Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

“First AAA Game To REQUIRE Ray Tracing GPU Will Ship In 2023,” Says Nvidia Scientist

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

image“First AAA Game To REQUIRE Ray Tracing GPU Will Ship In 2023,” Says Nvidia Scientist

In a tweet (via PC Gamer), Distinguished Scientist for Nvidia, Morgan McGuire predicted that the first AAA game to require a ray tracing GPU will ship in 2023.

Read the full story here

Comments

• achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    edited July 2019
    I hope they will fix 2080 Ti problems by that time.

My 2080 Ti died few days ago.
    A 1k € grahpic card should not have such issues. I ask myself what was Nvidia thinking, if they did at all ...
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    First 3D professional card I had was in 1992 from Vermont Microsystems

First 3d gaming card I had was a 3DFX Voodoo, I'm pretty sure it was before 1999
    gervaise1Hatefull

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    This reminds me of DX12 adoption. All we heard for a year was how great dx12 was going to be.

So by 2023 i will be expected to upgrade for a lighting solution I don't really care about? Better be some fancy game that blows my mind.

Just sounds like posturing to me. Try to convince the industry it needs ray tracing so everyone's forced into an upgrade. Meanwhile the industry will continue to churn out garbage filled with micros except with expensive hardware lighting.
    FolmenWaaninfomatzRich84RidelynnAlverantkenguru23Amathe
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited July 2019
    If all you play is MMOs by then I assume all we will have are Korean MMOs, they might upgrade to Unreal Engine 4 by then, but you don't need ray tracing for that. :D
    Post edited by Tiller on
    Folmen[Deleted User]infomatzRich84[Deleted User]RidelynnRemyVorender
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

laserit said:

First 3D professional card I had was in 1992 from Vermont Microsystems

First 3d gaming card I had was a 3DFX Voodoo, I'm pretty sure it was before 1999

I think that GeForce 256 was first for shifting some workloads from CPU to GPU, but there were dedicated GPUs before that.

This is just NVidia doing PR. If they employ 99 scientists who think it's more than 10 years before any game requiring ray tracing and one who thinks it's 5 years, then NVidia will have one scientist saying 5 years while others remain quiet.
    Major69er1Folmen[Deleted User]

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited July 2019
    Raytracing is just a gimmick really!
    Is it needed NO
    Is it pretty MAYBE
    Does it need to be forced down our throats apparently YES
    The more hardware options they keep throwing down our necks the more expensive gaming is gonna get... To the point that making a game will cost the consumer 2x or more what games cost now this goes doubly for hardware sales and consoles too
    TillerFolmenWarlyxdoomex
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    nawww, I'm sure it'll be 18 months after 2023
    Folmen
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Afaik the computer for Tennis for Two couldn't run Spacewar, Atari 800 couldn't run NES games, and Geforce 256 couldn't run Doom 3.

What does that promise to Turing's ability to run the ray-traced game they predict will come out in 2023?
    QuizzicalRidelynn

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Of course he said that. He's an Nvidia employed scientist. I remain skeptical. If someone doesn't manage to provide ray tracing at 60fps 1080p for under $300, then it most certainly will NOT be "required."
    doomex

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2019
    To require? meaning if you don't have one you can't play the game?

Theres a big difference between a computer that can't run a game because hardware is too old, and a computer that can't run a game because its locked behind a visual effects feature. But what do i know...
    infomatzPhry

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    3dfx Voodoo 1996, NVidia NV1 (oh how they like to forget their own histroy) which was a flop 1997 , the NVidia Riva 128 (which i used my hard earned work money for, It was awesome) 1998, they coined the term GPU with the 256 in 1999, same year as the ATI Rage Fury Maxx. As for the statement they are playing up raytacing too hard, it is not that large a differentiator. The GPU market has been stagnant and this is just marketing at this point.
    kenguru23
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Because the rocket sled to game success is to make people have to buy expensive new hardware to play it.

*Gives side eye to Vanguard*
    immoralthang

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2019
    Devs don't know what AAA is so how the heck would an Nvidia employee know what AAA is?

Personally i feel we do not need raytracing at all,we need better games and this tech plus Nvidia is NOT going to get devs to make better games.I mean geesh if they are not willing to put in the effort right now,what makes Nvidia think they will be willing to put in MORE effort with lighting and the games a few years from now.
    I say Bull,not happening,besides this is a blanket statement,tell me what game is going to be AAA then i can weigh in from there.

Then i look at another factor that drives the gaming market>>>$$$ and popularity.Wow is the most successful mmorpg,it has horrible lighting,horrible graphics,so what do devs care about raytracing or better lighting,they DON'T.

I have already seen many Korean games try to utilize the best lighting it can on your character but the rest of the game is crap.Do i care about sitting in a character creation screen,not one bit, i care about the game and what it offers me.

