Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO's Minstrel Is Its Most Interesting Class For All The Lore Reasons - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,750
    edited August 1
    lahnmir said:
    I also have a High Elf Runekeeper riding a goat on the Laurelin server. Bring it haters!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Take your goat and sail home to Aman, which is where you are meant to be...Ok not the goat, no giant goats in Aman, just you in your swan ship. :D

I can remember talking about the lore breaking aspects when they came out. This was my favourite reply 'Yeah but have you seen the animations on stuff on the saddle, really cool.' Different prioties I guess, today I would imagine walking around with an Xmas box as an outfit beats that. MMORPG drift at work.

Torval

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,120
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:
    Po_gg said:
    LM (at least at the start) was fitting the world really well, all seven original classes did. LM was a crowd control class, dealt with the mobs through his knowledge on the world, with his animal companions and the help of nature.
    They weren't the "one-man group" of today, that's the byproduct of the trends in MMOs general, about CC is now irrelevant and dps is everything, for all classes.
    At the start, leveling an LM solo was almost as tedious as with minstrels, you had to plan ahead the whole fight, what to slow, what to stun, what should your pet do, etc.

As the mighty champ posted 10 years ago, mocking minis, LMs and RKs:
    "2. Loremasters are afraid of almost everything. Seriously.
    All of their skills are based around this. They mez and root to keep the scary things away. If that fails, they debuff it, so it seems a little less scary to them.
    And they have pets to help keep things away from them, and to have someone to cuddle with in case they have a bad dream or something."
    :smiley:
    I totally disagree about the LM. It was the master solo class. Before Guards and warspeech Minstrels could solo stuff, LMs were doing it in spades. Their level 45 class quest was farming Elite Spiders in the Trollshaws. Elite spiders in the Trollshaws had constant roots and dots. Nothing spelt death back then like stun/root + dots.

Before CC got nerfed to oblivion LMs could solo Elite Masters in Shadows and Moria. Do you remember the LM in Moria who solo'd Giant Wing in Helegrod? It was freaking amazing. They could also solo the Moors quite handily along with Burgs.

And at that time pets were total rubbish in the long haul. There was no battle summon or rez. Once the 3 pet skill cooldowns had fired they were just essentially useless. It was CC that made it all possible.

My original LM didn't even see defeat until about lvl 38 - 40 because I took on too many Orcs at once and they stacked bleeds on me that I couldn't shrug off. I had handled the CC poorly too. I miss that LM. They're power is a shadow of what it was, but they're still formidable if played well.
    Agree. My original LM was a god when played right, could juggle 3 elites if I had to, solo. It took some serious skill but players that knew how to handle an LM properly were very powerful. To this day that OG LM is my favourite class ever, real skill with real payoff. LM now is a parody of that.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I didn't play my LM for that long to reach elites and stuff left just after Moria but it was my favourite too.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,715
    edited August 1
    lahnmir said:
    I also have a High Elf Runekeeper riding a goat on the Laurelin server. Bring it haters!
    Put on the gift-wrapped box, a top hat, wield the giant flower as weapon, and you might cause the server to melt down :smile:

ed: on a second thought, can you even ride while dressed in the gift box? Never tried yet, will do next time. The clipping sure must be wonky...
    lahnmirTorval
  • skeaserskeaser Member UncommonPosts: 3,949

Po_gg said:

skeaser said:

Why does everyone act like Beornings are lore breaking? http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Beornings

It was discussed from every aspect at launch, so just a short version:
    The actual descendants of Beorn (the skin-changers, not to confuse with Beornings in general what the linked wiki covers) were still a few at the time of the Fellowship, and they were definitely not roaming all around Middle-earth, beating up mobs and drinking in inns etc.
    They were fighting at home, guarding the area.

ed: same discussion on high elves last year...

For me, I ignore other players. My Beorning is the one that was sent at Radagast's request (granted some of my kin show up down the line), all the other Beornings are playing the same story that I did/am. At a certain point I just give up and accept MMO logic.

I mean, how many people were at the sacking of Archet and watched Captain Brackenbrook die?
    Torval
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,750
    skeaser said:

Po_gg said:

skeaser said:

Why does everyone act like Beornings are lore breaking? http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Beornings

It was discussed from every aspect at launch, so just a short version:
    The actual descendants of Beorn (the skin-changers, not to confuse with Beornings in general what the linked wiki covers) were still a few at the time of the Fellowship, and they were definitely not roaming all around Middle-earth, beating up mobs and drinking in inns etc.
    They were fighting at home, guarding the area.

ed: same discussion on high elves last year...

For me, I ignore other players. My Beorning is the one that was sent at Radagast's request (granted some of my kin show up down the line), all the other Beornings are playing the same story that I did/am. At a certain point I just give up and accept MMO logic.

I mean, how many people were at the sacking of Archet and watched Captain Brackenbrook die?
    If you are actually roleplaying in a MMO you ignore so much, I remember that we talked in character in guild chat using a form of telepathy that the Dunedain were said to had on Numenor. It was either that or give everyone a pocket sized Palantir. :)

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P