Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why hasn't a company taken the "classic UO" concept to the next level-Is it a Holy Grail?

I played UO classic years back before EA "Trammeled" it and "NDR"ed it to death (non-dues revenue).

I started as a fisherman, got seduced by the power of a PK bandit clan and had some awesome battles outside of town where I killed and looted many a hero.  Until one day when a force twice ours ambushed us, crushed us and took all of our high powered gear.  Man it was awesome!  My clan leader was a woman (a harley mechanic, lol!) and even her house got raided.

SO i retreated into the wilderness to try to re-establish my reputation, and befriended some nomad types while trying to avoid all the town heros who REALLY wanted to kill me and REALLY didnt believe I was changing my ways! Talk about true addiction!

Nothing has compared since!

SO where are the companies trying to emulate this Holy Grail of MMORPGs?

Any rumors??-do the developers out there here our cry?>

Do they not see the Revenue Potential?

(Actually, My gut tells me Bliz North is looking to adapt the classic UO success with a Starcraft II or Diablo III type of project.  Great, I'll lose my marraige and my job.  No one will be spared if this dream comes true . . .ah to dream)

Let's here from the developers and fans! FIRE AWAY!!!

Permadeath and environmental challenges are the next great step in the evolution of MMORPGs. Only through true adversity will one feel accomplished. Only in truly knowing you can die will true adversity present itself.

Comments

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194
    i wouldnt know anyone brave enough to try and create something that could match up to old skool uo.. it would be impossible, nothing will ever be able to compare to ultima onlines magnitude.. i just dont think its possible.. however UOGateway is a fun and free alternative

• TMcCTMcC Member Posts: 218
    I agree with the both of you....I just dont understand why the old school UO cant be duplicated?? Everything about old school UO kicked ass, and yes I for one liked being pked once in a while and losing everything, unlike most of the jokers on this board.

• JokerdbJokerdb Member Posts: 2
    origin should just fucking release another version of uo for the people who prefer the pvp/pk style of uo, make it pre trammel pre aos and all that bs

I was just wondering what you guys are looking for in the new MMORPGS if any....I might give dragon empires a shot, atleast it looks like your character will have freedom. I signed up for beta months ago and its a little behind schedule but aint they all?? I can relate to you guys so holla back at me....dont understand why everybody is waiting for WOW, EQII and Horizons cuz as far as I know they are all consent pvp till they come out with pvp shards or some bullshit like that. Hey maybe we can get one of these games and go fight ogres and camp all day and gain gold and stupid ass weapons while meetinig new people online............ROFL....you do realize thats half the people on this site are right???

THE DONS REPRESENT GREAT LAKES   well we all quit and/or got banned so i guess we dont image

• SirloinSirloin Member Posts: 5

man i loved the classic UO days.  no other game has even come close to the content of that game.  i've tried so many other mmorpgs and am just convinced that the reason UO was so great was that it was my first.  just like it was for almost all the people i played with.

hey digitydarkman, what shard were you on? i knew a darkman on pacific shard, any relation? :)

• ShelkShelk Member UncommonPosts: 66

Just because it was first isn't the reason its the best.  The reason its the best is because "no other game has even come close to the content of that game."  You don't go around saying Warcraft I was and still is the best RTS do you?

Shelk 

• Nazgul11Nazgul11 Member Posts: 56

Hail,

Does anyone remeber the dualing pits by Pupla, in The Lost Lands? Many of you mine, but The Lost Lands were placed in UO after the Beta Testing was done, mybe durring it too, But this place is where EVERYONE WHEN!! Red's, Blue's, Newbie's, and even the Vet's. Now that EA had taken over UO they had changed what players in UO love to do, PVP!!! That is the whole point of the game, eh? The point is to explor crupted lands that would kick your ass, The one Facet Methood, (or for some on you newbies on Fel) The was no such thing as Tram! I remember playin Red Rover outside of Vesper and sometimes Moonglow. Hide outside of the City gates and kill the on-comming players with skill and thought. Most players would loath you and curse at you, but in the end they would think, "Gezz...I put up a good fight. How can I make myself better to get past next time?", or even, " Hey that was sweet, I can make a millions doing that". All in all, the old UO will rule all the other add-ons and patchs.

• AlerinAlerin Member Posts: 1

"Does anyone remeber the dualing pits by Pupla"

I sure don't, because there's no such place. 

"The Lost Lands were placed in UO after the Beta Testing was done"

Actually, the lost lands were placed in UO quite a while after Beta testing.

"Now that EA had taken over UO they had changed what players in UO love to do, PVP!!! That is the whole point of the game, eh?"

Actually...  EA took over between Ultima Online: Renaissance and Ultima Online: Third Dawn and have NOTHING to do with the 2nd Age.  And no, PVP is not the whole point of the game.

I agree with you on the fact that Trammel ruined the game, but you need to get your facts lined up.  Stop trying to sound smart.  Considering you were 9 or 10 years old when the game came out, I seriously doubt that you were PKing tons of blues in the Old School UO.  If you want to sound smart, do it to ignorant people.  This is a UO board, we know what we're talking about.

• Nazgul11Nazgul11 Member Posts: 56
    Wrongo Newbee!!! When I started playing Ultima Online I played on Yamatto and this was where there Pits were before patching!image

• duckxtalesduckxtales Member Posts: 3
    yea are there any pvp mmorpg's around anymore? I played UO back in high school which was like about 4 years ago. It was awesome in the fact that you can screw people over by killing them. That's what we need a mmorpg where you can kill and loot other people. More of a real life kinda thing. loved the fact that if a newbie comes up to you to bother you for help you can pk him if ur not having a good mood... lol.. passin on the hate...

