Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Security Flaws Discovered In Nvidia Drivers - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSecurity Flaws Discovered In Nvidia Drivers - MMORPG.com News

If you have an Nvidia graphics card running any drivers older than 431.60, you should immediately update due to a security flaws.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    For anyone that doesn't know 431.60 was released on July 23, which is the most recent update

Sovrathfoppoteebartoni33HatefullinfomatzwingoodPhry[Deleted User]jgDuffay
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• stego160stego160 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    If you value security over your current FPS in games, then be my guest.
    Viper482wonkerz
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Thanks for the update & info..
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    stego160 said:

[Deleted User]ScotcheebaskakrukPanzerbeorne39bartoni33infomatzwingoodstego160GladDogand 3 others.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119

stego160 said:

This doesnt make sense
    WhiskeydustHatefullinfomatzGladDogRellz
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

stego160 said:

Pigeons have both two legs and two wings, wings are only for flying.
    Panzerbeorne39HatefullinfomatzGladDog
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

stego160 said:

You didn't know that hackers are using the opportunity of these exploits to make Nvidia cards run faster? :)
    xxBoneZxxPhry
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

stego160 said:

I think what they are saying is that for some people this driver has caused FPS issues in some games. Happens with EVERY driver release.
    Hatefull

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    stego160 said:
    I have not noticed a decrease in frames in PS2. I would value security over frames any day of the week though.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    aw nvidia is the one having driver issues now? how does it feel?
    bartoni33jgDuffay

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

What driver issues? They identified some flaws before they turned into an issue and patched them out. The total impact to an NVidia user was...they had to update their drivers.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ElonMuskElonMusk Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Your real, actual, birth name, is Poorna Shankar?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    ElonMusk said:
    We had this one before mate, it was "hilarious" back then too. Well maybe if you are still at school.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The reason why i stopped using AMD GPU's, if Nvidia is going to start having the same issues then going to need a third alternative!  :o
  • metarealmetareal Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Is the "clean" removal necessary? (I've updated through the Nvidia Geforce Experience app as usual)
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I always do a clean install. It is an option in the driver itself so relatively painless process.
    bartoni33
    Chamber of Chains
  • stego160stego160 Member UncommonPosts: 23

stego160 said:

I know, it's hard to compered ;)
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    ElonMusk said:
    Wait... YOUR real name is ELON MUSK!? :D :D :#
    ScotPhryQuizzical[Deleted User]

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    metareal said:
    Is the "clean" removal necessary? (I've updated through the Nvidia Geforce Experience app as usual)
    I learned a long time ago to always do a clean install of nvidia drivers when updating them. there is even a program out there that 'cleans' your pc of anything it misses if you are doubtful of its efficacy, or like me, a bit paranoid. :p
  • SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited August 2019
    What they failed to mention is that hackers have to have direct physical access to your computer to use this exploit.
    edited August 2019
    Phry said:
    The reason why i stopped using AMD GPU's, if Nvidia is going to start having the same issues then going to need a third alternative!  :o
    i have a 970 and find it funny that i've had more driver issues with it than i ever had with AMD. My comment was meant as a joke but i do find it ironic.

I do agree we need more competition, and i don't mean just Intel, at least a fourth company.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Torval said:
    Every one of these events is another strong argument for Free and Open Source Software.
    Because open source software never has to fix security flaws?

To me it looks like a strong argument for doing as NVidia is doing, because there are no reports that anyone would have attacked any of these flaws.

edited August 2019
    Vrika said:
    Torval said:
    Every one of these events is another strong argument for Free and Open Source Software.

To me it looks like a strong argument for doing as NVidia is doing, because there are no reports that anyone would have attacked any of these flaws.
    It's not that FOSS never has to fix security flaws, it's that every time we see reports of security flaws, especially when user data is compromised it's always from proprietary products and services.

These companies are too busy milking customers to worry about security. The FOSS community is always working with security in mind because they are users themselves.

My thoughts.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Vrika said:
    Torval said:

It's not that FOSS never has to fix security flaws, it's that every time we see reports of security flaws, especially when user data is compromised it's always from proprietary products and services.

These companies are too busy milking customers to worry about security. The FOSS community is always working with security in mind because they are users themselves.

My thoughts.

My thought is that open source software just isn't important enough or relevant enough to make it to MMORPG.com news.

Just yesterday we had news about unpatched vulnerability on KDE. People don't hear about them because Linux problems aren't important enough news
      https://www.zdnet.com/article/unpatched-kde-vulnerability-disclosed-on-twitter/

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    stego160 said:
    Yes, the crypto-miner running on your hacked machine would like you to have lots of super-duper high FPS, don't update under any circumstances!