Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To Devs: These are NOT F***ing Single Player Games

Comments

• ladyloreladylore Member Posts: 126

FYI - numbers 1 and 3 aren't real "reasons", those are your opinions
    More then just my opinions, they have said to their customers they need to improve alot on their communication. One of their new producers (or w/e) said that gamers only want to "Kill, loot, repeat" , not me.
    Saying you need to improve in something obviously implies that they care at least a "little" about the customer.  And...a lot of EQ gamers DO only want to kill, loot and repeat.  My point is that these things being bad things is just your opinion.

2 is a matter of perspective
    Looking at something in a different perspective doesn't necessarily make it incorrect.Nope.  But it doesn't necessarily make it correct, either.  Regardless of if it is correct or not - it is STILL just your perspective. 

and 4 means they made a mistake, not that SOE "couldn't care less".  You basically proved the point that the person you were responding to was making about where the SOE hate comes from.

A mistake? it was alot more then just a mistake, they had 5 months to tell their customers and they chose not to. Telling your customers something is in the game and having them work hard towards something that isn't even there is just pathetic. These same decisions cost them their SWG playerbase, and also the trust of other gamers who are researching on games made by SOE.

All of that content that EQ has been adding to their game for all of these years, and you really want to harp on one mistake that took a half a year to correct?  Out of all of the expansion and adventure packs that I've purchased and played from SOE I can't recall feeling that they blatantly lied about something being there and then it wasn't other than this instance you point out. 

My point is - you are simply angry, and you have every right to feel how you want to feel, but your "points" made don't really justify it.  But hey - that is just my opinion, and in the grand scheme of things, I figure it matters just about as much as yours does.  In other words...not very much.

• RanddRandd Member Posts: 409
    I'm not going join into the soe arguement, I personally am very wary of giving them more business even though Vanguard has had my interest for a long time. Anyway my thoughts on soloing, when i'm in a steady game i generally group nightly, whether for pvp, raids or just plain hunting. On the other hand while i'm having my morning coffee before work or i have only half an hour before i go out i'd like to be able to go out and kill something or doing some exploring or whatever. I dont want to solo the whole game, but there are times where i just want to unwind alone. Why does it seem that people get angry when gamers want it all? We are paying, and if you dont have what i'm looking for i'm moving on.
  • thoreauthoreau Member Posts: 84
    Life is a MMO but I prefer to solo. Therefore, I am thankful for all the solo content life has.

Just because there are a lot of people online in game that means nothing about whether those people need to interact with each other. MMOs are interesting because the more people online the more the world might be changed between log-ins.

The OP is basically wrong in every premise of his argument.  

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    The thing is that the majority of people who play MMOs prefer to solo most of the time due to time constraints and prior bad experiences when working in groups.  Why then do people play MMOs?  I think it's because when you have other real players around, it makes the game world seem more real, and it really helps to draw you into the game much more than in a SP game, typically. 

Games that require forced grouping (say, DDO) will always be somewhat niche games because a lot of folks are just going to say "I will not play a game where I must group in order to have a chance", when they have limited time to play, or just don't feel like grouping with random people.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613
    they forgot all social aspects of life spending 2-5 years making a game......

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ChaosKinChaosKin Member Posts: 50
    I'm just going to chime in with a quick, I agree with Elnator 100 percent.  TTFN.

Bringing Chaos to your locale.

• infra172infra172 Member UncommonPosts: 145

O.K.  People who didn't read my post seem to have missed the point.  This isn't about how the game is programmed.  It isn't an instance/anti-instance debate.  The point I was trying to make was that the MMORPGs are mostly driven by people who want to play games with friends over the internet and that a game can't be successful if you only capture a small percentage of the MMORPG market.  If your friends are all playing WoW, why would you waste your money on Everquest II or Vanguard?  I'm frustrated because the companies coming out with new games keep pissing everybody off with delays and broken promisses.  Vanguard, Dark and Light, the Chronicle have 0% chance of success because, even if these games are programmed perfectly, not enough people will buy it to create the community necessary to hold onto their customers.  WoW is successful because everybody plays WoW.  Vanguard stood a chance of being the next WoW but everybody who played Star Wars Galaxies won't want any of their money going to Sony.

