Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Outer Worlds Hands-On Preview

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Outer Worlds Hands-On Preview

The Outer Worlds is the latest game to soon be hitting the digital video game shelves for acclaimed studio Obsidian Entertainment. Recently, MMORPG had a chance to check out Obsidian's upcoming game at a press event - check out our preview of The Outer Worlds!

Read the full story here

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Sounds great! Looking forward to trying it in 12 months or so.
    PhryazarhalKyleranPhaedruslivesXarkoFreelancerNDTenohiraCazrielinfomatzalkarionlogand 4 others.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Can you please tell us of the FOV setting the max allowable. Also is there an option to turn off head bobbing and what are the modifications to the camera please that is available.
    onemeg

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    MMORPG.com should make red flag / stop words visible somewhere near the article titles: FPS, single player, pixels graphics, Kickstarter, crowdfunding, alpha, etc.
    Alverant7SilentNightsLucienReneOctagon7711

Thank you for your time!

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I am extremely excited for this game. The only question is which store I will support - the epic store or windows store. I'm not sure which is more effective to help pc gaming in general as well as hurt steam's monopoly.
    Agent_JosephMaddog666alkarionlogMusket-SquidPhixion13
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I'll wait for the reviews and the Steam sale.
    Tuor7MendelPhryAgent_JosephPanzerbeorne39calibekgastovski1Kyleran[Deleted User]Tillerand 9 others.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

blamo2000 said:

I am extremely excited for this game. The only question is which store I will support - the epic store or windows store. I'm not sure which is more effective to help pc gaming in general as well as hurt steam's monopoly.

Steam has a lot of faults, but it's not a monopoly. It's dominant and we need real competition, but Epic is not it. It's not consumer-friendly and their business practices are pretty bad.
    MendelPhryblamo2000Agent_JosephunfilteredJWgastovski1Maddog666[Deleted User]PhaedruslivesLackingMMOand 12 others.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Holy hell, guys.  Can ya'll refrain from derailing a topic with your bickering about Steam/Epic?  Just once?
    PalebaneSovrathBaalzharongastovski1Maddog666infomatzonemegWhiskeydust
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I've liked Obsidian products in the past.  The trailer looked pretty, although it may only be cut-scenes.  The setting looks interesting, and the art style is appealing to me.  A new cRPG with these parameters would definitely interest me.

I'll wait for a hands-on -- a demo would be ideal.  Baring a demo, I will wait for some release reviews and some in-game screen shots showing the UI.  No early access for me, thanks.

Whiskeydust

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508

moshra said:

Holy hell, guys.  Can ya'll refrain from derailing a topic with your bickering about Steam/Epic?  Just once?

Why? Obsidian Entertainment & Private Division had no problem jumping midstream when & which platforms it would be selling on after the initial announcement for a cash-grab so any article dealing with the multiple facets of this game including it's various platforms & when it will be sold on are relevant along with every other aspect of the game good or bad. The Outer Worlds companies chose to do it so reap the rewards & consequences that go along with that decision of money over ethics, so suck it up buttercup.
    Maddog666infomatzEggonomiconLucienReneWhiskeydust
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    moshra said:
    I don't think Obsidian got the message on that one, so probably not, considering its a fairly huge and controversial issue that is not going to go away any time soon.
    wingoodfoppoteeEggonomicon
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Alverant said:

blamo2000 said:

Steam has a lot of faults, but it's not a monopoly. It's dominant and we need real competition, but Epic is not it. It's not consumer-friendly and their business practices are pretty bad.

That's like people saying Google isn't a search engine monopoly. It is and so is steam. And to dethrone a monopoly - which is supported by rabid fans who have no care about markets or impacts on products, consumers, developers, and other stakeholders - sometimes you have to engage in practices that some may not like. I think its amusing the people complaining about their business practices all just happen to be people pissed some games they like are not going to steam or having delayed releases on steam. 100% correlation that I've seen so far.

I support any competitor to google as I support any competitor to steam. I have no idea why people are so into and love monopolies now, especially ones that support speech suppression and engage in extremely shady business practices only monopolies can, while causing harm to industries only monopolies can.
    BaalzharonMaddog666PhrynewbismxalkarionlogMusket-Squid
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Arterius said:
    foppotee said:

moshra said:

Why? Obsidian Entertainment & Private Division had no problem jumping midstream when & which platforms it would be selling on after the initial announcement for a cash-grab so any article dealing with the multiple facets of this game including it's various platforms & when it will be sold on are relevant along with every other aspect of the game good or bad. The Outer Worlds companies chose to do it so reap the rewards & consequences that go along with that decision of money over ethics, so suck it up buttercup.
    Obsidian had nothing to do with the decision. It's all the publisher. That is the thing that is most terrible about this whole epic vs steam thing is people just automatically attack the developer.  I mean obsidian spoke up against it and if I was a betting man I think its one of the reasons they decided to sign with Microsoft. They don't have to worry about Microsoft selling out to Epic and at the moment they are putting their games on Steam and not Epic.

