Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria To Release On Steam August 6th

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    The end game zones will still be PvP enabled (re: gankfest) apparently.

Which means basically 99% of the zones people play in will be the PvP gankfest zones after most players reach endgame and thus only hang out in the (pvp-enabled/gankfest) endgame zones.

Kinda like Albion Online where there are safe zones but because they aren't endgame, no one really uses them later on.
    Albion is exactly what I had in mind responding to Bill. I get what he's saying and it sounds good on paper, but we've been down this road a million times before and it's always the same. It always ends up that cool stuff is gated behind the pvp zones. A few other recent PvP mmos, with pve zones or flagging, have done this too.
    Not sure there's any way around it, even in PVE devs often incentive players to tackle the hardest content by rewarding them with more, like raid gear or what not.

Otherwise, why would most folks bother with the extra hassle unless there was good reason.

Weirdly enough, EVE got strangely turned upside down to the point where null sec became more profitable and safer than the PVE zones, definitely not the way to go IMO.

I guess the answer would be not to set up arbitrary gates and just provide content. I think that is one thing real "first gen" mmos (pre-WoW) did really well. Good drops came from harder mobs but players could get creative how they wanted to tackle them. Sometimes good players could do it by themselves or with a duo. Sometimes you needed a few people because you and your friends were low level or undergeared. The point is the game didn't dictate any of that to you.

If people are doing content styles they hate (raids, pvp, crafting, or what not) just for gears then the game has a huge problem that will eventually bite it in the ass. I think that's been a big factor in the decline of MMOs. If MMOs are going to go for broad appeal then they should reward that. Since they don't, it's just another factor contributing to uninstall/unsub.

Really, this game should never have had tried to shoehorn PvE in. And if the game couldn't survive on PvP alone then well, a lesson to be learnt. Bolting on another game play loop to try and suck more customers in sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
    jimmywolfKyleranGdemamiNyctelios
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 552
    I’ve been playing on and off for years as an early backer. But every time I start having fun (and there’s a lot of fun to be had here), I get ganked by someone infinitely strong than me. Losing hours of progress to a basement dwelling sociopath is not why I play games.

I’ve asked for an official PvE shard for years, and have been viciously shouted down every time.
    KyleranTorvalkenguru23NycteliospaulythebRich84DragonJockey
  • TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,444
    edited July 2019
    Well, I bought into the game early when it was Shards Online.  The game has certainly changed /evolved in a direction I didn't expect.  Good and bad. I have played some of the betas and the early launch (before the Steam launch).  I stopped playing and took some time to sit back and wait to see if it got better.  I look forward to seeing where the game is at at steam launch.  All I can do is hope for the best.  I'm glad they're addressing some of the PvP issues and implementing the profession guide system.
    TorvalNyctelios
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,535
    edited July 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    The end game zones will still be PvP enabled (re: gankfest) apparently.

Which means basically 99% of the zones people play in will be the PvP gankfest zones after most players reach endgame and thus only hang out in the (pvp-enabled/gankfest) endgame zones.

Kinda like Albion Online where there are safe zones but because they aren't endgame, no one really uses them later on.
    Albion is exactly what I had in mind responding to Bill. I get what he's saying and it sounds good on paper, but we've been down this road a million times before and it's always the same. It always ends up that cool stuff is gated behind the pvp zones. A few other recent PvP mmos, with pve zones or flagging, have done this too.
    Not sure there's any way around it, even in PVE devs often incentive players to tackle the hardest content by rewarding them with more, like raid gear or what not.

Otherwise, why would most folks bother with the extra hassle unless there was good reason.

Weirdly enough, EVE got strangely turned upside down to the point where null sec became more profitable and safer than the PVE zones, definitely not the way to go IMO.

The way around it is what every PvE game does.  Make hard bosses give better rewards.  Of course, if PvP did that instead, they might as well be a PvE game instead.

