Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think the gaming industry hates PC gamers and sees them as elitists and "entitled"?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Xiaoki said:
    Kyleran said:
    mbrodie said:
    oh my god here we go again.

it's incredible how sad Epic store makes this tiny minority of PC players, while the rest of us don't care and just buy from where we get the best deal...

I'd agree, except how is buying games from Epic the best deal for me, the consumer?

Seems like the prices are similar to those on Steam,  so if anyone is getting a deal it's really only those who make the game.

I've said it before, I don't care if content creators get a better deal, I only care about my convenience or savings.

So far Epic has only increased my inconvenience without really saving me any money, so I'll continue to ignore their service and any games they publish as well.

And what exactly has Epic done to inconvenience you? You cant buy their exclusive games on Steam?

Is that really it?

OH NO! Everything isnt on Steam?! How can this be? Now I have to juggle two, count 'em TWO, free game launchers!
    Two? Already have two, Steam and GOG, not interested in 3, 4, 5 etc.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited August 2019
    Quizzical said:
    Can you imagine if a developer made a real exclusive? Like, “Our game only runs on Nvidia GTX 1060 + cards”, or, “Our game only runs on Samsung monitors”. 
    I'd be fine with that if I could click a button to turn my Radeon card into a GeForce and back as easily as I can switch between Steam and other game stores.
    I would be fine if I could switch to another game store without having to create an account, download a new launcher, make a new email account, add my personal info & credit card number, come up with a unique user name,  create a new unique password in LastPass just to finally buy a game.

Nevermind dealing with the launcher regularly updating, figuring how to turn off unwanted marketing emails, notification alerts etc and having to worry about who they might give my data to, or worse, see it stolen by hackers. 

The overhead isn't worth it, especially considering there is no benefit to me personally, no savings, no extra features, no reason at all to go through it, except what, to "fight the man!" (Big, bad Steam)

Seriously, you know better ..

Oh yeah, it would take less time and trouble just to switch out the video card....but then again, I'm nvidia exclusive so probably would just skip if not available.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]MendelPalebane

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Can you imagine if a developer made a real exclusive? Like, “Our game only runs on Nvidia GTX 1060 + cards”, or, “Our game only runs on Samsung monitors”. 
    I'd be fine with that if I could click a button to turn my Radeon card into a GeForce and back as easily as I can switch between Steam and other game stores.
    I would be fine if I could switch to another game store without having to create an account, download a new launcher, make a new email account, add my personal info & credit card number, come up with a unique user name,  create a new unique password in LastPass just to finally buy a game.

Nevermind dealing with the launcher regularly updating, figuring how to turn off unwanted marketing emails, notification alerts etc and having to worry about who they might give my data to, or worse, see it stolen by hackers. 

The overhead isn't worth it, especially considering there is no benefit to me personally, no savings, no extra features, no reason at all to go through it, except what, to "fight the man!" (Big, bad Steam)

Oh yeah, it would take less time and trouble just to switch out the video card....but then again, I'm nvidia exclusive so probably would just skip if not available.

Lmao, you act like all those steps take longer than 5 minutes start to finish.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to go through all those steps for 90% of the MMO genre just to play each individual game?

You're blowing this way out of proportion.  

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Kyleran said:
    mbrodie said:
    oh my god here we go again.

it's incredible how sad Epic store makes this tiny minority of PC players, while the rest of us don't care and just buy from where we get the best deal...

I'd agree, except how is buying games from Epic the best deal for me, the consumer?

Seems like the prices are similar to those on Steam,  so if anyone is getting a deal it's really only those who make the game.

I've said it before, I don't care if content creators get a better deal, I only care about my convenience or savings.

So far Epic has only increased my inconvenience without really saving me any money, so I'll continue to ignore their service and any games they publish as well.

While to a degree i can agree with the points you have made... savings won't come overnight, it takes real market change to deliver savings to consumers.... So no, you're not going to see it today but as it stands i have about 15 games in my epic library that i have got for free, just for having it installed on my PC... thats 15 more games than i would have if i didn't have epic or if i refused to use anything except steam.

Epic just had a huge sale that ended where many titles were reduced in price and they have weekly deals etc...

who knows, if steam folds and ends up reducing their share to match and epic stops buying exclusives, maybe at some point games will become a few dollars cheaper for us, time will tell!!

