Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Red’s Read on Exclusives - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageOPINION: Red’s Read on Exclusives - MMORPG.com

Red Thomas takes on exclusive deals between publishers and distribution platforms. Is Epic hurting the community through exclusive deals with publishers that keep popular games away from other providers like Steam?

Read the full story here

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I see exclusivity as fear in not being able to compete in an open market. I also will never buy an game as long as it is exclusive. Throughout my life there have been many games made that might have been great, but I didn't buy them because they were console exclusive to this or that console. I will not do exclusive on PC the same way I never have on console. It is a personal choice. If your game or platform can't stand on it's on an it has to hide behind things like offering discounts through things like exclusivity then I don't need either. I don't care about the reasons why a dev goes that route either, as a customer I just will not support it.
    SiysrrilelveoneAeanderpsychosiz1KyleranfoppoteePhixion13cheebachocolate42069ChicharGamerand 19 others.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Most of my favorite games ever are first party exclusives made possible by the platform they are exclusive to.

If Nintendo wants to bankroll Fire Emblem, the best turn based strategy RPG franchise, I'll support that. Or the Smash Bros franchise (the only fighting games I actually enjoy). Or Xenoblade, one of the best JRPG franchises.

If Sony wants to bankroll such incredible experiences as God of War or Persona, I'll support that. These are among the only linear, story driven AAA experiences we still get, and exclusivity is a much better price to pay than microtransactions.

Ultimately, the excellent experiences made possible by exclusivity deals far outweigh, to me, the "loss" of said game on other platforms (which more than likely would be said game not existing at all or existing in lesser quality.) I don't love my PC so much that I need to play absolutely everything on that platform. 

Similarly, it isn't that Epic has exclusives that bothers me. It is that Epic isn't creating/funding that content, but rather subsidizing it at the last minute. If Epic creates a high quality Unreal tournament or Gears of War, even as an Epic gamestore exclusive, that is contributing something of value. If Epic were to have funded Shenmue 3 from the start, with no Kickstarter ever having happened, that would have contributed something of value.

Similarly, if Valve were to get off its ass and start producing a Half Life 3 or a Portal 3 or anything of value (not Artifact), as an exclusive to sell its platform, that would be similarly welcome.
    noxaeternusKyleranKajidourdenanemoharken33cheebaChicharGamerGinazFolmenSabracand 7 others.
  • SiysrrilSiysrril Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited August 2019
    The games market is full of "may or may not happen" of which I'm done with, I will not make my purchasing decision based on promises.

Give me a good store with all the existing features we enjoy from already existing stores, and innovate from there, you know, a good reason to buy from them.

From Epic's store all I see is a half-assed/mediocre effort sprinkled with $ symbols.

In all, Developers that are in for exclusivity deals are not on the side of the gamer, so why should I be on their side?
    KyleranfoppoteePhixion13ChicharGamerRobbgobbFolmenSabracMaddog666wingoodSandmanjwand 5 others.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    Ultimately more money going to people who actually make games instead of to people who hold up a storefront is a good thing. Most of the complaints against Epic are nitpicks or things that can be substituted in multitude of ways. The only viable problem I can see is people being used to regional pricing for their region and regional pricing for that Region being missing in EGS.
    KyleranPhixion13ChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666infomatzEricDaniePhry
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited August 2019
    Businesses are free to distribute their games how they please. It seems counter productive not to sell to as many people as possible, but I’m no CEO. There have been many games that I missed out on because of exclusivity, but I have a big enough library and backlog to ever go without.
    elveonefoppoteeChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666EricDaniePhry

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Palebane said:

Businesses are free to distribute their games how they please. It seems counter productive not to sell to as many people as possible, but I’m no CEO. There have been man games that I missed out on because of exclusivity, but I have a big enough library and backlog to ever go without.

Well, the thing is that just because you are on a platform does not mean that you are selling it to everyone on that platform. There are big games that will sell no matter the platform despite the vocal backlash. And there are smaller games that really benefit from the guaranteed sales and even from the visibility that the EGS is giving them as there are very few games there and releases happen rarely. Basically every game released on EGS is seen by anyone who bothers to open up the store and look through the news section and that unfortunately does not go the same way for steam where there are multiple releases every day, most of them being complete trash which makes users less likely to look through those new releases.
    PalebanecheebaChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666EricDaniePhry
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    From a games consumer perspective, PC digital storefront exclusivity is at most a minor annoyance of having to install yet another launcher. It's nothing like the HW based exclusivity of the console world where it can cost a few hundred dollars to get at the game you want to play.

