Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are you in such a hurry.....?

EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
I just recently started back in FFXIV, after not playing it since before Heavensward, so needless to say I've been getting reacquainted with the game and running Dungeons, Guildleves etc and most for the very first time. And I have to say, I enjoy the game but these last two aspects have not been fun for me... Not that they can't be fun, but because EVERY party I've been in rushes through it, the tank grabs a bunch of mobs, upwards of 5 or more at a time and we spank and move on.. I am playing DPS and am following but not seeing much of anything because of how fast eveyone wants to rush through these things. Does anyone ever want to just enjoy the journey anymore?
AlBQuirky

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Part of the blame falls on game developers. They incentivize doing the same content over and over, so that people are running it for the rewards but no longer enjoy it.

For example, that cut scene they insist you click through - they have already seen it 50 times. 
    KyleranYashaXAlBQuirkyacidbloodExistentialistAlbatroes

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Yeah if you want to go slow might have to watch it on Twitch or something. Although I was lucky when I played when game launched I was able to go through the dungeons properly. Now I shudder to think how it is and one of the reasons I don't go back even if I do love the story.
    KyleranAlBQuirky

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    They are rushing because they have done the dungeon 100 times and just farming.  If you want to run it like you've never done it, you have to find a group that has truely never done it.
    EmeraqAlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is the sad reality of rpg gaming now  days and why i am no longer interested.Dungeon loot farming is pretty much the ONLY reason people are playing mmorpg's.

Sure they can tell you they do other stuff but it still comes down to the reason they stick around and that is loot farming.
    What we used to call farming was to farm for mats to for example make arrows or bolts for your bow or crossbow.Farm materials to make certain foods/drinks.Farm mats to craft was basically the reason,now every focus is to run dungeons.

20+ years later and developers have not advanced mmorpg gaming,people are interested in loot dungeons,it was that way with EQ1 and still that way all these years later.

It tells me developers just have no clue how to create content that is actually FUN,content that people would do without any loot rewards.I said it a long long time ago,Besieged in FFXI is the best content ever made for a mmorpg,NO LOOT rewards,people would flock from all parts of the servers just to join in the fun.I remeber getting bored of Rifts inside of Rift within a few days,people still wanted to do besieged several years later,everyday it would start up people did it.
    Now? instance dungeon....instance dungeon...instance dungeon>>LAZY work by devs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    goboygo said:
    They are rushing because they have done the dungeon 100 times and just farming.  If you want to run it like you've never done it, you have to find a group that has truely never done it.
    I thought about the loot farming as well, but it seemed that they were passing on most of the drops as I got a ton and I roll greed all the time and very rarely need.
    AlBQuirky
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    If they are rushing, they obviously done it before...  

I'm not sure if you enjoy the opposite, terrible group, die every boss, a couple hours in and still haven't finish the dungeon... People keep leaving and need to wait for people to refill...  

• Shooter564567Shooter564567 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    When they cancelled Everquest Next it was all over.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    More bothersome to me is the fact that people re farming the exact same content over and over is sad.  Each to their own I guess.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited August 2019
    AAAMEOW said:
    If they are rushing, they obviously done it before...  

I'm not sure if you enjoy the opposite, terrible group, die every boss, a couple hours in and still haven't finish the dungeon... People keep leaving and need to wait for people to refill...  

Uh, yeah, there's a middle ground in there somewhere between crushingly difficult and piss easy.

Most modern MMOs are far too close to the latter side except perhaps for select content.
    AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaeMooMaMaeMooMa Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Emeraq said:
    I thought about the loot farming as well, but it seemed that they were passing on most of the drops as I got a ton and I roll greed all the time and very rarely need.
    Welcome back to the game!  I've been back about 6 months now after a similar start to yours.  The reason they're rushing is two fold - ilevels aren't synced, so they literally do a staggering amount of damage relative to you even with synced abilities, and they're almost all higher level players running Roulette's.  Since they're all high level, they don't need any of the gear - they're just doing it for the tomestones - they leave it  behind, so always roll greed if you want, otherwise it will almost always be left sitting.   It's not common to find a stack of people who haven't run it before at all, although you can always try the party finder and see if you can build such a party during prime time.

