Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"1000-player" Battle Royale 'Mavericks: Proving Grounds' Studio Closed, Game Cancelled - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

image"1000-player" Battle Royale 'Mavericks: Proving Grounds' Studio Closed, Game Cancelled - MMORPG.com

If you were looking forward to the "1000-player" battle royale, Mavericks: Proving Grounds, bad news. Announced on their website (thanks Eurogamer) was news that the studio, Automation Games, is closing its doors with Mavericks subsequently cancelled.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Pity. I hope the employees find new jobs soon.
    wingoodinfomatz
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    to bad, i was so looking forward to another BR game.
    mussoliniValdheiminfomatzgastovski1Rich84ceh430Aeander
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shinobi4444shinobi4444 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    good riddance, we dont need more BR games....
    mussoliniVerenathDrunkWolfTxChiefiamspamicusUnrealRpgRateroinfomatzgastovski1ceh430and 2 others.
  • VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61

good riddance, we dont need more BR games....

Speak for yourself.
    Aeander

-Verenath-

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Ah, and another one bites the dust!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Unfortunately, history has not been kind to Bill Murphy's "awesome games of the future" picks, lol

First it was EQ:Next, now Mavericks...

Ah well, it sounded awesome in the beginning, didn't it ? ;)
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    This could be a sign the Battle Royale games have reached their zenith. Surprised they lasted this long.
    ValdheimGdemami

Let's party like it is 1863!

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    This isn't surprising. This game had the strong stench of vaporware ever since their EA ploy to scoop up cash and then proceed to completely botch their "alpha" access roll-out where they wait until the day of the access to announce huge delays. Then do "refunds" in a totally sketchy way that screws people out of their money.

Good riddance to this game and any of the intentional scammers involved with it. Yet another exhibit in the ongoing case of "don't buy into the scammy EA business model of modern games".
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2019
    We were hopeful about Mavericks, with former Managing Editor Bill Murphy calling it, “the start of something special.”

What was that other game Bill was so excited about a few years ago? Oh yeah it was EQN.

Don Murphy seems to be very good at the kiss of death :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Alverant said:
    Pity. I hope the employees find new jobs soon.
    The reason we see so many of these real cheap games is because they are so cheap to make.Often is very cheap over seas labor ,contracted out to make their games and these games would only take 3-5 people to to make and they wouldn't spend anymore than 6 months tops making it.

Also a lot of these small teams will simply make another fast cash grab game in hopes they get lucky.So all 3-5 of those employees are likely already working on a new game under a new label.The doors will shut down to avoid paying any debt owed and able to start up a new llc.

As to Bill,well i really liked the guy a lot in the early days but like the rest he became a big sellout,endorsing every single game this site or his own had any financial gains to.

I like honest people,sure you can be honest while avoiding important negative ideas but that in itself is not being honest.I hate the notion we needed to take the genre of DM and turn it into a BR title,like we really needed to change the name to create a new genre?

I have yet to see a shooter DM/BR compete with the skill and tactics that go into Unreal Tournament,sadly most seem to like these very shallow designs.Grab shotgun shoot,thanks for playing,the cash shop is over there.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.