F*ck Sony.  Had to curse a little so you know its really me.

blank

"Everybody plays WoW" ????

I played it.. didn't like it and left it.  But I don't bash it.  Vanguard will amass a following just like every other MMO released and people will decide for themselves if they will stay.  I played SWG too, until the developers messed it up for me, but again.. I won't bash it.  It just wasn't for me anymore.

I was borderline on my decision until Sigil decided to let SOE handle the distribution and SOE decided to put it on Access.  Why does that nudge me toward Vanguard you might ask, because it means I will only be paying the initial purchase price and my monthy subscription fees will not be increasing because I only quit one SOE product but still play two others..  Yay!

Wow.  That's bold of you to admit that you actually pay for the crap SOE dishes out these days.

ChaosKin has hit ChaosKin for 142 points of Geek Cred damage.

blank

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    edited

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• JoebertJoebert Member Posts: 78

I solo in most MMOG's like most here seem to do. I do like to see others moving about and doing things in the world I am in. Even though I am pursuing my own goals etc, it gives somewhat a feeling of community to see and know others are there doing some of the same things. Also good to know one can interact if needed or desired.

I do agree with some of the OP's other statements and understand the frustration some game companies needlessly cause many of us.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

I play MMORPG's to solo. Since I want MY adventure not a part of others.

To me everything BESIDE the soloing counts in a MMORPG. To have a fun game and the feeling of "i can invite actual people and sell my items to real people <If i want to>"

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• axeptaxept Member Posts: 105
    Well this is just stupid. Ofcourse ppl want to play solo, but not all the time. And then u have them that are very interested in markets and crafting. They are pretty much solo.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Yep, community is everything in an MMORPG which is why The Sims and There have such ASTRONOMICALLY HUGE numbers of subscribers....

Actually I agree with you to a fault. We do play online / multiplayer games in order to play with or against others. However, in co-op games there is a need for solid teamwork and a knowledge of the game. Not everone is a team player or willing to contribute endless hours learning every little detail of this or that game. Another thing to consider is that LFG is a BIG pain in the ass. The only game that really handles this well is CoH. In CoH you can set a flag on your character saying whether you want to run a mission, farm, PvP, etc and you can search all the players in your area by level, class and what they're looking to do. With this system, you can put together a group in 5 minutes flat! I'm really shocked that more MMORPGs haven't added something similar to this. So there's part of the problem solved if the rest of the MMO industry would adopt that system.

The other part of the problem is that some people just want an extended chat room. There's really nothing wrong with this, but most MMORPGs don't seem to do anything to help people be social outside of quests and dungeons. Even adding something as simple as dice could go a long way in helping people do things other than bonk monsters with sharp pointy things all day. I believe that SWG originally allowed people to compose music. And how hard would it be to put a simple paint interface into a game and let people make there own emblems or prints for their clothes and armour? There are a lot of things that these companies could do to make MMORPGs more social, but they don't do it even though the main draw of the game is (supposedly) the community.

I'm not going to get into the whole SOE thing. There are more than enough "evil" corporations out there that get my money so that they can fuck up the world a little more, what's the big deal with another one taking some of my check? I would love to join you on your crusade against SOE, but I shop at Wal-Mart and eat at McDonald's every now and again. I live in a glass house on this one.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Tymora

You had me until you went off on SOE.  You stated some facts and made some good points, but your statements about SOE are your opinions some are just false statements.  SOE has made mistakes, but they are still a successful company that has a couple of very successful mmorpgs.  There are many players still enjoying these games, the servers are not graveyards.  Vanguardwill be a success and Sigil will prosper from their cooperation with SOE.  SOE fits more in their scheme of things, and as long as Sigil calls the shots, we should not have to worry about bad decisions from SOE.
    Most of your other points I agree with, although you seem a little too angry . . . things are not that bad in the mmorpg community yet, and I believe that mmorpgs like Vanguard will turn things back in a good way.

What a great post. Just wanted to quote it for being very level headed and objective and I agree with it.

