Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

“First AAA Game To REQUIRE Ray Tracing GPU Will Ship In 2023,” Says Nvidia Scientist

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    3DTV's VR, Raytracing, you know what, i think i'll just pass on that because when the smoke clears and the hype evapourates, gimmicks tend to stay just that. :p
    Ridelynn[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I think that graphic is ridiculous, today's improvements in graphics are a snails crawl compared to what was happening in the 1950's or indeed the 1990's. Over the last five years graphics have hardly got better and that's the way it is going to be over the next five years. Unless computing power starts to jump forward again that won't change.
    IselinPhry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scot said:
    I think that graphic is ridiculous, today's improvements in graphics are a snails crawl compared to what was happening in the 1950's or indeed the 1990's. Over the last five years graphics have hardly got better and that's the way it is going to be over the next five years. Unless computing power starts to jump forward again that won't change.
    I would add the caveat of Unless 'affordable' computing power starts to jump forward again that won't change. :/
    RidelynnScot
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scot said:
    With all the recent talk about the new Wolfenstein (which I'll pass on) I loaded the New Order again which I last played when it came out five years ago. If I didn't know the game and was seeing it for the first time I'd guess it's a 2019 game.

Ten or 15 years ago a 5 year difference was big with obvious quality improvements. The PC HW gaming industry got used to the predictable churn and upgrades that we all used to do when those upgrades were large leaps forward and made a huge difference. Now it seems like they're trying to force the issue with gimmicks and small incremental changes for very small real gains in the games we play.

Ray tracing doesn't produce visuals that are jaw dropping compared to the current pre-rendered stuff we're used to (some of which ironically is done with ray tracing.) At best it's a small increase in the visual quality we'll see when we play games.

Got to sell that new tech though :)
    PhryScot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Ray tracing/nvidia hairworks and nvidia hbao+ nice on visuals but huge performance drop. Until this things become like fxaa or anisotropic filtering performance wise i don't think it will be worth it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited July 2019
    Maybe we have just hit the point of diminishing returns on graphics fidelity. More R&D should
    be spent on things like animation, physics and textures in my opinion.

Not that those haven’t also hit the point of DR, but in a game lately I often notice janky animation or crappy textures, but if you just look at still shots it looks pretty good.
  • milayskymilaysky Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Distinguished Scientist for Nvidia, Morgan McGuire predicted ..
    I suspect he sucks at predictions ...and who gives a crap about RT???
    First make 1 GPU capable of 3440x1440p@144Hz that doesn't cost like a used car ..then you can do gimmicks.
    poor poor PR green folks
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    My prediction is that this game will be a glorified tech demo like the first VR games for the PS4.
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391

Relampago said:

3dfx Voodoo 1996, NVidia NV1 (oh how they like to forget their own histroy) which was a flop 1997 , the NVidia Riva 128 (which i used my hard earned work money for, It was awesome) 1998, they coined the term GPU with the 256 in 1999, same year as the ATI Rage Fury Maxx. As for the statement they are playing up raytacing too hard, it is not that large a differentiator. The GPU market has been stagnant and this is just marketing at this point.

I know they were just Riva chips later, but wasn't the Diamond Viper line of cards it's own thing for a while? I feel like I had one in my PC around 1997...
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Maybe it will be relevant by that time
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Any new tech always cost too much to start and has little reward over cost. By the time its required and games can take full advantage of Ray Tracing (game thats developed with Ray Tracing in mind) the cost of video cards that have it will have gone way down, thanks to all the people who jumped in the tech early. Stay calm, this will always be the cycle of new tech.