Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walmart no longer selling video games (Discussion)

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,911
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Jesus Christ, WTF is wrong with you people? That first shooting happened in a fucking Walmart and as the memo clearly indicates for anyone with a grade 1 reading comprehension, they are trying to show some sensitivity and respect by cutting out any game or movie or even sporting goods hunting video display depicting violence or shooting.

I swear to god this place is becoming one of the dumbest fucking places on the whole internet.
    Agreed. The Walmart CEO should have posed "smiling thumbs-up" with an orphan. Cheetoheads eat that stuff right up.

If you think the hodor outrage is bad over "vidya games", just imagine the orange outrage if Walmart actually stopped selling guns.
    The funniest (saddest?) part of this whole thread to me is that there are still people on page 3 that think Walmart is no longer selling video games.

A horrible incident happens at a Walmart. They react in typical corporate fashion with some temporary changes to movie, video game and hunting displays. Doesn't address any problems in a meaningful fashion but does a decent thing... this is Walmart after all. Then the internet goes crazy about Walmart blaming violence on video games, how Walmart sucks how sale of guns is the real problem... while totally ignoring the larger issues (gun legislation, NRA lobbying, politicians intentionally dividing people and setting them against each other, lack of an adequate social and mental health safety net 'cause, taxes you know, etc.)

All of this just a few hours after the users of this site got comments on an article about diversity in GW2 shut down in record time.

Yeah, every now and then the stupidity here gets to me.
    gunklackerKickaxeTorvalklash2defAlBQuirkykenguru23
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,832
    Sandmanjw said:
    lahnmir said:
    Sandmanjw said:
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    Jesus Christ, WTF is wrong with you people? That first shooting happened in a fucking Walmart and as the memo clearly indicates for anyone with a grade 1 reading comprehension, they are trying to show some sensitivity and respect by cutting out any game or movie or even sporting goods hunting video display depicting violence or shooting.

I swear to god this place is becoming one of the dumbest fucking places on the whole internet.
    Except that the response makes no frigging sense if you keep selling the stuff actually making the murders possible (its the guns you know), it makes their motives seem dishonest and nothing to do with sensitivity or respect, just a knee jerk reaction.

Weird and angry comment btw, inappropriate.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Ignorant people...guns do not make crazy people do crazy stuff. Guns do not roam the world murdering.

That is people. Same ones that use planes,bombs,trucks...and any and every other thing that they have to do crazy stuff.

All this talk about taking away peoples access to guns does absolutely nothing and never will.

Just more ignorant people thinking that taking my gun will stop any crazy or power mad people from doing crazy things or killing with or without a gun.

All so amazing how ignorant people are. There are mass shootings in many countries that it is almost impossible to own a gun in. Has that stopped any of them? Here is a hint...NO.

Do any of you saying to stop selling LEGAL guns have any clue what it would take to really make that happen? The answer is obviously not. You are just repeating the same old dead talking points you hear. 

If anyone actually thinks you could ever get 2/3 rds of america to ratify a change to the Constitution  to make something like that happen...more nuts around than i thought there were.

Never gonna happen and no other way to stop the selling of guns. I am sure that Walmart and other gun sellers can live quite comfortably with having 2/3 rds of America as customers that are ok with them selling LEGAL  guns to people.

People need to stop being ignorant and spouting nonsense. All this crap over a company trying to be a little sensitive and see what they get? Even more fruit cakes come out making demands that they take the blame for crazy and or otherwise disturbed people. 

I am so sure that if this had been a semi truck driven through the store that we would also have these people demanding that they stop making semi's right...right???

There is a difference. Guns are made with one purpose only and that is to hurt or to kill, the rest of the items you mentioned aren’t. If every man and his dog could easily buy and walk around with a flamethrower, would there be more fire related incidents? Of course there would.

The  USA and its obsession with the right to bear arms isn’t some worldwide accepted, normal thing. Many countries shake their heads in confusion and disbelief (as do many Americans). Taking away guns won’t stop murder sprees from happening, it will drastically lower the number though. What you need a gun for anyways, to stop the other guy with a gun? You don’t need to protect yourself with that if the other party also doesn’t have guns now do you?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    What do we need guns for? To protect us from idiots that think getting rid of our guns will fix things. 

