Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMO in the making - MMO flight simulator, Warbirds 2020

agamennagamenn Member UncommonPosts: 67
'MicroProse announce agreement for Development and Co-Publishing of the new WarBirds 2020 World War II flight simulation..
CEO David Lagettie of MicroProse says, “I am excited to work with iEntertainment Network CEO and Co-Founder of MicroProse, ‘Wild Bill’ Stealey, to produce the next generation of WarBirds 2020 WW II combat flight simulation using new modern technology and promoting worldwide.”
Wild Bill Stealey says, “It will be fun to be working with MicroProse again to do great simulation games! We are very excited to be partnering with David and his team to update our very successful WarBirds 2020 product for WW II combat simulation fans around the world.'

laserit

Comments

• agamennagamenn Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Some info:

free to play + subscription (basic planes will be free, subscription purchasable for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month)
    unreal engine 4
    release in october this year
    no paid unlocks, lootbox etc
    some screenshots:

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Based on Steam I'm inclined to think that this isn't a new MMO in the making.

It's patch "2020" for game "Warbirds". Their last patch was "2019" this April. 
    laserit

edited July 2019
    Vrika said:

They are remaking the whole game on Unreal Engine 4, so esentialy they are making a new game, just look at those screenshots :)
    edited July 2019
    agamenn said:
    Vrika said:

They are remaking the whole game on Unreal Engine 4, so esentialy they are making a new game, just look at those screenshots :)
    I might accept that explanation for relaunching the same game once.

I won't accept it from a devs who have just launched the game as "Warbirds 2019", and before that as "Warbirds 2018", etc. They keep adding more to their existing game and launching it under new name.

Vrika said:
    agamenn said:
    Vrika said:

I won't accept it from a devs who have just launched the game as "Warbirds 2019", and before that as "Warbirds 2018", etc. They keep adding more to their existing game and launching it under new name.

Well they just called the patches like that..... they didn't realy launch the game as warbirds 2019 2018, because they have one steam page, this time they are changing the games engine.
    edited July 2019
    agamenn said:
    Vrika said:
    agamenn said:
    Vrika said:

Well they just called the patches like that..... they didn't realy launch the game as warbirds 2019 2018, because they have one steam page, this time they are changing the games engine.
    From Steam page:

"The new WarBirds 2019 has many new updates including: new terrains, more updated flight models for most of the Axis aircraft from recently discovered additional flight logs of the original aircraft; and new and improved weapon delivery systems

WarBirds 2020, expected to launch in September 2019, will bring brand new terrain, aircraft, and target art and updates...."

These are patches, or you could also call them expansions. This is not a "New MMO in the making" as you claim.

edited July 2019
    DMKano said:
    agamenn said:
    Vrika said:
    agamenn said:
    Vrika said:

Changing the game engine - but not changing the game.

So new engine, same old game.

Yea new engine, but if the old engine is 20 years old isn't it like remaking old game into new one ? I think it is.

edited July 2019
    Instead of being pessimistic can we talk about how great it is that an old school mmo (which is a real mmo) is being remade on a new engine ?

It's like Ultima Online would be remade with modern tech or Everquest.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    agamenn said:
    Instead of being pessimistic can we talk about how great it is that an old school mmo (which is a real mmo) is being remade on a new engine ?

I've not played the current game or seen much of this new one. I have one main question:

Is it actually an MMO?

By this, I mean does it support 500+ players within the same virtual environment? Or is it just calling itself an MMO but in fact has fairly standard player caps (like 50 per battle or whatever)?
    edited August 2019
    'I mean does it support 500+ players within the same virtual environment?'

Yes it does
    cameltosis
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    agamenn said:

I think it's just great
    agamenn
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    agamenn said:

Yes it does
    Is it an rpg in a persistent world? or more like MOBA with "matches"
    AAAMEOW said:
    agamenn said:

Yes it does
    Is it an rpg in a persistent world? or more like MOBA with "matches"

It is an persistent world, but it's not an rpg, it's a flight simulator.

There is a persisten war going 24/7 that lasts a few months, it starts in 1939 and goes to 1945.

Every few weeks the date goes forward and new planes get available according to the date of the war, it's pretty historical.

The goal is to bomb and capture enemy airfields taking and destroying strategic objects on the map taking over territory and winning the war.