But... the way they do it now?  They basically trick PvE players into thinking they can PvE without being ganked until those players reach end game at which point the hard reality hits them that the rest of their (likely brief if they made it that far) in-game lives will now be subject to a gankfest.

That's what happens when PvE players fail to read the fine print of "Oh, we have safe zones and most zones are safe zones! Just not the end zones!"  Though I imagine most by now know better which is a likely contributing reason these open PvP MMOgames keep failing hard.
    KyleranGdemamiNyctelios
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 204
    Hey all,

Joseph here - we realized that when this was put into the CMS this morning part of our interview was cut off by (me) improperly placing an image via HTML. We've added this portion back to the post, but I'll place it here as well for easy viewing. 

Apologies on the inconvenience as we still learn our way around the backend of the site!

MMORPG: One thing that has been a big area of contention has been player killers in places like the most sought-after gathering areas. With the potential of many new players joining the fray, is there anything being done to mitigate frustration for those that may not be ready for those kinds of interactions?

Derek: What we have done with this release is to expand our protected zone to include most of the game world and mid to end game items, while still making sure the rate of gaining materials, gold and ability resources is high in the unrestricted PvP area. This gives players who want to enjoy relative safety access to the majority of the game’s content, while still providing adequate rewards for taking the risk of adventuring in unrestricted areas. We believe this new approach to the Legends of Aria ruleset will benefit PvPers. No more teleport restrictions on evil players and they are no longer outlawed from towns and cities. By decreasing the size of the wilderness area to just the Barren Lands (which is still a huge area) it will concentrate the open PvP fighting and it will be easier to find fights. Awakening spawns will remain highly competitive events with big rewards and are being expanded. In this update, we are launching a new awakening encounter in the cultist city, Ruins of the Artificer, which is an awesome place for a king of the hill style encounter. We also offer several consensual PvP options which allow for unrestricted PvP combat anywhere in the game (Allegiances and Guild Wars).

MMORPG: What can players look forward to in terms of the ongoing payment model for Legends of Aria? Will there be a cash shop? Subscription? Is Citadel Studios dedicated to ensuring there are no “pay to win” scenarios or will some semblance of power be gained in the event players are willing to pay a premium?

Thanks everyone. Feel free to ping me with any concerns/questions and appreciate your reading and outrageously thoughtful discussion!

TorvalTokkenblueturtle13
    That is very informative. Thanks for posting the correction. I still don't think it's going to work out like they expect. I could be wrong. I've been wrong a lot and don't see that ending anytime soon.

That they refer to these as "safe" zones tells me they've missed the point by miles. It might work great for their players though. I'm just speaking from my perspective.
    blueturtle13BillMurphyNycteliosDragonJockey
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,155
    The problem is when you create a game designed around a certain style of play like PVP it is nearly impossible to try and turn into anything other than that. I wish them luck. 
    TorvalKylerankenguru23GinazNyctelios

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,512
    edited July 2019
    Watched Peon's video,this looks way too dated.
    Nyctelios

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BluntedJBluntedJ Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited July 2019

Arterius said:

These guys have some balls, they pulled their game like 2 or 3 times from Steam one of which if i recall correctly was on release day...err steam release day.

Would have bought it back then, now ? Not a chance

Yeah 3 times. I am 99% sure. Its been a mess. I think they were supposed to release on a steam more then a year ago now

My recollection was that when the "released" in like December 2018 they had so much interest that the servers could not handle the load. This was part of the reason they delayed the Steam release. I'm not making excuses for them. Clearly their tech was not up to the task of a game that clearly had a lot of interest.

As an aside to many here, please note that there are a few community servers that have different rulesets. Currently there are two PvE only servers. There is also one server, Legends of Ultima, that does a pretty good job of creating new content and different mechanics while trying to replicate T2A of UO (not a strict copy, just the basics are down and they are trying to spiritually create UO2).

