Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creative director's letter #2

13»

Comments

• DavlosDavlos Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited August 2019
    hasn't tried to browbeat it into us why today's MMOs suck, how Pantheon is going to make MMOs great again, or any of the usual things a certain someone on this site does on a weekly basis :D
    That's pretty much OP's twitter feed on a daily basis. 

I monitor it frequently out of concern for the dev team's physical safety - if the Youtube Shooting and Kyoto Animation arson have anything in common with OP, the perpetrators all harbored a deep and intense level of perceived injustice towards themselves and exhibited zero capability for self-reflection. Thinking "it's just the Internet" doesn't cut it anymore.

It's not like I'm some underachiever with a crap career and too much free time to do this. The current job leaves me only 3 hours of sleep a night and I love it enough that I think about work even on my commute home, but I don't want a preventable incident to happen if I can help it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,390
    Davlos said:
    Always fun when AoC forum drama spills over to MMORPG.  New accounts and all!

I have an idea.  Let's go talk about the Creative Director's Letter!
    Hi. Senior citizen account, but rampant lurker.

We're deeply sorry about the AOC community drama spilling over here. Unfortunately, OP was repeatedly made persona non grata of the community, and because he cannot get his way, he is doing all he can to damage AOC's reputation. 

Please find a moderator who can ban OP and take out the trash. As you can see from a short rundown from an older thread and his deranged responses seen in this thread and the older one, this is a mentally unstable person who thinks himself infallible, and is an unreliable narrator at best. If this cancer isn't treated now, he will migrate to other communities on this forum to feed on them like the parasite he is.
    That’s not how any of this works. His complaints were totally valid or at least valid discussion points.  The issues seem to be folks that have a problem with him personally due to some other platform.  Leave that outside.

Feel free to discuss the Letter here but other than that use the ignore button if his posts bother you.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Kyleran is absolutely correct, everyone has biases; however, it is important to know when someone's bias is rooted in fact and when it rooted in fiction.

For example, I may have a perception that Ubers in my areas always run roughly 20 mins late.

The truth might be that they are in fact 20 mins late.

Or the truth might be that I schedule them for Noon, but I get out of class at 1145 and they routinely show up at 1205.  So, yes while I have been waiting for 20 mins, they are in fact only 5 mins "late"

In my first post I even said the OP summed it up pretty well, but the post was flooded with personal feelings.  In his case, the personal feelings cloud the truth because of his personal history with the company.

With that said, yes, my personal feelings can be called into question since I am an official content creator.  People can feel free to check the work I do and make their own determination of if my content is too harsh, too lenient, or just right.

The other problem with the post is when he gets factually incorrect about what systems were due when.  Can't let lies stand.  The OP can't even get the months of a quarter right, so when he says that "this system was due in March" well last I checked March isn't in Q2.  

Now, he could have said April, which would have at least been accurate to Q2, but as of Q1 they had already delayed Alpha as of March 7 removing the "Q2" milestone. 

Those are the bits and pieces that start to break down your argument, and at some point your argument breaks down from being a genuine concern for people and them having the full story to you just wanting to throw shade around.

Now, if the OP ever manages to put together a posting that isn't full of lies, I'd probably support it.  Its hard being in the trenches alone.  
    Torval
    jahlon said:

The other problem with the post is when he gets factually incorrect about what systems were due when.    
    Then address the factual inconsistencies, not the person.  I have a huge suspicion about many posts related to this game and company because of the referral system which gives people real money.  So while it is in fact true to say nobody has received any money TODAY... many people have thousands of dollars "banked" which are supposed to be distributed once the game launches... thus obviously there is going to be an underlying bias from those folks to see the game succeed no matter what path it takes. That does not mean what they say is wrong.  But it does always make me parse statements and words a little bit extra.  I usually try to keep the discussion on the game or the developer and not other posters.

As for your analogy... I would say it is irrelevant. Late is late and anything after late is just quibbling about the degree.

