Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the worst feature/mechanic in a game that destroyed what would have been a good game?

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 514
edited August 2019 in General Gaming
I'm gonna have to go with Mafia 3 that I got in a humblebundle monthly.

Game started off amazing. Amazing story (at least at the start), voice acting and looked like an otherwise good game.

And then...got to the gameplay part. And the game was the most handholding game I ever played in my life. The game wanted you to sneak, but it showed on a minimap (that you can't get rid of) every single enemy around you. Completely destroying any point in sneaky gameplay. And there were secrets to find in the world...except...every single secret was marked in a huge UI overlay showing you where they were. 

I actually didn't get far in the game despite me enjoying the very initial part, because every single thing from secrets, quests, enemies, every single thing was marked on either the minimap, the world itself or in huge quest arrows. And none of it you could turn off.

Completely ruined what would have been (for me) a rather good game. Uninstalled it and never played it since nor do I ever want to.

So back to the title...

What is the worst feature/mechanic in a game that destroyed what would have been a good game?

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Heroes of the Storm forgoing all the usual things that make a moba a moba. CS, Items, Income, Personal XP. I'm sure this was popular among folks who didn't like moba, but thats why the game is unpopular. Making a game in a genre... for people who don't like the genre.
  • clashoffclashoff Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Batman detective mode. All it really is is find/follow the shiny thing.

Weapon degradation. It's very frustrating being in the middle of combat and your weapon breaks, so you have left and go find the blacksmith or whatever for repairs just to keep fighting. Oddly enough, I found that Breath of the Wild offered a very unique solution- enemies drop tons of weapons suitable for fighting those enemies and also allowing the last hit to be thrown for critical damage. This means the combat never stops, you just keep moving and fighting in a very fluid system. I found that a clone game on Apknite even has a better mechanic like that. 
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Batman detective mode is pretty classic at being bad.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Two Worlds. If you went off the path for whatever reason the game literally forced you back on it. Fable 3, the whole game is literally a sparkly line you follow.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited August 2019
    Clearly the answer is "F2P" / cash shops, I hold up the fiasco Trion made with the  ArcheAge US release as exhibit A.

There are dozens, if not hundreds more good examples out there of course, probably the number one game killer.

:D
    WaanTyranusPrimeScorchienmoshra

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    edited August 2019
    cut scenes in MMO's
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Weapon "durability" - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

TyranusPrimecameltosis
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    P2W in Archeage, could have been great otherwise. :/
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Clearly the answer is "F2P" / cash shops, I hold up the fiasco Trion made with the  ArcheAge US release as exhibit A.

There are dozens, if not hundreds more good examples out there of course, probably the number one game killer.

Nope, clearly the answer is pvp, with exhibit A Face of Mankind.
    (exhibit B, the forced pvp in the middle of RaiderZ's leveling curve)

A more overall answer, and a better fit to OP's example of Mafia 3: the appearance of QTEs in adventure games as the "core" gameplay mechanic.
    Kyleran
    Open world - Dynasty Warriors 9, Rage 2, and many, many other games.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The dice game in DMC4, an all time low for the series.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And yet DMC4 was still much better than DMC2.
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    PvP.  
    Any game that has it.  Ruined.
    Geeky said:
    PvP.  
    Any game that has it.  Ruined.
    PVP as a game mechanic is fine, it's the idiots behind the keyboard/ controller that fk everything up.

TyranusPrimePo_gg

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    True, that made the inclusion of the dice game even worse though, they did it to a good game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    SWG - the Holo Grind

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    age of conan sieges.

Buggy mess that never worked, they based their entire game around this end game mechanic for people to do these huge sieges. Game wasnt all that hard to level up in ( typical click on npc with yellow thing do quest and turn in ) type game. so once everybody starting hitting max levels and wanted to do these sieges that they promised where going to be so bad ass.

yeah lets just say the population plummeted rather quickly.
    Kyleran
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    F2P and cash shops ... period.

The entire game is changed to shape around these models. It was the beginning of the end of game-centric design.
    Kyleran

You stay sassy!

I am one of the 12 people who actually liked FO76 despite the Bethesda follies.

Except for one thing, one game ruining feature I can't cope with, the limited inventory space.

Even after it increased from 400 to 600 it drove a horder like me crazy.

Dumb arses at Bethesda can't even monetize a game correctly by selling folks like me more storage space.

I'm such an easy mark, just ask the folks at Grinding Gear (POE) they'll tell you.

Scowl.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    RNG
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Shareholders.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    WoW. Two things. One was (!) and the other was no experience for killing mobs. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It's really a shame. I think Lucia was a great character added to the wrong game. I wish Capcom brought her back as a playable character to a modern DMC and a new story for her.

• ToastyToasty Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Amathe said:
    SWG - the Holo Grind
    Yep. The middle ground SWG had for jedi prior to the utter crapfest of NGE was lore-perfect. Every character had a small chance at creation to be flagged as force sensitive. Jedi are supposed to be rare. Trying to balance stuff around the idea that anyone could be one is a nightmare.

That said, can I present the entirety of that fiasco? Especially as SOE basically sprung it on the community. JTL SWG was buggy as hell, but to me was the pinnacle of a star wars game. Don't want to be the hero? Here, be a moisture farmer. It's an important job. Rose colored glasses or not, SOE sits atop the throne of "how quickly can we kill our game"
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Dungeon/Raid finders.