Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon is a wasted opportunity, it'll end up like Vanguard, VR would ave been the better way to go

2»

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    tixylix said:
    DMKano said:
    So you make a niche game and then make it even more niche by going the VR route?

Umm - you do realize that they want to have as many players as possible? The goal is not to reduce the playerbase to as few as possible.

Amount is such and old school way of thinking, it's not about units sold anymore, it's about revenue. If you have 2000 people playing, but you're making money because they're spending, what does it matter other than ego? 
    @DMKano knows this.

A % of the playerbase will be lost every month. If you are still making money then OK but you will lose more next month - and the month after. So you need to sell "units" for which a clear sales strategy is needed - and a part of that is not cutting your own throat.  
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2019
    I'll buy into VR when I can walk into a room and the entire room is VR !!
    And it better be perfect or i'm still out.

For now it's just a gimmick that straps to your head.

Sounds like the OP just bought a $400 toy and is trying to find a place on the Internet to talk about it..... Somehow he found the Pantheon forums to do it..... I can prove it..... Thats why the topic doesn't fit the content of his post, he is trying to fit it in some how.

It will end up like Vanguard,because it's not VR ?
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2019
    Since the topic is "new toy" : 

I just bought a new ball at Dick's sporting goods.  Today I'll teach my 4 year old granddaughter how to play Kickball.

So Pantheon will fail like Vanguard did because their is no Kickball in it !!!
    ConstantineMerusScot[Deleted User]
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Fun fact: if all you have as an argument for a feature that "its modern", then you dont have any argument at all.

VR is a completely different interface. If you want to make a game for VR, you have to design the game around it.

I dont think MMOs are that great for VR, especially not classic fantasy MMORPGs like EverQuest, Vanguard, and Pantheon. These arent pitch focused games, instead they compensate for gamer network lag the global cooldown etc.

While VR is very much, by design, for pitch focused gaming.

Personally I find VR a very uncomfortable interface. You have to stand, you have to move, etc. I'm not interested in this kind of gaming at all. Just like I'm not interested in pitch focused gaming.

Vanguard, by the way, was highly hardware demanding at release. One really cant say it wasnt technically behind at release. If thats your only criterion, then Vanguard should have been a huge success.

Also, WoW would have bombed big time, because its hardware requirements have been very low.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited May 2019
    These arent pitch focused games, instead they compensate for gamer network lag the global cooldown etc.

Ive never heard of that term.  Tried to google "pitch focused games" and not finding.  What is it you mean by it?
    Post edited by svann on
    Ooops.

I meant twitch.

Sorry.

Its a game in which you need fast reflexes.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Thank goodness it isn't, or I wouldn't be eager to play it.  I guess here is cheering for the DoA game!
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I think what he is saying is that it needs something, but I don't think VR is what it needs..... The game is kind alackluster and boring looking at this point.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Thanks OP, I really needed a laugh today.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I dont want to wear a headset to play a game. If that is the future of MMOs count me out. 

hallucigenocide
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    OP just bought his first cheap VR headset.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    tixylix said:
    My point was, the game is trying to recapture the glory days.... it won’t happen with this game as it’s not why you liked those old MMOs. You liked the old MMOs because they were ground breaking, you felt immersed in an experience you never had before. 

I think VR is the only thing other than being the next Blizzard MMO, it’s the only thing that can offer how you first felt in EQ. 

No no one is making a VR MMO, now it has to have the budget and scale... but the next EQ or WoW will be a full, proper MMO in VR. 

