Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Lord of the Rings Online Brings Players To the Swamp With Its Latest Update - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Lord of the Rings Online Brings Players To the Swamp With Its Latest Update - MMORPG.com

The Lord of the Rings Online has many famous bogs, from the Midgewater to the Dead Marshes. However, with the upcoming 24.2 Update currently on the Bullroarer test server, players can venture into the Swamp for a new adventure in the Vales of Anduin.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    That's Radagast from the books, not the bonkers portrayal you saw in The Hobbit films. :)
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    edited August 2019

Scot said:

That's Radagast from the books, not the bonkers portrayal you saw in The Hobbit films. :)

To be fair, it's not Radagast from the books either as he didn't have enough of a part to determine a personality :P Edit: if anything, The Hobbit portrays in a more accurate ways as one of the few things we know about him is that he, for all intents and purposes, gave up his wizarding ways to indulge his obsession with plants and animals and LOTRO has him as a pretty typical wizard type (Though they don't counteract the lore as such as nothing is really known about him as a person (most of what we know is from Saruman's insults))
    Sovrath[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124
    The leveling process really needs a major update. The lone lands and trollshaws was the most boring grindfest ever. Im now in the misty mountains and its even worse. ...and I thought FFIV ARR was bad. Also the buggy combat animations are still the same as they where at launch. It takes forever to reach endgame because of the mammoth 120 levels. Why can't they revamp the old world and do a level squish? Also my server is dead because everyone is playing on the legendary server. Rant over...
    Ozmodan
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Marcelino said:
    The leveling process really needs a major update. The lone lands and trollshaws was the most boring grindfest ever. Im now in the misty mountains and its even worse. ...and I thought FFIV ARR was bad. Also the buggy combat animations are still the same as they where at launch. It takes forever to reach endgame because of the mammoth 120 levels. Why can't they revamp the old world and do a level squish? Also my server is dead because everyone is playing on the legendary server. Rant over...
    I'm not convinced it's an "end game" game.

I would posit that if you are playing to "get to end game" you are in the wrong game.
    flizzerlotrloreOzmodan
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Marcelino said:

What @Sovrath said. This game is about the journey and the story. If you are playing it just to level through and get to max....this one is not for you.
    Ozmodan
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ronanxronanx Member UncommonPosts: 35

Marcelino said:

This game is not for you. This game is about the journey and exploration of middle earth, not toxic end game raiding for phat lewwtttzzzz.
    Ozmodan
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    Ya I think the lvling process is fine I enjoy going through the different zones. Except on the captain i just skirmish with him . 
  • TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

Marcelino said:

The old location are actually the most fun. Wait for Rohan etc, that's boring. Grass everywhere. I personally feel like they are "lvl design lazy" after Rise of Isengard expansion. All seems the same, but I wasnt in Mordor yet. The old part of game does feel much more epic like.
    [Deleted User]
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
     Sovrath said:
    Marcelino said:

I would posit that if you are playing to "get to end game" you are in the wrong game.
     I agree. You are playing the wrong game if that is your concern.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited August 2019
    Erinak1 said:

Scot said:

To be fair, it's not Radagast from the books either as he didn't have enough of a part to determine a personality :P Edit: if anything, The Hobbit portrays in a more accurate ways as one of the few things we know about him is that he, for all intents and purposes, gave up his wizarding ways to indulge his obsession with plants and animals and LOTRO has him as a pretty typical wizard type (Though they don't counteract the lore as such as nothing is really known about him as a person (most of what we know is from Saruman's insults))
    Remind me never to say anything about the Tolkien books in this company  :p

All of you know them probably inside out.

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 558
    Sovrath said:
    Marcelino said:

Having played LOTRO when it used to be about the "end game," it has worked so much better when they dropped trying to be WoW and just focused on the journey and the story. It's become such a better MMO, especially for casual people who just want a great jaunt through Middle-earth but don't want to feel obligated to Raid daily. 

Cannot agree with this comment more.
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]
    edited August 2019
    Erinak1 said:

Scot said:

That's a fair point, but I am imagining he was more like Gandalf and Saruman who were wizards than some sort of bonkers Disney mage which is what they made of him. He did get distracted by earthly things though, which in one way makes him lean more to Saruman, but his aversion to the enemy stayed true. He is a rather typical mage quest giver in LotRO I must admit.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Erinak1 said:

[...] (most of what we know is from Saruman's insults))
    I'd take those as well with a grain of salt.
    By that time Saruman was already waist-deep in his covert plot of how exactly Sauron should be countered. "Simple" and "fool" could easily mean how Radagast can't (or more likely won't) see and accept his approach of the matter.
    After Gandalf turned him down at their clash in Orthanc, I'm sure if the two Blues arrived next, he'd address both Radagast and Gandalf fools to them... :smile:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Erinak1 said:

Scot said:

That's a fair point, but I am imagining he was more like Gandalf and Saruman who were wizards than some sort of bonkers Disney mage which is what they made of him. He did get distracted by earthly things though, which in one way makes him lean more to Saruman, but his aversion to the enemy stayed true. He is a rather typical mage quest giver in LotRO I must admit.
    Eh, they were all Maiar and were involved in the affairs of Arda long before the council of Wizards was formed. Gandalf who was called Olorin loved the elves and disguised himself as one. Maiar don't need physical bodies like elves and humans do.

According to the Tolkein Gateway every Ainur sprang from the thought of Iluvatar and they only knew the thought from which they sprang and none of the others. The exception was Melkor the most powerful who knew a little of all.

Radagast served the Valar Yavanna in Arda before the council was formed. She actually had to beg another Maiar to bring Radagast with him. The wizards were formed to deal with the One Ring and Sauron.

Radagast had a good heart and answered the summons of his mistress Yavanna. Gandalf (Olorin) Gandalf was actually somewhat of a selfish coward. He balked at and initially rejected the summons of the Valar to join the council because he was afraid of Sauron. I think he went at the insistence of Manwe or one of the other summoning Valar (Orome, etc).

The various interpretations of Radagast seem on target. He's sort of awkard in the affairs and events around him. He's not particularly adept at war and or in tune with affair of men and elves.

Since he wasn't originally part of the selection crew I wonder if his purpose lacked focus because of that. He came because he's faithful but I never got Yavana's purpose in pushing him into it. Did she realize the power of his contribution that the others didn't? Did she want the interests of nature represented? I've always been a bit disappointed with how Tolkein left something so rich as the Council of Wizards and their stories untold. Anyway I ramble. Radagast (Aiwendil) is one of my favorites.
    "According to Tolkien Gateway", I read the source material mate and have contributed to such sites. :)

I don't counter your interpretation of Radagast, just the films portrayal. But then the Hobbit films were a farce compared to Lord of the Rings, Jackson really let us down.

Maiar do need physical bodies, that's why Gandalf had to be given a new one when he died. That's why Sauron (who was also a Maiar) only survived his death by having so much of his spirit bound into the One ring. He could not take on corporal form after he died and after the ring was destroyed so was his spirit (maybe) .

I am leaving out various complexities such as that Maiar can exist without bodies when originally sent to Middle earth, at least if that was the Ainur's intention. After that it is a matter of degree, if they stayed in a form for too long they become bound to them. So when that body dies it is back to the Ainur you go. It may be that some Maiar manage to avoid being wholly bound to form like  Tom Bombadil. It seems that the more well known and the more your form does, the more likely you are to become bound to it.

As to your last paragraph, I am not sure the Aniur knew what there favoured Maiar would do, they were not omnipotent and sending them was a risk. But they had to do something, and mysterious powerful characters always make for a good story. :)