Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESPN, Walmart Back Away From Violent Games After Mass Shootings - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageESPN, Walmart Back Away From Violent Games After Mass Shootings - MMORPG.com

As reported by Kotaku, it looks like Walmart is removing "any signing or displays that contain violent images or aggressive behavior," per internal memos in the wake of last week's mass shootings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2019
    The interesting thing about these Walmarts in the locations that were threatened is that they sell firearms.....but I'm sure video games is the problem. That aside, this whole thing will do the same song and dance as it has been doing for the past 20 years unfortunately. There will be an uproar, followed by legislation being 'drafted' with many disappearing into the abyss as the masses remember that they are too poor to ask politicians to ask for someone else while their healthcare and wages are getting cut to go to the top 1% that employs other countries for cheaper labor and/or less restrictive labor laws.
    UnbinotanekKumaponElvocmcrippins[Deleted User]wingoodXingbairongValentinaRellzand 7 others.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    They are more afraid of the NRA than the video games industry. 
    bartoni33[Deleted User]TokkenwingoodAlbatroesrojoArcueidRellzSinsaigervaise1infomatzand 5 others.

• tanektanek Member UncommonPosts: 63

Albatroes said:

The interesting thing about these Walmarts in the locations that were threatened is that they sell firearms.....but I'm sure video games is the problem.

Exactly. Remove the virtual guns as the problem, but leave the real ones?

And, as I have seen pointed out elsewhere, what are they going to do when there is another mass shooting? And another? And another? Just never sell games again?
    [Deleted User]wingoodElendengelSinsaigervaise1infomatzgastovski1Deadrites87Scotty787
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I like how so many people ignore the scientific evidence that shows violent video games have nothing to do with these unfortunate occurances.
    [Deleted User]Tokkenwingood3domSignexElendengelSinsaiTuor7gervaise1EvilGamingand 5 others.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I think they should ban all Battle Royale games from everywhere. ;)
    ArskaaaXarko3domgastovski1Scotty787
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Physical video game sales have been losing ground to digital sales quite rapidly. While Walmart's decision may be a reaction to shootings, they're also in a situation where they're losing competition and probably looking to give video game's space to other products

US computer and video game sales by delivery format:

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/
    UnbinoPhrywingood3domRemulaxTuor7ysn888

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited August 2019
    Ultimately, they know full well what they are doing.

If they deflect the violence debate onto video games, gamers will just peacefully buy their games elsewhere. Most of us already do. 

If they place the blame where it belongs (on gun sales), they risk some angry redneck proving their point by attacking a Walmart with a gun in "protest." Not exactly a situation they can win.

I won't be shopping at Walmart at all. Not for video games. Not for groceries if I can help it. I still have local grocery stores that could use the business and treat their customers and employees with a little more respect. Walmart legitimizing the Trump administration's deflection of gun violence onto video games was just the last straw for me.
    TokkenwingoodJeffSpicoliXingbairong3domgunklackerklash2defElendengelRueTheWhirlSinsaiand 5 others.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    I would say 'terrorist win' but then again Walmart still sells actual guns so.....
    Tokken3domSinsai
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited August 2019
    Feel bad for saying this but I think Wal-Mart is using what happened to break out of a few non-profitable contracts. I don't know about Wal-Mart but I know game sales at Target have not been too great lately so there's that. Makes no sense to stop selling video games and to continue selling guns unless one is profitable and the other isn't. Espn probably also ducking out for the same reason. Will they also stop selling the toys related to those video games I wonder since those don't sell well either.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Video games are everywhere.

If they were the cause why aren't these mass shootings everywhere also then?

They are not the cause. Just an easy target for an excuse.

Anyway, who cares about Walmart? Who buys physical copies of games now still?
    Viper482TokkenwingoodSignexTuor7gervaise1gastovski1
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Margrave said:

I buy physical copies of games, just not typically in stores. Amazon Prime (and formerly Best Buy Gamers Club) offer discounts on new physical games and mail them on release day. 
    Sinsai
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Margrave said:

These are decisions made by old geezers who have never played a video game in their lives.
    infomatz
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    kitarad said:
    They are more afraid of the NRA than the video games industry. 
    well... gamers arent usualy armed ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    edited August 2019
    The reason they are scare of the NRA is because the people the NRA sends emails, flyers... etc to vote. More of them vote at most elections then most of the more liberal leaning members of the voting public. If we want to more reasonable gun control laws then you have to get out and vote and do it not only during the presidential elections.
    Post edited by Jamar870 on
    JeffSpicoligervaise1
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    South Koreans are so serious about their gaming they die doing it....where are their mass shootings? It's not video games. I don't know what it is, but it's not that.
    gervaise1infomatzFacelessSavior
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    tanek said:

Albatroes said:

The interesting thing about these Walmarts in the locations that were threatened is that they sell firearms.....but I'm sure video games is the problem.

Exactly. Remove the virtual guns as the problem, but leave the real ones?

