Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally, a game with a sense of danger.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I just hit level 70 in archery. In order to advance above 70 I'll have to push the limits a little more. My goal is to get to 80 of 100 to be useful to the guild.…Here's a few examples of predicament's I get myself into that happened yesterday and this morning:

Theirs a noob dungeon that’s in the safe zone called "Halls of Corruption" that I've been flirting with lately.  Don't get me wrong its very dangerous, but many go their to solo.  The game is zoning free but  dungeons are instanced and to everyone not just you.

This is important to know, that if you die or get chased out, the monster will camp and wait by your corps until you return in your underwear.  If you do happen to make it out they'll be waiting at the entrance….. This makes it extra scary !.... But it gets worst, deeper in the less chance you have of ever getting your stuff back.  What most do is wait for someone to draw them away or kill them.  At times you can piggy back naked behind someone….. Without a good chat system, people know what your doing and often help you back.

Yesterday I went in deep, deeper than I should have and I knew it.  But another player drew everything at me and ran the opposed direction and left me with a fierce battle that I lost. I didn't have much, a few hundred arrows, and extra bow and some herbs I've been collecting for magic reagents.  However I wanted my stuff back! 

So I called in the Calvary and two Guild members ran in and slaughtered everything as I watched naked and helpless and got my stuff.  I then stood in a safe corner killing higher level respawns.  Then low and behold another Guild member passed by and we grouped until I ran out of arrows then we hartstoned out……. THIS IS WHAT FUN IS !

This morning being strapped for cash to build a house before the Steam release.  I watched a Youtube on a Bandit camp where money can be made.  It's enclosed by walls so only one way in or out.  Now, Bandits are not very hard at this point, but if your not paying attention and get mobbed, they'll all camp you corps…And that’s what happened, and again I WANT MY STUFF BACK !... 

It's too early to call the Calvary, embarrassing anyway. I decided to hartstone back to town, hit the bank, buy all new stuff, re-bank the cash and GET MY STUFF BACK !  On the edge of my seat, I carefully chewed away deep in and hit the re-collect button… It's on a slow timer and felt like forever, but I achieved my goal and now have everything before re-spawns.  Maybe you had to be there, but this was a very sticky situation and a great personal accomplishment. 

It's 930am right now… Soon I'll come up with another stupid idea :)

Tara_WindwalkerOctagon7711PhryTokkencmorris975

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Sounds like a game with allot depth and community, something missing from most games these days.
    Maurgrim
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2019
    Ultimately I stopped playing. 
    The controls, UI and grind of everything you do wears you down. In playing with others tab targeting causes the player to target friendly players making fighting hard too.

The worst part as I mentioned several times is the chat with no /tell no one is communicating outside their guilds.  This makes the game semi-lonely.  They make the player rely on Discord Voice and that's bullcrap !

If they could fix these issues this could be a great game. These ARE the problems, the start to quit ratio is about equal....... Yet no one really talks about why, they just stop playing. 
    UngoodGdemamiPhryTokkenaustinmaw
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sounds like it was closer than most games to what you have been seeking, shame it didn't work out.

UngoodSovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    The controls, UI and grind of everything you do wears you down. In playing with others tab targeting causes the player to target friendly players making fighting hard too.

The worst part as I mentioned several times is the chat with no /tell no one is communicating outside their guilds.  This makes the game semi-lonely.  They make the player rely on Discord Voice and that's bullcrap !

If they could fix these issues this could be a great game. These ARE the problems, the start to quit ratio is about equal....... Yet no one really talks about why, they just stop playing. 
    I know this feel bro, same thing happened to me with BDO, great game, loads of fun, loved playing it. Hated everything about how the UI felt, to the point that it killed the game for me.
    KyleranTiller
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I really love the rpg systems of this game but it is missing key things I really need to enjoy a game.  I need some direction in the form of quests.  They don't have to be huge story quests.  Some generic mission generator like in AO works for me too.  Also, crafting.  I have no desire to craft in any crafting system more complicated than WoW's.  I don't mind gathering mats and trading them or selling them so I can easily get crafted gear.  But this means there has to be a decent and easy to use global AH.  

I already bought this game because I support the development of games with adult rpg systems.  But like with UO and what people call "pvp" games - the lack of guiding content and directionless grind gameplay focused on just grinding and crafting does not appeal to me.  

What I am hoping for is the "shards" part of this to fix this.  I am hoping some of the people that created NWN 1/2 PSWs use this game to do the same.  In which case they will ensure their servers have mainly the type of content I want for the most part I hope.  
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Odd i got a Founder pack for LOA and played every build and at launch , and one of the main things missing for me was a sense of danger , its a very shallow game also ...

Back to UO i went , dont be fooled by imitations if you want a UO experience there is one place to get it ...

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The controls, UI and grind of everything you do wears you down.
    Omg! You made 1,000 posts about how you wanted old school games with slow advancement. You made 1,000 more posts extolling the virtues of this game specifically as a "true mmorog." And then you quit because of (in part) a "grind." This is just like when you quit Project 1999 at level 6. Dude, there is no pleasing you because you do not want what you claim you want
    SovrathUngoodKyleran[Deleted User]dragonlee66[Deleted User]cheyanePhryTokken

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:
    Omg! You made 1,000 posts about how you wanted old school games with slow advancement. You made 1,000 more posts extolling the virtues of this game specifically as a "true mmorog." And then you quit because of (in part) a "grind." This is just like when you quit Project 1999 at level 6. Dude, there is no pleasing you because you do not want what you claim you want
    It's a good point, old school games were all about clunky controls, awkward UI, and crap tons of grinding, hours on end.

