Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Activision’s Late Addition of Microtransactions in Crash Team Racing is a Total Disappointm

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageOPINION: Activision’s Late Addition of Microtransactions in Crash Team Racing is a Total Disappointment - MMORPG.com

Crash Team Racing has been nostalgia-filled fun since I purchased my copy nearly two months ago at launch. However, this time, it has an unwanted addition: newly-added microtransactions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    > I paid my money for the game and that would be the end of it — I could earn my cosmetic upgrades/changes through time spent in-game, and not by opening my wallet.

And who pay for the servers ? support ? content update ?

Microtransactions, as long as they stick to cosmetics is more than OK
    IselinPhixion13[Deleted User]LeFantomeThupliUnrealRpginfomatztomahawk1930
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    They are just being consistent: surprise mechanic must be surprising. Like that $15 ransom EA/BioWare demand from me to unlock my bank account in SWTOR after "F2P" transition.

Thank you for your time!

• PKrauserPKrauser Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Why people still get so surprised when a 40~60$ game getting microtransactions?
    It's like people that get mad for microtransactions in offline-singleplayer games
    Lmao
    Phixion13[Deleted User][Deleted User]LeFantomeinfomatzSamhael
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Scellow said:
    > I paid my money for the game and that would be the end of it — I could earn my cosmetic upgrades/changes through time spent in-game, and not by opening my wallet.

In a game that never had them.. thus altering the game economy and flow? 

Because you can bet your arse that it is a thing. 
    [Deleted User]AeanderPhixion13[Deleted User]TacticalZombehinfomatz

This have been a good conversation

• silentfury007silentfury007 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Great article Allyson! Microtransactions have no place in video games. Because even if "they are just cosmetic", they make it harder to earn those cosmetics by just playing the game. I'd rather pay $100 for a full, complete game than pay $60 and get nickel and dimed for all the content that should have just been included.
    Tuor7AlverantFacelessSaviorPhixion13LeFantomeThupliinfomatz
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    We've sure come a long way since horse armor, and it hasn't been for the best, IMO.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Phixion13[Deleted User]TacticalZombehinfomatzSamhael
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Scellow said:

My dollars spent on the game paid for the servers, and support. Content Updates they can charge me for and I will pay money for that. Same with cosmetics.
    [Deleted User]Phixion13[Deleted User]ThupliTuor7PalebaneinfomatzSamhael
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The day players stop purchasing the microtransactions is the day this ends and something else will evolve ...even worse perhaps to take its palce.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    This is a bait and switch tactic. They deliberately waited until after people bought the game and the reviews were written before making a significant change. What Activision did was fraud plain and simple.
    AeanderFacelessSaviorPhixion13PhryThupliTuor7PalebaneTacticalZombehKalinovainfomatz

Scellow said:

Why, exactly, does there have to be content update on a remake after the game was released? Also if they were worried about paying for servers, why didn't they impliement these mechanics in the beginning instead of waiting?
    Kalinovainfomatz
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Torval said:
    kitarad said:
    The day players stop purchasing the microtransactions is the day this ends and something else will evolve ...even worse perhaps to take its palce.
    We can expect it to get worse even if we don't stop because they've continually taken the lowest road possible at every turn and fork.

I think if gamers didn't buy anything on release and waited 6 months or so before buying in that it would change the industry. Even if it got worse for a while it couldn't stay the same. The industry status quo cannot survive "patient gaming". Getting off the hype train and waiting can't make it any worse long term than doing nothing.
    I agree I have never bought anything with the exception of Path of Exile MT but in that game the inventory thing and storage was a must. I bought one outfit and one graphic change for my totems. I wanted to support Grinding Gear Games because I felt they deserved it considering how much work they do each league.
    Phryinfomatz

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I've always been lukewarm about this. I don't care if there is no advantage. Time is money and money is time, those paying are saving their time rather then wasting it. There is a value to shave off time. It's been proven again and again. Since human lives are finite and the range of total life span is known to various degrees. That time saved is better off.
    FacelessSaviorPalebaneMaddog666
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

tawess said:

