Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ducal picks delayed by one week

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    DerryFH said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Here are the latest funding numbers:

Monthly income - lifetime average  $133,011
    Monthly income - current average   $26,736

Date               Total               Daily ave for month       Daily ave since 15-Aug-17
    28-Mar-19     $5,755,476             $3,662                                 $4,534
    30-Apr-19     $6,111,616             $10,792                                $4,866
    30-May-19     $6,199,106             $2,916                                 $4,776
    03-Jun-19       $6,225,343             $772                                    $4,578
    31-Jul-19       $6,250,296             $891                                    $4,434

Cash flow has cratered the last two months, definitely below the level to sustain current staff numbers. Clearly concrete progress will have to be shown very soon.
    Anyone but me like REALLY impressed they can generate income and revenue without a actual product?

All things said and done, that's really the most impressive thing about this game.
    I agree, I mean SC isn't quite so hard to figure in that backers can log in and experience what has been accomplished so far, same with CU and CF.

But to run for almost 3 years with no backer playable content available yet and the money still rolls in is pretty remarkable.
    This we agree on.

I am starting to think that Caspian wasted his talents in game design when he really could have had an amazing life working in marketing.
    I bet he could get rich if he revived the trend of TV preachers.
    As I understand it, he is like 2 years (?) late on this project, and people are still giving him money.. and by the looks of things.. a lot of money.

Caspian is like a modern day P.T. Barnum of the gaming world.

AmatheGdemami
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Ungood said:
    DerryFH said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Here are the latest funding numbers:

Monthly income - lifetime average  $133,011
    Monthly income - current average   $26,736

Date               Total               Daily ave for month       Daily ave since 15-Aug-17
    28-Mar-19     $5,755,476             $3,662                                 $4,534
    30-Apr-19     $6,111,616             $10,792                                $4,866
    30-May-19     $6,199,106             $2,916                                 $4,776
    03-Jun-19       $6,225,343             $772                                    $4,578
    31-Jul-19       $6,250,296             $891                                    $4,434

Cash flow has cratered the last two months, definitely below the level to sustain current staff numbers. Clearly concrete progress will have to be shown very soon.
    Anyone but me like REALLY impressed they can generate income and revenue without a actual product?

All things said and done, that's really the most impressive thing about this game.
    I agree, I mean SC isn't quite so hard to figure in that backers can log in and experience what has been accomplished so far, same with CU and CF.

But to run for almost 3 years with no backer playable content available yet and the money still rolls in is pretty remarkable.
    This we agree on.

I am starting to think that Caspian wasted his talents in game design when he really could have had an amazing life working in marketing.
    I bet he could get rich if he revived the trend of TV preachers.
    As I understand it, he is like 2 years (?) late on this project, and people are still giving him money.. and by the looks of things.. a lot of money.

I'd give the title to Chris Robert's, but its true,  Caspian probably has collected the most money while missing on literally every promised deliverable.
    Ungood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ungood said:

This Way to the Egress.
    Ungood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Vrika said:
    Mendel said:
    Software development went to the "Good Enough" model in the 80s or 90s.  SBS seems to be trying to pursue a "Perfectionist" agenda as they work on this project.  They seem to be unwilling to accept anything but a perfect version of what they envision, thus the constant delays and near infinite re-work.  Nothing is ever ready, because it isn't perfect.  Perfectionism is a commendable target to a degree, but SBS needs a solid dose of "good enough" in order to get through the malaise this project is in.  Ultimately, their own perfectionist vision is hurting them.  To finish any project requires a compromise.

This isn't about perfectionism. If this were about perfectionism, they'd have shown us working maps on May and then kept us waiting while they add improvements and finishing touches.

They've got far larger problems than just that of trying to do too good job.
    I agree.  SBS has far larger problems.

However, they appear to be trying for some degree of "perfect implementation" at every step.  This map system is only for their customers to select new plots to buy.  It has almost nothing to do with the actual game.  But they've taken over 3 months (since this thread started and probably longer) to try to get this map in place.  Really, could a simple grid overlaying an art map have allowed customers to mark what they wanted to buy without so much work (and drama)?  I think so.  So much effort for something that will be used once and discarded.  How many times have these maps already been regenerated?

It was suggested quite some time ago in other thread that having multiple distinct worlds was only going to cause SBS additional work along the way.  Well, it did.  This whole map business appears to have been complicated by their stubbornness to stick to an impractical idea instead of making the necessary compromise.  That's on management.

Gdemamikenguru23

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Do we know the real identity of the devs? Honest question. We are sure it isn't just one person under different discord names pretending to be multiple devs?
    Gdemami
  • kenguru23kenguru23 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    SlyLoK said:
    Do we know the real identity of the devs? Honest question. We are sure it isn't just one person under different discord names pretending to be multiple devs?
    I'm pretty sure it's multiple people just pretending to be devs
    SpottyGekkoKyleranSlyLoK
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    kenguru23 said:
    SlyLoK said:
    I'm pretty sure it's multiple people just pretending to be devs
    the team and devs are fine actually, it's Caspian who needs to be fired, he is the worst CEO there is in my opinion for a project like this. By the way, the reason this project will shut down in the next 1 to 1.5 years is because the funding has run out, they have a team of 20 people and like 1 million dollars, for a project that probably needs 30-100M in cash...sure the reverse auction will bring in a few million dollars but I doubt they will be able to release anything more than a tech demo where you can run around in a small area. Caspian has made this game 0% chance of ever coming out.
    Gdemami
    Not that anyone is permitted to say, but looks as if another cohort group has been granted map access.

