Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walmart no longer selling video games (Discussion)

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,905
    Jesus Christ, WTF is wrong with you people? That first shooting happened in a fucking Walmart and as the memo clearly indicates for anyone with a grade 1 reading comprehension, they are trying to show some sensitivity and respect by cutting out any game or movie or even sporting goods hunting video display depicting violence or shooting.

I swear to god this place is becoming one of the dumbest fucking places on the whole internet.
    AeanderSandmanjwNanfoodleTorvalMikehaKyleranBaalzharonAlBQuirkyScorchienAxxar
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,131
    Iselin said:
    Jesus Christ, WTF is wrong with you people? That first shooting happened in a fucking Walmart and as the memo clearly indicates for anyone with a grade 1 reading comprehension, they are trying to show some sensitivity and respect by cutting out any game or movie or even sporting goods hunting video display depicting violence or shooting.

I swear to god this place is becoming one of the dumbest fucking places on the whole internet.
    Then why are they still selling guns, you know, what you'll find at all mass shootings? If they wanted to show "sensitivity and respect" they would stop selling guns. Remember a few years back when cops in Ohio murdered a black man for holding a gun still in its packaging because they were "afraid for their lives"? They wouldn't have done that with a copy of Call of Duty.
    AeanderSandmanjwGinazgunklackerMikehaKyleranBaalzharonCelciusAxxar
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,054
    edited August 10
    They should stop selling hats and vests too because the shooter wore those and used them. And they should close all Walmarts because he used those stores.
    AeanderSandmanjwAxxar

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,018
    edited August 10
    Who buys games in stores today when you get th egames cheaper on cdkey sites..mann its 2019 not 1980
    i'll always choose stores because i collect single player games. However, Walmart has always been off my list. Now if you are talking about PC then, GoG all the way.
    AlBQuirky

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 587
    Yup, just another instance of miscommunication, either on purpose or on accident. Walmart has not made any changes to its selling policy or the items it has for sale, including guns and video games. What they did out of respect pertains to signage and displays only, not sales. They temporarily took down any display that showed violence, but they are quite happy to still sell violent video games, movies with violence, and yes, even guns. If only people would pay more attention and get facts correct, we would have much less hate in this world.
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,859
    When I posted this I swear the update was posted yet. All I read was...

Yesterday, reports came out that Walmart sent out internal communications to stores asking them to pull down ads, signage, and even demos for violent video games following the mass shooting at a Walmart Superstore in El Paso, Texas on August 3.

A day later, Twitter user Erik Tyler Louden tweeted out that their Walmart isn’t even selling games. The original memo which was posted online only mentioned signing and displays that reference violence.

IGN reached out to Walmart for confirmation, and received the following response from LeMia Jenkins, director of national media relations:

“We’ve taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and it does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment. We are focused on assisting our associates and their families, as well as supporting the community, as we continue a thoughtful and thorough review of our policies.”

To be fair I also had the link open for quite a while as I took my daughter to the doctor and made this thread after getting home. I didn't refresh the page.

I apologize for what is now a misunderstanding
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    Since it happened in a Walmart that sells guns, it's a pity no one thought to run to the sporting good section, grab a gun and shoot back.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 1,859
    Ungood said:
    Since it happened in a Walmart that sells guns, it's a pity no one thought to run to the sporting good section, grab a gun and shoot back.
    My Uncle has Concealed weapons permit in CA. He carries it with him most places. He lives in Gilroy and was at the Garlic Festival when the attack happened. He didn't think of pulling out his gun. Instead he pulled his daughter Jazz with him to the ground and they played dead. Up until that point he always said that he would use it on an attacker if it, sadly, came to that. 

The simple fact of the matter is you don't know what you would do in that situation until that moment comes.
    KyleranUngoodAlBQuirky
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 839
    I don't give Walmart any money to begin with, since they came into my area and ran out all my fav mom-and-pop shops, so even if the article was true and they did stop selling games, it wouldn't've impacted me one iota.

Them getting rid of violent images and stuff out of respect for the tragedy is a good move. Too bad there are still fight clubs and meth labs and any other negative thing you can imagine happening in their aisles and back rooms...

One step forward, 4 meandering slovenly drunken steps back.