Scellow said:

who will pay for servers ?
    Iselin[Deleted User]infomatz

Alverant said:

Scellow said:

Why, exactly, does there have to be content update on a remake after the game was released? Also if they were worried about paying for servers, why didn't they impliement these mechanics in the beginning instead of waiting?

maybe they wanted to know if the game was successfull of no, the more players, the more servers they have to pay, the more expansive it gets
    Aeander[Deleted User]infomatz
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Never going to support a game that hides their microtransactions until after launch. If you're too ashamed of your bullshit to include it up front, that's a good indicator that you know that what you're doing is fucked up.
    XarkoAlverantCoolitKyleranThupliTuor7PalebaneTacticalZombehKalinovainfomatz

Scellow said:

tawess said:

Scellow said:

Asked and answered, the people who bought they game.
    ThupliTuor7
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Torval said:

kitarad said:

We can expect it to get worse even if we don't stop because they've continually taken the lowest road possible at every turn and fork.

I think if gamers didn't buy anything on release and waited 6 months or so before buying in that it would change the industry. Even if it got worse for a while it couldn't stay the same. The industry status quo cannot survive "patient gaming". Getting off the hype train and waiting can't make it any worse long term than doing nothing.

Yeah I can see this micro transaction shit going to get worse, I mean I was watching King of avatar live action tv series from tencent, and they got this gimmick to watch early if you pay vip, and when I watch it, it literally full of ads, when I paid to watch something I expect no ads, but no It has full of ads. I think if we keep supporting games like this. The future of gaming will be clear like this, First for extra $100 you will get early access, then You pay full price $60, then you have a monthly fees sub of $10, then you have to pay continual monthly expansion of $30 and also have microtransaction dlc, and then they will have ads spam inside the game, including product placement. I could continue on and on but you get the point.
    [Deleted User]
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I personally don’t mind microtransactions if they stay cosmetic and you can still earn similar items in-game. On a side note, I do however take issue with lootboxes as companies know exactly what they are doing and its disgusting.

It is a pretty crap thing to do adding them at this stage however and I can understand why people are p*ssed. They have clearly done this to avoid any negative press at launch which seems to be the new thing that is happening more and more.
    PalebaneMaddog666
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I heard that if you look for a synonym for the word disappointment, Activision is one of them.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scellow said:

Yeah because without MTs Activision/Blizzard, EA, Rockstar, Bethesda etc. would need to turn off the servers or risk having all the developers be homeless.

With the obscene profits made in gaming I can't believe people still regurgitate this horseshit excuse.

Get it through your head: MTs are not NEEDED to keep the lights on in games that are not free to play. They are extra profit and nothing else.
    ThupliTuor7TacticalZombehMaddog666
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    If you don't like them, don't buy them. Nothing stops you from earning that currency through game play just as you have been doing.
    PalebaneUnrealRpgMaddog666KalinovaAeander
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
     n/k/a Cash Team Racing

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Alverant said:

Scellow said:

tawess said:

Scellow said:

Asked and answered, the people who bought they game.
    AFAIK its not server hosting, but matchmaking which is a hell of a lot cheaper to run/maintain, and yes, that will have been in the box price, its not a F2P game after all.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Scellow said:

No it's not.
    How do you think they were doing before all that microtransaction crap? They still had to pay for servers and all.. It's only because of people like you that we got this today. What about getting cosmetics for FREE when you pay full price for a game ?
    Man, this is not a free to play game, we paid for the product.

Tuor7

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    LeFantome said:

Scellow said:

No it's not.
    How do you think they were doing before all that microtransaction crap? They still had to pay for servers and all.. It's only because of people like you that we got this today. What about getting cosmetics for FREE when you pay full price for a game ?
    Man, this is not a free to play game, we paid for the product.

While I do think that microtransactions aren't a great thing, games have supplemented server costs / development costs through the release of expansions prior to the microtransactions. Most of the games I played back in the day online, had some form of expansion come out at some point, or something available for me to buy if it didn't have a monthly fee.