At the end of the day, people should definitely do whats best for them... but complaining, review bombing / boycotting developers and publishers and all this other irrational behavior honestly just makes PC gamers look bad, it's not at any point going to stop a publisher from going to epic when the terms are much more attractive and the fact is games that signed exclusivity deals with Epic have reported that they have been impressed with the amount of sales they have received.

Also, the publishers deserve to make money, i'm sure if you invested 100m into a game over 6 years, at some point you'd wanna see it come back with a nice RoI... they aren't evil for wanting to make money.
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:

i'm gonna play the devils advocate here because why not...

"Discussion / The gaming industry hates PC gamers and sees them as elitists and "entitled""

and we wonder why....

it's alright Lord of the Launchers is coming GoG 2.0 will solve all the problems you have with running multiple launchers, read a bunch of feedback on it and it's getting great feedback, users have even developed plugins to stream to consoles from PC, stream television streaming services and all kinds of crazy things!!
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    AAAMEOW said:
    It's definitely better for the game developer.  They make more of the cut.

But chances are consumers won't get cheaper game just because it is on epic store.  Most likely those money just go back to developer.

I think most people are just upset they need to install 2 downloader.  They dont' care about the morality of the game war.
    What are you talking about? This is an MMORPG site. Almost every game we play has a separate launcher and account. One more doesn't mean anything.

The article linked at the end seems a little biased. unless there is proof that all West Coast game companies are communists. I kind of agree with the game devs XD

Maybe I'm odd, but I'm still waiting for companies to start using my data. None of them have been able to figure out I prefer my mail in English despite living in Japan, so I largely ignore their mail. What's even more dumbfounding is that I've told them I prefer English. But they have overruled my preference to look at my IP instead.
    All I've seen is recent searches popping up on the sides of some sites. I don't think I have ever seen something like that pop up and gone "hmm, that wasn't interesting what that came up in my search last week, but hey, I want it now!" Sometimes it works as a reminder to go back and find what I was actually searching for.
    That is a reaction to the article claiming people are against Epic because they are Owned by TenCent and heaven forbid they get our data! 
    [Deleted User]Vermillion_Raventhal
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited August 2019
    bcbully said:
    @Tiller

Hell of a reach man. I don’t see the correlation between your post and that article at all. 

[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I would probably go the cheaper route if I was a publisher. Why give up 30% of your profit when you don't have to? If people remember, Steam was a pile of crap when it was first released. I'll wait to see how the Epic store matures. 
    edited August 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    kartool said:
    I would probably go the cheaper route if I was a publisher. Why give up 30% of your profit when you don't have to? If people remember, Steam was a pile of crap when it was first released. I'll wait to see how the Epic store matures. 
    Well, 30% of nothing isn't more than 12% of A LOT. Taking the better deal on paper doesn't always equate to bigger profits.
    That said, Epic is paying these companies quite a lot of money in advance for the exclusive deal. So while I'm sure the 12% is a nice bonus, its hardly the real reason these game companies are signing on.

This is pretty well known, it's been spoken about my Epic and Publishers that Epic guarantees X amount of sales on their platform.

To that end if the title sells well on Epic, technically Epic isn't paying anything for the exclusivity deal, it's just an incentive program at that point.

I don't think their is anything wrong with incentivizing deals towards publishers... "hey we know we're new, the underdog and people have a lot of complaints about us not being steam, but we promise if you sign with us for 6 months you will make x amount of sales... if not, we will pay you the difference."

and from most of the publisher responses from being on Epic have been positive seems like most games have reached their sales targets and Epic probably isn't handing over that much cash to publishers after all, quite smart business if you ask me.

from the tweaktown article.. straight from the publishers mouth
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I'm an XB fanboy. PC is superior. Once I made the change over.. I never looked back. I don't even turn it on anymore.. I played it the most I've played it in years for RDR2 but as soon as that game get to PC its back to the dustbin for the Box. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Tiller said:
    bcbully said:
    @Tiller

Hell of a reach man. I don’t see the correlation between your post and that article at all. 

So some random indie developer dude, from a company I've never heard of, talks some shit and you are trying to spin that as the outlook of an entire industry? You are most definitely overreaching.

