Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walmart no longer selling video games (Discussion)

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,227
    Never underestimate companies to react in the most idiotic ways. 
    PalebanerojoArcueiddragonlee66PhaserlightScotAeanderultimateduckAgent_JosephzeroscloudAxxar
  • DarkestOverlordDarkestOverlord Member UncommonPosts: 545
    edited August 9
    They took our jobs !
    They took our deerps !!
    Dooka derps !!

gunklacker

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,465
    That article sounds sketchy and or very out of sort.

SO rumors fly about Wallmart then when IGN tries to get clarification they beat around the bush,not surprised this is always how these ideas are handled.
    So then some Wallmart rep sees some possible backlash to this so makes a claim that no directive was given to wallmart stores.That in itself could also be sketchy or avoiding any type of spcific answer.

Example they may have sent out memos recommending such actions but not made a directive order.

The way PR is handled within the media is always a circus act,either some thought out speech to deliver or the "no comment"side.
    DarkestOverlord

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

You forgot to say  Derka derps !!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,727
    edited August 10
    I was already recently shifting my shopping away from my local walmart for locking so many of its regular products behind anti-theft glass (inconveniencing EVERYONE just to cut down on theft).

This just gives me a legitimate political/personal reason to boycott the company outright. 
    Post edited by Aeander on
    DarkestOverlordPalebane
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 513
    They got the story all wrong...

Walmart is removing video game signs and displays that depict violence in stores... they AREN'T halting sales.

This is why fake news is a thing... 
    PhaserlightHarikenKhorraxCelcius
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 269
    There is zero evidence that Video games affects RL violence.   There is 100% evidence that money negatively affects RL politics, corporate america and common sense.

Sad, true and disgusting. 
    gervaise1PalebanerojoArcueidAlBQuirkyBeezerbeezAgent_JosephRueTheWhirlHiromantAxxar
    btdt said:

Walmart is removing video game signs and displays that depict violence in stores... they AREN'T halting sales.

And I was aware of that when I posted.

I still won't be doing business with them. Legitimizing the Trump administration's deflection of violence towards video games by refusing to promote them is disgusting.
    rojoArcueidgunklacker
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,321
    btdt said:

No  just your post that is misleading. 

The IGN article linked does not say that Walmart has stopped the sale of video games - maybe you should read it. It says they "reached out to Walmart" about reports.

Hence your post about the story being wrong is "fake". So yes fake news is a thing and you are one of the sources!

Meanwhile CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC all reported that they are removing video game signs. They probably picked up on the story when Walmart had got their act together.

Amazingly a Walmart got worried when someone walked in with an assault rifle, bullet proof vest, 1,000 rounds etc. Why - when its all legal .... kinda begs the question really

Meanwhile - in the rest of the world - video game posters are still up. They are clearly blissfully unaware having identified that the real source of the problem long ago:mice with brain control powers - and they bribed them all to go to the US. (This is equally stupid and so may get used by some senator or other clinging for anything to distract from key issues.)
    Axxar
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    gervaise1 said:
    btdt said:

No the Title to the OP's post was misleading, which was what they were addressing, and why "Fake News" is more than just a link that most people won't bother to read anyway.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,197
    And yet they're still selling guns.
    rojoArcueidNildenRueTheWhirlAxxar

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,157
    Funny eh ;) /s

They’ll stop selling video games but they won’t stop selling guns
    AeanderrojoArcueidAxxar

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 49

Walmart memo:

A Walmart spokesperson's reply this week:

"We've taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and it does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment. We are focused on assisting our associates and their families, as well as supporting the community, as we continue a thoughtful and thorough review of our policies."

Since the first shooting happened at a Walmart store, and another guy was arrested at a Walmart in Missouri this week, wearing body armor, a loaded rifle and 100 rounds of ammo, can anyone blame them for wanting to remove violent images/signs from their stores for the time being?

Phaserlight
  • XatshXatsh Member UncommonPosts: 321
    If violent video games promote violence 85%+ of this forums user base should probably be on a watch list.

