Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta Tester

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 5,500
edited July 25 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
That term used to mean something. Players would be following info on MMORPGs and when they announced "beta testing", many flocked to be lucky enough to get picked. Usually, it was near release (actual BETA step) and most of it was just server load testing. It was not "fun" for most, but players got a "preview" of the game.

Now, "beta testing" is more likely "alpha testing", with quite a bit of time before release. It's also purchasable, many times as a pre-order.

Do you recall the first game you got lucky enough to beta test?

Mine was Dungeons & Dragons Online. I recall being so hyped up for that! The game disillusioned me, though. It "vaguely resembled" the tabletop game I wanted. i realize much of it needed to be "video gamified" in order to attract players, though. Who wants to play a spell caster that gets to start off with just one spell each day.

The last game I beta tested was ES:O. After that disillusionment, I have stopped beta testing and just wait for actual releases :)

Again, do you recall your first beta test for an MMO?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR


(And now Burger King has MEATLESS burgers!)

ScotAmatheHatefullSandmanjw
«1

Comments

  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,025
    Yeah it was Pirates Of the Caribbean Online when I was  15 or 16. I didn't tell my parents I signed up for it because they wouldn't let me play MMO's. When I actually got accepted I told them I was testing a single player game. They didn't question. Probably because I didn't lie often as a kid. I was so excited to jump in and check out the game and those 2 weeks or so are some of my fondest gaming memories. Years later when I got back into gaming I wanted to see what was up with the game and its dead. RIP PotC Online.
    AlBQuirky
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,470
    The first REAL beta test (meaning game is a year+ pre-release with the whole NDAs and all) would be Vanguard.

    Vanguard was sooo much better systemwise 15 months before release, and had the promise of being truly special.
    AlBQuirky
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 986
    Tribes 2 was the first game I beta tested.  The first MMORPG I beta tested was City of Heroes.
    AlBQuirky


    The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!


  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,350
    I only applied for a few betas back in the day but none of them ever accepted me, probably could tell I would bring about the doom of their game.

    ;)

    I did get into a few paid betas later (i.e. LOTRO) where I found myself being annoyed by their flaws or quickly burning out shortly after launch.

    For over 10 years now I've waited until a game releases before playing, sometimes preferring to wait 6 months to a year after even so things get all settled out.

    ArcheAge "alpha" was a rare exception but no regrets as that short early access period was arguably the game's best days, at least here in NA.
    RhoklawHatefullAlBQuirky

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,561
    Kyleran said:
    I only applied for a few betas back in the day but none of them ever accepted me, probably could tell I would bring about the doom of their game.

    ;)

    I did get into a few paid betas later (i.e. LOTRO) where I found myself being annoyed by their flaws or quickly burning out shortly after launch.

    For over 10 years now I've waited until a game releases before playing, sometimes preferring to wait 6 months to a year after even so things get all settled out.

    ArcheAge "alpha" was a rare exception but no regrets as that short early access period was arguably the game's best days, at least here in NA.
    ArcheAge Founder's Alpha was pretty much a dream come true for a lot of us. Best 3 months of my gaming life.
    KyleranHatefullAlBQuirky

  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 1,998
    My first beta test was game called priston tale , i wasn't in beta test before it .
    any test phase that don't reset server is not test
    beta test (server wipe/reset)> game relese (mass number test no server wipe) > commercial
    MMORPG genre used to be like this .

    NycteliosAlBQuirky
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 504
    Everquest was my 1st beta test. I did not know much about it but I was excited for the "3d" game play as I was an avid player of The Realm Online at the time which was a 2d MMO. 
    AlBQuirky
  • TheriexTheriex Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Ultima Online I believe was the first beta I got into.  Some time around 1997 I believe.  I still remember the CD, not sure what happened to it though.
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,315
    edited July 25
    AlBQuirky said:


    Do you recall the first game you got lucky enough to beta test?


    Masters of Orion III

    There was a quiz where you had to name all the races based on their pictures. They used to send me builds by UPS (or fedex something like that)

    First mmorpg beta was actually world of warcraft.
    KyleranAlBQuirky



  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,080
    I never beta test because it the launch is not so fun when you have done it all before, but I applaud those that do, or should I say did?
    KyleranAlBQuirky

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,884
    edited July 25
      Testing history is long and current ..