It's an old school type game - there is no grind to unlock anything, you just play for the fun.
    Phaserlight
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Did anyone else have to check the date of this thread to make sure it wasn't a necro from years ago?
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoli
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited September 2019
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Wow, a game that looks like shit even in Unreal.

What? This is shit ?

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited September 2019
    Going to be tough to compete with War Thunder in this market. I can't see how anyone could improve upon or compete with what they are doing/have done with that game. 

WWII
    War Sim
    I'll check it out but again, i can't see this competing with WT
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

It's totally different from war thunder....... it's like comparing call of duty and battlefield series, when you will try it out, you will know.
    Robokapp said:
    what's the persistent world like at endgame? how will large-scale player actions impact the world?

Endgame is whatever the players make it out to be, because everything is player dependant.

What do you mean by large scale player actions?

edited September 2019
    Robokapp said:
    agamenn said:
    Robokapp said:
    what's the persistent world like at endgame? how will large-scale player actions impact the world?

Endgame is whatever the players make it out to be, because everything is player dependant.

What do you mean by large scale player actions?

I mean I was wondering what the massively-multiplayer portion is like. Do you organize fleet battles like in EVE over territory control for raw materials and infrastructure that you can use to build new planes with or...

Territory is controlled by controlling airfields, there are 3 types of airfield, big medium small, they differ in ammount of targets they have to destroy, in order to capture an airfield you have to close it first, to close an airfield, you have to destroy every target on the airfield (hangars, fuel depots, anti air, static ground targets, ammo depots)., once you destroy a target, it will re-spawn after some time depending on the type of weapon you destroy it with, biggest bombs make it re-spawn the longest but can be carried only by heaviest bombers that you have to fly up high so the fighter planes won't get you that easy and you have to carpet bomb using norden (google norden if you have no knowledge of it) (when you pick a heavy bomber as opposed to a fighter plane, you get 2 'ai drones' which follow you, which means that 2 bombers follow you, they do the same thing that you do, they fly in the same direction and drop bombs when you do, they also fire on incoming enemy planes, it's pretty fun to fly a bomber because of this, and it's not so easy to kill you unless a swarm of planes attack you.
    The lowest re-spawn for a ground target is being destroyed from plane guns. There are plenty of bomb and rocket types, ranging from 4000kg 2000 1000 500 250 100 50 bombs and rockets. Planes have historic loadouts and guns like you would expect.
    Once all the targets on the airfield are 'down', you can capture it, in order to capture it, someone have to fly in a transport plane with paratroopers, once he is over the field, he drops the paratroopers and they capture it, and the field is taken and territory is moved, that's the basic concent of gameplay.

Everything is organized by the players, the organize raids on airfield or you can just fly solo looking for action, you can start a big battle for an airfield by yourself by just starting to attack the airfield, you can even take a small airfield by yourself if there will be no opposition but it's tricky, you can attack the airfield with a fighter plane with bombs and rockets or a heavy bomber.
    Or you don't have to attack airfields at all and just look for action attacking or defending from other players.

It's very fun, it's the only game in existence with gameplay like this.

The war goes from 1939 to 1945 just like real war, all the planes are unlocked according to the date they were introduced in reality so everything is historic. An in-game year lasts a few weeks, so the war lasts about a few months real time, if a side wins the war before 1945, the map gets a reset and the side gets a 'win' and the war continues to 1945, once it hits 1945, the war ends, the score is summed up and it resets back to 1939.

There's also different tactics that players can utilise,, first there is a radar, you are visible on the map if you attack the airfield and are above certain altitude, the radar is on the airfield and it can be destroyed, one of the tactics is known as NOE (nap of the earth), what this means is, that players fly below the radar range (below 100 meters altitude) right up to the airfield so they are not seen on the map, they emerge near the airfield and knock out the radar first so the opposition is blind for the attack on the airfield.

and that is the old version...... the new version that will release is supposed to have plenty of improvements.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    agamenn said:
    It's totally different from war thunder....... it's like comparing call of duty and battlefield series, when you will try it out, you will know.
    You know, Call of Duty and Battlefield are pretty similar...
    [Deleted User]

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

agamenn said:
    You know, Call of Duty and Battlefield are pretty similar...

Ok so it's like comparing planetside 2 and ww2 online, both are shooters but are different.
    Phaserlight