Bottom line,i would rather play some older games on the same PC/hardware and not give Nvidia or anyone anymore money.I am not in a rush to spend money foolishly like all those did that bought into the LOL VR hype...again.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    WE will not see AAA until VR becomes a true reality AND some developer has loads of money and time to risk on a great game.This VR will utilize full body function/support,meaning we control our every character move via some VR system and not via the KB/mouse.Our characters will be a full realization of ourselves and the world fully interactive.Then all the systems that make up the game need to be top quality,full of depth like a AAA design is expected to be.

My prediction,i will no longer be on this Earth,likely at least 15-20 more years.So for the next 19 or so years,enjoy wasting money on year by year small increments the GPU and CPU manufacturer's want to sell you so they can get rich.
    jimmywolf

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    You have to love how even scientists will simply ignore advancements that weren't made by their company.

Yes, I bought an nVidia GeForce 256 card in 1999 (to run EQ1).  That wasn't the first dedicated GPU I owned.  The first GPU I know of was in the Mindset computer in 1984-5.  It was a beautiful machine, an MS-DOS machine with a nice 80186 processor.  It came packaged with GW-Basic, and was graphically far ahead of the IBM machines.  However, it couldn't run 1-2-3, which for a computer in 1985, was pretty much a death sentence.

The timeline should have suggested that the GeForce 256 was the first card from nVidia, or something to that nature, rather than it being the first GPU.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if there was a AAA game that required ray tracing by 2023... But like every other game that has required specific hardware / software (e.g. DX10, DX12) it will sell poorly.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

achmede said:

A 1k € grahpic card should not have such issues.

I ask myself what was Nvidia thinking, if they did at all ...

Thats the risk you take whenever you buy new tech.
    Hatefulljimmywolf
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2019
    Key word: predicted.

The only way a company is going to produce an RT only AAA game for release in 2023 is if NVidia (or AMD) pay them to do so.

If you work backwards:
    a) 2023 release - lets say fall - so development start fall 2021 at the latest.
    b)So business case, getting costs, making sure enough cards will have been sold - mid 2021. Again at the latest.
    c) Whilst developers will assume further sales during development they will want to see evidence of adoption before they OK the expenditure of huge costs.
    d) So "enough" RT cards will have to have been sold by c. start 2021. And remember this is assuming 2 years development and an end 2023 launch.

And at this moment in time there is nothing to suggest that a cheap, RT capable card will be launched in the next 12 months. A card so wonderful that people rush out and buy it in their millions causing developers to say: gee we have to make an RT only game.

So: predicted as in wishful thinking.

(A game that can use RT by then - sure).
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    The Virtual Boy launched in 1995, and 24 years later, VR still isn't common.
    gervaise1HatefullRich84jimmywolf[Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    NVidia and AMD have both been selling premium price RT cards to industry for decades.

To remain competitive against less capable but cheaper cpus - which can do the calcs by sheer brute force - they have had to continue development and reducing prices.

Combining the industry development costs with gaming development costs is  sound strategy.

Attempting to get gamers to buy RT cards - and to get developers to make games that can only run on RT cards - is also sound strategy since the discrete gpu market is itself under threat from on-board gpus. (Remember sound cards?)

An RT only game though?

Maybe - and I am blue skying here! -

would it be possible for Disney say, probably Disney, to take the graphics / special effects used in an Avengers film say - which will use RT - to produce a game. So one that starts life as an RT product rather than one that has to be tweaked to give an RT option. (Not necessarily made by Disney just instigated by them).

I don't know. Just trying to see how they could get an RT only game. For a game that can be run on an on-board gpu but has an RT option if you have a graphics card ..... that is not what NVidia want. (AMD might be OK with that since they have decent on-board gpus).
    [Deleted User]
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 412
    Games often take 4-5 years to develop (AAA), this means that the game in mention is under development now..and given how the current gen nvidia cards has failed to convince -anyone- that raytracing is what the industry needs, i highly doubt any dev. will make that a requirement for the next 5-6 years
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Quizzical said:
    The Virtual Boy launched in 1995, and 24 years later, VR still isn't common.
    And ray tracing is a fair bit older then that even.

With dedicated hardware things might move a bit faster but 2023 is only going to happen if Nvidia funds said game. I would go with 2028 and up looking at hardware refresh rates and current “quality” of these cards when it comes to ray tracing. A mate of mine was already using ray tracing on his Nintendo DS all those years back...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Utinni said:

achmede said:

A 1k € grahpic card should not have such issues.

I ask myself what was Nvidia thinking, if they did at all ...

Thats the risk you take whenever you buy new tech anything.
    FTFY
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nanfoodle
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Zarine7Zarine7 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Good luck with that. It's terrible the way it is, and the new "super" cards that were supposed to be $100 cheaper are $100 more... and also not available