Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyberpunk 2077 Getting New Game +, CD Projekt RED Confirms - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCyberpunk 2077 Getting New Game +, CD Projekt RED Confirms - MMORPG.com

It looks like Cyberpunk 2077 will receive New Game + mode after all, as confirmed by CD Projekt RED.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This article read like an Abbot & Costello routine for me. Would have been nice to explain what "New Game +" first for us folks having a Costello day.

IshkalmazutMagplar
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2019
    This article read like an Abbot & Costello routine for me. Would have been nice to explain what "New Game +" first for us folks having a Costello day.

Isn't New Game + pretty well a standard in all of these story/RPG single player games? You can play the game again from the beginning but starting at your current level with all or some of what you earned/unlocked the first time around.
    [Deleted User]infomatz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Iselin said:

Isn't New Game + pretty well a standard in all of these story/RPG single player games? You can play the game again from the beginning but starting at your current level with all or some of what you earned/unlocked the first time around.
    I believe it is. Having said that, I had the same thought as he did. They assume people know what that means.
    bcbully
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
     I actually thought it meant they were scrapping what they had done already and were working on a new version .

Ishkal
    In Borderlands they called it True Vault Hunter Mode, and Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

I honestly didn't know "New Game +" was an industry standard term. When you read about a game having a new game + the confusion can be hilarious (see what I did there?).

I read it like 3 times, and thought I was having a stroke or something.  :D
    Sovrathbcbully
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217

Sovrath said:

Iselin said:

I believe it is. Having said that, I had the same thought as he did. They assume people know what that means.

Thanks for the feedback folks! We’ll be sure to explain things like more clearly moving forward.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Sovrath said:

Iselin said:

Thanks for the feedback folks! We’ll be sure to explain things like more clearly moving forward.

Explaining it at some time in the future is great, but it doesn't help me NOW, lol

Never heard of this "New Game+" concept, so the main news in this article is meaningless to me...
  • SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I read the article, still no clue what new game + is.
    edited August 2019
    • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. 
    • Borderlands 2. 
    • Nier: Automata.
    • Bloodborne.
    • Horizon: Zero Dawn.
    • Dishonored 2. 
    • Persona 5.
    • Dead Space 2.
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Mass Effect 3
    All of those are games with New Game Plus and some, including the Witcher even call it exactly that.

The concept has been in single player games for at least a decade. I can get people not recognizing it by the name of "New Game +" if you didn't play The Witcher 3 or any of the the games that call it exactly that, but to be unfamiliar with the concept in 2019 is just fucking weird.

There's even a frigging Wikipedia entry for it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Game_Plus
    Asm0deusPhryTacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Iselin said:

• Borderlands 2. 
    • Bloodborne.
    • Dishonored 2. 
    • Persona 5.
    • Dead Space 2.
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Mass Effect 3
    All of those are games with New Game Plus and some, including the Witcher even call it exactly that.

The concept has been in single player games for at least a decade. I can get people not recognizing it by the name of "New Game +" if you didn't play The Witcher 3 or any of the the games that call it exactly that, but to be unfamiliar with the concept in 2019 is just fucking weird.

Never ASSume.

It's also the convention to define industry specific terms at their first mention in an article, and only after can the use of it continue without description.

... but to be unfamiliar with this basic concept in 2019 is just fucking weird.
    Liljna

You stay sassy!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Iselin said:
    • Borderlands 2. 
    • Bloodborne.
    • Dishonored 2. 
    • Persona 5.
    • Dead Space 2.
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Mass Effect 3

While I had seen the term before it wasn’t really clear at first as I’ve never played most of the games on that list and the two I had played I never finished. Still it’s true and a good habit to look it up so good point there. 

However your thinking like a gamer and not everyone who plays video games is really up on that stuff. Once I figured it out I was more on the side of “how is this going to work in the game.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Iselin said:
    • Borderlands 2. 
    • Bloodborne.
    • Dishonored 2. 
    • Persona 5.
    • Dead Space 2.
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Mass Effect 3

Add Metal Gear Solid to that list, I think you even got a golden gun to use next play through with.
    [Deleted User]
    edited August 2019
    Arterius said:
    If this game is longer then witcher 3 it will be 300+ hours long with DLC. I cant imagine playing this game twice to utilize new game +
    I used it for my 2nd playthrough of the Witcher 3 mostly because I didn't want to hunt around for my favorite light armor. But yeah, that was like 2 years after the first time through so if it comes later as a patch for Cyberpunk that's just fine with me.

I do play games I like more than once. I'm actually half way through Mass Effect 3 right now. I play 1 to 3 of that series every couple of years or so. ME2 kind of sucks as an NG+ game though because the experience really slows down after level 30 so you don't get the fun of leveling up and adding skills to your build as much. ME3 is a lot better balanced in that respect.
    Huntrezz

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Rhoklaw said:
    I've played a lot of games since computers first evolved and I've never heard the term "new game +" which I guess is an industry standard for what I would consider something similar to prestige in FPS games? I don't know and I'm sure it won't affect me not knowing either.

[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Hold on I thought this game was an mmo LOL!!????!!!
    Baalzharon
  • nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Thought this was a normal thing for most Rpg style games... Weird that they're not just working on it.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Ishkal said:
    Hold on I thought this game was an mmo LOL!!????!!!
    You thought a strictly single player game was an mmorpg?
    edited August 2019
    So what you guys are saying is, this new game has new game + plus other new features in addition to the new game? I knew the new game would allow for new games I just didn't know no other new game terms were available outside of new game + plus I'm new to the game, pardon my ignorance.  :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited August 2019

Sovrath said:

Iselin said:

Explaining it at some time in the future is great, but it doesn't help me NOW, lol

Never heard of this "New Game+" concept, so the main news in this article is meaningless to me...

pretty comon concept in game design. and yes, it is a term used in the industry.

new game+ refers to a game mode you can access AFTER you finished the main story, usualy improving on difficulty.
    sometimes with just an open world without story, or as in borderlands case, more to grind your ass off for guns, guns, guns! ;)

you start with your old char, and from here on... it will be hard if done right

actually the term is used since the late 90s i think, comming from chrono trigger as origin

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I thought only people over 75 years old didn't know what new game+ was.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    New staff getting away with non MMO posts without dozens of "reeeee thats not an mmo omg this is mmorpg.com" posts.

Things are looking bright for the future of this website.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Not sure why CD Project felt we needed to know this because there is nothing there that excites me.
    Religion matters....zzzzz
    A room we can store stuff,umm yeah wouldn't that be considered ..obviously?
    I have no idea what new game + is but judging by the rest of the information,likely as meaningless as the rest.

nomadie said:

Thought this was a normal thing for most Rpg style games... Weird that they're not just working on it.

Yeah this is exactly what i was thinking,i guess this is the new era of marketing,like Early access games,yeah ALL games can be considered EA since devs continue to work on them,we just never needed any "TERMS"to heighten meaningless dribble.SO now this dev feels the need to tell us they are working on the game...oh how amazing,thanks for that info.

From day 1 i figured this to be a heavily marketed game and likely turns out to be half as good as the hype.They will pay,give perks,invite many websites to give their game endorsements.We should be seeing already on day 1-2 ,loads of 10/10's posted on websites all over.
    TacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    If it turns out to be half as good as the hype, it will end up being 400x better than any game that came before it.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Basically it gets bigger and harder the more you play with it!!
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Utinni said:
    New staff getting away with non MMO posts without dozens of "reeeee thats not an mmo omg this is mmorpg.com" posts.

Things are looking bright for the future of this website.
    As long as they aren't playing the word games to cause people to react like that.