       Started with (1994) Neverwinter ...  Meridian 59   .. UO , EQ ..etc...


        Also Internal Tech Tester for EQ2 , PS , PS2 ... DAoC ... LOTRO , Warhammer , SWTOR .. etc .. and have been a paid tester ..

      Currently testing several games  , and for the thread only listing MMOs ,, current testing of single/coop games also

      Its not for everyone , and many times Not fun ,  not the kind (of fun)that players are looking for .. More like work at times .. 

      But i enjoy it
    SovrathKyleranAmathe
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,990
    I beta tested SWG at a late stage. There wasn't a lot for me to do at that point, so I just rolled character after character to see what I might want to play at launch. I reported a few bugs, but the area where I was playing was done, mostly.

    I briefly beta tested Auto Assault and thought it was a complete piece of shit. I didn't stay in it long.

    I beta tested Vanguard for a while. For whatever reason I didn't experience the disconnectivity many people later complained of. What I did experience (and this is just my personal opinion) was that the game was not nearly as fun at lower levels as EQ had been. Some of my best days in EQ were in the early stages (Kelethn/Crushbone). Vanguard seemed more to reflect a design philosophy that the early levels were just for marking time, and the "real game" would come later. I sure hope Brad doesn't do that again in Pantheon, because he got it right in EQ. 

    There were others but I seem to have forgotten them. 
    AlBQuirky

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,070
    I know Ragnarok Online charged for closed beta testing. I think Guild Wars did a good job with using beta tests. In general beta tests were a preview of the game and most of the issues with the game they failed to address.
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,315
    Amathe said:
    I beta tested SWG at a late stage. There wasn't a lot for me to do at that point, so I just rolled character after character to see what I might want to play at launch. I reported a few bugs, but the area where I was playing was done, mostly.

    I briefly beta tested Auto Assault and thought it was a complete piece of shit. I didn't stay in it long.

    I beta tested Vanguard for a while. For whatever reason I didn't experience the disconnectivity many people later complained of. What I did experience (and this is just my personal opinion) was that the game was not nearly as fun at lower levels as EQ had been. Some of my best days in EQ were in the early stages (Kelethn/Crushbone). Vanguard seemed more to reflect a design philosophy that the early levels were just for marking time, and the "real game" would come later. I sure hope Brad doesn't do that again in Pantheon, because he got it right in EQ. 

    There were others but I seem to have forgotten them. 
    huh, I actually found Vanguard incredibly fun at the lower levels. Then again, I'm not really a raider and enjoy the exploration aspect more.
    AlBQuirky



  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,868
    AlBQuirky said:
    That term used to mean something. Players would be following info on MMORPGs and when they announced "beta testing", many flocked to be lucky enough to get picked. Usually, it was near release (actual BETA step) and most of it was just server load testing. It was not "fun" for most, but players got a "preview" of the game.

    Now, "beta testing" is more likely "alpha testing", with quite a bit of time before release. It's also purchasable, many times as a pre-order.

    Do you recall the first game you got lucky enough to beta test?

    Mine was Dungeons & Dragons Online. I recall being so hyped up for that! The game disillusioned me, though. It "vaguely resembled" the tabletop game I wanted. i realize much of it needed to be "video gamified" in order to attract players, though. Who wants to play a spell caster that gets to start off with just one spell each day.

    The last game I beta tested was ES:O. After that disillusionment, I have stopped beta testing and just wait for actual releases :)

    Again, do you recall your first beta test for an MMO?
    you mean real beta testing or just "beta testing" to try and hook players before launch?

    I guess the real deal was during the time I played fallen earth, though I do remember when I did beta tested defiance, I filled so much reports for then, they invited me to alpha later, pity they fu the game later

    now "beta tested" games just so they could hook players these are too many to even remember
    AlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Used to go into the Microsoft offices to QA titles. First alpha/beta for an MMO was Asheron's Call when Microsoft picked it up as publisher.

    Tested a bunch since then, but switched from testing to developing a while back.
    AmatheHatefullAlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,726
    Never got into beta testing, too busy, i would be too lazy to report bugs and im also easy to please. 
    AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,509
    iixviiiix said:
    My first beta test was game called priston tale , i wasn't in beta test before it .
    any test phase that don't reset server is not test
    beta test (server wipe/reset)> game relese (mass number test no server wipe) > commercial
    MMORPG genre used to be like this .

