Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Waiting for Classic - MMORPG.com

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited July 2019
    You guys have to admit, We are in a sad state of affairs . Lets be honest. The fact we are all anticipating the original release of a MMO that was made over 15 years ago, 15 YEARS ! This is a indictment of failure bigger than any Russian collusion hoax Political theater could dream of that current day devs of WOW are failing on such a EPIC level that they have to resort to going back in time . Back in time to a place when they probably weren't even in the industry !!! Well that would explain all beta testing, right ?

Classic WOW is the final nail in the coffin for a genre that has been on life support for quite some time. Classic wow won't reinvigorate the MMO landscape it will put it to bed. Gamers will consume classic like the locust plague we are & then say "Whats next" ?! And the industry will respond .. . .. . . . nothing.

Xarko
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    It just goes to show how far the MMO genre has fallen, that the next big MMO is a vanilla version of one that came out in 04.
    TheocritusKyleranAxxar
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    You guys have to admit, We are in a sad state of affairs . Lets be honest. The fact we are all anticipating the original release of a MMO that was made over 15 years ago, 15 YEARS ! This is a indictment of failure bigger than any Russian collusion hoax Political theater could dream of that current day devs of WOW are failing on such a EPIC level that they have to resort to going back in time . Back in time to a place when they probably weren't even in the industry !!! Well that would explain all beta testing, right ?

Classic WOW is the final nail in the coffin for a genre that has been on life support for quite some time. Classic wow won't reinvigorate the MMO landscape it will put it to bed. Gamers will consume classic like the locust plague we are & then say "Whats next" ?! And the industry will respond .. . .. . . . nothing.

It's possible, as has been stated before, this could be the WoW2 that never happened. Where they can re invent themselves and create a real fork with new content for this iteration.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see that, but do I actually believe it will happen? Probably not.
    JeffSpicoli
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I raided hardcore during vanilla so I plan to just bullshit around like nobody's business. Gonna make a troll rogue and troll alliance towns. Also hoping the PvP can sustain my needs long term not for competition just for casual daily fun. If I find a good guild with like minded folks that'll be a plus too.
    JeffSpicoliAxxar
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited July 2019
    danwest58 said:
    People can cry all they want about how much time Classic WOW will take. These are the people that join do not belong playing MMORPGs. This is EXACTLY why MMORPGS today suck ass. You spend 1 to 2 weeks leveling then you are at end game and 2 to 4 weeks later you clear the entire content. Then you cry about how bored you are because the content is done and over will. That is because MMORPGS were NEVER designed to be something you can play for a month or two and what away. Yes some of the old MMORPGS have really stupid ass grinds, look at UO and how it could take you a year to level taming to 100% or Provoke to 100%. You might get only a .1 of a point in a week. YES this was stupid. But Vanilla WOW struck the right balance between casual and hardcore.

If you dont have time to play a game 5 to 10 hours a week then go do something else. I can spend 5 hours on a Saturday fishing if I dont have my kids on that Saturday and completed my other tasks. Its called Time Management and being ok with the hobbies you do have.
    Just making an observation and not trying to pick a fight or anything. You take your kids on alternate weekends I suppose. For the rest of the time they are with your ex-wife. I don't suppose she has that much disposable time as you do especially if she is also going to work every day.

Interesting how you're making an observation about the time people have when you yourself have more as a result of the divorce.

I am a housewife and my kids are all grown up. I really admire women who work and take care of kids too. When my kids were younger even though I was a stay at home mum , time was at a premium.
    [Deleted User]KickaxeKyleranAxxar
    Chamber of Chains
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

Whelp... If it dies it dies
    JeffSpicoli

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Is Classic going to stay classic? i mean how are content patches gonna be handled? You cant stay classic forever.
    mrputts said:

Whelp... If it dies it dies

[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

BruceYee said:
    I raided hardcore during vanilla so I plan to just bullshit around like nobody's business. Gonna make a troll rogue and troll alliance towns. Also hoping the PvP can sustain my needs long term not for competition just for casual daily fun. If I find a good guild with like minded folks that'll be a plus too.
    This is kind of my gameplan as well, with a dash of pve dungeons thrown in
    Axxar
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ShinyFlygonShinyFlygon Member UncommonPosts: 297

Scot said:

I think players will be disappointed because the build up has been so huge, expectations will be beyond sky high. So to avoid disappointment, skip the hype, don't talk about it all the time and let rip once play begins. :)

I think anyone who is likely to have any interest in Classic already knows what they are getting into because they've been asking for it for years. They want this for some very specific reasons, and nostalgia is not among those reasons.

Most who are just dipping their toes in out of curiosity are bound to be disappointed, so I agree that there's not much point to all the hype. But it will be nice if some of those newcomers are able to see what made the original such a brilliant game.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

It's possible, as has been stated before, this could be the WoW2 that never happened. Where they can re invent themselves and create a real fork with new content for this iteration.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see that, but do I actually believe it will happen? Probably not.
    A lot of people hope for exactly this, but I doubt it will happen.

That said people that say that classic servers won't last long are either out of touch in my opinion or just ignoring the obvious... There are top streamers(sodapoppin for example) that have been playing on private servers for years now. Just him alone will be able to keep the interested for the game for easily more than a year. I'm not saying that classic servers will have more population than live servers... that's impossible. Developers have managed to ruin gamers in the past 5-6 years... They managed to make it, so that people don't like to invest time for nothing(like in classic where it might take you 30 hours to get 1 item that you need). That's why crap like AP is around, so that people feel like they are constantly getting something when in fact they are grinding the same as back in classic, except it felt more rewarding back then when you finally got what you needed.