Yeah, I would rather not get lumped in with the likes of perplamps myself. Their rhetoric has been, in general, poorly considered.
    Phry
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I grew up on consoles, and when I was older and had more disposable income I owned multiple at once, so exclusivity doesn't bother me at all.

Once I made the switch to PC I realized almost immediately that PC's were superior in every way from performance to all of the free content by our wonderful modding community.

I've liked all the free games EGS has released so far and have added them all to my Epic Library. Just like I do with my Twitch library from my Prime membership, and the libraries I have on GoG, Origin, UPlay, etc...

IMO, consoles are adopting more PC traits/architecture, while PC's seem more like multiple consoles-in-one with all of these launchers coming out, with their exclusive deals. It all seems to be running & mixing together. 

The more options for me as a gamer the better, even though having to manage all of these launchers is an ass pain. I think I had 2 or 3 consoles at most, but with these PC launchers I have like 7 or 8+ to deal with.

First world problems though.

Gut Out!
    Scot

What, me worry?

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gutlard said:
    I grew up on consoles, and when I was older and had more disposable income I owned multiple at once, so exclusivity doesn't bother me at all.

Once I made the switch to PC I realized almost immediately that PC's were superior in every way from performance to all of the free content by our wonderful modding community.

I've liked all the free games EGS has released so far and have added them all to my Epic Library. Just like I do with my Twitch library from my Prime membership, and the libraries I have on GoG, Origin, UPlay, etc...

IMO, consoles are adopting more PC traits/architecture, while PC's seem more like multiple consoles-in-one with all of these launchers coming out, with their exclusive deals. It all seems to be running & mixing together. 

The more options for me as a gamer the better, even though having to manage all of these launchers is an ass pain. I think I had 2 or 3 consoles at most, but with these PC launchers I have like 7 or 8+ to deal with.

First world problems though.

Gut Out!
    Yeah, people complaining about having to click twice to play a videogame on their 1500$ pc is indeed a case of first world problems. I could also call it something else but that wouldn’t really be a nice thing to say so I won’t  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 54
    I wonder back in the 90's and 2000's what the brick and mortar took for a cut before Steam was born? Seeing they don't sell PC games new anymore...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Limnic said:
    Tiller said:
    bcbully said:
    @Tiller

So some random indie developer dude, from a company I've never heard of, talks some shit and you are trying to spin that as the outlook of an entire industry? You are most definitely overreaching.

Yeah, I would rather not get lumped in with the likes of perplamps myself. Their rhetoric has been, in general, poorly considered.
    Having listened to some of the discussions about Perplamps behaviour, poorly considered is a very understated description, not a good thing to start off a discussion with a direct attack on your potential customers after all, i fully expect that eventually the guy is going to end up in one of the 'dirty devs' youtube videos. EGS is a controversial subject, there are several very logical reasons not to use them, its not just the lack of features, there is also the fairly huge issue of TenCent and China which no amount of rhetoric will counter. :/
    edited August 2019
    Phry said:
    Having listened to some of the discussions about Perplamps behaviour, poorly considered is a very understated description, not a good thing to start off a discussion with a direct attack on your potential customers after all, i fully expect that eventually the guy is going to end up in one of the 'dirty devs' youtube videos. EGS is a controversial subject, there are several very logical reasons not to use them, its not just the lack of features, there is also the fairly huge issue of TenCent and China which no amount of rhetoric will counter. :/
    This is such a poor argument... i grantee Tencent owns shares in most companies you play games from...

Activision - Blizzard
    Ubisoft
    Riot
    Supercell
    Take 2 interactive

if you think Tencent is a legitimate concern for you, then you should probably stop gaming, because as an investment company they buy shares in so many things, it's ridiculous.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    First off you really can't lump the entire gaming industry together anymore cause of the great difference between mobile, pc and console. All three of them view their customers in different ways then there are layers within layers of that at every company. I do believe the topic of this thread is kind of true in some cases based on my knowledge but can only speak for pc gaming because that is where the majority of my friends have worked. A "strange relationship" is really the only way to describe the way some PC game devs view their customers. At first I thought master and servant but that doesn't really fit and neither does equal partnership. In some cases though IMO it closely resembles the way politicians view tax payers with a slight resentment because at the end of the day the tax payer/customer hold the power. It's weird I know but some companies are more like that than others. I have one friend who works at a mobile company and he said that the "new car smell" of mobile is wearing off so who knows where mobile will be in a few years. There may actually be a mobile game crash cause they have been making stupid amounts of money but I dunno maybe that drug is just that good to keep the party going indefinitely.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    AAAMEOW said:

But chances are consumers won't get cheaper game just because it is on epic store.  Most likely those money just go back to developer.

