinding out virtues and such on each of your four characters on one server. with the shared bank account this makes it even more attractive.

there are actually whole tutorials on how to pay nothing for LotRO.

in fact, considering the recent fiasco over Artificers and full paying members having to wait longer for the class or pay for it like f2p'rs at this point id say that LotROs model is quite a bit better.

why is that? i have no idea. but i almost went back to DDO till i heard that this issue with the Artificer was simply the next in a line of problems p2p'rs have been having with DDO.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by chelan

i would disagree. instead of having to hop servers you can gain TP by grinding out virtues and such on each of your four characters on one server. with the shared bank account this makes it even more attractive.

in fact, considering the recent fiasco over Artificers and full paying members having to wait longer for the class or pay for it like f2p'rs at this point id say that LotROs model is quite a bit better.

why is that? i have no idea. but i almost went back to DDO till i heard that this issue with the Artificer was simply the next in a line of problems p2p'rs have been having with DDO.

Yeah, they're kinda pulling a fast one on VIP's. Which is really making me wonder about their practices.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I don´t know why they did the Arti thing like that either.   It just looks bad and was a PR mess.   But in reality, they gave double  TP for 3 months this summer, which is more than the Arti costs.  They should have announced both things together and made it sound like they were giving the Arti to VIPs for free, or allowing them to spend the TP on other things...

LOADING RUNEARM SUMMER SPECIAL!!

For the next three months, we will be distributing 500 extra TP each month that you can save to unlock the new Arti class when it is released in September..  Or, if you are not interested in having an Arti, feel free to use that TP on whatever else you like.

but what ended up happening is nobody really mentions the freebie 1500 TP and all the VIPs are upset they have to wait until the next update to roll and arti.   just failed PR

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Azrile

I don´t know why they did the Arti thing like that either.   It just looks bad and was a PR mess.   But in reality, they gave double  TP for 3 months this summer, which is more than the Arti costs.  They should have announced both things together and made it sound like they were giving the Arti to VIPs for free, or allowing them to spend the TP on other things...

LOADING RUNEARM SUMMER SPECIAL!!

For the next three months, we will be distributing 500 extra TP each month that you can save to unlock the new Arti class when it is released in September..  Or, if you are not interested in having an Arti, feel free to use that TP on whatever else you like.

but what ended up happening is nobody really mentions the freebie 1500 TP and all the VIPs are upset they have to wait until the next update to roll and arti.   just failed PR

That is because the freebie costs them nothing in the long run. Artis should have been free to VIPs. There is nearly nothing a VIP gets that anyone can not buy with TP in the store. Almost every VIP benefit has some version available for TP. Those free TP are not really free at all. VIPs pay monthly to get that as part of the package, but the truth is you can do much better by not being VIP.

• Originally posted by Neiko

Originally posted by chelan

Yeah, they're kinda pulling a fast one on VIP's. Which is really making me wonder about their practices.

I have played enough of both games to say there is absolutely no way virtue grinding is nearly as advanageous as favor runs.

Plus virtue grinds are completely mind numbing kill 200 creatures types. 

I am not saying either game is fair, not saying they are unfair.  I don't really care.  But virtue grinds are boring and slow and considerably less reward considering what you need to buy in LOTRO.

I have a number of LOTRO character two of which are 60+ and 4 of which are above level 20.  Grinding out enough points to buy enough stuff on those 6 guys would be horribly mind numbing.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Title is a bit over exaderated, even the OP states you can go past lvl 10 :P

My highest character was lv16 without ever buying anything, but I lost interest there and also couldn't decide which content packs to buy with the Turbine Points. I actually had lots of TP from playing multiple characters on different servers, and that's really the key to earning TP.

I'm quite postitive i'd be able to purchase enough content packs to reach lv20, there are even guides out there depicting which packs should or shouldn't be bought too (some offer better XP/rewards/etc).

So with a little "work" playing different characters and a bit of research it is possible to play it for nothing, most definetly past lvl 10 lol.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

yeah, the OP is completely off base.   There are very distinct classes in DDO... the secret is to just have one of each class on different servers.  Once you get to about lvl 8 (which requires not repeating very many quests at all) you will have 500 favor on every server... that is a HUGE amount of free TP. 

I have 1 level 9 character, and lvl 5 characters on every server and i have already bought Catacombs,  Sharn Syndicate, Seal of STK, Tanglefoot and VoT (high level one).  Once I get all of them to 500 favor (lvl 8ish) I will be able to buy Gianthold and maybe another smaller pack.   That is plenty of content to get to lvl 20... and probably by the time I get to 1000 favor on each server (no idea what level that happens at), I will be able to buy another 2 or 3 packs for free for the 18-20 range.

The devs almost ask you to do this by not giving you a shared bank for free, and by not allowing you to mail BOA gear.  There really is very little practical reason to put two characters on the same server.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Your thread title is misleading because DDO is still F2P beyond level 10. The amount of F2P quests after level 10 is completely a separate matter. A character can still leel beyond 10 by redoing old dungeons or other methods.

• GoorlotGoorlot Newbie CommonPosts: 34
    There is the ability to get up to the higher levels (19-20) as a f2p, just don't expect to be TRing or anything. You just have to conserve your xp and run quests when appropriate (in other words, only run quests when you're one level above), have Ruins of Gianthold (from all the TP you got levelling up this character), and run everything 3 times (since SSG decided that people have to pay for difficulty level).