We are here talking about crazy people killing everyone that they can safely and easily do. And some think making it even easier to do this, everywhere, even in our homes is the "right thing to do".

But that is not even the real and most important reason the right to bear arms in in the constitution...which again everyone ignores.

The reason it is in the Constitution, and will never be removed, is simple...you can never ever trust the government, or people, with unlimited power. 

Give a government or group the ability to have all the weapons, and all the power, and you are guaranteed to end up having them use them on you.

I wonder how the rest of the civilised world manages to defend itself from crazies with guns. Ohh wait, 99% of those crazies don’t have guns since they are forbidden.

Having something in the constitution doesn’t automatically make it a good idea, it just makes it very, very hard to get rid of. And I am not saying it would be easy at all to get rid of guns or ban them. Living in a gun free society (gun free for civilians that is) is very simple though and it doesn’t involve more crime or problems at all. There are no ‘special USA problems’ that require its citizens to carry around guns, or are there? The rest of western civilization isn’t doing any worse.

As for the last part of your post, that is just plain paranoia speaking and says more about you then actual governments.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    zeroscloudkenguru23
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,063
    lahnmir said:
    Sandmanjw said:
    lahnmir said:
    Sandmanjw said:
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:

Except that the response makes no frigging sense if you keep selling the stuff actually making the murders possible (its the guns you know), it makes their motives seem dishonest and nothing to do with sensitivity or respect, just a knee jerk reaction.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Ignorant people...guns do not make crazy people do crazy stuff. Guns do not roam the world murdering.

That is people. Same ones that use planes,bombs,trucks...and any and every other thing that they have to do crazy stuff.

All this talk about taking away peoples access to guns does absolutely nothing and never will.

Just more ignorant people thinking that taking my gun will stop any crazy or power mad people from doing crazy things or killing with or without a gun.

All so amazing how ignorant people are. There are mass shootings in many countries that it is almost impossible to own a gun in. Has that stopped any of them? Here is a hint...NO.

Do any of you saying to stop selling LEGAL guns have any clue what it would take to really make that happen? The answer is obviously not. You are just repeating the same old dead talking points you hear. 

If anyone actually thinks you could ever get 2/3 rds of america to ratify a change to the Constitution  to make something like that happen...more nuts around than i thought there were.

Never gonna happen and no other way to stop the selling of guns. I am sure that Walmart and other gun sellers can live quite comfortably with having 2/3 rds of America as customers that are ok with them selling LEGAL  guns to people.

People need to stop being ignorant and spouting nonsense. All this crap over a company trying to be a little sensitive and see what they get? Even more fruit cakes come out making demands that they take the blame for crazy and or otherwise disturbed people. 

I am so sure that if this had been a semi truck driven through the store that we would also have these people demanding that they stop making semi's right...right???

There is a difference. Guns are made with one purpose only and that is to hurt or to kill, the rest of the items you mentioned aren’t. If every man and his dog could easily buy and walk around with a flamethrower, would there be more fire related incidents? Of course there would.

The  USA and its obsession with the right to bear arms isn’t some worldwide accepted, normal thing. Many countries shake their heads in confusion and disbelief (as do many Americans). Taking away guns won’t stop murder sprees from happening, it will drastically lower the number though. What you need a gun for anyways, to stop the other guy with a gun? You don’t need to protect yourself with that if the other party also doesn’t have guns now do you?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    What do we need guns for? To protect us from idiots that think getting rid of our guns will fix things. 

We are here talking about crazy people killing everyone that they can safely and easily do. And some think making it even easier to do this, everywhere, even in our homes is the "right thing to do".

But that is not even the real and most important reason the right to bear arms in in the constitution...which again everyone ignores.

The reason it is in the Constitution, and will never be removed, is simple...you can never ever trust the government, or people, with unlimited power. 

Give a government or group the ability to have all the weapons, and all the power, and you are guaranteed to end up having them use them on you.

