Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are all the new players? Why is chat so dead?

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 514
GW2 actually legit feels dead. If its top end heavy, that means its like EQ2 and getting barely any new players and everyones at the top...but that means a top heavy game isn't growing which leads to death.

I can be in divinity's reach, the human starting area, any starting area and the game is so quiet. No one is chatting. Johhny depp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmVzDXe1sN4 Sometimes people chat, but it isn't like a year ago when I played last where the game felt super busy

GW2 I'm pretty sure isn't top 5 MMOs anymore.

Compared to WoW/BDO or ESO or even FFXIV, people everywhere in all 4 and people chatting on almost every server. There is rarely a moment of quietness in any of them

GW2, it feels like the game population has tanked. And if everyone is at the max level zones, it still means it isn't getting new players. I am genuinelly sad, because I wanted to enjoy it, but I was in so many zones and chat was literally dead

last year? Complete opposite. Game chat was alive, people everywhere. Dunno what happened the past year...but it isn't looking good for GW2
Bilgato

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Nothing dead this is just the usual calm in between expansions.

If you go to areas like Rata Sum you will still find roleplayers sticking to their roles but they do it in local chat so you won't hear them unless you are near.

You probably saw the charts from the previous expansions.
    The population spikes after the releases.
    For now it's just at a naturally low point until they announce something big again.

Meanwhile everyone else is out there farming the new mount / the new legendary.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Was packed when I logged in yesterday for a peek to see if it was dead. They were farming something and everyone was doing it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited July 2019
    There aren't many "new" players, IME.

Next expansion isn't due for a while, so that "calm" is going to be there for a while if that is the case.

Game population has definitely died since it was newer.  That's why they made the base game F2P.  To get more people to play, and hopefully buy the expansions and continue playing.

But it feels rough leveling up a new character without the kind of player population it used to have.

Most veterans have items that allow them to skip the first 20-40+ levels instantly (Tomes of Knowledge, etc.), if not all of them (Character Level Boost straight to 80).
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    The population is fine.  Most people either zip right through beginner areas or use the level 20 insta scroll to bypass the areas all together.  I've found that as I am leveling up there are players all over the place but I do agree many of them are at max level in chapter or expansion areas.
    Tokken
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Darksworm said:

Next expansion isn't due for a while, so that "calm" is going to be there for a while if that is the case.

Not arguing with that - it's going to take a while.

I don't think this is unusual for a 6 year old game though is it?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Divinity's Reach has always been kinda quiet unless some festival was going on.

If you want chat and chatter, Lion's Arch is the place to be.

And given I think they gave away max level boosters to anyone who buys the expansions, that means anyone that bought the game can be max level in a single button press, so, using starter areas a metric don't really work, that would only apply to new-free accounts with IIRC have limited world chat abilities to keep down spam and gold sellers.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    What is GW2 doing to recruit new players? I see nothing....ever....from ArenaNet about this game. I stopped playing long ago after WvW was clearly going to be the perpetual red-headed stepchild of the game. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

The Fat Lady is clearing her throat.... ... .. .
    Phrygunklacker[Deleted User]
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    They are all in FFXIV. There are que times all day everyday, not long ones, but they are still there. The community is growing like mad. I played at release and it sucked. Just came back and it is a completely different game. Hands down one of the best on the market today.
    Phry

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • jsavingjsaving Member UncommonPosts: 2
    There'll be enough events that people will be able to tell themselves there's hope for the future, but actions speak louder than words and axing half the staff doesn't leave them with enough personnel to do anything more than maintain the game and hope micro-transactions come in.

A very sad end to what was once a great game.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not sure what it would take to revitalise the game, at the moment the competition is just too strong, maybe in a few months GW2 could release some kind of expac that might tempt players away from other games again, it really all depends on how well both FFXIV and WoW Classic are doing imo, though if ESO were to release another expansion of some kind or a new class etc. then i think GW2 might just as well be put out to pasture, if it hasn't been already? :/
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited August 2019
    jsaving said:
    There'll be enough events that people will be able to tell themselves there's hope for the future, but actions speak louder than words and axing half the staff doesn't leave them with enough personnel to do anything more than maintain the game and hope micro-transactions come in.

A very sad end to what was once a great game.
    What also sad is their scammy practices..  for example I just found out my core account that I bought before f2p was a thing is now considered a f2p account when it comes to sales like the anniversary saler so  certain pack I am not allowed to buy because apparantly you need to have bought atleast one expansion not to be f2p.

Last I looked I bought the fucking game as a b2p game...even trion didn't try this kind of BS when defiance went f2p.....losing respect for this company very very fast.....

From support,

“The Path of Fire preparation pack is only purchasable if your account isn't Free-to-play. It's a little weird, but if an account was bought before the game changed to the F2P model in 2015, then your account's considered F2P until you buy an expansion.”

Baalzharon

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    How old is that game 10 years or more?  How could there be new players?
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    edited August 2019
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914

Ur right i also tryed gw 2 becaus eits on the top 5 list in here but this hype list in here is outdated and not accurate..i dont even know who or where they get the hype ratings from.

RIP gw 2

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited August 2019
    Krimzin said:
    They are all in FFXIV. There are que times all day everyday, not long ones, but they are still there. The community is growing like mad. I played at release and it sucked. Just came back and it is a completely different game. Hands down one of the best on the market today.
    This ^

FFXIV servers are cram packed these days and seems to be growing continuously. I see people everywhere I go, literally every zone I goto, I see people.  Some more than others like cities and hubs.  Every city and hub is jam packed with people.  The latest expansions probably one of its better ones too, at least from a story aspect(Still too early in the expansions life to discuss overall content).  Its reviews speak for itself also.  A highly highly rated expansion.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Go to Auction house areas and you will see a lot of players.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    goboygo said:
    How old is that game 10 years or more?  How could there be new players?
    Some of us bought the core game but didn't play much and just returned and other just never gave it a try.

Surprisingly there's quite a few new players being added to the single guild I have joined so far.  Funny thing is Anet will probably lose them with the stupid effing restrictions when they go to buy certain things in the gem shop...lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.