Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going dark... Good move !

2»

Comments

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Renfail said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    DMKano said:
    Just a reminder that vast majority of video games die in development. 

Unfortunately, it's mostly the shitty ones left standing.
    /shrug

I'm having more fun gaming than I've had in years. There's a shitload of variety on PC and consoles, and as I turn 40 in January I can easily look back to where I started when I was gaming in my single digits and clearly see a massive growth of the industry, with expansion not slowing down anytime soon.

40?  I made the text a little larger for you so as to not strain your eyes.  Is this how you would prefer people to reply in the future?

[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    moshra said:

40?  I made the text a little larger for you so as to not strain your eyes.  Is this how you would prefer people to reply in the future?

40 is young. I am 56. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I'm over 60 lol and yes that helps :'(
    moshraAmatheKylerancheyane[Deleted User]SpottyGekkosakin13

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Arterius said:
    kitarad said:
    i'll be 29 in September
    I own t-shirts which are older.

:| 
    [Deleted User]delete5230[Deleted User]SpottyGekkosakin13

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Arterius said:
    kitarad said:
    i'll be 29 in September

Thought about this the other day. I have a T Shirt in my closet that I bought in 1988. So it really is older than someone who is 29. Wow. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:
    Arterius said:
    kitarad said:
    i'll be 29 in September

Thought about this the other day. I have a T Shirt in my closet that I bought in 1988. So it really is older than someone who is 29. Wow. 
    I have a college Jersey from 1978 and a Wrangler denim jacket from 1972, oldest attire in my closet.

Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    Kyleran said:
    Arterius said:
    kitarad said:
    i'll be 29 in September

I have a college Jersey from 1978 and a Wrangler denim jacket from 1972, oldest attire in my closet.

I have a fraternity jersey from 1982. That is my oldest clothing item, except for unknown things that may yet lurk in my garage. 
    Kyleran

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2019
    Quietly working along and showing only what you want to show when you want to show it is a good move.

The only reason it seems odd to some is that we're so used to crowdfunded MMOs releasing news items about everything and anything simply because they are in a perpetual state of crowdfunding.

They're not doing it to be nice and keep interested players hyper-informed. It's just how crowdfunding works when you're constantly asking for more cash.

Of course along with the hyper-visibility also comes the negative: hyper-criticism.
    [Deleted User]KyleranSovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Iselin said:

Of course along with the hyper-visibility also comes the negative: hyper-criticism.
    Yep. We're intimately familiar. We did three years of pre-alpha while having a pre-order store open and documenting every single wart, grey hair, wrinkle, and spot. The amount of players who don't understand foundation layer iterations is astonishing. 

"The textures looks like shit". Yep. No focus on art as we've been focused on programming. Do we really have to keep repeating this?

"The animations look like shit." Yep. No focus on art as we've been focused on programming. Do we really have to keep repeating this?

"The spell effects look like shit." Yep. No focus on art as we've been focused on programming. Do we really have to keep repeating this?

Flashy graphics do not make a game function: thousands of lines of code do. But unfortunately the vast majority of gamers can't separate pre-alpha placeholder graphics and polished launch graphics. It's one of those catch-22 things that you just have to accept if you are going to be doing any sort of crowdfunding. 

The biggest breath of fresh air for us was moving to closed alpha and being able to start working on the art side of the game this summer. While we will still be in an alpha state by the time we re-open the store in 2020, we'll have some more focused art styles, better animations, better spell effects, and an overall enhanced visual look to appease at least some of the "your game looks like shit" crowd. 

But you still can't please everyone, and we aren't Cyberpunk 2077 with a 250+ million dollar budget. 

We look forward to debuting some new visuals in Q12020. 

Amathebng28
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited August 2019
    Renfail said:
    Do we really have to keep repeating this?

Any time you make something and allow others access, they will comment. They will comment based on what they think they are seeing. And they usually think they are seeing something finished or close to finished. 

The only time I ever let someone listen to something I've written is when it's done. And then I take their criticism seriously. Depending on what they say I will make changes or no changes at all. All depends on what they are commenting on and whether they understand the piece. And if the don't understand it and don't like it then that's ok as well.

When you take money from other people to help fund your project then you are "somewhat" compelled to show them something.

Problem here is that it seems some devs are never clear about what they are showing to their intended audience.

"Hey everyone, we have a 20 minute run through of a dungeon we've been working on. We hope you enjoy it ..." is not going to cut it.

"Hey everyone we have a 20 minute run through of a dungeon we've been working on. The specific reason we want to show you this is x, y and z. you will notice that 'these' textures and 'these' animations seem this and that. That's because we are in x stage of development and they aren't actually worked on until y stage of development.

As an example, here is a picture/some footage of one of the first iterations of these characters. You can see how far they have progressed but as mentioned, they still have a ways to go because we need to do this, do that, this is just a place holder, etc"

You are still going to get some people who are just damaged and they are just looking to lash out "because." But at least you have described exactly what you are showing and why you are showing it. And people who have given money will want to be shown something so that they can be assured that you aren't just sitting on a beach on some island and sipping fruity drinks on their dime.

However, part of this is how you sold the game do backers as well. As soon as you tell someone that your game is going to be "x" then they have already filled their head with images of their dream game, how it will look, play, etc. I suspect that if you were up front honest and showed them photos of, say Vanguard and said "when we launch our indy game we will have "z" features. However, it will look close to this *insert vanguard photo*

Players might not like that. "It's 2019 and ... blah blah blah." Even if it's the absolute truth. And that's the risk you run as an indy dev. Selling your game to people who actually understand what they will be getting. 

so it's a bit of a rock and a hard place. I"m always for absolute honesty so that you can at least cater to people who get it and disregard people who don't.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    WTF has mmorpg become, a thread about a game being quiet and then the old folks home community comes in and starts talking about their t-shirts...  Shit I've been gone a while.
    sakin13
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Hashbrick said:
    WTF has mmorpg become, a thread about a game being quiet and then the old folks home community comes in and starts talking about their t-shirts...  Shit I've been gone a while.
    Welcome back.  Glad to have you adding such engaging contributions to the thread.  
    SovrathLokerosakin13
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Renfail said:
    Utinni said:
    Thought this was a post about how dark night time in the game is. 
    Have you tried Outward yet? Another game that has done darkness brilliantly. 
     Talking about darkness in games, I think the darkest night I've expirence in a RPG was Gothic 1.

Man that was dark lol. 

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Geeky said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Welcome back.  Glad to have you adding such engaging contributions to the thread.  
    To be fair, how old a t-shirt is isn't all that engaging either (unless on some tshirt reddit), but a horse a piece I sposse.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Renfail said:
    the good thing about being this dead is, they really scrap the game no one will notice
    Yep. 15 team members working + active investors + closed alpha = dead project 

/rolls eyes
    Soon as I saw that...........Makes it a real project IMO.
    Renfail said:

Do we really have to keep repeating this?

Well, yes and no. 

No, because it's your game, and you control the messaging. So if you don't want to keep repeating something you don't have to.

Yes, in the sense that if you put something out there, tongues will wag, and they probably haven't read all that you said before, even if it is three inches above their cursor. If you want to inform those folks, you are going to need to repeat yourself. That is why politicians, sales people, advertisers, teachers, trial lawyers, etc. constantly repeat themselves.