I wonder how the rest of the civilised world manages to defend itself from crazies with guns. Ohh wait, 99% of those crazies don’t have guns since they are forbidden.

Having something in the constitution doesn’t automatically make it a good idea, it just makes it very, very hard to get rid of. And I am not saying it would be easy at all to get rid of guns or ban them. Living in a gun free society (gun free for civilians that is) is very simple though and it doesn’t involve more crime or problems at all. There are no ‘special USA problems’ that require its citizens to carry around guns, or are there? The rest of western civilization isn’t doing any worse.

As for the last part of your post, that is just plain paranoia speaking and says more about you then actual governments.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    There is a reason that the right to bear arms is in the US Constitution.  It is the right to protect yourself and your property. I do not own a gun, nor have I ever, but I personally believe that this is the one “right” in the Constitution which protects all of the others. That said, there is a built in mechanism to change the Constitution.  If enough citizens want to change the 2nd amendment (or any other parts) the steps to do so are clearly laid out.  
    zeroscloudAlBQuirky

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,975
    I am in a Walmart right now and can confirm not only are they still selling "violent" video games there was a Rage 2 poster prominently attached to the display case.

Perhaps this directive is only a Texas thing?

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,832
    lahnmir said:
    Sandmanjw said:
    lahnmir said:
    Sandmanjw said:
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    There is a reason that the right to bear arms is in the US Constitution.  It is the right to protect yourself and your property. I do not own a gun, nor have I ever, but I personally believe that this is the one “right” in the Constitution which protects all of the others. That said, there is a built in mechanism to change the Constitution.  If enough citizens want to change the 2nd amendment (or any other parts) the steps to do so are clearly laid out.  
    Thanks for the explanation, I did not know that. I understand the desire and need to protect, this is roughly the same in other countries I assume, we all have that right. But when guns are allowed, guns will protect from other guns, when tanks are allowed, tanks will protect from other tanks, when warheads are allowed, warheads will...... you get the point. If you take the weapon away from both sides its still the same balance, just on a smaller scale. The need for guns wouldn't be there if the other side didn't have them either. Other western civilised countries are doing just fine without guns, thats not witchcraft. Removing them from US society and making them illegal is another matter though and I can also understand people having an issue with a right being taken away.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kylerangunklacker
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,612
    Wait so they wont stop selling guns and ammo but they are going to stop selling video games?
    Theocritus
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,197
    cheyane said:
    @Ginaz click the wtf again and remove it.
    Thank you.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Vutar said:
    Aeander said:
    I was already recently shifting my shopping away from my loyal walmart for locking so many of its regular products behind anti-theft glass (inconveniencing EVERYONE just to cut down on theft).

This just gives me a legitimate political/personal reason to boycott the company outright. 

I'm guessing your liberal boycott will work just as well as the Chick-Fil-A boycott did years back...
    I love Chick-Fil-A but I don't shop at Wal-Mart

Label me daddy!
    mklinicAeander
    lahnmir said:

Thanks for the explanation, I did not know that. I understand the desire and need to protect, this is roughly the same in other countries I assume, we all have that right. But when guns are allowed, guns will protect from other guns, when tanks are allowed, tanks will protect from other tanks, when warheads are allowed, warheads will...... you get the point. If you take the weapon away from both sides its still the same balance, just on a smaller scale. The need for guns wouldn't be there if the other side didn't have them either. Other western civilised countries are doing just fine without guns, thats not witchcraft. Removing them from US society and making them illegal is another matter though and I can also understand people having an issue with a right being taken away.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    There are 393 million guns privately owned in the US.  Passing a law will not make those disappear, and the bad guys tend not to follow the laws anyhow.  That's why they are the bad guys.  

Also,  a few years back one would have said that a place like Venezuela was a civilized western country.  Few would want to live there now and there is not much the population can do about it because the guys with the guns are now in charge. I would also argue, that at least a partial reason that some of those western civilized nations are not currently speaking Russian or another language is either because they have nuclear weapons (deterrent) or are a part of NATO (deterrent). The whole concept of MAD (mutually assured destruction) has been the basis and reason why there has been no 3rd World War.  So history has shown that force as a deterrence can actually work.  It's not witchcraft.  It can also end in unimaginable suffering and loss of life, but that is the world we currently live in.  