Yet we played them regardless, partly because we didn't know better not having anything much to compare them against.

After returning to several well implemented DAOC free shards, both old school and one updated with the more modern gamer in mind, I can say I'm not interested in returning to those days.

Perhaps I know better now...

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Phrycheeba

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited May 2019
    Kyleran said:
    "It's a good point, old school games were all about clunky controls, awkward UI, and crap tons of grinding, hours on end.

Yet we played them regardless, partly because we didn't know better not having anything much to compare them against.

After returning to several well implemented DAOC free shards, both old school and one updated with the more modern gamer in mind, I can say I'm not interested in returning to those days.

Perhaps I know better now..."

If someone, such as you, doesn't like the old school games (or some aspects of them), that is totally fine. Everyone has the right to like and dislike whatever they wish. 

But you are up front about what you want. You are consistent. You don't contradict yourself. You usually make sense. And you don't spam the forums saying you want "x" and then quit and complain when you play a game that has "x."

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    It's a good point, old school games were all about clunky controls, awkward UI, and crap tons of grinding, hours on end.

and this is what concerns me about games like Pantheon....I just don't think alot of us want to really go back to playing that way again.
    KyleranTokken
  • cochscochs Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Players don't really know what they want, no more then game developers know what will make for a great game until they actually hit on what works in development.  

Games are just so complex with so many moving parts that until you actually play it, you don't know.  Same basic reason why for developers until they develop it they don't know.  

If you could accurately describe a game that you would like playing, and always be right about it.  Then conversely developers would almost always make hit games.
    obiiSovrath
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's why I'm not crazy about vanilla WoW, I remember those days, had my fair share of fun and adventure, and have little desire to return.  I've grown really picky over the years and pretty much know what I like and don't like.  The problem comes with games that have 61 things I like about it and 58 things I don't like about it.  I'll probably play it but will bitch a lot about the game while playing.
    [Deleted User]KyleranTokken

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited May 2019
    and this is what concerns me about games like Pantheon....I just don't think alot of us want to really go back to playing that way again.
    I think you'd find your concerns about Pantheon are unnecessary. Maybe misinformed?

They're creating an old-school style game experience. That doesn't mean "old-school style controls and clunky UI".

They've actually addressed that very thing a number of times.

By old-school, they mean...
    - more reliance on groups and social interaction
    - more focus on the journey/adventure, less on racing to end-game.
    - less hand-holding, more emphasis on player initiative, etc
    - more challenging and dangerous world where you have to pay attention
    - game systems with more depth, requiring more thought and planning
    - more paying attention to quest details, rather than just chasing ! and ? around the map.

and so forth.

Those aspects of the game genre were intentional. Clunky UI and controls weren't.

Clunky controls and UI were "part of the experience" only because back then those things weren't as well ironed-out and established yet. The genre was still new, people were still learning.
    GdemamiTokken
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    edited May 2019
    So you finaly lost your mind Delete hahaha
    Playing something like that game can only show you need help.

No offence GG
    I hope we soon find a game to call "Home"

In my head im about to install GW 2 for the 50 th time
    But my hands wont coop with me hahaha

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Scorchien said:
    Odd i got a Founder pack for LOA and played every build and at launch , and one of the main things missing for me was a sense of danger , its a very shallow game also ...

Back to UO i went , dont be fooled by imitations if you want a UO experience there is one place to get it ...

I loved UO, I left to play EQ, but a big factor was the game was rubber banding real bad after the land doubled and such.  I have gone back to play the newer UO (I still like playing the 2d), if it is still like that, been a bit), but I am not a huge fan of the new skill sets, and direction.  I was thinking of trying Aria, or EQ2 (skipped it pretty much, played a couple days).  Playing Archeage right now, but most the people I played with have left, and I have no interest in all the warfare/alliance/pvp drama anymore.  I can predict who is going to betray who, pretty much when it will happen, and why.  So I can't even get myself to care anymore...that and the pvp pretty much sucks imo, you get too much crowd control and burst dmg in the recent builds has gotten a little crazy.   Really looking forward to Pantheon, but it is going to be a pretty long wait on it. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:

I don't think people want to play Pantheon for clunky controls and awkward UI. I enjoy "grinding" as I just consider that "doing" and "game play." I suspect others do as well. 

People want to play Pantheon for its game design. They want to be able to "do" and for many they want it so that whatever one needs to do has some level of player interaction.

I have to say, for Legends of Aria, it was a breath of fresh air last night, wandering around, exploring, suddenly seeing another player in trouble (haven't seen that in a long time) and actually helping them out on the spot. Breath of fresh air.

And, if people have to put up with clunky controls and awkard UI then they might just do that. Hopefuly there won't be any of that in Pantheon. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

I agree to a point.  I wish they would do something about chat and make it a more social game outside of guilds.  

But remember, it's early access still and maybe they will see the light and change some of the things you care about,  I think many people care about those things as well.  (am I in trouble for saying early access?)

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Made the game sound so exciting,  but its a Delete post... . . .

Tokken
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Gee, it's almost like all of this clamoring for old school and waxing poetic about a time that will never return never works out.....