Happy gaming!
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I run dungeons 4 times a week to level op the SAM class and not once in the last couple of months have I, or fellow pug players, been interrupted while watching a cutscene. On the contrary, when there is a first time player for a dungeon tactics are explained, there are hello’s and goodbyes as well. I am on Moogle EU though  <3

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited August 2019
    People speed run dungeons (and older content) because it is the only enjoyment / challenge to be had from them... also, when the game encourages you do them every day, or even multiple times per day, for a handful of XP / currency is it any wonder people want to get through them efficiently?

So yes, sad as it is, get used to it, because unless the Devs change the design (which they won't, it's been a complaint for years) the players aren't going to change their behaviour.

Edit: Though perhaps sadder still is that every time the Devs do make (at least part of) a dungeon somewhat challenging there are calls for nerfs :/
    Post edited by acidblood on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    lahnmir said:
    I run dungeons 4 times a week to level op the SAM class and not once in the last couple of months have I, or fellow pug players, been interrupted while watching a cutscene. On the contrary, when there is a first time player for a dungeon tactics are explained, there are hello’s and goodbyes as well. I am on Moogle EU though  <3

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It's funny, no matter what the complaint is, no matter how many believe it is universally true, there's always that one person who says, "I have no idea what you are talking about, that never happens to me."

Whether its difficulty in finding groups, running into hackers, experiencing a game crushing bug or whatever, always some who have never heard of it.

They either lead semi-charmed lives, reside in an alternate reality from most of us, or pay extra for the "premium" experience. (Members only)

I need to find out where to sign up.

Cheers.

;)
    NanfoodleAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Ya same thing happens in allot of MMOs. ESO is really bad for it. One of the reasons I am looking forward to Pantheon, a game will you will need to CC, so tactics will slow things down a little. The downside, that is a long way off.  
    Catibrie
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It's funny, no matter what the complaint is, no matter how many believe it is universally true, there's always that one person who says, "I have no idea what you are talking about, that never happens to me."

Whether its difficulty in finding groups, running into hackers, experiencing a game crushing bug or whatever, always some who have never heard of it.

They either lead semi-charmed lives, reside in an alternate reality from most of us, or pay extra for the "premium" experience. (Members only)

Cheers.

;)
    What can I say, I am a glass half full guy. And the funny thing is, if you have a positive attitude and treat people according to it many will respond in the same way. Act like a negative douche and get treated like one as well.

Its kind of a self fulfilling prophecy really. Or maybe I m lucky. Lucky in WoW, FFXIV, LotRO, I dunno.

I see you’ve already adopted my Cheers, you are well on your way to a better life  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JeffSpicoliNanfoodleAlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Cheers.

;)
    My very limited time in FF14 is people are pretty nice.  I think Final fantasy have some sort of dungeon reputation system where you can score people on dungeon run.  That might help making people more friendly to each other.

I think when people get stuck in bad pug is when people get irritated.  Not sure how difficult final fantasy dungeon is.  People get quite upset in bad pug when in wow or GW2.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    More bothersome to me is the fact that people re farming the exact same content over and over is sad.  Each to their own I guess.
    Yep, I agree.  The disheartening thing about it is they'll think they're really good players and uber-hardcore because they play this way.  :D  Yet another reason I'm glad I decided never to group up with players these days.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    this is why i have stopped playing mmo's. they arent fun anymore. i have more fun playing single player games or coop games with my wife.

