Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wonders: Planetfall Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAge of Wonders: Planetfall Review - MMORPG.com

Age of Wonders: Planetfall is a remarkable take on the Sci-fi 4X genre. The visuals are beautiful, the interface and mechanics are superb, and there are plenty of opportunities for deep, strategic fun. Although the game is more evolutionary than revolutionary, it makes great use of the Age of Wonders III formula and isn’t shy about changing it up where it makes sense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I have so many 4X games, but they all feel so incredibly complicated to get into, does it get easier after a while or is the wall really high for feeling like you know what does what?
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited August 2019
    I have only played Sorcerer's King and I cannot really do well in these games. They're too complicated for me. I would like to be good at them. I just lack the ability to see the bigger battlefield and strategize without concentrating on the smaller areas and units. Everything gets out of hand and soon I have about as much chance as a snowball in hell to win.
    infomatz

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited August 2019
    Yay! Its here! So excited. Not looking forward to the overpriced DLC on the way, but Yay! It’s here! Only have about 10 hours in so far, but I am loving it.

To the posters above, It does get easier the more time you spend in it, just like anything else. I think the complexity is part of the draw for many. There are more complicated and less complicated ones than this tho, for sure. Ive been playing these games for decades but still cannot figure Europa Universalis out for some reason. Some of the less complicated ones that are still very good are Disciples 2 and Sid Meir’s Starships, imo. There is also agar.io for the minimalist, lol but it does have a bit of a twitch element to it.
    Post edited by Palebane on

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Mmochamp19Mmochamp19 Newbie CommonPosts: 12
    what is 4x?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I have so many 4X games, but they all feel so incredibly complicated to get into, does it get easier after a while or is the wall really high for feeling like you know what does what?
    I used to gobble up any and all 4X games but over time progress in the genre seems to be equated with complexity and micromanagement so most of the new ones just give me a headache :)

I miss the elegant simplicity of games like MOO and MOO 2 that had just the right amount of complexity and fun.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Mendelgastovski1Sandmanjw
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

what is 4x?

eXplore
    eXploit
    eXpand
    eXterminate
    3dominfomatz

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    what is 4x?
    explore, expand, exploit, exterminate
    3dom
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sovrath said:
    what is 4x?
    explore, expand, exploit, exterminate
    That's also the entire text of the Dalek's reading primer.

Sovrath[Deleted User]infomatzTacticalZombeh

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Palebane said:

what is 4x?

eXplore
    eXploit
    eXpand
    eXterminate
    ok what other games would fit that?  I have played a few RTS, but mostly AOE2
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Palebane said:

what is 4x?

eXplore
    eXploit
    eXpand
    eXterminate
    Well, as Iselin said, Master of Orion (the series) Civilization (all of them), Andromeda, Galactic Civilizations, Sins of a Solar Empire ... etc, etc, 
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    ok yah I have never played any of those probably too old to jump in now, even a game like POE2's complexity has me overwhelmed
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2019
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Palebane said:

what is 4x?

eXplore
    eXploit
    eXpand
    eXterminate
    Well, as Iselin said, Master of Orion (the series) Civilization (all of them), Andromeda, Galactic Civilizations, Sins of a Solar Empire ... etc, etc, 
    RTS aren't considered 4X. I personally don't agree with the accepted arbitrary genre partitions with regards to 4X, Grand Strategy, RTS, and such. Most of them are hybrids now.

This is a good read. https://jonshaferondesign.com/2013/01/03/turn-based-vs-real-time/

For the most part i agree on RTS (not 4X) , but Distant Worlds which is pauseable RTS is the best 4x game made to date , its not a discussion imo..

Ill aadd Sins never felt like a 4x to me , very weak as a 4x , much better to describe as a combat sim

And also for anyone that may feel overwhlemed to take on a 4x game , a nice hybrid that has some offerings and feel of a 4x wrapped up in an immersive world with good story and great diplo , with very well done tactical TB combat ..   try  ..

Its a nice tweeener , and introduction to 4x game but not quite so complex...