There is a perspective that says, if all guns were removed from our society... things MIGHT get better.  But there is also a chance that the bad guys would keep their guns (or a bad/military government forms) and there would be no way to defend one's property and life (or more importantly, their families).  What happens if there is a massive blackout? An EMP is setoff? Riots start... looters raging...  Far fetched? Maybe, but certainly more likely in my mind than the bad guys giving up their guns because a law was passed.

So again, I get that there are other perspectives, and that is the beauty of the US Constitution.  The Framers understood that needs would change over time.   They were also smart enough not to hinge it on a simple majority, because that would result in constant change back and forth and ultimately render things meaningless.  I believe the proposal must be supported by 2/3s of the House AND Senate and then be approved by 3/4 of the States (could be wrong, but I think that's close).   I do not get mad when people argue to restrict the second amendment because that discussion is exactly what is supposed to happen.   What is scary is that we tend to villainize the other side in these debates. Everyone in the country apparently either wants to take away all gun rights or is a looney fringe/nazi who loves people dying.  We have to learn to talk, be tolerant of other views, and follow the laws.  And when we disagree with the laws, try to change them, and accept that when that does not happen (or does happen.. either way) the other people are not monstrous nazis.

I think there are a lot of reasons for today's violence.  I absolutely think that there are situations/individuals that have been spurred to violence at least in part due to being desensitized to it because of a video game.  I have been around them since I was a child, I guess I do not understand quite the extent that they may have changed my view of the world/life.  Still, I would not advocate for them to be banned.  I think that is my right and responsibility as a parent to judge whether they should play shooter type games.  Maybe that makes me hypocritical due to my stance on gambling in games.. dunno.  I acknowledge the possibility, but thats how I feel.  And if Walmart wants to stop selling ANYTHING... heck that's their right.  Any time a store wants to lose revenue/sales to a competitor I think that is their business.  I may think its silly.  I may think its pointless, but nobody should be forced to sell something they do not want to sell (and I apply this to much more than video games).  They also should not be FORCED not to sell something that is legal. If you want to make something illegal then go have a law changed.  Do not punish a store or person for doing something that is legal. Do not villainize them.  That is how we end up down this horrible path where the "other" side is evil.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness rambling.

AlBQuirky

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    Arterius said:
    Ungood said:
    Since it happened in a Walmart that sells guns, it's a pity no one thought to run to the sporting good section, grab a gun and shoot back.
    My Uncle has Concealed weapons permit in CA. He carries it with him most places. He lives in Gilroy and was at the Garlic Festival when the attack happened. He didn't think of pulling out his gun. Instead he pulled his daughter Jazz with him to the ground and they played dead. Up until that point he always said that he would use it on an attacker if it, sadly, came to that. 

The simple fact of the matter is you don't know what you would do in that situation until that moment comes.
    This is a solid point, but does this just cement that it is not the gun itself, having access to a gun, or even having the gun on you, that is the problem, but the mentality of someone willing to use that weapon other people.

And by this, even if we took away the gun, we would not change the mentality of people that want to kill and hurt other people.

Just a thought to ponder among all this.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It's a lot more complex than you think. 

But to understand even a small part, which will not only give you a small picture of a larger purpose, The Bill of Rights and The U.S Constitution was actually written by Anti-Establishment individuals, they were against Kings, Rulers, Despots, or anyone controlling them, in essence against anything that would oppress the freedom of the people by anyone, including their own government.

This is why they founded one of the best education systems for it's time, as they believed that an informed and armed public was the best defence against a despot or oppression.

Which if you notice, the 1st Rule is "Freedom of Speech" and part of this, was so that people could in fact rally against their leaders, they could call for an act to arms, a revolt, and even a civil war,  without fear of commiting a crime or being tried for treason... Notice that has long since been squelched and gotten rid of.