Good distinction, Obsidian is the developer & Private is the publisher.  The devil's in the details contractually about how much control & influence one can have over their creation so I won't say Obsidian didn't have anything to do with it.  They certainly benefited from it short-term at least just like Private for the cash-grab.  Valid point about actions done by developers & publishers though.  

I'm not a fan of the Epic since it lacks so many features, but it can also change that & Steam is such an established behemoth & probably does take advantage of that position too much.  Even though not ideal I do think that Microsoft offering was a decent middle-ground.  The primary reason I'll be not buying till at least after this "exclusivity" deal is over the timing of their (Obsidian &/or Private) decision to change release of platforms.  I'm not fond of people, or companies, saying one thing then doing another only for greed.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    This was/is a game I am really intrigued about, but the way Epic conducts business is not something I want to support. I have no problems waiting another year or longer since I got a backlog of games, and Cyberpunk is on the horizon.

Don't really care about EGS existing, but I do care about the way they've gone handling that store. Steam really does need some competition.
    CazrielfoppoteeEggonomicon
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    meh im gonna buy it for ps4.lul
    [Deleted User]
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

blamo2000 said:

It is sold in Humble Bundle as well. A portion of those sells go to charity and then a portion to Humble Bundle, and then finally a portion to Obsidian. So...that's the best option in my opinion.
    blamo2000Eggonomicon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Not a fan of a bullet time idea,usually it makes combat too easy and more in line with a pew pew design than a tactical or action/reaction design.
    It is those little ideas that really turn me off,i wouldn't be able to enjoy a game with a mode that turns combat into easy mode.
    I watched a video,it actually looks pretty cheap to me.

The weapon models look low end,the combat is very simple and yes the bullet time makes it way simpler.

My very first impression,looks like a weaker version of Tabula Rasa.Some corridors that force you into a linear direction and a sort of forced combat,just not a well designed looking game,looks more like a rush job.
    Opinion...would definitely not even consider buying it,wouldn't play it if you gave it to me for free because there is nothing new or unique or even interesting,all been there done that before.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78

blamo2000 said:

Im buying mine from where I get most of my games, my local games store, which employs 4 people.
    Musket-SquidHariken
  • DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    We have problems fixing fallout 76 after we made promisses we couln't keep but hey buy our next product cause we didnt manage to fix the last one we will do great this time :)
    Nyghthowler
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    DEXA88 said:
    We have problems fixing fallout 76 after we made promisses we couln't keep but hey buy our next product cause we didnt manage to fix the last one we will do great this time :)
    What are you talking about? It's nothing to do with Bethesda.
    Cazriel
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Sounds good, but I'll wait for a GoG release.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    kitarad said:
    Can you please tell us of the FOV setting the max allowable. Also is there an option to turn off head bobbing and what are the modifications to the camera please that is available.
    Does no one know the answer to this?
    WhiskeydustLucienRene

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited August 2019
    still not sold on this. their best argument seems to be "from the original makers of fallout!"

fyi, fallout had REAL success starting with part 3 ^^
    first 2 parts are basically only referenced for bragging reasons among players ("ERRR PLERD FELLERT ONE...ERRR!")

and we all know who did FO3.
    [Deleted User]alkarionlog

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited August 2019
    Thane said:
    still not sold on this. their best argument seems to be "from the original makers of fallout!"

fyi, fallout had REAL success starting with part 3 ^^
    first 2 parts are basically only referenced for bragging reasons among players ("ERRR PLERD FELLERT ONE...ERRR!")

and we all know who did FO3.
    FO3 happened to land when gaming was much more popular. Most people didn't even have home PCs in the late 90s.

I like the early ones and the Bethesda ones, but saying 1 and 2 were less popular when less people played PC games doesn't really state anything.

.. and you can't forget that Obsidian did New Vegas, which is considered the best Fallout game overall.
    alkarionlog
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The trailer looks really good to an open world type RPG fan like me, but the history of video game release hype and it's consistent fallout and justified backlash, is telling me not to jump on this just yet.