I'm not convinced that any of this will lead to long term consumer benefits in savings passed on to us or increased quality by spurring an indie games renaissance, but it's a nice cheery thought for a Thursday :)
    Palebaneelveoneharken33Maddog666infomatzSandmanjw
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Wasn't there a big giant civil war on MMORPG forums about this already? Did the article writer miss out? Slow day? :D
    FolmenMaddog666
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited August 2019
    Wasn't there a big giant civil war on MMORPG forums about this already? Did the article writer miss out? Slow day? :D
    Let's face it. Even if you're right, this is one of the three biggest controversies in the industry right now (the others being lootboxes and politics). 

If you want views, a thread on one of these three topics is the way to go. And if you want to avoid a complete cesspit of a forum, the third is to be avoided.
    elveonefoppoteeFolmenSabracMaddog666infomatzEricDanieLeFantome
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

elveone said:

Ultimately more money going to people who actually make games instead of to people who hold up a storefront is a good thing.

Except does that really happen with Epic exclusives? Or does the extra money go towards the executives and the shareholders? It's foolish to talk about how the people who make the games benefit from Epic when Epic itself is guilty of abusing their own employees.
    elveonecheebaChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666EricDanie
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Iselin said:

From a games consumer perspective, PC digital storefront exclusivity is at most a minor annoyance of having to install yet another launcher.

Remember when Epic launcher read your list of Steam friends without getting the user's permission? Why should anyone trust them after that? A security risk is not a "minor annoyance".
    IselinelveonecheebaChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666EricDanieNordicApachePhry
    Alverant said:

Iselin said:

From a games consumer perspective, PC digital storefront exclusivity is at most a minor annoyance of having to install yet another launcher.

Remember when Epic launcher read your list of Steam friends without getting the user's permission? Why should anyone trust them after that? A security risk is not a "minor annoyance".
    You mean like the time Valve fucked up massively and introduced a glitch a couple years back that allowed customers to randomly access cached copies of one another's accounts with personal information and card data included?
    IselinelveonecheebaChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666TacticalZombeh
  • jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223
    "B..b..but you should use an inferior platform so you can better the market. Epic won't strong arm smaller similar startups from trying to compete with steam." Sorry epic is the bane of this market and is downright poisonous to the current pc gaming market. It's pushing exclusives and even lets its exclusives use steam to advertise (Mechwarrior, metro, etc) and then pulls them out last minute. They aren't in a rush to get any community or trading features out and their store still lacks features that are basic even to flash based websites. Also consumerism is a capitalistic idea that can best be described as "making the most money by making the best product." However proponents of pure capitolism argue for companies making the most money B.A.M.N. This is a poisonous mindset however it is one that pervades the economic market of business and ideas at the moment.
    AeanderelveonePalebanecheebaChicharGamerFolmen[Deleted User]Maddog666mbrodieEricDanieand 1 other.
  • SiysrrilSiysrril Member UncommonPosts: 55

Aeander said:

Alverant said:

Iselin said:

You mean like the time Valve fucked up massively and introduced a glitch a couple years back that allowed customers to randomly access cached copies of one another's accounts with personal information and card data included?

Big difference between intended actions and unintended ones.
    elveoneAeandercheebaChicharGamerBruceYeeFolmen[Deleted User]Maddog666EricDanieElquinand 1 other.
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    I did miss it, but I'm not surprised it was a thing.  =)

Actually, I'm a business owner and while I don't get to write about it very often, the BUSINESS of video games is fascinating to me.  You guys get to read the interviews and impressions where I talk to devs about games, but what you don't often see are all the awesome conversations over lunch or coffee that I get to have with the CFOs, VCs, and other financial guys about the actual business of making and running games.  Just not enough people find it interesting enough to write about.

So when something like this comes along and I get to throw my hat in the ring to talk about economic aspects of the industry?   I'll take it! lol
    PalebaneMaddog666infomatzTacticalZombehEricDanieMeleconLeFantome
    Siysrril said:

Aeander said:

Alverant said:

Iselin said:

There are reasons to trust or not trust any and all pieces of software you install... where did whatshisname and his anti-Denuvo campaign go?

But trust or lack thereof for a particular launcher has SFA to do with exclusivity.
    elveoneMaddog666
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    k61977 said:
    I see exclusivity as fear in not being able to compete in an open market. I also will never buy an game as long as it is exclusive. Throughout my life there have been many games made that might have been great, but I didn't buy them because they were console exclusive to this or that console. I will not do exclusive on PC the same way I never have on console. It is a personal choice. If your game or platform can't stand on it's on an it has to hide behind things like offering discounts through things like exclusivity then I don't need either. I don't care about the reasons why a dev goes that route either, as a customer I just will not support it.