As such, The last real bulwark of the Bill or Rights, is the 2nd Amendment, and the right of the people to be armed, this was put in so that the Government would in fact fear it's people and thus not overstep its bounds.

The nature of the 2nd, was in fact so that Americans could defend themselves from any threat, foreign or domestic. That means, anything from a thief trying to break into their house, to a corrupt public official trying to take their land away. 

Which brings us to your other question, of "How do these other countries do it" well most of those other countries have the Cultural and Racial Diversity of a bar of Ivory soap.

America is a huge culturally diverse country, in fact, if you read travel guides, this is a thing here in America at how we have people are all races just living together, and a lot of variations. People coming from UK, it's like nothing they have ever seen.  On top of that, America is a Huge Ass Nation, so when you mix a bunch of diverse cultures, races, together, and to mix a crap ton of these people together.. you get problems. Keep in mind that America is the 3rd most populated nation in the world, followed only by China and India. 

So, no dis here, but, if you were from Europe, keep in mind, your entire country would no doubt smaller than a Single US State, and most likely has less a population as well. 

So.. make no mistake.. you have a nation built on freedom, with a lot of people in it.. yer bound to get a few cracked eggs. The thing was, the 1st and 2nd, was supposed to counter those few bad eggs, Darwin style.
    blamo2000
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,822
    edited August 10
    GameStop says thank you.
    Slapshot1188

Played: AA, AC1, AC2, Aion, AO, AoC, BDO, CO, CoX, DAoC, DCUO, EVE, EQ1, EQ2,
    ESO, Fallen Earth, FFXI, FFXIV, GW1, GW2, Istaria, L2, LoTRO, MxO, Neverwinter, Rift, RoE,
    Ryzom, Shadowbane, SWG, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, WAR, WoW, WURM...and a bunch of others not worth mentioning.

Joined - July 2004

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,124
    The "it is in my constitution" bit does not really fly tho...

That was put in back when there was not proper system of law enforcement nor military for the most part as a way to safeguard that there is always a standing militia should someone try to re-colonize the United states. It was also very handy for home protection in a time when "hailing a cop" could entail a ride of an hour with no guarantee of anything. 

Tell me how that is relevant in this day and age... A: The US has a standing army as well as a several organized semi active branches... B: It has a functioning police force... And should for some reason the British try to colonize you.. they would be nuked back to the roman era. 

Now.. I agree just banning the guns and thinking it will solve anything will do jack shit. But it has to start someplace... Even if it is a 20-30 year process to change public opinion. Now as others have pointed out investing in mental and physical healthcare would be the best start. *points to the tangerine in chief* But people does not seem to be interested in that path.. In fact they voted for a person who said he would do the exact opposite... 

So what the flying f do you suggest people should argue... If people can´t play nice and be constructive... They will have their toys taken away. 
    gunklacker

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

tawess said:
    The "it is in my constitution" bit does not really fly tho...

That was put in back when there was not proper system of law enforcement nor military for the most part as a way to safeguard that there is always a standing militia should someone try to re-colonize the United states. It was also very handy for home protection in a time when "hailing a cop" could entail a ride of an hour with no guarantee of anything. 

Tell me how that is relevant in this day and age... A: The US has a standing army as well as a several organized semi active branches... B: It has a functioning police force... And should for some reason the British try to colonize you.. they would be nuked back to the roman era. 

Now.. I agree just banning the guns and thinking it will solve anything will do jack shit. But it has to start someplace... Even if it is a 20-30 year process to change public opinion. Now as others have pointed out investing in mental and physical healthcare would be the best start. *points to the tangerine in chief* But people does not seem to be interested in that path.. In fact they voted for a person who said he would do the exact opposite... 

So what the flying f do you suggest people should argue... If people can´t play nice and be constructive... They will have their toys taken away. 
    No.  As stated before.  There is a mechanism to change the Constitution.  If you want to change it you follow that.  This is why we have laws.  

I would agrue that using using phrases like “tangerine in chief” is the kind of rhetoric that leads to the us vs them mentality and results in an inability to have a rational conversation.