I think a perfect MMORPG is one that does give the ability to solo, but not the abitlity to solo to the top. Soloing should be a viable way for people with a short time to play accomplish something. I like how Vanguard is laying it out: 20% solo, 20% raid and 60% group content. That sounds great to me.

• Suta_SafaiaSuta_Safaia Member Posts: 101
    I can see where your coming from, OP, but some people DO play the games to solo.  I'm one of them :P  If you don't like games where you can solo, go play another one.  Unfortunately, that's really the only option in today's current market for MMORPGs.  Find one that fits your playstyle, and go play it.  I'll stick to my MMORPGs that allow soloing, thanks.  I tend to play those games for the player economy and player interaction, not the player grouping.  To many idiots play these games and get you killed when you group with them, so i'll stick to the one person I know I can rely on to get me through a battle alive :P
  • Crash86Crash86 Member Posts: 125

Here's why I like solo play in MMO games. 

When you play a single player game, you are in for a linear experience. You will be led down a path from beginning to end. While some games like NWN or KoTOR make it more interesting by creating a branch here or there, but when it's all said and done you've moved in a linear progression from start to finish just the way the developers have intended you to.

Compare that to a persistant world game, say EQ. If I decide today want to try to take my level 1 character into a level 30 dungeon just to see how far down he can sneak before he gets killed, I can do that. Back when EQ was new, we would do things like have a bunch of folks all create lvl 1 gnomes and race from Steamfont to Qeynos just to see who could get there first. Or, conversely, take a group of level 60+ characters into a level 15 dungeon just to see how fast we could clean it out.

Those things aren't linear at all. The designers of the game did not intend for those things to be done. But those types of things are some of the most fun times I've had as a gamer in years.

Now, why would I play a linear single player game the way some developer makes me play it when I could play a MMO game in an alinear way the way I want to play it? That's why people (and a good number of people from the way this topic keeps cropping up) solo in MMO games.

The only thing that makes me play single player games anymore is a compelling storyline. I want to complete the level to advance the story.

I enjoy the multiplayer aspect in other ways.  Guildchat, zone chat, helping out a newbie, buffing, handing down old gear to someone, watching a close fight then stepping in to finish the mob so that the player gets their XP after a hard fought battle (but only if they're about to lose ... if they're looking good I stay out of it and /cheer them when they're done) ... those are the ways I enjoy the Multiplayer aspect of a game. 

I do group from time to time ... I'm not a hermit.  It's just that after a long day of being fed to the wolves, I want to bite the wolves back.  And a lot of the time my mood isn't such that I'm fit for socialization when the night starts ... hunting normally improves my mood.  My guildies know me and take me with a grain of salt when I'm grumpy.  Someone I just met on the other end of a group invite may not.

I've said this so many times and in so many places that I have it in a Word document so that I don't have to type it up any longer.

I'm going to put this in caps and red text so that I only have to say this once:

READ MY F*CKING POST!  THIS IS NOT A SOLO vs GROUPING DEBATE!  IT IS NOT AN INSTANCE vs NON-INSTANCE DEBATE!  THIS TOPIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW GAMES ARE PROGRAMMED OR HOW PEOPLE PLAY THEM!

The point I was trying to make is this (for the last f*cking time please read what I wrote before posting you idiots):

Most people play MMORPGs to play with their friends.  If your friends are pissed off with delays or broken feature promises and don't play the game, neither will you.  Whether the game is any good is irrelevant because not enough people will ever give them a chance.  This explains the current state of MMORPGs.  Everybody has friends who play WoW so, when they buy a MMORPG, they buy WoW.  Vanguard will be a failure because too many people hate SOE.  Dark and Light is a failure because the devs are running a ponzi scheme. 

So please no posts saying stuff like:  "I like to solo in games" or "I don't like instances".  Don't just read the title and assume you know what the post is about.  Read the f*cking posts.

blank

• FaemusFaemus Member Posts: 321

I don't really like instances and I solo in games a lot. . . Ha jk. Take a pill infra.

-- I need a nerf --

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

Originally posted by infra172
    A MMORPG is a massively MULTIPLAYER online role playing game.  See how I capitalized "multiplayer"?  Good.  Its important.