But honestly Walmart should be criticized for this because it is beyond stupid. Stop advertising games "You know things that are not real" and yet I bet they still have crap about their hunting rifles in the stores. Utterly stupid and ass backwards. This is what happens when morons are put incharge of making decisions.
    gunklacker
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    edited August 9
    The title of this post is very miss-leading ( click-bait ).

However, Walmart is doing something decent here, by pulling off any videos/clips/ads shown on Tv's and inside/around their store, in respect to the victims of this fucked up massacre. 

I mean, how would you feel right now, if you step foot in a Walmart, and see a video game ad running on this big Monitor, about a player going mass killing in the said game?! Maybe we, gamers will see this as a not big of a deal, but .. i'm sure many will find this .. disturbing.

Anyway, this is just for a period and I agree with them on this one.

And no, they won't stop selling video games. OP, you might change the title of this .. post of yours!
    Waan
    theoccult said:

Walmart memo:

A Walmart spokesperson's reply this week:

"We've taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and it does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment. We are focused on assisting our associates and their families, as well as supporting the community, as we continue a thoughtful and thorough review of our policies."

Since the first shooting happened at a Walmart store, and another guy was arrested at a Walmart in Missouri this week, wearing body armor, a loaded rifle and 100 rounds of ammo, can anyone blame them for wanting to remove violent images/signs from their stores for the time being?

The person in question was carrying guns and ammo, not a case full of violent video games. But which one is Walmart taking action against?

So yes, I can and will blame them.
    rojoArcueidgunklackerAxxar
  • TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,195
    more reason not to shop at Walmart......
    AeanderrojoArcueid
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,321
    Ungood said:
    gervaise1 said:
    btdt said:

No the Title to the OP's post was misleading, which was what they were addressing, and why "Fake News" is more than just a link that most people won't bother to read anyway.

Read what btdt said. It wasn't addressing the headline it was - quote "they got the story wrong". And my response was that IGN did not get the story wrong. 

Professional journalists try to be accurate. And they correct their mistakes. Dismissing everyone, anyone and everything as "fake" if it doesn't fit with a particular view is a major threat to - what words to use - "society" - lets leave it at that. And it needs to be called out.   

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    Aeander said:
    btdt said:

And I was aware of that when I posted.

I still won't be doing business with them. Legitimizing the Trump administration's deflection of violence towards video games by refusing to promote them is disgusting.
    Did he quote you and then remove the quoted part because to me it looks like he is responding to the OP.

They still sell stuff for guns and bows/xbows so to stop selling video games seems a bit far fetched.
  • HellscreamHellscream Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Blame Games, Blame Movies, Violent things but the real place to point your finger is the sicko people in this world that do these types of things.

It has nothing to do with games movies etc a normal person has enough of a brain to know not to act on anything fictitious that they see in games movies and whatever other types of things.

So yeah lets point fingers at the real issue sick in the head people.
  • VutarVutar Member UncommonPosts: 916
    Aeander said:
    I was already recently shifting my shopping away from my loyal walmart for locking so many of its regular products behind anti-theft glass (inconveniencing EVERYONE just to cut down on theft).

This just gives me a legitimate political/personal reason to boycott the company outright. 

I'm guessing your liberal boycott will work just as well as the Chick-Fil-A boycott did years back...
    Aeander
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,025
    edited August 10
    More money for GameStop and Amazon.

Walmart is so stupid they can't see they are sending customers to their competitors.

They don't want gamers walking down their aisles, they want mass shooters buying their guns tho.

edited August 10
    Vutar said:
    Aeander said:
    I was already recently shifting my shopping away from my loyal walmart for locking so many of its regular products behind anti-theft glass (inconveniencing EVERYONE just to cut down on theft).

I'm guessing your liberal boycott will work just as well as the Chick-Fil-A boycott did years back...
    You mean as well as your conservative boycott of Nike or Starbucks last year?

How does it feel to have such thin skin as to be offended by a coffee cup, I wonder?
    gunklacker
    Who buys games in stores today when you get th egames cheaper on cdkey sites..mann its 2019 not 1980
    Ginaz

This discussion has been closed.