    Same here, first beta was Priston Tale
    AlBQuirky
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

    "There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 5,990
    Sovrath said:
    huh, I actually found Vanguard incredibly fun at the lower levels. Then again, I'm not really a raider and enjoy the exploration aspect more.
    Perhaps it was for you. These are subjective matters, obviously. But my lack of enjoying the early levels in Vanguard had nothing to do with raiding. At that point in my gaming life I had done very little raiding. Even now I would not say overall that I am the raider type - only in a few games. I would self identify in most cases as a "busy casual," meaning I am casual but play a lot (as opposed to one hour a week type casuals).   
    KyleranAlBQuirky

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • LevityyLevityy Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    I've never been into the idea of beta testing. Mortal Online jaded me to the point of disinterest.

    I also prefer to hit the ground running, and I'm not particularly fond of having my progress wiped.

    If there's a new MMO on the horizon that actually looks amazing and as if it'll deliver its promises *splutters everywhere* then perhaps.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Currently playing: Ultima Online - Eve Online (both for the first time)
    Formerly played: WoW, GW2, Darkfall, Darkfall UW, Legends of Aria, FFXIV
    Old patterns unravel, their disparate threads coiling, searching anew.
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,409
    Mine was Anarchy Online and then Dark Age of Camelot. I was so excited I couldn't even sit still while it was patching I think. I kept trying different characters every time I logged in I was like a hamster on speed.Then a whole slew of games after and then I stopped applying for them. I just found out I didn't enjoy games I beta tested a whole lot because part of the mystery was gone.

    I recall paying a fortune to have Star Wars Galaxy's discs shipped to me. It was more than the game retailed later but I didn't care because it was STAR WARS....
    HatefullAlBQuirky
    image
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,080
    Levityy said:
    I've never been into the idea of beta testing. Mortal Online jaded me to the point of disinterest.

    I also prefer to hit the ground running, and I'm not particularly fond of having my progress wiped.

    If there's a new MMO on the horizon that actually looks amazing and as if it'll deliver its promises *splutters everywhere* then perhaps.
    Welcome to our forums! :)
    AlBQuirky

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • LevityyLevityy Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    Scot said:
    Levityy said:
    I've never been into the idea of beta testing. Mortal Online jaded me to the point of disinterest.

    I also prefer to hit the ground running, and I'm not particularly fond of having my progress wiped.

    If there's a new MMO on the horizon that actually looks amazing and as if it'll deliver its promises *splutters everywhere* then perhaps.
    Welcome to our forums! :)
    Thanks Scot! ^^
    Currently playing: Ultima Online - Eve Online (both for the first time)
    Formerly played: WoW, GW2, Darkfall, Darkfall UW, Legends of Aria, FFXIV
    Old patterns unravel, their disparate threads coiling, searching anew.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,410
    My first beta test was WOW European test. Thing about blizzards WOW test is that anyone could go to there forums and watch vids but you couldn't post unless you were a tester.

    The days of real beta testing are long gone unless it's the indie mmo's that are being made. 
    AlBQuirky




  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,410
    Amathe said:
    I beta tested SWG at a late stage. There wasn't a lot for me to do at that point, so I just rolled character after character to see what I might want to play at launch. I reported a few bugs, but the area where I was playing was done, mostly.

    I briefly beta tested Auto Assault and thought it was a complete piece of shit. I didn't stay in it long.

    I beta tested Vanguard for a while. For whatever reason I didn't experience the disconnectivity many people later complained of. What I did experience (and this is just my personal opinion) was that the game was not nearly as fun at lower levels as EQ had been. Some of my best days in EQ were in the early stages (Kelethn/Crushbone). Vanguard seemed more to reflect a design philosophy that the early levels were just for marking time, and the "real game" would come later. I sure hope Brad doesn't do that again in Pantheon, because he got it right in EQ. 

    There were others but I seem to have forgotten them. 


    I have to ask what version of Vanguard you were playing? Vanguard journey to max level was the strongest part of the game.

    The game had practically no max level content at release but the journey to max level was brilliant.


    Yes I played EQ1 from 1999 and it was great and fun, I can agree with that but your discription of Vanguards early levels is totally valse imo. 

    Did you stay in one location lol. 




Sign In or Register to comment.