Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Activision’s Late Addition of Microtransactions in Crash Team Racing is a Total Disappointm

13»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:
    D3 had its financial model kicked to the curb when the RMAH fell through. The reason it has received a pathetic amount of new content over the last 6 1/2 years is exactly because of that. Blizz has a skeleton crew on it and throws its fans a bone financed with their other products. From a financial point of view D3 was a disaster and definitely not as planned by Blizzard.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah, I remember that. If I recall correctly that abandonment was seen as somewhat of a victory by players at the time. That ongoing revenue is required for ongoing content wasn't factored into that jubilation I suppose. I wonder what D3 could have been if things went according to plan.
    stating d3 was ever good to begin with

lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:
    lahnmir said:
    Iselin said:

Iselin said:

Scellow said:

> I paid my money for the game and that would be the end of it — I could earn my cosmetic upgrades/changes through time spent in-game, and not by opening my wallet.

And who pay for the servers ? support ? content update ?

Microtransactions, as long as they stick to cosmetics is more than OK

Yeah because without MTs Activision/Blizzard, EA, Rockstar, Bethesda etc. would need to turn off the servers or risk having all the developers be homeless.

With the obscene profits made in gaming I can't believe people still regurgitate this horseshit excuse.

Get it through your head: MTs are not NEEDED to keep the lights on in games that are not free to play. They are extra profit and nothing else.

You speak as though it is only companies such as these that have micro-transactions. For them, they are additional revenue. For others it is the bulk of or only source of revenue they have.

So, in many cases they are needed to cover ongoing costs, and pay for future game development.
    You must have missed the part where I said "that are not F2P" which is an obvious distinction since that is the only source of revenue for F2P games.

Buy to play games can factor ongoing costs and everything else into what they sell the game for just like they always did before B2P + optional sub + MTX became the new standard for online games. And no there is no fucking need for the MTX for any of those. It's a want not a need. And arguing that its a need on their behalf is stupid AF.
    No, stupid AF is expecting 60 dollar games that give you everything when costs to produce said game have risen a factor 15 over the last 20 years and sales only a factor 5. The ‘but they still make money’ nonsense just means people don’t understand ROI and every dollar invested today makes you LESS then what all those ‘good old days’ companies made back then. And weren’t they amazing and in it for the players?

Higher prices per game would make perfect sense, but like the Pavlovian monkeys that we are, we just learned that the new price of a product is a reasonable 0 dollars with all the F2P titles out there. We want companies to make less per dollar invested and else we get angry, we don’t want to pay more for something that has gotten exponentially more expensive and now needs other ways to generate aditional revenue. Poor us,  since we gamers are actual people and those companies just big evil entities its all good...

And don’t even get me started on how current dat titles have TONS more ongoing costs than those olde ones. Servers, patches, forums etc. etc. Every single game has them these days, and the ongoing costs that comes with them.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I'd love to see the proof for your factor of 15 cost and factor of 5 sales. Those look suspiciously like round numbers pulled out an ass.

GTA 5 made over $6 billion dollars as of 2018. What game exactly made $1.2 billion for your "factor of 5" 20 years ago?

And maybe you learned that a reasonable price is $0. I never did since I've always paid to play and kept away from all the F2P garbage. 

And in case you didn't know, Diablo 3 still uses the no MTX no sub model. It ain't just a "good ole days" thing.

So yeah. Not need but want. Claiming anything else IS dumb as fuck.
    D3 had its financial model kicked to the curb when the RMAH fell through. The reason it has received a pathetic amount of new content over the last 6 1/2 years is exactly because of that. Blizz has a skeleton crew on it and throws its fans a bone financed with their other products. From a financial point of view D3 was a disaster and definitely not as planned by Blizzard.

And GTAV? Its one of the most expensive games ever made, also one of the most popular. Its actually the most profitable game ever, thats called cherry picking. But lets run with GTAV as an average game nowadays. It cost 265 million dollars to make, know how much the average PS2 game cost to make? 
    7,5 million dollars. Go do the math, google those numbers and see if the source is my ass.

And companies dont ‘need’ to make more no,  exactly like I said. But for the same ROI they need to make more then they are doing with just a 60 dollar price tag. Its the most basic of economics, just not popular with gamers.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    you know they cut the shipping cost by even more nowadays, and testing costs, update costs, booklets gone, little extras gone, story booklet gone too

plus don't forget the whole you don't have cellphones? thing
    Inflation correction more then makes up for that, what cost 60 dollars in 2004 should now be 80.89 dollars. Also, how are they saving on update costs and testing costs? A source would be great since games get more updatea now then ever.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    And this is why I no longer buy games from Activision, or EA, or Bethesda... you simply can not trust them.
    Kyleran
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Micro-transactions??? No, no, no. They're Surprise Mechanics, as in "Surprise Motherfuckers!".

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

If you don't like them, don't buy them. Nothing stops you from earning that currency through game play just as you have been doing.

If they change the way the game is played to encourage people to buy them, then it becomes a problem.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.