Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there an ARPG/Baldur's Gate Genre?

FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
Is this a genre I am missing? A game like Grimm Dawn style game-play wrapped up in a Pillar's of Eternity type story? Not turn-based, but with full on action RPG and lot's of dialogue and heavy story telling? Any examples I am missing?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited August 2019
    I'm assuming you're talking isometric view only with mouse pointer gameplay.

Divinity 1, Beyond Divinity and Nox might fit an aRPG/cRPG hybrid.

Dungeon Siege II and Harbinger have lots of dialogue trees and stuff.

Newer games? None that i know of. Your hybrids these days are almost always third person like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Witcher(s).
    [Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited August 2019
    Alaroth: Champions of the Fours Kingdoms is on the way though.

[Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Newer games? None that i know of. Your hybrids these days are almost always third person like Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Witcher(s).
    Harbinger. Now THAT is a title I haven’t heard anybody talk about in ages. I freaking loved that game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Lost ark may be?
    kertin
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

This is what I have been really missing. Those top dawn massive world single-player RPG's. I wonder why they stopped making them.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Alaroth: Champions of the Fours Kingdoms is on the way though.

Starting to wonder about these so-called game reporters. They always compare top-down games to Diablo or POE. This game feels nothing like those games.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2019
    Finvega said:
    Is this a genre I am missing? A game like Grimm Dawn style game-play wrapped up in a Pillar's of Eternity type story? Not turn-based, but with full on action RPG and lot's of dialogue and heavy story telling? Any examples I am missing?
    From what i've seen most good modern ARPGs with lots of dialogue and story telling are turn based ( Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, Torment Tides of Numenera, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Wasteland 1 and 2, etc).

If you want action combat i suggest checking out Victor Vran and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing.