Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best travel abilities

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2019

Well I missed this thread somehow so thanks adbot. :)

CoH super jump was cool but a bit unwieldy, super speed was a great lark possibly my favourite. Unusual mounts are another favourite, my Killer Rhino in AOC being possibly the top one.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Amathe said:
    I realize there are folks who feel most any kind of travel besides walking or perhaps riding a horse is too much. 

But what I am wondering is, what travel ability have you enjoyed the most?

For me hands down it was super jump in CoH. I couldn't get enough of it. There were nights that all I did was super jump around while chatting with my Supergroup friends. No other game has come close.

I will give an honorable mention to the disposable hang glider thingies in WoW. 
    EQ2 had leaping mounts that were pretty close to CoH super jump in my view, at least when I was playing it. I prefer flight in CoH, myself.

DCUO has some really interesting movement powers. Superspeed and Acrobatics in particular are very well done with an authentic comics feel. Flight is also well done, with speed varying with ascent and descent. On top of that, each had an associated power set that would allow you to select abilities typically associated with those movement types in DC comics, to the extent you could fill your power bar with them if so inclined. I feel these were the best movement powers I've experienced in gaming to date, with Acrobatics topping my list as a personal favourite.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    I enjoyed Istaria's teleportation gates. Those circles with blueish light - you enter and hurray, appear in some safe location. For a price, of course. And yeah, if you are with cargo disk - pay more for cargo disk.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I enjoy flying , cause i can get into place that normally impossible by walking .
    AlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I always wanted to see a Wheel of Time gate where you drastically cut down on travel it wasn't instant. It was also dangerous. 
    AlBQuirky
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Dauzqul said:
    The longer the travel the better, IMO. Distant places should feel distant.

Riding a horse in real life is extremely fun. It's fast! Crazy fast! Game horses should be just as fun. However, most in-game mounts usually offer a mere 20% boost over basic character speed.

If the worlds were big enough, true-speed horses would be a blast.
    Sounds like you're looking for Black Desert. Lots of land and high tier horses with the right abilities can move incredibly fast. 
    Travelling is something that BDO does really well, the wagons tend to be slow, though the forest path wagon is actually faster than running - but not sprinting! the fastest horses which do take time to breed and/or train, you can buy them from the horse market after all, can be up to 150-160% movement speed, further boosted by abilities such as sprint and instant accel, and gear of course, +10 horseshoes ftw! i regularly sail from Velia to Ratt, a journey even on a moderately equipped sailboat can take 45 minutes and often runs afoul of ghostships, ninesharks and other sea monsters, though only the ghost ships can actually force you to stop, usually when an inconveniently close nineshark etc. is nearby so its a case of manning the cannons and hoping you don't take too much damage before you can make a run for it! Well its not like travelling by wagon with a load of tradegoods is not without hazards either, thieves often attack while your travelling too, luckily they can't force you to stop, that unfortunately is something that only other players can do, which fortunately rarely ever happens. The life of a travelling trader can be eventsome sometimes  :p
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Best travel ability ever was at the launch of EQ2.  I forget what class I was playing but it had the ability to teleport a character to their home city.  There was no prompt to agree to be teleported.  So in PvP I would just find the healers and teleport them home.

They fixed that after a few weeks.
    Mendel

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Horizon's Istaria -- Flying as a dragon.  It was natural (more so than any mounted flying I have seen in other games) and wondrous.

Below that I will agree that super jumping in CoH was nice.

Asheron's call had decent fast travel -- portals all over the place but they all went to different places and sometimes really knowing the network meant that you could bounce three times and get there a lot faster than someone who didn't know one of the portals.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Best travel ability ever was at the launch of EQ2.  I forget what class I was playing but it had the ability to teleport a character to their home city.  There was no prompt to agree to be teleported.  So in PvP I would just find the healers and teleport them home.

I had not heard of this one.  I can imagine the forum flare-ups that that patch caused.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    all the super power travel powers, as in coh and champions online etc etc.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Mendel said:

I had not heard of this one.  I can imagine the forum flare-ups that that patch caused.

It was very epic.  Even for PvE... if someone was in your preferred area simply hide behind a tree, and teleport out their tank right after he pulled that big group.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018