Have the announced a new target release date for the game?  I skimmed the Letter twice and didn't see it, but maybe I missed it.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,954
    jahlon said:

The other problem with the post is when he gets factually incorrect about what systems were due when.  Can't let lies stand.  The OP can't even get the months of a quarter right, so when he says that "this system was due in March" well last I checked March isn't in Q2.  

Now, he could have said April, which would have at least been accurate to Q2, but as of Q1 they had already delayed Alpha as of March 7 removing the "Q2" milestone. 

Those are the bits and pieces that start to break down your argument, and at some point your argument breaks down from being a genuine concern for people and them having the full story to you just wanting to throw shade around.

Now, if the OP ever manages to put together a posting that isn't full of lies, I'd probably support it.  Its hard being in the trenches alone.  
    Just to point out, being mistaken is different than lying. Maybe it was just a mistake. 

And a pretty easy mistake at that. 
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 386
    jahlon said:

The other problem with the post is when he gets factually incorrect about what systems were due when.    
    Then address the factual inconsistencies, not the person.  I have a huge suspicion about many posts related to this game and company because of the referral system which gives people real money.  So while it is in fact true to say nobody has received any money TODAY... many people have thousands of dollars "banked" which are supposed to be distributed once the game launches... thus obviously there is going to be an underlying bias from those folks to see the game succeed no matter what path it takes. That does not mean what they say is wrong.  But it does always make me parse statements and words a little bit extra.  I usually try to keep the discussion on the game or the developer and not other posters.

As for your analogy... I would say it is irrelevant. Late is late and anything after late is just quibbling about the degree.

Have the announced a new target release date for the game?  I skimmed the Letter twice and didn't see it, but maybe I missed it.

You and I share the opinion that late is late and the degree doesn't matter, however, when you report a degree of lateness you need to be accurate.

So when you say: They are late! 

That's is fine, but if you get asked "How late are they?" You need to be able to answer that accurately or not answer it at all.

Or if you make a statement:  They are X months late!

Well, no because even off their original timeline July 1 made them late for Alpha 1.  Even if you want to hold them to an original timeline (which I mean is questionable since they updated it) you can't say they are 4/5 months late since they are only 1.

As far as the new release target date, no they aren't giving dates.  They want to ensure they can meet whatever dates they give.  Which, you know, is a 180 from "before 2020" That's what should be discussed.

Sovrath said:
    jahlon said:

Just to point out, being mistaken is different than lying. Maybe it was just a mistake. 

And a pretty easy mistake at that. 

He wasn't.  He knows all this.  
    He's making these posts here and on reddit under a new name to "get even" with Intrepid for how they treated him.  
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,295
    jahlon said:

That's sort of hypocritical of you because in your harbinger rants you do both, just like Jahlon did. You both trash Caspian personally (quite often) and show the facts. You mix both so you get away with it but it's not fair to hold others to a standard you haven't been pulling off yourself. The OP brought drama here, not just the facts and we all know that has been a big no no in the past.

The OP brought up valid points with a bunch of half truth bullshit mixed in and a steep personal agenda. That's relevant. Those were exposed along with their personal vendetta. Revealing that doesn't absolve Ashes of anything so it seems fair to take the OP to task in the same way he's trying to take Ashes to task because in the end neither have a high ground to soapbox from.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

Torval said:

That's sort of hypocritical of you because in your harbinger rants you do both, just like Jahlon did. You both trash Caspian personally (quite often) and show the facts. 
    Actually no.  What I said was " I usually try to keep the discussion on the game or the developer and not other posters."
    Last time I checked Caspien was a developer (one who took in almost 6 and a half million dollars). And no, I am not always perfect in that either, but I do try. 

I have no problem with Jahlon. I find a lot of interesting info in his posts.  But I think he should stick to rebutting any non-factual points. My issue is more with the other guy with 4 posts who wants to have the OP banned from posting here.

Torval

• ZiltchZiltch Member CommonPosts: 9
    Who me? 
    I don't care wether he's banned or not.

Only dislike OP's tendency to lie, leave out facts, and overexaggerate.
    I can provide links to archives and uploaded pictures if you want proof of it all *shrug*