What is wrong with you people?  People don't play MMORPGs to solo.  They play MMORPGs to cooperate or play against other players.  When somebody logs into an online world, they should see real people walking around doing things.  They shouldn't roam empty cities completing tedious tasks without any real human interraction.  That's why we pay f***ing subscriptions.  We don't pay subscriptions to play a single player game! 

This rant has little to do with how you program the games.  Its about your interraction with the MMORPG community.  The community pays your f***ing bill.  The community makes or breaks games.  Make the community happy or your game will be a failure.  Is that too hard a concept?  Want me to slow down for you?  Summary: DONT PISS OFF THE MMORPG COMMUNITY!

DO NOT delay your game and use the excuse that you want to implement new features.  We're not going to wait for you to finish the game.  So spend a little less time playing solitaire and a little more time doing your f***ing job.

DO NOT be or associate yourself with Sony Online Entertainment.  Vanguard just committed suicide.  SOE has a terrible track record.  They make terrible games and they ruin good ones.  SOE servers are graveyards.  There's no community (remember that, a**hole?).  The only people playing them are the stubborn ones who won't admit they made a terrible mistake.

DO NOT promise features you cannot implement.  Case and point: Dark and Light.  They've spent the past three years keeping people from realising they have no idea how to program.  If you lie to the community, either nobody will buy your game or it'll be dead in the first month.  But maybe if you're from Reunion Island and you use dogs as shark bait, surviving a month after game release is aiming high.

DO NOT take preorders unless release is certain.  This is a no brainer.  But that doesn't really help you now does it?  If you take preorders for a game and then delay it, you look like a thief.  Doesn't matter if you really are.  You look like one.  People get nervous.  They stop telling their friends "hear about that cool new game coming out" and start telling them "I heard that company is ripping off everybody". 

You are developing a MMORPG.  When someone buys your game they're expecting to get months or years of gameplay out of it.  People don't buy your game because they see it on the shelf.  They play the games their friends play.  Your industry is 100% reliant on word of mouth.  So pay just a little f***ing attention to your f***ing customers.  O.K.?

how many times does it have to be said? MMO satnds for Massively Multiplayer Online

Multiplayer does not mean or imply that you HAVE to group or play with other people. It means that there are other people playing the game at the same time and on the same server as you. Sure, i think most of the fun comes from playing with other people. sometimes people can't play in a group all the time because of time constraints or something like that. also, a lot of people in mmos can be real jerks.

hey, cod2, ut2k4, quake 4, fear, C&C, AOE3 are multiplayer, that must mean we have to play in groups, right? it says MULTIPLAYER...

STFU and stop worrying about how other people want to play a game. it doesn't affect you, why do you care? if more people would mind their own damn business instead of worrying that joe shmoe can only play for an hour a day but likes to play a game that his friends do or likes to interact with other people while playing, but not in a group setting, or that bob shmob has an uber leet 2 handed sword of uber leetness +20 and you don't - this world might be a better place.

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

Vanguard will be a failure because too many people hate SOE.  Dark and Light is a failure because the devs are running a ponzi scheme. 

So please no posts saying stuff like:  "I like to solo in games" or "I don't like instances".  Don't just read the title and assume you know what the post is about.  Read the f*cking posts.

uh, maybe you should change your title so people know wtf you're talking about.
  • MorningriseMorningrise Member Posts: 8

A MMORPG is a massively MULTIPLAYER online role playing game. See how I capitalized "multiplayer"? Good. Its important.

What is wrong with you people? People don't play MMORPGs to solo. They play MMORPGs to cooperate or play against other players. When somebody logs into an online world, they should see real people walking around doing things. They shouldn't roam empty cities completing tedious tasks without any real human interraction. That's why we pay f***ing subscriptions. We don't pay subscriptions to play a single player game!

This rant has little to do with how you program the games. Its about your interraction with the MMORPG community. The community pays your f***ing bill. The community makes or breaks games. Make the community happy or your game will be a failure. Is that too hard a concept? Want me to slow down for you? Summary: DONT PISS OFF THE MMORPG COMMUNITY!