Anyway arguing if classic will be a hit or not at this time is pointless in my opinion. I believe that we will be able to see how the "game" will do within the first 1-2 months. If people start losing interest by then they it will slowly "die" within few more months, but if the servers are bustling and we see the WoW category on twitch having 100k+ constant views I'd wager that it will be around for quite a while.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You will never and can never play the original classic Wow,instead you will be playing some rebooted version of and nothing more.
    Blizzard is willing to call it CLASSIC because that is what so many want to hear,that is what will bring in new revenue and that is all they care about.Many ideas already got nerfed/changed because the original ideas were bad.Fast forward to blood Deathknight and will be the same thing,nerfs/changes NOT the original ideas.

So if people think they are playing CLASSIC as intended to be the original,they are being mislead.
    kertin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    I have been looking forward to this since it first announced, bringing the orignial 'Quaz' back to life, shammy - level as elemental / raid as healer...
    Being a shammy it will be great to be useful again after about 10 years of being almost pointless in raids lol :D
    I have booked off 8 days from teh day of release to OVER DOSE but then will go back to 3-4 hours a night, but will enjoy 8 days / nights of 20 hours of gaming :D remember the good ole days.
    For me i didnt get to play much of original wow as i joined about a month prior to BC so only elvelled up so will be good to experience it at same time as others

I have been in contact with my old guild who are still going on the live server, and i think / hopeful that about 10-20 of them will be back, and we start to build a new version of the guild , but who knows. Either way i will enjoy the game :D
    Just hope that they dont put back the date as the holiday is booked at work lol :D
    Axxar

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    I find it funny that Classic WoW is my most anticipated game in a very long time. Actually it's probably more of a sad reflection on the state of MMO's. Either way, I'm excited to start a new (old?) adventure.
    Axxar
  • dmm02dmm02 Member UncommonPosts: 40

jgn77 said:

I love how many people think it will fail because they aren't 20 and in college anymore. Here's the thing, they've made more 20 year olds to replace you in the last 15 years. So just because you can't play 8 hours anymore doesn't mean some college kid out there can't.

20 y/os today don't play what 20 y/os played in 2004. Best of luck to y'all though. I hope you find what you are looking for.

I think you are right just not in the way you intended. I think 20 y/o's today are playing more than 20 y/o's of classic just my own opinion tho
    Axxar
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    edited July 2019
    MMORPG.com comments about WoW Classic are generally filled with butt-hurt retail babies and vitriolic farts that don't want to believe the majority of new games are genuinely boring - made for the silver spoon fed era gamer.
    TamanousKyleran
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I have no interest in going backwards to reminisce. I might try ESO again, but more looking forward to the next LOTRO by Amazon. I do hope folks have fun though. Glad it's an option for those who care.

There Is Always Hope!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I have no interest in going backwards to reminisce. It had it's time and that time was great for back then. I am more interested in new games yet to be released, like Amazon's LOTR should that be good. I may try ESO again due to how many changes it has. Glad though there are folks who are getting what they want. Hope they have fun.

There Is Always Hope!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Arterius said:
    If WoW classic is actually a success Blizzard is not going to sit on it and let it go the way of the dodo. Classic will be expanded on. I have said forever that Blizzard is not the company it once was so we could very well see expansions being added to WoW classic that are new content never seen before. Make WoW classic more of WoW 2 or a kind of what if universe.

Their is no way if this thing is a cash cow and brings subs back they don't capitalize on it in someway.
    Unlikely to be considered before TBC and WotLK are recreated. Blizzard has already talked about those expansions as possibilities while there is zero discussion on expanding Classic itself. I am not however predicting that Classic may never gain additional content.
    [Deleted User]Axxar

You stay sassy!

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

jgn77 said:

I love how many people think it will fail because they aren't 20 and in college anymore. Here's the thing, they've made more 20 year olds to replace you in the last 15 years. So just because you can't play 8 hours anymore doesn't mean some college kid out there can't.

Pshyeah right, how are they going to have time to play wow with all their social media obligations!
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Arterius said:
    If WoW classic is actually a success Blizzard is not going to sit on it and let it go the way of the dodo. Classic will be expanded on. I have said forever that Blizzard is not the company it once was so we could very well see expansions being added to WoW classic that are new content never seen before. Make WoW classic more of WoW 2 or a kind of what if universe.

Their is no way if this thing is a cash cow and brings subs back they don't capitalize on it in someway.
    lol u put too much faith on classic 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I can't believe people are not burnt out on this game....The thought of leveling yet again in that game is terrifying to me. I did so many quests in that gmae that by the time I left I never wanted to see a quest again.
    [Deleted User]
  • jmalminjmalmin Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Its going to be nice for this be released. that way I wont have to hear to much talk about classic going forward. it will be awesome for a bit, then people will leave it behind very quickly. Classic is not for me and I cant wait for it to be out.
    [Deleted User]Axxar
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    It's like people can't move on to other games. I'm long gone to other F2P titles. This WoW Classic stuff just shows how addicted WoW players are and will be getting bloodsucked dry until empty husks. The best thing Blizz can do is delay launch, it will actually help the addicted.
    [Deleted User]Axxar
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited July 2019
    nyxium said:
    It's like people can't move on to other games. I'm long gone to other F2P titles. This WoW Classic stuff just shows how addicted WoW players are and will be getting bloodsucked dry until empty husks. The best thing Blizz can do is delay launch, it will actually help the addicted.
    People have different interest. I can actually play classic Everquest for months and would still be on P99 if not for the way the server is unfortunately locked down by certain guilds in end game. There is absolutely nothing wrong or critique worthy for the addiction people have to a certain play style. Why should anyone's play style or choice of game be a subject for ridicule.

Do these players have an impact on the games you play or are you of the opinion that if not for WoW other games would be more successful. 

There are so many things in life where we indeed do cling to older themes and choices but that is why there is so much variety and spice in our lives.
    Chamber of Chains