I think most people are just upset they need to install 2 downloader.  They dont' care about the morality of the game war.
    What are you talking about? This is an MMORPG site. Almost every game we play has a separate launcher and account. One more doesn't mean anything.

The article linked at the end seems a little biased. unless there is proof that all West Coast game companies are communists. I kind of agree with the game devs XD

Maybe I'm odd, but I'm still waiting for companies to start using my data. None of them have been able to figure out I prefer my mail in English despite living in Japan, so I largely ignore their mail. What's even more dumbfounding is that I've told them I prefer English. But they have overruled my preference to look at my IP instead.
    All I've seen is recent searches popping up on the sides of some sites. I don't think I have ever seen something like that pop up and gone "hmm, that wasn't interesting what that came up in my search last week, but hey, I want it now!" Sometimes it works as a reminder to go back and find what I was actually searching for.
    That is a reaction to the article claiming people are against Epic because they are Owned by TenCent and heaven forbid they get our data! 
    I dont' want to install epic store.  It get annoying when I open my computer a bunch of stuff pop up.

The whole argument is people don't want to use epic store for some reason.  Either steam provide better service, they want all their games in one library, achievement hunting etc...  For me I just dont' want to install another launcher.
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:

I dont' want to install epic store.  It get annoying when I open my computer a bunch of stuff pop up.

The whole argument is people don't want to use epic store for some reason.  Either steam provide better service, they want all their games in one library, achievement hunting etc...  For me I just dont' want to install another launcher.
    if only they had options like "do not start with windows"
    Iselin
    mbrodie said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:

There is Mac and Linux after all, but in terms of gaming, Windows is probably going to be the main 'go to' because of the features and ease of use etc.
    As for the Ten Cent thing, because of their poor reputation when it comes to data handling and the obvious link with China and how that works, yeah, that problem is not going to go away any time soon, Epic would do themselves a huge favour if they could divest themselves of all links to Ten Cent, as would others.
    At this point, EGS does not have any actual excuse left for not updating their store to add features, some of them extremely basic ones, to bring them in line with 'current century' all the hard work has already been done after all, they don't have to 'invent' anything, others have already done that and its not secret tech in any way, i mean, if Epic really don't know how to do it, just ask Ten Cent, i am sure they can provide a 'copy' of other online stores software  :p
    bcbully
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    edited August 2019
    Isn't this whole article based of fabricated information?

Xasapis said:
    Isn't this whole article based of fabricated information?
    hard to say, it is 'possible' though there is also the possibility that its just something that went hideously wrong and now they are trying to distance themselves from it. When devs get involved in discussions things often go sideways. :/
    edited August 2019
    Phry said:
    mbrodie said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:

There is Mac and Linux after all, but in terms of gaming, Windows is probably going to be the main 'go to' because of the features and ease of use etc.
    As for the Ten Cent thing, because of their poor reputation when it comes to data handling and the obvious link with China and how that works, yeah, that problem is not going to go away any time soon, Epic would do themselves a huge favour if they could divest themselves of all links to Ten Cent, as would others.
    At this point, EGS does not have any actual excuse left for not updating their store to add features, some of them extremely basic ones, to bring them in line with 'current century' all the hard work has already been done after all, they don't have to 'invent' anything, others have already done that and its not secret tech in any way, i mean, if Epic really don't know how to do it, just ask Ten Cent, i am sure they can provide a 'copy' of other online stores software  :p
    kinda curious what features you speak of, because they are constantly improving their store experience and have a trello board / roadmap of features developed / in development and upcoming and some features have taken a couple of weeks longer than expected but they are rolling out pretty well on point for when they expect the release....

you seem to be clutching at straws for reasons to hate Epic, but you don't need to have justification "i don't want to use it" is a perfectly fine answer.. you don't need to go through all these non existent issues and debunked conspiracy theory claims tho try and justify your not wanting to use it.

i made this comment in a thread about BDO and i wanted to point it out here too, that you say you have been playing BDO for a long time.. but Tencent also invested in Kakao as part of a $135 million dollar investment package... There isn't many companies that Tencent doesn't have money invested in, because primarily they are an invesment firm. Also by all accounts they are great to work a long side of, they pretty much don't wanna have a say in anything unless you're doing poorly and then they are willing to help you come up with strategies to turn it around.

cheeba
    mbrodie said:
    Phry said:
    mbrodie said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:

kinda curious what features you speak of, because they are constantly improving their store experience and have a trello board / roadmap of features developed / in development and upcoming and some features have taken a couple of weeks longer than expected but they are rolling out pretty well on point for when they expect the release....

you seem to be clutching at straws for reasons to hate Epic, but you don't need to have justification "i don't want to use it" is a perfectly fine answer.. you don't need to go through all these non existent issues and debunked conspiracy theory claims tho try and justify your not wanting to use it.

i made this comment in a thread about BDO and i wanted to point it out here too, that you say you have been playing BDO for a long time.. but Tencent also invested in Kakao as part of a $135 million dollar investment package... There isn't many companies that Tencent doesn't have money invested in, because primarily they are an invesment firm. Also by all accounts they are great to work a long side of, they pretty much don't wanna have a say in anything unless you're doing poorly and then they are willing to help you come up with strategies to turn it around.

I do not hate Epic, i just don't have any reason to trust them, and yes i did also mention that i thought others would also do well to divest themselves of Tencent, but not because of their influence, but more a 'data handling' issue because of their rather obvious links to China etc. which have in no way been debunked, but you can have your own opinion on that matter and whether or not it bothers you. As for Steam, its still more 'user friendly' than EGS is, and does not engage in anti consumer activities such as exclusivity deals, that kind of behaviour is dodgy on console and dodgy on PC, always has been, and when companies engage in such dodgy activities, i am far less likely to support them, as for Ten Cents links to Pearl Abyss and Kakoa games, its unfortunate, as is their links to Eve Online through them, i consider Ten Cent to be nothing less than insidious. :/
    bcbullycheeba
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Tiller said:
    Some feel the power of the player is being stripped away slowly as more and more large and small publishers push their games onto the Epic store marketplace over Steam and their heavily community driven platform. Are we being forced back into the dark ages of relying on paid-to-praise Youtubers and PC-centric game site reviewers? Seriously starting to wonder this.

With the rise of Epic store exclusives for PC titles; which in some folks opinion serve to cut off the ability to allow the average consumers to review and criticize their work in the form of a review which may steer others away from making a purchase entirely, the vocal players (whether always right or not) are being swept to the side .

In the meantime these same companies hide behind  the guise that it's pro-consumerism to not let Steam take their 30% profit cut while proclaiming that Epic is offering a better deal for them to go with them exclusively. So which is it? How are we as consumers benefiting from this? Epic is also buttering future consumers up with the the offering of free games for everyone, mainly those who aren't on Steam at all. I'm not seeing many PC gamers looking at this as a positive at all, in fact most seem annoyed. Most people want all their games on Steam and publishers fail to understand why, most times they are even arrogant, insulting and poke fun at the idea.

I'm not one to talk, I actually made the jump for one game, Griftlands, but only after they stated that everyone who buys the alpha gets a Steam key as well. Still though, do we have reason to worry or be angry over this exclusivity issue? Is Steam a monopoly? Do you folks think this is an overreaction on the part of the gaming community as a whole? Are publishers just assholes that want to push everyone into their perfect consumer mold, shut up sit down and play their games and be happy?  I won't even go into console sales as a backup plan because we all know that these publisher always rely on this as as their plan B.

Keep politics out of this discussion please, it has no relevance here.

I find it interesting that you say to 'keep politics out of this' when this is, in essence, a political issue.

We, as consumers, benefit from competition- hands down. This is the free market. 

Now Steam has the ability to make many changes- Most of which will benefit the consumer OR do nothing and hope things play out to their benefit...Either way, I dont care.

Steam is just as greedy of a corporation (probably worse in many regards) than all the rest- They have no loyalty to you.