Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Waiting for Classic - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageWorld of Warcraft - Waiting for Classic - MMORPG.com

We’ve now crossed into the “under a month until launch” threshold for Classic World of Warcraft, so what’s better to do while waiting, other than speculate on the effect it’ll have and look back at some of Beta?

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I think players will be disappointed because the build up has been so huge, expectations will be beyond sky high. So to avoid disappointment, skip the hype, don't talk about it all the time and let rip once play begins. :)
    FolmenWhiskeydust[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    I, too, leveled as a warrior in Vanilla. But before that, I played a warrior in EQ, and *that* sucked if you weren't in a party. Compared to EQ, leveling in WoW was a breeze! I'll probably make another one this time around, too, but right now I'm planning on starting with a NE Hunter.

I agree that no final stress test is... a bit disturbing, but not something to get seriously alarmed over. I'm looking forward to (re-)launch day.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited July 2019
    100% hype for 2-3 months then....who knows.
  • Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I think reality will set in when everyone's standing in ironforge/ogrimmar waiting for 39 other people to manually travel to molten core for the 800th time.

It wasn't fun in 2004 lol
    WhiskeydustRinswind89infomatzJeroKane
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    Was far too busy raiding in EQ2 to play WoW, so I'm going in with a fresh mind, having only ever dabbled in WoW over the years for a month here, a month there. Our community is ready to roll into Classic; we've got about 60 players already chomping at the bit, with about 25% of our community being like myself, mostly new to WoW. 

For me, I'm going in with zero nostalgia, so it's basically like playing a new game. We're estimating 3-6 months of activity before folks want to move on to something new; this has been a typical timeline for us over the past four years in our community games. We tend to roll in, play hardcore for 6-8 weeks, then trickle off until by the end of the fourth month people are ready to move on to a new game. 
    XingbairongWhiskeydust[Deleted User]AlomarKyleranAxxar
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    even with 2-3 months of having fun is more than any other game can offer me, so can't wait :)...after 2-3 months hype won't be that huge ofc most of ppl will wait for "new" content some will just leave, I don't see anything bad about this..again, it's more than any other game can offer rn
    Whiskeydustkrgwynne
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Well, i am looking forward to playing a NE Hunter again, the plan is not to do any quests other than those class quests you just can't avoid, no dungeons, no raiding, just playing WoW and enjoy the open world as its meant to be  ;)
    WhiskeydustHalibrandAethaeryninfomatzAxxar
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    My body is ready
    BruceYeeVexiusx
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    well, back in 2004 the game was hyped to bit's and pieces too so I guess where in the same situation there, and it's not like everyone is going to go back to retail ! xD so I think there will be a big spike of player that will be for 2-3 months but even after that it will hold a considerable high player base, hopefully beating retail numbers so that they can realize some of the mistakes they are doing in retail.
    krgwynne
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    edited July 2019
    I am making a Gnome Mage in honor of the great Gegon, the greatest Gnome Mage that ever existed.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I'm looking forward to it for the simple reason it brings back some challenge to WoW and to the people that say it won't last long. Well.. If you play current WoW that version doesn't take long to max out so what's the downside of playing classic besides actually working for what you get. I think the current WoW is mind numbing easy but... People enjoy it and people enjoy classic so i hope everyone gets enjoyment out of both and i want both to succeed for that reason.

To all the people that want it to die and be a failure i just ask why? It's not messing with the current version so stop being sour on something you don't like.
    krgwynneAxxar
  • Tirent000Tirent000 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Our community at MVG * Military & Veteran Gamers * are excited. I hope they come out with the server lists soon. We might as well just have both horde and alliance guilds XD with the amount we have.
    Guilds are what kept wow special in my opinion. PvP/raids/Questing/grinding are all fun aspects of wow, but doing it with a guild with people you cared about....now thats where its at!

If anyone is interested we welcome anyone over 18

http://mvg.gg
    Whiskeydust
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Personally I'm most excited about good old BG PvP and (I'm even surprising myself with this one), finding ways to make gold(I guess recent expansions have changed me A LOT).

Btw the old system did weigh performance over time you spend. If you have a good BG team you can make more honor in 2 days than someone will make in 7 days and at the end of the week what mattered on how much you will progress was your standing. In fact on our realm without our team allowing it, it was almost impossible for someone to climb to rank 14. We had to let him claim 1 standing for the week to get it and that usually happened by having us not to do almost any BG's for the week or by having him with our team and making sure he have slightly more honor than the rest.
    The time investment was kinda of a "catch up/bonus reward" for PvP. It rewarded those that didn't have a good team, but if they farmed like crazy they could get close in performance to good BG teams.
    In our BG team in order to get in you had to be at least rank 12, however close friends could get by just hiting rank 10. 2 frinds of mine(brothers) managed to hit rank 10 in a single week by taking shifts. Basically their character was in a BG for the whole week and they managed to get over 1.5mil honor(that's ridiculous for those that know what that number means). So yeah if you have the time you could possibly get an advantage, but that's only if you have A TON OF TIME otherwise playing 4-8 hours a day just isn't enough to compete even with good PvP teams that play 4 hours a day.

I personally will be super casual. I doubt that I'll even bother to get higher than rank 10(10 is fairly easy to get). Might go for higher ranks if there is a good BG team that is willing to take me otherwise my plan is to hit rank 10 and then get another char and hit rank 10 with that one and repeat this with most classes while doing some dungeons/raids for fun and farming gold for the heck of it :D
    I don't plan on seriously raiding though. Gone are the days for me when I have to be in front of the computer at a particular time every single time for weeks and months in a row.
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    does this make me young again? :p
    Rich84Axxar
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Well after all the debate about whether Vanilla WoW would ever happen or not, we are almost here.