I am Swedish... I could not rub two kronor together as far as changing your constitution... That is your mess to sort out. But the matter of the fact is that way to many people abuse the second as a figurative and literal get "out of jail" - card when it comes to the debate on guns. 

Now as i said.. it would be a 20-30 year process to start the change and a 80-120 year process to get all the idiot out of the system
    TorvalIselin

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

tawess said:
    I am Swedish... I could not rub two kronor together as far as changing your constitution... That is your mess to sort out. But the matter of the fact is that way to many people abuse the second as a figurative and literal get "out of jail" - card when it comes to the debate on guns. 

Now as i said.. it would be a 20-30 year process to start the change and a 80-120 year process to get all the idiot out of the system
    It is not abuse to point to the law and say... it’s the law.  If we want to change it we can do so.  Whether we do or not is really something of an internal discussion would you not agree?  Most Americans do not want a significant change to the 2nd amendment.  But we have a mechanism that allows us to make large changes, and small ones, if we desire.  Thank you for your 2 Kronors input.  We will take it under advisement.

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 295
    dumbest sheet I ever heard millions of people all over the world play a lot of violent games if u take every violent mass shooter in the last 20 years an average that out it's not even a spec in the cause to effect bucket!
    tawess said:

It is not abuse to point to the law and say... it’s the law.  If we want to change it we can do so.  Whether we do or not is really something of an internal discussion would you not agree?  Most Americans do not want a significant change to the 2nd amendment.  But we have a mechanism that allows us to make large changes, and small ones, if we desire.  Thank you for your 2 Kronors input.  We will take it under advisement.

Again... It is not about wanting... It is about needing, after all a drug user "can quit when X want" too.. right... Same logic, same rhetoric. 

Can you look me in the eyes (figuratively) and say the system works...? Or is it that the system has been broken for so many years that nobody dares touch the gaffers tape holding it together? 

Now i agree that the number of unregistered and illegal weapons are so high that a outright ban would do little apart from save some kids and their parents in suburbia from accidental discharges...

But if the solution is "i can quit when i want"... Well... There will be no quitting and the bodycount will rise until it starts to affect tourism... Then change will come =P

Torval

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

tawess said:
    tawess said:

Again... It is not about wanting... It is about needing, after all a drug user "can quit when X want" too.. right... Same logic, same rhetoric. 

Can you look me in the eyes (figuratively) and say the system works...? Or is it that the system has been broken for so many years that nobody dares touch the gaffers tape holding it together? 

Now i agree that the number of unregistered and illegal weapons are so high that a outright ban would do little apart from save some kids and their parents in suburbia from accidental discharges...

But if the solution is "i can quit when i want"... Well... There will be no quitting and the bodycount will rise until it starts to affect tourism... Then change will come =P

I think I posted above already but to be clear... I am happy with the 2nd amendment.  I do not own a gun and never have but I take solace in knowing that my fellow citizens do.   That said, I again will say that there is a mechanism for change and if my fellow citizens want to do so they can go through the process.  It’s why we have a process.  And again, if Walmart wants to stop selling anything they can do so.  They also should not be shamed into not selling something that is legal. That is not the right way to do this.  
    AlBQuirky

I guess that is a stand as valid as any. You seem to be willing to wait for what ever the future holds. 

Me... I´l be picking this fight any day of the week. But that is because from my perspective the second as a modern entity makes about as much sense as anti-vax and "pro life". 

Each to their own i guess. But then again, i guess you have the right of way as you have to live in the bloody mess. =) 

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

• UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Ungood said:

And by this, even if we took away the gun, we would not change the mentality of people that want to kill and hurt other people.

Just a thought to ponder among all this.
    Have you looked at the murder rates of major nations with strict gun laws? Just curious babe. 

Probably just coincidence!
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
     WTH is going on, must be armageddon, 3 post from Lahnmir i actually agreed with ;) whats next cats and dogs sleeping together ?
    lahnmir
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,570
    theoccult said:

Walmart memo:

A Walmart spokesperson's reply this week:

"We've taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and it does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment. We are focused on assisting our associates and their families, as well as supporting the community, as we continue a thoughtful and thorough review of our policies."