I disagree with your opinion. Please speak for yourself, and don't act like you're speaking for the MMO community, because you're a minority.

Every MMO on the market is multiplayer. Massively Multiplayer does not equal Massively Forced-Grouping.

No game should FORCE YOU to play a certain way.

I'm not in middle school anymore, I can't devote my life to playing video games. A game that forces you to depend on others is going to fail. My game experience and entertainment shouldn't lay solely in the hands of other people, especially when I bought the game and pay monthly for it. When I log and have an hour to play, I don't need to see that none of my friends are online, therefore I can't play the game. Nobody would play the game.

In short, be courteous. Stop being be an arrogant fool.

• upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154
    They're going to have to start making grouping up a lot easier then.

In a lot of the MMO's I've played getting in a group for the multiplayer content is hard.  It gets boring standing around trying to put a group together and finding out an hour has passed by before you even get to the content you were looking to do.

I usually log off before then.

--------------------------------------
    image image

Originally posted by Crash86

Here's why I like solo play in MMO games. 
    When you play a single player game, you are in for a linear experience. You will be led down a path from beginning to end. While some games like NWN or KoTOR make it more interesting by creating a branch here or there, but when it's all said and done you've moved in a linear progression from start to finish just the way the developers have intended you to.

Compare that to a persistant world game, say EQ. If I decide today want to try to take my level 1 character into a level 30 dungeon just to see how far down he can sneak before he gets killed, I can do that. Back when EQ was new, we would do things like have a bunch of folks all create lvl 1 gnomes and race from Steamfont to Qeynos just to see who could get there first. Or, conversely, take a group of level 60+ characters into a level 15 dungeon just to see how fast we could clean it out.

Those things aren't linear at all. The designers of the game did not intend for those things to be done. But those types of things are some of the most fun times I've had as a gamer in years.

Now, why would I play a linear single player game the way some developer makes me play it when I could play a MMO game in an alinear way the way I want to play it? That's why people (and a good number of people from the way this topic keeps cropping up) solo in MMO games.

The only thing that makes me play single player games anymore is a compelling storyline. I want to complete the level to advance the story.
    I enjoy the multiplayer aspect in other ways.  Guildchat, zone chat, helping out a newbie, buffing, handing down old gear to someone, watching a close fight then stepping in to finish the mob so that the player gets their XP after a hard fought battle (but only if they're about to lose ... if they're looking good I stay out of it and /cheer them when they're done) ... those are the ways I enjoy the Multiplayer aspect of a game. 
    I do group from time to time ... I'm not a hermit.  It's just that after a long day of being fed to the wolves, I want to bite the wolves back.  And a lot of the time my mood isn't such that I'm fit for socialization when the night starts ... hunting normally improves my mood.  My guildies know me and take me with a grain of salt when I'm grumpy.  Someone I just met on the other end of a group invite may not.
    I've said this so many times and in so many places that I have it in a Word document so that I don't have to type it up any longer.

Well said Crash, and for the love of gaming.. GNOME RACES was a great way to do a staged, live Event.... First one gets FREE GEAR or .. beer!

Good luck and good gaming.  Cheers!

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

I'm going to put this in caps and red text so that I only have to say this once:

READ MY F*CKING POST!  THIS IS NOT A SOLO vs GROUPING DEBATE!  IT IS NOT AN INSTANCE vs NON-INSTANCE DEBATE!  THIS TOPIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW GAMES ARE PROGRAMMED OR HOW PEOPLE PLAY THEM!
    The point I was trying to make is this (for the last f*cking time please read what I wrote before posting you idiots):

Most people play MMORPGs to play with their friends.  If your friends are pissed off with delays or broken feature promises and don't play the game, neither will you.  Whether the game is any good is irrelevant because not enough people will ever give them a chance.  This explains the current state of MMORPGs.  Everybody has friends who play WoW so, when they buy a MMORPG, they buy WoW.  Vanguard will be a failure because too many people hate SOE.  Dark and Light is a failure because the devs are running a ponzi scheme. 

Yeah how stupid could they be. There wasn't anything in your first post about soloing .....

What is wrong with you people?  People don't play MMORPGs to solo.