I'm looking forward to it as a filthy casual ;) Vanilla is a lot of fun from a more innocent time in video game history.
    Halibrandpratt12200WhiskeydustkrgwynneAxxar

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• jgn77jgn77 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I love how many people think it will fail because they aren't 20 and in college anymore. Here's the thing, they've made more 20 year olds to replace you in the last 15 years. So just because you can't play 8 hours anymore doesn't mean some college kid out there can't.
    HalibrandXingbairongWhiskeydustinfomatzGyva02krgwynneAxxar
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I've played Classic on private servers in recent years, so I know what's coming and that I and others won't get bored and quit after three months.

That said, with a month still to wait, I'm going to use that time to get all my housework and paperwork done. I know I'll be a little too focused for a while once Classic launches to do that stuff.
    Whiskeydust
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    I thought i was going to be excited for this and got into the Beta and was hyped, but then i started leveling and seeing the gear, and flashbacks started happening and I realized...I hated Vanilla, the time sync, the overwhelming nature of its raiding, the Headache of attunments that required insane amounts of rep grinding (with no more than 1 or 2 dailies that is a lot of kill grinding) the horrid BIS system that makes gearing a chore, massive amounts of micro managing systems such as bags, mounts and reagents. TBH it was nostalgia for me 100% and while I will level something i will not be raiding or major PVPing and I will probably be done with it in about a month. The thing that kept me playing back int he day was all the unkowns outweighing the faults, well nothing is unknown now and the faults are front and center, ill wait till the BC and Wrath Servers to start raiding again.
    WhiskeydustJeroKane
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194

jgn77 said:

I love how many people think it will fail because they aren't 20 and in college anymore. Here's the thing, they've made more 20 year olds to replace you in the last 15 years. So just because you can't play 8 hours anymore doesn't mean some college kid out there can't.

20 y/os today don't play what 20 y/os played in 2004. Best of luck to y'all though. I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Tuor7[Deleted User]Whiskeydustinfomatzgervaise1Gyva02DrDreamAxxar

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Vanilla WoW and TBC WoW are some of the best times I had playing online. But, I am not hyped. I will wait a few months and see where this thing goes.

Blizzard is not the company it once was.
    Can they pull this off?
    Will they over monetize this?

2 very important questions (to me) that I want to see the answers to before I play this game again.
    [Deleted User]PhryTacticalZombeh
  • OhsyOhsy Member UncommonPosts: 37

I thought i was going to be excited for this and got into the Beta and was hyped, but then i started leveling and seeing the gear, and flashbacks started happening and I realized...I hated Vanilla, the time sync, the overwhelming nature of its raiding, the Headache of attunments that required insane amounts of rep grinding (with no more than 1 or 2 dailies that is a lot of kill grinding) the horrid BIS system that makes gearing a chore, massive amounts of micro managing systems such as bags, mounts and reagents. TBH it was nostalgia for me 100% and while I will level something i will not be raiding or major PVPing and I will probably be done with it in about a month. The thing that kept me playing back int he day was all the unkowns outweighing the faults, well nothing is unknown now and the faults are front and center, ill wait till the BC and Wrath Servers to start raiding again.

You just listed some of the great qualities that makes classic...classic. Many are very excited for a version that doesn't hand everything to you. Holding a certain rep level, being attuned to certain raids, being fully BIS, etc it all truly meant something in classic and was a major form of accomplishment.
    Rich84Axxar
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    People can cry all they want about how much time Classic WOW will take. These are the people that join do not belong playing MMORPGs. This is EXACTLY why MMORPGS today suck ass. You spend 1 to 2 weeks leveling then you are at end game and 2 to 4 weeks later you clear the entire content. Then you cry about how bored you are because the content is done and over will. That is because MMORPGS were NEVER designed to be something you can play for a month or two and what away. Yes some of the old MMORPGS have really stupid ass grinds, look at UO and how it could take you a year to level taming to 100% or Provoke to 100%. You might get only a .1 of a point in a week. YES this was stupid. But Vanilla WOW struck the right balance between casual and hardcore.

If you dont have time to play a game 5 to 10 hours a week then go do something else. I can spend 5 hours on a Saturday fishing if I dont have my kids on that Saturday and completed my other tasks. Its called Time Management and being ok with the hobbies you do have.
    CopperfieldXingbairongRich84Axxar
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I will be away on holiday when this game comes out and I will look forward to it when I return in September. Probably loads of 60's by the time I return. I'll be playing the class I played in 2005 a human priest.
    Scotinfomatz
    Chamber of Chains
  • seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    edited July 2019
    <blockquote class="Quote">
      <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/jgn77">jgn77</a> said:</div>
      <div class="QuoteText">I love how many people think it will fail because they aren't 20 and in college anymore. Here's the thing, they've made more 20 year olds to replace you in the last 15 years. So just because you can't play 8 hours anymore doesn't mean some college kid out there can't. </div>
    </blockquote>

The problem with your premise is today the 20 year-old would rather watch someone play the game on youtube then to play themselves.
    [Deleted User]KyleranAxxar
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Never played WoW till Cataclysm and I wasn't a fan of how easy, casual, and linear it had become compared to how it was described earlier. Looking forward to a brand new experience.
    Axxar
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red