AlBQuirky
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I have tried this game 3 separate times...and NOTHING clicks, just sooo fn bad! I know its highly popular but, I think a lack of anything else to play ties in to its draw. I know the fan bois will say...YOU JUST DONT GET IT,DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YA IN THE AZZ...I wont....
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    bentrim said:
    I have tried this game 3 separate times...and NOTHING clicks, just sooo fn bad! I know its highly popular but, I think a lack of anything else to play ties in to its draw. I know the fan bois will say...YOU JUST DONT GET IT,DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YA IN THE AZZ...I wont....
    Your only option to not have this happen is with a new MMO and even then its only time till this starts all over again. If you are enjoying the MMO, its best you stay. If you cant, MMOs may not be a home for you... unless you play some of the really old MMOs like EQ1. Or start looking info Pantheon. With CC being built into the game, you will find people will take things slower as they will need to or die. 
    Catibrie
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    you know what I miss the most, in a MMO, I join up the game and just do anything I wanted without being forced to do dailys to progress, it was something I miss on AION and age of wushu, I logued on then and did anything I feel like doing, mostly pvp, was nice on aion when I jsut logued then moved to gelkmaros to do some quests, yes it was dailys but it was just something to do there other then hunting people, and then just keep fighting here or there, age of wushu was teh same everyonce in a while had to fight some moron who would try to kill me for guild hate or something or the territory wars
    AlBQuirkyRexKushman
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It's possible that some are nice enough to let you watch the scene but I started watching one and thought I heard combat (I could be wrong about that) so I exited out of the scene and the party was already fighting the boss.... Just the luck of the draw on the parties I suppose.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Keep in mind too that over the past decade, developers have just been funneling people into the back-end of the game (the 'endgame'). Its pretty rare in MMORPGs these days that you'll see anything for all brackets of the game or even players. What I mean by that is, back in the day, when an expansion dropped, you used to get new starting areas/mid-content rewards/even different types of content for people at the 'endgame' to participate in, not what we have now where everyone is doing the same exact thing, just different modes of it, which again are still the exact same.

I'd tolerate stuff more that has modes if there was something unique to that mode outside of just mobs having an attack gained, with the same exact rewards across the board just scaled up and/or recolored. Like for wow, instead of having 4 different modes for each raid teir, there should just be certain bosses that are gated behind modes and there should just be 2 modes. So maybe if you wanted normal, you only get 6 bosses and if you do Heroic you get all 9. This greatly helps cut down on the very real issue of visual nausea that people dont think about when they are doing content. Who cares about Mythic+ at higher levels if its just the same exact dungeon with increased numbers and the same skills just having different effects depending on the week. The reality of the success of Mythic+ back in legion was because people were making too much passive gold (which they are honestly trying to 'rectify' in bfa, by offering a lot less gold rewards, even reducing the sell value of alot of trash). People were buying their weekly 15s because they had nothing else to use money on, not actually doing the runs. Its stupid that Blizzard bases activity success on active numbers but can't actually understand the data they acquire. This is why stuff like WQ/M+/Raids/etc will see a lot lower activity rate compared to Legion, because the incentives and economy have completely flipped. People participated in everything regardless of the tier of content they were doing back in Legion simply because ANYTHING you did had a chance to give you a legendary (even your Blingtron daily).

There needs to be visually new things as you do harder content to keep people engaged otherwise they are just left with "wtf am I doing this for?" Which comes to rewards. If rewards aren't matching the difficult AS WELL AS having the longevity, then people simply wont care. Its just like the Benthic thing they are trying to throw in. Fine and dandy, even BiS for certain specs ONLY FOR THE RAID (which some people dont really think about), but 8.3 rolls around and its dead (pretty much veiled crystal fodder, just like what happened to 7.2 when 7.3 came out). Why are people going to realistically trying to participate in a system for 6 months, with each piece taking about 1-2 months to fully upgrade, only for said gear to be replaced the first week of the new patch.
    AlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Most all MMO's build some kind of grind content, and when faced with this, players will try to find the fastest/easiest way to complete that, since it's purely designed to be a time-sink, it it stands to reason that gamers will try to bypass it as fast as possible.

Nature of the game.. Nature of the Players.
    NanfoodleAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Start a 'newbs only/enjoy the story' group. It may take a while to fill, but you'll get what you want eventually.

SWTOR did a lot of things wrong, but their class stories were enjoyable, and it always irked me when playing with others who were in a hurry, so I started just playing solo.

Gut out!
    NanfoodleAlBQuirky

What, me worry?