• SilveradoSilverado Member Posts: 41
    So, why doesn't EA just create a "pre-trammel" shard where all the rules are "old skool?"

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

Oh my gosh I used to LOVE old skool UO!! I remember I stayed up one night playing, and stopped at 6AM! I was soo addicted. It was the best game ever, and there will never be another. I also want to know why they don't just duplicate the pre-trammel UO and release it as a seperate game!? I wonder how many they would get. *Sigh* I was on Great Lakes. Tamer/Mage called "Sven".

Well, if any news comes about, reply.

I wonder if we can start a petition?!  I am sure its been done before, but since everybody wants it!?  It could be like an "Escape from New York" kind of vibe -- lawless and insane!  Likt the Old West!

Hey, that's not a bad idea. I wonder how we would do it and who to send it to....? Is anyone interested? I'll definitely sign it, along with my brother. That's two right there ;).

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

Shadowbane has open PK rules.  Go try it out...

What? I played SB, what does that have to do with this forum?

Shadowbane looks pretty Ugly!  Besides, its neither UO nor is it the point!  What we're trying to do is return to pre-trammel (is that right?) and we also want to assure that UXO will not be a game made by Nerf, because people don't want a spoon-fed milktoast game, do they?  I have a feeling that consentual PvP will end up allowing a pretty good bloodbath, though!

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

i know what you guys mean, pre tram UO was the shit, and no game has compared since, i tried endless ages which is a UOesque MMOG FPS, and it was fun, but not worth paying for, SB is ok, but i dont wanna be in a quild, never did, i loved being the lonesome thief and believe you me, i did some damage that way. All in all Im fed up with all the new BS mmog's out there that cater to the god know what crowd, nothing will ever compare to original uo, ever, so a few buddies of mine decided to go the UP gateway-way and ive found two decent player run shards, one is In Port Ylem - has around a 1000 people playing at once, and the towns are actually populated, and the other is Metropolis with like 450 people playing at once, albeit not as populated its a bit quicked because less people means less lag, check em out if you miss the old school uo.

later

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

go sign my petition in general discussion, i don't know if it will do a lot, but we can try. maybe they'll consider it

this has been tried numerous times....they said they cant make a pre trammel UO cuz they dont have the programs anymore....which is a bunch of bullshit...trust me dude we tried. makes no sense, but they just aint interested.

• ViolentYViolentY Member Posts: 1,458
    Anyone know if there's a place where I can download UO2D or UO3D? Or would I have to buy it in stores?

-Machiavelli

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

you were able to download AOS from Gamepsy.com though im not sure if the file is up any more.

-------

--==::: The Shadow Order :::==--

Seeking People Devoted to Thievery, Brigandeering, Piracy, Necromancy,
    Crafting, Pillaging, Merchandising, Smuggling, the Dark Arts, well you get the point.

Currently Recruiting: Dark and Light / UO (Metropolis Shard) / Wish Beta / Lejendary Adventure

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• CorvwynCorvwyn Member Posts: 8

Origin is dead. Long live EA! (Extreme irony)

EA doesn't really care much about the original fans of UO and what made it great. They just want to use their standard recipe to make money. They don't do many things that set them apart from others anymore. If they would try to make something different from the others and try to get the ultima atmosphere back. UO was something unique, although it was the first really popular mmorpg (ok so Meridian was there as well). Many of origin's crew are now spread among other companies, e.g. Destination Games.

Maybe they've just plain run out ideas for the ultima universe. Although I really love ultima, maybe they should just let it go. It doesn't seem like they want to make ultima the way its meant to be. UXO seems like nothing more than your standard actiongame. It also has quite cartoonish graphics, blizzard does it well, but this... Now if they've just finished ultima online 2, which looked awesome and used a similar better class and skill system. I followed it like many ultima fans, but it was cancelled (EA bastards)... Ok, so I am a bit critical to EA, but heck see what they did to ultima...

Origin created worlds 1983-2004

• Kent8402Kent8402 Member Posts: 1

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

You guys sound like your trying to be so cool with this pk crap. I was a pk, but I still have to admit Trammel was a good thing that happened to UO. When I was a newbie, I spent none of my time in Felluccia, Trammel was like the training grounds for me. It was no fun in Old Skool UO for a newbie like me, all I did was go outside towns to train/ explore and then a pk would kill me in 5 seconds flat. When I got better, I could go to Felluccia to fight, Trammel to train. Also, trammel attraccted many people to UO. Shadowbane made a big mistake making the whole world a pk zone with no safe havens. If you think Trammel is the worst thing that happened to UO, your a dumbass. That or your trying to sound cool.

Of course, not everyone on this board isnt that way. The worst thing that happened to UO was the AOS patch. Malas is cool, the house spacing was cool, the Diablo type weapons? Uncool. I am dissapointed that all of you think that Trammel was the worst thing that happened to UO. Where else were we supposed to train?

Going red in Felluccia is fun, no doubt about it, but I mean PVP in Trammel throug warring guilds is good too. That means you can go in Trammel, Ilshenar and Malas even as a PK.

Hopefully EA wont be dumbasses and restore UO before the AOS patch. Keep my hooded shroud though, I still think those were cool image

Ultima Online- Apoc
    Final Fantasy XI Online- Nabara
    World of Warcraft- (Coming soon :P)

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there