Either way, RIP OH/TX, and pretty much every other state's victims of needless tragedies.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,197
    edited August 10
    Iselin said:

Did they pull the guns they sell out of the display cases?  Maybe Walmart can get Tipper Gore to come out of retirement so we can all go back to blaming various forms of entertainment for violence in our world rather than the people who commit the acts of violence.  Funny how the rest of the western world has access to the same violent video games yet the US somehow has more mass shootings and murders overall than all of the rest combined.  I wonder what the difference is?
    Axxar

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,197
    Gutlard said:
    I don't give Walmart any money to begin with, since they came into my area and ran out all my fav mom-and-pop shops, so even if the article was true and they did stop selling games, it wouldn't've impacted me one iota.

Them getting rid of violent images and stuff out of respect for the tragedy is a good move. Too bad there are still fight clubs and meth labs and any other negative thing you can imagine happening in their aisles and back rooms...

One step forward, 4 meandering slovenly drunken steps back.

Either way, RIP OH/TX, and pretty much every other state's victims of needless tragedies.

Gut Out!
    Sorry, didn't mean to give you a WTF.  Clicked on it by accident.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• zeroscloudzeroscloud Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Pandering, doesnt make a god damn difference video games do not make people violent.  I've lived through every age of gaming since the NES and have never felt the urge to hurt a single person based off it.  This is dumb as fuck
    gunklackerGinazAxxar
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,375
    @Ginaz click the wtf again and remove it.
    Ginaz
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 518
    Did they also remove signage, advertisement, and display of violent movies, firearms, ammunition, etc.?

This is an asinine knee-jerk reaction by an already ethically and morally suspect company.

Hypocrisy at it's worst.
    Axxar
  • BanjostarBanjostar Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The US is like a dystopian sci-fi movie.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,467
    edited August 10
    Arterius said:
    Ungood said:
    My Uncle has Concealed weapons permit in CA. He carries it with him most places. He lives in Gilroy and was at the Garlic Festival when the attack happened. He didn't think of pulling out his gun. Instead he pulled his daughter Jazz with him to the ground and they played dead. Up until that point he always said that he would use it on an attacker if it, sadly, came to that. 

The simple fact of the matter is you don't know what you would do in that situation until that moment comes.
    wait.. are you telling me more guns and good guys with guns isn't the solution?
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,467
    BobVa said:
    The title of this post is very miss-leading ( click-bait ).

However, Walmart is doing something decent here, by pulling off any videos/clips/ads shown on Tv's and inside/around their store, in respect to the victims of this fucked up massacre. 

I mean, how would you feel right now, if you step foot in a Walmart, and see a video game ad running on this big Monitor, about a player going mass killing in the said game?! Maybe we, gamers will see this as a not big of a deal, but .. i'm sure many will find this .. disturbing.

Anyway, this is just for a period and I agree with them on this one.

And no, they won't stop selling video games. OP, you might change the title of this .. post of yours!
    How would i feel walking to a walmart and seeing 30 AR15's after my relative just got shot with one in a mass shooting....

kinda works both ways, while it's a nice act on behalf of the company to remove anything depicting an act of violence, how about not having the murder weapon of choice on open display?
    Axxar
  • dosengandosengan Member UncommonPosts: 49
    like ... seriously if you see this as anything but a political move to move the attention away from guns (which they are one of the biggest sellers of) your an idiot.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,830
    edited August 10
    Iselin said:

Except that the response makes no frigging sense if you keep selling the stuff actually making the murders possible (its the guns you know), it makes their motives seem dishonest and nothing to do with sensitivity or respect, just a knee jerk reaction.

Weird and angry comment btw, inappropriate.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SandmanjwAeanderAxxar
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,067
    edited August 10
    Okay so first of all "Walmart is being stupid if they are banning all video games."

Not all Video Game sales should be banned, though games that encourage "Virtual Simulation of violence, hate, mass shootings need to be limited to 18+, and not openly displayed on in store televisions and such for example Same goes for movie trailers in store.

Video Games, and Movies do contribute to shootings.

Games like Hatred, Carmageddon, Grand Theft Auto, Man Hunt, can contribute to violence, especially in young kids, or teens. "Hatred for example" compared to GTA is a game based on nothing but shooting innocent people in a virtual world, the game even comes with School Shooting mods, and other mods.

Edit: GTA 5 for example isn't such a bad game, though it does teach crime on the streets, so if the young teen lives in New York for example, or in the hood and plays the game at a young age without proper education, they may get involved with the wrong crowd partially because the game taught them stuff.

Movies such as "Rampage" "The Purge"  can contribute to violence as well...

It's kinda like the on-going problems with "Fort Nite" "PUBG" "SMITE" "Leage OF Legends, APEX Legends, Paladins".