Since the first shooting happened at a Walmart store, and another guy was arrested at a Walmart in Missouri this week, wearing body armor, a loaded rifle and 100 rounds of ammo, can anyone blame them for wanting to remove violent images/signs from their stores for the time being?

Yes I can. If they want to make a statement they need to also halt the sale of guns in their stores temporarily at the very least. You know why Wal-Mart is doing this? Because they are one of Trumps supporters.
    Slapshot1188klash2defRhoklawAlBQuirky
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,570
    edited August 11
    Renoaku said:
    Okay so first of all "Walmart is being stupid if they are banning all video games."

Not all Video Game sales should be banned, though games that encourage "Virtual Simulation of violence, hate, mass shootings need to be limited to 18+, and not openly displayed on in store televisions and such for example Same goes for movie trailers in store.

Video Games, and Movies do contribute to shootings.

Games like Hatred, Carmageddon, Grand Theft Auto, Man Hunt, can contribute to violence, especially in young kids, or teens. "Hatred for example" compared to GTA is a game based on nothing but shooting innocent people in a virtual world, the game even comes with School Shooting mods, and other mods.

Edit: GTA 5 for example isn't such a bad game, though it does teach crime on the streets, so if the young teen lives in New York for example, or in the hood and plays the game at a young age without proper education, they may get involved with the wrong crowd partially because the game taught them stuff.

Movies such as "Rampage" "The Purge"  can contribute to violence as well...

It's kinda like the on-going problems with "Fort Nite" "PUBG" "SMITE" "Leage OF Legends, APEX Legends, Paladins".

All of these games have a serious issue that can involve the mental health of others similar to loot-box bans all these games have started to sell battle passes,  at first this was an okay thing, but Fort Nite especially with recent updates makes it hard to even complete the pass even after paying for it.

The problem is that young kids, and teens who are still going to school play this game and get addicted trying to complete pass that takes hours upon hours to complete just to unlock skins they could just sell in the shop instead. 

But instead all these games listed above sell battle pass and you have to grind to level up the pass, then do weekly challenges, and it's only gotten worse which requires more and more time to complete.

For a kid who loves skins, or someone who is an addict at collecting skins, it can lead to mental health issues, even perhaps just failing school classes, or such because the kid spends too long up at night gaming to get the skin because they make it too damn hard.

Politics aside, I'd totally vote against "Battle Passes" and "Lootbox, because from experience in games that do these I am sick of the addiction, and issues these type of things cause.

In my opinion violent games, and movies are part of the reason for mass shootings, though they are not the only cause which can include "Domestic Abuse" "Bullying" "Mental Health Disorders", or a many number of other factors combined with watching a violent movie such as "Rampage" for example.

But also it's important to note that "Social Media". and local news contributes to mass shootings by broadcasting this stuff on television all the time everytime one happens.

Sure it's free press, and people deserve the right to know, however a teenager sees this on television it can encourage copycats, so removal of 8ch from the internet just because someone posted a copy of a manifesto there isn't going to solve the issue because every shooting goes on live TV if it's big enough, and a manifesto can be posted anonymously anywhere.

But the biggest problem with the violence going on right now, is the lack of "Physical Security, and Cyber Security at many places but not limited to.

- Transportation Hubs
    - Cinemas (After Dark Knight Rises) Security is really bad there.
    - Schools
    - Hospitals
    - Events or stores with over 50+ people there

Every place should have proper security in place, and you will notice that every act of violence which hits social media, or when people try to blame it on strictly games itself, every incident has had improper security measures which could have helped prevent lives from being lost.

Firearms, and laws are a totally different debate, but as far as games, and movies this is what I think.

Video games do not contribute to violence at all. There has never been any proof of this at all. Most research has shown is that there is no correlation at all. This argument died in the 90s and the only reason it has returned is because we have people like Trump who don't know what a video game even is scapegoating for the NRA once again. It will die once again, as it should.

If violent video games caused gun violence then can you explain to me why every other country with video games does not have as much gun violence as the US?

Post image

Myrdynn
This discussion has been closed.