[Deleted User]
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

Age of Wonders doesn't have all that much in common with 4X games; and I don't believe the developer has ever even referred to it as such. It's much more similar to Heroes of Might and Magic... and yes, the barrier to entry isn't that high. You'll understand the game after 1 or 2 campaign missions.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,837
    edited August 2019
    I like 4X games in concept (after all, I'm a turn based strategy guy), but actually having the time to play one, especially with friends, is a nigh impossibility. There is no more time consuming, inaccessible genre. 
    TacticalZombeh
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I've been watching early reviews on Steam.  The most alarming one describes Planetfall as a cross between Civ and Heroes of Might & Magic.  While Heroes is liked by many, I don't think the concepts are all that compatible with a 4x.  Maybe that reviewer meant that your cities can only build units like the base race/faction, like AoW3 (or others, all the way back to MoM).  That would be okay, but not as interesting as I has hoped.  Then again, that reviewer might simply be a loon.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Mendel said:

I've been watching early reviews on Steam.  The most alarming one describes Planetfall as a cross between Civ and Heroes of Might & Magic.  While Heroes is liked by many, I don't think the concepts are all that compatible with a 4x.  Maybe that reviewer meant that your cities can only build units like the base race/faction, like AoW3 (or others, all the way back to MoM).  That would be okay, but not as interesting as I has hoped.  Then again, that reviewer might simply be a loon.

civ(alpha centauri is more similar) and xcom actually, it even has the xcom cover system, ap movement, overwatch etc. heroes might and magic doesn't have cover system.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Well I am enjoying it 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I was thinking about getting Civilization: Beyond Earth + expansion for some entry level 4x gaming. Any thoughts on its quality anyone? It seems to be a rather devisive title.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited August 2019
    lahnmir said:
    I was thinking about getting Civilization: Beyond Earth + expansion for some entry level 4x gaming. Any thoughts on its quality anyone? It seems to be a rather devisive title.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I love BE. It got a lot if criticism, but it’s a really good game; Similar enough to Alpha Centauri and this game that the setting alone does it justice, imo. I feel like much of the criticism was that it was too much like CivV which came out soon before it. That and people judging it before spending any time with it. It does get kind of “samey” at some points, just like every tbs game I have ever played.
    [Deleted User]lahnmirOzmodan

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    All 4x games become predictable after only a couple days playing.The mechanics are all figured out,the combat begins to feel handcuffed and weak at times until after a week of fun you become bored for good.
    I was intrigued the first couple times i tried the genre,i had some fun but now i don't really care about the genre anymore.I will still take a look from time to time to see if maybe a developer comes up with some new ideas to spice up the genre and make combat better.

I have hardly ever had an occasion where i didn't feel like i already knew the outcome of battle.That ruins a lot of it for me,doesn't even matter if the micro managing is fun if i know the combat will be boring.
    So watching some on Twitch,dude is just talking then he gets attacked,an aggressor,so he can't retreat ,auto lose,thanks for playing.There was nothing exciting about the encounter so imo ....no this game is not going to cut it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited August 2019
    They are predictable, as much so as a film or a book, or any other genre of video game, imo. Its the imagination you inject into it by suspending disbelief. Some games (and books and movie/shows) lend themselves to that better than others by having better actors, writing, or setting, but its just a matter of taste and preference at that point I suppose.

edited August 2019
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Ive never felt the Civ games were very good 4x at all they are TBS  and rather weak at that ...

Entertaining yes ...

4x  no

Grand Strategy ..lol

They are nice game for a kid to play for learning features and history tho .. and they are very well done , for what they are
    Mendel
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited August 2019
    Scorchien said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Ive never felt the Civ games were very good 4x at all they are TBS  and rather weak at that ...

Entertaining yes ...

4x  no

Grand Strategy ..lol

They are nice game for a kid to play for learning features and history tho .. and they are very well done , for what they are
    I am not looking for something particulary complex to be honest, I was just wondering if it was Civ in Space or a an Alpha Centauri done Civ style game. That, and if it was well made and fun of course.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    Scorchien said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Entertaining yes ...

4x  no

Grand Strategy ..lol

I am not looking for something particulary complex to be honest, I was just wondering if it was Civ in Space or a an Alpha Centauri done Civ style game. That, and if it was well made and fun of course.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It is well made and fun
    OzmodanPalebane
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Scorchien said:
    lahnmir said:
    Scorchien said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Entertaining yes ...

4x  no

Grand Strategy ..lol

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    It is well made and fun
    That depends on your point of view.  I still replay Civ games, BE was good for a playthrough once or twice.  It just lacked replayability.
    Scorchien