there is a nice reason for calling pc the master race, wanting or not a PC can emulate any console, and most of time what push people to do so is the exclusives, even breath of the wild is emulated on pc now so, the PC having a exclusive on a store, is kinda strange, and stupid, if people are emulating a console on pc, why the hell you belive a pc game will not be easy to bypass such hassle?
    EricDanie
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'll take the anti-Epic store people seriously when they rage against Steam for having thousands of exclusive games only on Steam. Until then, they are a joke just mad their monopoly has a small competitor trying to break it. Nevermind the fact they make false claims of certain games being exclusive when they are on multiple PC game distributors, but just not on Steam temporarily (like Outer Worlds).
    elveonealkarionlogcheebaChicharGamerGinazFolmenMaddog666mbrodieinfomatzKyleranand 2 others.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited August 2019

elveone said:

Palebane said:

Businesses are free to distribute their games how they please. It seems counter productive not to sell to as many people as possible, but I’m no CEO. There have been man games that I missed out on because of exclusivity, but I have a big enough library and backlog to ever go without.

Well, the thing is that just because you are on a platform does not mean that you are selling it to everyone on that platform. There are big games that will sell no matter the platform despite the vocal backlash. And there are smaller games that really benefit from the guaranteed sales and even from the visibility that the EGS is giving them as there are very few games there and releases happen rarely. Basically every game released on EGS is seen by anyone who bothers to open up the store and look through the news section and that unfortunately does not go the same way for steam where there are multiple releases every day, most of them being complete trash which makes users less likely to look through those new releases.

Thats true. I have never even tried RDR because if this. I’ve forgone games because of the publisher or a hundred other reasons, but never just because of the launcher. I have, however, neglected to even consider a few games because they are on a launcher that I dont have. Metro is good example. Outer Worlds is another. It looks cool but I probably wont even read reviews until its on steam. Not because I hate Epic, but because I have enough to play and buy to last a lifetime already. Its just one extra step that seems unnnecessary at this point so I’ve developed a “their loss” attitude for now. Also, once those games are on Steam or whatever, there will be other new releases etc for them to contend with.
    ChicharGamerMaddog666

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Iselin said:

From a games consumer perspective, PC digital storefront exclusivity is at most a minor annoyance of having to install yet another launcher

Hmm, I've yet to download the Epic Launcher, but is that all I really have to do?

Or do I also need to create a new account, create new user IDs, passwords, forum accounts, social media links, and set up a credit card to bill to?

If it just is downloading a new launcher, great, but I suspect that is not the case.

;)
    elveonecheebaChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666EricDanieNordicApachePhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

From a games consumer perspective, PC digital storefront exclusivity is at most a minor annoyance of having to install yet another launcher

Hmm, I've yet to download the Epic Launcher, but is that all I really have to do?

Or do I also need to create a new account, create new user IDs, passwords, forum accounts, social media links, and set up a credit card to bill to?

If it just is downloading a new launcher, great, but I suspect that is not the case.

;)
    Sometimes we actually have to walk to the corner grocery store when we run out of milk. I know, life can be tough :)
    elveonecheebaFolmenMaddog666infomatzTacticalZombehPhry

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited August 2019
    Siysrril said:

Aeander said:

Alverant said:

Iselin said:

No. No there isn't. Valve had a responsibility to its customers, and they were fined for their data breach accordingly.

Also, just to demonstrate how selectively biased the Steam crusaders are, the fact that Valve is the one who left their user data unencrypted for Epic to allegedly mine was completely overlooked, sunshine.
    elveonecheebaMaddog666mbrodieElquin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited August 2019
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

;)
    Sometimes we actually have to walk to the corner grocery store when we run out of milk. I know, life can be tough :)
    Nonsense,  just place an online order with Publix and have it delivered. 

What is this "walking" thing you speak of?

:)

IselinfoppoteeelveoneChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666infomatzEricDaniePhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

;)
    Nonsense,  just place an online order with Publix and have it delivered. 

What is this "walking" thing you speak of?

But the hassle of setting up an account with Publix (whatever that is)... I rather walk :)
    PalebanefoppoteeelveoneChicharGamerFolmenMaddog666

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I did miss it, but I'm not surprised it was a thing.  =)

Actually, I'm a business owner and while I don't get to write about it very often, the BUSINESS of video games is fascinating to me.  You guys get to read the interviews and impressions where I talk to devs about games, but what you don't often see are all the awesome conversations over lunch or coffee that I get to have with the CFOs, VCs, and other financial guys about the actual business of making and running games.  Just not enough people find it interesting enough to write about.

So when something like this comes along and I get to throw my hat in the ring to talk about economic aspects of the industry?   I'll take it! lol
    What does that have to do with missing out on the civil war and re-stoking the fire while we're still recovering from the wounds of battle? :D

The article was well written and formatted but didn't say anything different than the points everyone was smashing each other upside the head with already.

Hell, you're missing all the juicy conspiracy theory and the tit for tat. Have mercy.

P.S. Borderlands 3 officially comes out April 2020 and I can't wait. :D

Red_ThomasEricDanie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