All of these games have a serious issue that can involve the mental health of others similar to loot-box bans all these games have started to sell battle passes,  at first this was an okay thing, but Fort Nite especially with recent updates makes it hard to even complete the pass even after paying for it.

The problem is that young kids, and teens who are still going to school play this game and get addicted trying to complete pass that takes hours upon hours to complete just to unlock skins they could just sell in the shop instead. 

But instead all these games listed above sell battle pass and you have to grind to level up the pass, then do weekly challenges, and it's only gotten worse which requires more and more time to complete.

For a kid who loves skins, or someone who is an addict at collecting skins, it can lead to mental health issues, even perhaps just failing school classes, or such because the kid spends too long up at night gaming to get the skin because they make it too damn hard.

Politics aside, I'd totally vote against "Battle Passes" and "Lootbox, because from experience in games that do these I am sick of the addiction, and issues these type of things cause.

In my opinion violent games, and movies are part of the reason for mass shootings, though they are not the only cause which can include "Domestic Abuse" "Bullying" "Mental Health Disorders", or a many number of other factors combined with watching a violent movie such as "Rampage" for example.

But also it's important to note that "Social Media". and local news contributes to mass shootings by broadcasting this stuff on television all the time everytime one happens.

Sure it's free press, and people deserve the right to know, however a teenager sees this on television it can encourage copycats, so removal of 8ch from the internet just because someone posted a copy of a manifesto there isn't going to solve the issue because every shooting goes on live TV if it's big enough, and a manifesto can be posted anonymously anywhere.

But the biggest problem with the violence going on right now, is the lack of "Physical Security, and Cyber Security at many places but not limited to.

- Transportation Hubs
    - Cinemas (After Dark Knight Rises) Security is really bad there.
    - Schools
    - Hospitals
    - Events or stores with over 50+ people there

Every place should have proper security in place, and you will notice that every act of violence which hits social media, or when people try to blame it on strictly games itself, every incident has had improper security measures which could have helped prevent lives from being lost.

Firearms, and laws are a totally different debate, but as far as games, and movies this is what I think.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,124
    edited August 10
    My take on this.. 

TD:DW... It is not that farfetched

Post edited by tawess on

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member UncommonPosts: 206
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:

Except that the response makes no frigging sense if you keep selling the stuff actually making the murders possible (its the guns you know), it makes their motives seem dishonest and nothing to do with sensitivity or respect, just a knee jerk reaction.

Weird and angry comment btw, inappropriate.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Ignorant people...guns do not make crazy people do crazy stuff. Guns do not roam the world murdering.

That is people. Same ones that use planes,bombs,trucks...and any and every other thing that they have to do crazy stuff.

All this talk about taking away peoples access to guns does absolutely nothing and never will.

Just more ignorant people thinking that taking my gun will stop any crazy or power mad people from doing crazy things or killing with or without a gun.

All so amazing how ignorant people are. There are mass shootings in many countries that it is almost impossible to own a gun in. Has that stopped any of them? Here is a hint...NO.

Do any of you saying to stop selling LEGAL guns have any clue what it would take to really make that happen? The answer is obviously not. You are just repeating the same old dead talking points you hear. 

If anyone actually thinks you could ever get 2/3 rds of america to ratify a change to the Constitution  to make something like that happen...more nuts around than i thought there were.

Never gonna happen and no other way to stop the selling of guns. I am sure that Walmart and other gun sellers can live quite comfortably with having 2/3 rds of America as customers that are ok with them selling LEGAL  guns to people.

People need to stop being ignorant and spouting nonsense. All this crap over a company trying to be a little sensitive and see what they get? Even more fruit cakes come out making demands that they take the blame for crazy and or otherwise disturbed people. 

I am so sure that if this had been a semi truck driven through the store that we would also have these people demanding that they stop making semi's right...right???

Axxar
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 6,896
    edited August 10
    I mean, obviously guns don't make crazy people murder. But also obviously guns allow people to to more easily kill people.
    Torvalkenguru23Axxar
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,067
    I mean, obviously guns don't make crazy people murder. But also obviously guns allow people to to more easily kill people.
    And before guns wasn't it once "Swords" "Bows & Arrows", even stones?
    AeanderAlBQuirkyAxxar
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 6,896
    Renoaku said:
    And before guns wasn't it once "Swords" "Bows & Arrows", even stones?
    Yup. And guns make it easier than all of those combined. Which is why firearms are so special.
    AeanderTorvalkenguru23Axxar
This discussion has been closed.