What I’m not saying is add VR to this game, I think this game is DOA because it’s making the same mistakes we’ve had from everyone else who tried to make an MMO since 2005.... including Vanguard.
    So I think what you're saying is that in order for ANY MMO to really make a splash in todays market it has to support VR.  You just happened to post this thought into the Patheon forums.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited August 2019
    Eureka! What Pantheon needs is VR with RAY TRACING. Success guaranteed .......
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Iselin[Deleted User]laserit
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Lets try and get the aspects of an MMORPG correct first before we worry about adding nausea to the mix.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited August 2019
    Arterius said:
    VR and MMO's are leagues away from each other. I know lots of people I can't even play VR because it gives them motion sickness. A MMO like Pantheon will be a sub based game. Making it VR would have killed it as the sub numbers wouldn't be there. Plus the computer needed to play a VR game is expensive, right?
    You're right that VR will just never work for some of the most sensitive people, but alot of the motion sickness for most people is the crap movement systems many games are still using, usually the ones that you move with the controller thumbstick or  touchpad.  Those bother me after a fairly short while.

There are movement systems though in a very few specific games that feel MUCH more natural and I've had no issues at all running, and/or flying around at high speeds for extended periods.  Check out sprint vector for one, and better yet a game called battlesky vr.  Battlesky last time I played at least has very limited content and fair bit of bugs but the movement in it is amazing and could easily be adapted to moving around on the ground rather than flying around like ironman with jets in your hands

The difference is that you use more of a full arm or arms motion to move rather than the thumbstick/pad which feels so much more jumpy.  It's a more extreme difference than say playing a flight sim with a xbox contrller vs a good joystick...  Best I can figure is the added range of motion is much more precise and smooth and just lets your brain know whats coming.  Like sitting in the back seat of a car on a windy road trip vs sitting up front or better yet driving yourself.
    edited August 2019
    DMKano said:
    So you make a niche game and then make it even more niche by going the VR route?

Umm - you do realize that they want to have as many players as possible? The goal is not to reduce the playerbase to as few as possible.

I'm not sure why it has to be one or the other, especially in a non-pvp mmo.  It's a matter of building 2 interfaces is all, but the VR one better be good not just tacked on.

If the world was truly interactive the non vr people may be at a bit of a disadvantage but maybe not, and again Pantheon at least is not a PVP game where the differences might matter one way or the other.  VR needs a truly good game made for it rather than the gimicky little minigames it mostly has now.  Without good AAA games or at least very good full scale indie games, VR will probably never really break out.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Considering the retro appeal Pantheon is going for, VR would only be acceptable in it if it's done with a steam-powered, brass diving helmet.
    KyleranSovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

VR will never be good enough to overtake all of gaming. AR will be closer. When you can sit down and wear a small pair of glasses and your entire room or house is filled with your environment, completely immersion you into the world that's when it will be good enough to overtake regular gaming. Think the holo room in Star Trek.
    I think you're confused on what AR is.  Star Trek Holodeck would very much still be considered VR because you don't see the room.  AR is when you still see the room but things, usually just few specific things are superimposed over top of the room and following the geometry of the room and real objects in it.  If you used "AR" to totally mask the room like holodeck, its not really "AR" anymore.  AR means augmented reality, not completely replaced reality :P 
  • TreysarTreysar Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The OP trolled you all good I see. Let haters Hate and leave them alone If you know what you want play it and if you don't like it dont play it. This is all that matters ignore stupidity as displayed by the OP.
    Adamantine
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The OP is wrong - obviously the missed opportunity for Pantheon was not making it a trading card game only.  Or maybe they should of made it a cosplay CrossFit workout video.  Making a video game a video game was a very bad call.
    Xarko
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I expect someday there will be virtual reality MMORPGs, when the technology is up to the task. That isn't now.
  • G3NexiG3Nexi Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Someone watched Ready Player One for the first time apparently... Spoiler Alert, VR in an MMO would be nothing like that.

I expect someday there will be virtual reality MMORPGs, when the technology is up to the task. That isn't now.
    Oh, I'm certain one could make a VR MMO even right now. The technology is there, and has been for some time.

The only problem I see is that such a VR MMO would need a LOT of work, after all you have to create a true 3D world that has sufficient size for a MMO.

I cannot see how that could be done in a way that even pays the investment, let alone archieves a profit.