And, as I have seen pointed out elsewhere, what are they going to do when there is another mass shooting? And another? And another? Just never sell games again?
    I have not been allowed to own a gun since i was 21 , but they are still very easy to get ...( easier than Wal Mart)

Guns/Games and the ability to buy either are not the problem , and is not new ...
    ghettocelebFacelessSavior
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited August 2019
    The NRA has 8 million dollars "on record" in campaign donations, You know how much the gaming industry contributed ? Zero babe.... A big donut. Its cute though watching the MMORPG crowd bicker about race politics and all the other nonsense that MSM has people worked up over. I'm no Trumptard but he is right when he says drain the swamp.

I had 4 blood pressure medications recalled in the past 2 years because of cancer causing agents 4 TIMES !!! Anyone wanna know the astronomical dollar amount Big Pharma contributes to both Republicans and democrats ? Democrats being the worst offenders FYI.

Anyway, blaming video games is a deflection tactic to avoid addressing the real issue which is not only better gun control but also more accountability on the part of News and media to look at themselves and say how much chaos are they causing or encouraging with the constant negativity and fear mongering

AeanderPhryBalianWolfieRueTheWhirlTuor7unfilteredJWinfomatzFacelessSavior
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    edited August 2019
    I'm guessing this will have about zero impact on future mass shootings. Even if they outright ban video games in the US it will have zero impact on shootings.
    TokkenAeanderPhrywingoodklash2defSinsaiTuor7gervaise1infomatz
  • RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66

Margrave said:

These are decisions made by old geezers who have never played a video game in their lives.

These are decisions made by conservatives because they will lose their solid base of second amendment voters. Any strawman they can use to not upset the people who vote for them. The conservatives are made up of three solid voter bases, fiscal conservatives motivated by having as much money in their pocket as possible, religious voters who have their societal grievances (abortion, gay rights, etc), and the 2nd amendment crowd. If they lost any of these as a solid voting block their influence would be greatly diminished.
    SinsaiPhaedruslivesFacelessSavior
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    edited August 2019
    The only thing accomplished by taking games away from consumers is the removal of a stress relieving outlet which will inevitably lead to more real life violence.  How many of us come home from a stressful day at work and just unwind with shenanigans in GTA5 or load up the latest call of duty or w/e it may be? Our government needs to wake the heck up and do what New Zealand is doing after the shooting they had GUN LAWS plain and simple.  If they want to regulate games get rid of the scummy microtransaction practices that are more akin to gambling that is all have a nice day...
    BruceYee
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    "Sorry we don't sell x video game anymore, but here, have a 12 gauge shotgun instead!"
    TokkenAeanderwingoodSinsaigervaise1infomatz
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

foxgirl said:

"Sorry we don't sell x video game anymore, but here, have a 12 gauge shotgun instead!"

Exactly. The amount of hypocrisy here is beyond insane.

Its a shop where you can go in and buy over the counter combat grade ammunition, no questions asked.

But they ban violent video games !

---

I would insert joke here. But sad thing is that reality here is funnier and more bizarre than a joke
    TokkenhfzttSinsaiinfomatz

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited August 2019
    The NRA has 8 million dollars "on record" in campaign donations, You know how much the gaming industry contributed ? Zero babe.... A big donut. Its cute though watching the MMORPG crowd bicker about race politics and all the other nonsense that MSM has people worked up over. I'm no Trumptard but he is right when he says drain the swamp.

I had 4 blood pressure medications recalled in the past 2 years because of cancer causing agents 4 TIMES !!! Anyone wanna know the astronomical dollar amount Big Pharma contributes to both Republicans and democrats ? Democrats being the worst offenders FYI.

This thread isn't about race politics.  This thread is about Walmart etc scapegoating videogames, which is what they and Donald Trump are doing regardless of what weird offtopic thing about "Big Pharma" and your blood pressure you are trying to inject into the thread.
    Aeandervandal5627supx2SinsaiDeadrites87FacelessSavior
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Are you sure it's not because you have a storage full of thousands of copies of F76 and Anthem you don't know what to do with, Walmart?
    PhryAeanderwingoodTacticalZombeh
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited August 2019

This thread isn't about race politics.  This thread is about Walmart etc scapegoating videogames, which is what they and Donald Trump are doing regardless of what weird offtopic thing about "Big Pharma" and your blood pressure you are trying to inject into the thread.
    Its about political pressure from conservative politicians to scapegoat video games instead of guns because they are in the pockets of the NRA, Walmart is just following lead.

BIG Pharma is relevant because i was trying to show the correlation of how medications and the publics safety goes ignored because ONCE AGAIN politicians are in the pocket of campaign donors. The Republicans are in bed with the NRA the same way Dems are in bed with Big Pharma. Its all relevant.

If you are too simple to figure out whats going on or see the big picture of who is truly responsible for pulling these games and the reason  this is being used a scapegoat then i would suggest you educate yourself on politics and just who FUNDS CAMPAIGNS.

• Aloha Mr Hand !