Also, someone noted all of the counts have suddenly vanished from the Discord.
    [Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Cohorts... hahah.  That is soooo Caspien. 
    [Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Not that anyone is permitted to say, but looks as if another cohort group has been granted map access.

Also, someone noted all of the counts have suddenly vanished from the Discord.
    The only count that matters is Count de Monet.  B)

Slapshot1188[Deleted User]SpottyGekkoDerryFHKumaponkenguru23

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    And in goes Alpha 1 backers, via the DSS update thread:

"D&SS update: Today the Alpha 1 cohort (group) has been added to the testers and are looking at release candidate 7 (RC7). However, as the test is still under NDA, it cannot be discussed in public."
  • DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    I wonder if Caspian thinks of himself as a Roman Emperor, throwing orders to cohorts here and there.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    DerryFH said:
    I wonder if Caspian thinks of himself as a Roman Emperor, throwing orders to cohorts here and there.
    Certainly he is as popular as a roman emperor. Reading this thread was clinic in how to keep people's attention.
    [Deleted User]
    DerryFH said:
    Certainly he is as popular as a roman emperor. Reading this thread was clinic in how to keep people's attention.
    Well, popular in the same way as Nero was perhaps.  ;)

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Kyleran said:
    DerryFH said:
    No, nothing like Nero. Wiki Nero at the very least.
    Kyleran said:
    DerryFH said:
    No, nothing like Nero. Wiki Nero at the very least.
    Err, I well know about Nero, my point still stands.

Here's a quote I looked up for your benefit though, recommend the History Channel page over Wikipedia.

"In the centuries followed his reign, the name Nero would become a byword for debauchery, misrule and anti-Christian persecution."

Substitute gamers for Christian above, and Caspian for Nero and it's about right.
    Gdemami

Torrsk said:

"D&SS update: Today the Alpha 1 cohort (group) has been added to the testers and are looking at release candidate 7 (RC7). However, as the test is still under NDA, it cannot be discussed in public."
    Maps are under NDA.  Maps that were supposed to have been ready when DSS started 3 months ago...
    Under NDA...  What possible reason can there be to have maps under NDA... for like a day or 2?  

Cohorts and NDA maps... just wait for the game.  That’s gonna be fun.
    Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Torval said:
    Torrsk said:

Maps are under NDA.  Maps that were supposed to have been ready when DSS started 3 months ago...
    Under NDA...  What possible reason can there be to have maps under NDA... for like a day or 2?  

Could you clarify for me, if the "maps" are under NDA then what were those pixel things he posted? Or, if he posted maps, then how can they be under NDA?
    The devs can release their own maps whenever they wish to. They just use NDA on others so that no material can be posted unless they post it first.

Torval said:
    Torrsk said:

Could you clarify for me, if the "maps" are under NDA then what were those pixel things he posted? Or, if he posted maps, then how can they be under NDA?
    Asking me to clarify Caspien’s though process is asking for something far beyond my ability.  Perhaps it’s something he has listed on a Gantt chart.
    [Deleted User]

DerryFH said:
    Meh.. I've seen McDonalds Managers think they were Roman emperors with how badly they treat their staff.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Torval said:
    ...such a gem.
    alkarionlog
    Torval said:
    Torrsk said:

I am not saying this is the reason.. I am saying this would be a reason for a game company to do this, for a game like CoE.

The map you see is a blanket top map, with little to no details or information.

Whereas, the NDA maps are topographical (showing elevation), as well as important things to a "realistic resource battle game" like climate (very important for crop growing), ore, rivers and bodies of water, the local flora (trees and other harvestable items) and fauna (both docil and aggressive).

This would give those players the ability to set up their land and the like, to provide the best opportunities for growth. 

If this game was going to be realistic as they try to make it off to be, the first pick players would be able to take the most ideal conditions for themselves, and leave the last pick players to live in more inhospitable climates with less desirable resources.

With the idea that the NDA will stop players from using this early pick info to set up plans with their Friends/Allies down the line to pick other specific spots to maximize their advantage as well. 
    tweedledumb99

• DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Torval said:
    Torrsk said:

Because of NDA I cannot confirm or deny that maps are under test now nor that they look different or similar to what was posted.
    UngoodGdemami[Deleted User]
    Today's As the World of Elyria Turns Update (episode 653):
    Note no Caspien updates anymore because he once again failed... and the bold is done by me.

Snipehunter ?Today at 9:32 PM

Actually, jokes aside while kicking off the build earlier, we found a couple of bugs in one of our tools, so we took some time to fix them. They were minor, but since we were generating new worlds anyway we wanted to fix them because they would make a few settlement focii and professions show up that weren't before (even though we'd meant them to), so we decided to fix those bugs. That pushed us back a bit and, given the time, we've decided we'd deploy in the morning. Which is a thing I should mention in that there forum someone mentioned, now that it's occurred to me.

Serpentius?Today at 9:40 PM

D&SS Update: Based on all of the feedback we received, we're building Release Candidate 8 (RC8). We will release it to our testing cohort sometime tomorrow if our validation completes without major issues. As always details related to the maps being tested is under NDA until publicly released by us.
    KyleranAnOldFart

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Why is there no facepalm emoji?