Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SBS claims to be cooperating with State and Federal Law Enforcement due to threats

2»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Mendel said:
    It's a shame that the integrity of SBS has been so undermined due to Caspian's actions that we are left here questioning the legitimacy of death threats against Caspian. I was too lazy to quote but to address @Mendel thoughts. Personally I have never seen a news article announcing that there has ever been a conviction regarding someone sending death threats to a game studio mostly because it's sent through anonymous accounts like twitter, discord or forum alias. It's not easy to put an actual person to that. In some cases getting the people to desist or deter others from making death threats is a easier and more effective way of trying to deal with them then relying on law enforcement.
    I agree.  Simply telling people to "stop" usually works.

However, law enforcement is already involved, according to the SBS posts.  The feds are trying to find and track the parties responsible, that's their job.  They have tools to track an active connection, I'd imagine.  Connections are usually transient, posts and emails are permanent.  If they identify the person behind this threat, then they can develop a legal case against that person.

Saying "stop" at this time isn't helping the feds; the investigation's success may be entirely dependent on a subsequent threat that they can actively monitor. 

IF in fact there is an actual investigation.  If the offense is literally someone saying "You suck as a CEO and You should kill yourself" then... while tasteless it is not something I envision the FBI getting involved in.  Caspien has frequently stretched the truth in many other areas so I would like to see actual proof before I believe the FBI is investigating anything.  

[Deleted User]GdemamiNorseGod

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Borderlining on death threats so they are working with the law enforcement.

Hmm that sounds as good and wise as the promise to deliver a game in literally no time because Spatial OS is the answer to everything.

How dare any of you doubts the words of the master?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    If Caspian's words are true then this is a very serious matter and has no place in our gaming community, these ppl need to be banned and reported to the proper authorities. With that said, I personally feel Caspian is slowly building a narrative here as I see this project coming to an end in the next 1-1.5 years. Caspian has already, on several occasions made remarks about how the mmorpg.com community just simply doesn't want this game...and now he is constantly telling us these current things...It would be a shame if he blamed all of us for the downfall of this game because i personally feel all of us want this game to happen, we are just vocal because we truly don't see any progress at all.

Btw i saw some people say maybe Caspian should stay off discord? Not happening, he needs us to give him money so they can continue with development. I  can't see any 3rd party company give them one penny without wanting to change CoE into a full P2W trashbin. 
    Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Mendel said:
    It's a shame that the integrity of SBS has been so undermined due to Caspian's actions that we are left here questioning the legitimacy of death threats against Caspian. I was too lazy to quote but to address @Mendel thoughts. Personally I have never seen a news article announcing that there has ever been a conviction regarding someone sending death threats to a game studio mostly because it's sent through anonymous accounts like twitter, discord or forum alias. It's not easy to put an actual person to that. In some cases getting the people to desist or deter others from making death threats is a easier and more effective way of trying to deal with them then relying on law enforcement.
    I agree.  Simply telling people to "stop" usually works.

However, law enforcement is already involved, according to the SBS posts.  The feds are trying to find and track the parties responsible, that's their job.  They have tools to track an active connection, I'd imagine.  Connections are usually transient, posts and emails are permanent.  If they identify the person behind this threat, then they can develop a legal case against that person.

Saying "stop" at this time isn't helping the feds; the investigation's success may be entirely dependent on a subsequent threat that they can actively monitor. 

IF in fact there is an actual investigation.  If the offense is literally someone saying "You suck as a CEO and You should kill yourself" then... while tasteless it is not something I envision the FBI getting involved in.  Caspien has frequently stretched the truth in many other areas so I would like to see actual proof before I believe the FBI is investigating anything.  

Yep.  I was trying to give him the benefit of doubt.  For some reason I don't quite understand.  I'm either being generous today, in a hurry, or off my meds.  Quite possibly all three.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited August 2019

Btw i saw some people say maybe Caspian should stay off discord? Not happening, he needs us to give him money so they can continue with development. I  can't see any 3rd party company give them one penny without wanting to change CoE into a full P2W trashbin. 
    Keeping off discord and not saying anything, two very different things. Caspian used to be hell active on the forums. At least there, he should be "safe". But really, I have wanted Caspian off discord for many different reasons. He seems to waste a ton of time on there. 

He reminds me of how I was in school. "ok gotta finish this report, nah lets just stuff around for a bit" "many hours later" "Oh crap, now I'm really screwed".

I'm not sure what the event was. Maybe it was when he was making the maps. He was giving a few minute update, every few minutes. Was so beyond unnecessary. Unless he was just sitting there, watching the program run and really didn't need to do anything. Just seems like, he should get off discord and work on the game more. Over chatting away for sometimes hours on end. 
    AnOldFart
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Torrsk said:

Keeping off discord and not saying anything, two very different things. Caspian used to be hell active on the forums. At least there, he should be "safe". But really, I have wanted Caspian off discord for many different reasons. He seems to waste a ton of time on there. 

He reminds me of how I was in school. "ok gotta finish this report, nah lets just stuff around for a bit" "many hours later" "Oh crap, now I'm really screwed".

I'm not sure what the event was. Maybe it was when he was making the maps. He was giving a few minute update, every few minutes. Was so beyond unnecessary. Unless he was just sitting there, watching the program run and really didn't need to do anything. Just seems like, he should get off discord and work on the game more. Over chatting away for sometimes hours on end. 

I see your point and agree with you, well said.