Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

16 year old wins 3 million

13»

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited August 2019

Post edited by IsilithTehroth on

MurderHerd

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited August 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Gruug said:
    bcbully said:
    Fortnite World Cup

Just a little less than the winner of the US tennis open will take home

Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1855093001

It is a big deal but I (and only talking about myself) cannot stand esports of any kind. It just isn't entertaining enough for me to sit and watch someone else play a game that I may or may not play myself just for fun. I would rather experience a game myself then watch someone else do it for money.
    Ive heard a lot of people say this. Then they go on about watching football or basketball all day long.

Why is it that no one questions people watching sports? Instead of watching athletes play football for money why not go out and play football yourself?
    I don't watch people play sports either for same reason.

He doesn't read books either, because he can just write it or dream about it.

While I generally don't watch esports(I don't consider it a sport as I don't consider chess one either) or other people play often unless its for tips or they are extremely likable, I won't hate on the kid for doing something we all love to do and succeed at making a fortune in a fortnite.

The ones that judge harshly are those that aren't contributing towards anything themselves and expect someone else to burden themselves with the leg work like ending world hunger or what have you. I say this as one of those people, but I can see my hypocrisy.

MurderHerd

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2019
    Why are adults playing a game that is aimed at a bunch of kids/teens? That is some creepy stuff going on in fortnite
    Kids don't earn the money to make fortnite the biggest moneymaker in the industry. The game may be visually designed to appeal to kids, but it sure as hell was designed for adults to open their wallets.
    gunklacker

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Why are adults playing a game that is aimed at a bunch of kids/teens? That is some creepy stuff going on in fortnite
    Kids don't earn the money to make fortnite the biggest moneymaker in the industry. The game may be visually designed to appeal to kids, but it sure as hell was designed for adults to open their wallets.

Don't feed the troll.
    kitarad
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    edited August 2019
    I think some have over simplified fortnite at least at the pro level.  Sure you list only a few points, but building is not that simple.  The ability to knock down your opponents wall / throw your own wall up / edit a window to shotgun your opponent in the face while also having to focus on other stuff around you requires a lot of skill and dexterity.   There are multiple edits / traps / what type of structures to build etc etc...You also have movement options like shockwave grenades, shadow bombs, roller balls etc etc.  As for luck sure there is luck invovled you can be involved in an engagement and have a thrid party come in and wipe you out.  You can get crappy weapons or get shot before you even get ready.  The kid that won had 5 out of 6 very good games and almost doubled the points of second place.  I dont think there was much luck involved in him winning.  As for the money fortnite makes millions maybe billions of dollars its nice they give some back.  I see no problem with the kid winning it at least he earned it.  Some of the popular streamers make much more than the 3 million just by advertising and what not, but you also have to admire their dedication to sit there day after day hour after hour doing the same thing over and over....I know I sure couldnt play / stream basically the same game 8+ hours every day I would go insane.
    Gorwe
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Article today says he has to pay 600K to his teammates...Not sure how much he has left after taxes.
    Gorwe
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Gruug said:
    bcbully said:
    Fortnite World Cup

Just a little less than the winner of the US tennis open will take home

Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1855093001

It is a big deal but I (and only talking about myself) cannot stand esports of any kind. It just isn't entertaining enough for me to sit and watch someone else play a game that I may or may not play myself just for fun. I would rather experience a game myself then watch someone else do it for money.
    Yep just like I can’t stand to sit through football or basketball or any other sport. I do, not watch others do. 
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited August 2019
    The vast majority of football, they aren't even playing the game and you're just waiting for them to get done deciding what play they're going to do next just so you can watch like, 10 seconds of them playing the game before it's back to them setting up the next play.  Other sports aren't much better IMHO.

In the words of Homer Simpson when he was forced to watch a baseball game while sober,

"I never realized how boring this game is."
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    The vast majority of football, they aren't even playing the game and you're just waiting for them to get done deciding what play they're going to do next just so you can watch like, 10 seconds of them playing the game before it's back to them setting up the next play.  Other sports aren't much better IMHO.

In the words of Homer Simpson when he was forced to watch a baseball game while sober,

"I never realized how boring this game is."
    They also in that 10 seconds have impacts comparable to car wrecks.  
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    so? they payed 61 million to buy vinicius junior at the age of 16 (real madrid) ^^

entertainment and money. don't think about it, waste of time.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Gorwe said:
    I just hope this won't impact him negatively(which it most likely will) because:

A: Fame is fleeting
    B: 3 million is not that much

Regardless, congratulations to him! Just keep a sane head, is all.
    I imagine it's alot like hte world series of poker....The money is addicting and they just get consumed by it and eventually have nothing....THe kid will probably start playing 12 hours a day or more now.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    uh and just for the record, this is no kid. it's a teen. 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I admit I was going on old info, but you didn't take into account the rain and injuries thing.
    And nice bias in your games there. I don't play either but I could not have said either was "silly". I know I've never watched a game of Starcraft and though "wow" though. Knowing a bit about both games SC is definitely more static and has a lot lower skill requirement.

Well let's see, in Fortnite the are about 3 to 4 concepts. 

1) Aim
    2) building
    3) Knowing what weapons work in certain situations
    4) Ability to dodge 

Starcraft:
    1) Worker management
    2) Base expanding management
    3) Upgrade management
    4) Unit building 
    5) Scouting
    6) Map presence
    7) Unit control during battles
    8) Setting up the battle 
    9) Terrain awareness
    10) Which units to build based on counters
    11) Harassment
    12) Knowledge of numerous hotkeys
    13) Timing
    14) and all the possible opening strategies per race

Basically, there is a difference between simple and complex and easy and hard. 
    Becoming good at both games will be very hard. Fortnite is a simple game, Starcraft is a complex game. 

However, complex or simple the game is, doesn't take into account the payments. Same as why football and baseball, the fact that football players get injured and blah blah blah. 

I would argue that the NFL owners are greedy bastards for splitting revenue 50% based on how physically damaging NFL is compared to other sports, I think they should split revenue at 80% for NFL and maybe 50-60% for other sports. Any way who cares. 

Good for the kid to make 3 million. Video games are like any other form of entertainment. If people will pay to watch it then it is has value end of story. 

Pfft. You put building as one feature. 
    Then update Starcraft to:
    1) Controlling shit
    EOL

Super biased dude, super biased.