As another aside, part of the appeal of the smaller servers is the community. Yeah, you can play a game with 1,000,000 people, but how many do you hang out with and get to know? 5, 10, 15, 20 tops that you interact with regularly. A lot of different MMORPG's have active communities but have a smaller player-base, and they thrive. Because of communities.
    Kyleran
  • cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    for new steam players, this game is dead. :(
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,541
    I guess the only positive thing that can be said is that it was a kickstarter that apparently is actually going to release a 'finished' game (after 3 delays at least).

Remember when it was Shards and got all the hype. That was 5 or 6 years ago now.

But this 'end game' 'content' gated behind PvP is so 2002.
  • HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    I’ve played this since CB1 and since I launched.

For me personally it’s a great game, sure it had flaws still and need some polish here and there…
    The thing is, you need to be into this type of game to like it. I’ve read through all the comments here, and understand peoples frustration and concern – but really it gets down to “is this type of game for me or not?”.

I saw someone saying combat looks boring and if it’s not interesting to look at, what is the point? For me flashing combat is not making a game more fun the ability to set my own goals is making a game fun for me, and LoA sure give you the freedom to set own goals, build your own char as you want.

In PVP you really don’t know what to expect because most people orientate their build around their playstyle. I’ve been overwhelmed often about the creativity people put into their build to suit their purpose.

I enjoy the game so much, and my only problem is that they didn’t take some of my favorite UO elements – the recall, mark and runebook system. I’ve always thought that the ability to have you own set of hunting spots, specially marked for where you wanna go was AWESOME. I don’t see the point of having to run 5 min to a dungeon, then fight to the bottom of it to find the prey I was looking for – Why cant I mark and recall there instantly, as in UO…

I guess what im sying here is, this is that type of game that do not try to catch the mainstream, it’s a niche game for the people who like the old style of gaming – like UO, and if you liked UO then this come close and offers so much more.
    KyleranTokkenNyctelios
  • asnowasnow Member UncommonPosts: 43
    finaly 6 montsh after the game is dead ^^, do you realy think old player base will waste 3-4 more months to grind skills, to finaly be in a dead server again ? its like drawing dead
  • HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    asnow said:
    finaly 6 montsh after the game is dead ^^, do you realy think old player base will waste 3-4 more months to grind skills, to finaly be in a dead server again ? its like drawing dead

Well they can just load their old chars, as I do - play where I started. It’s not like a new server will kill the rest, even though 9/10 think/predict so.

But I am also European, and we do not get a new server unless needed. Unless they changed that, will probably know by Friday twitch live stream.

You could watch it too, here: https://www.twitch.tv/legendsofaria

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 361
    edited July 2019
    Ltldogg said:

barasawa said:

Ltldogg said:

Arterius said:

This was my biggest MMO letdown. I remember hearing about this game and being so excited. I am just hoping that a few years down the line I can check on the game and find a fan-made shard I can play in that is mostly PVE. I don't mind PVP but this game is kind of a gankfest.

You should read the interview. :D

Maybe you should re-read the interview! :O

Please stop with the "no, you" argument. It adds no value to the discussion, and is very much below the expected level of posts here, this isn't Barrens Chat.

This applies to everyone doing it, not just the person I quoted, who is simply the last person in the chain when I posted this.

Your post is adding no value. Get off your high horse and stop trying to police these forums. If you see an issue, report it to the mods. But, as for my post, it was valid because clearly Bill's response to Arterius was invalid. So I pointed Bill to re-read the interview, which Arterius is right in saying did not address the point being made.

The only thing that came to mind is: No, it's not like Barrens chat. There was no discussion about how much xp your mom gave.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,467
    Oyjord said:
    I’ve been playing on and off for years as an early backer. But every time I start having fun (and there’s a lot of fun to be had here), I get ganked by someone infinitely strong than me. Losing hours of progress to a basement dwelling sociopath is not why I play games.

I’ve asked for an official PvE shard for years, and have been viciously shouted down every time.
    I don't understand why all these PVP games refuse to do this.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,293
    Oyjord said:

I don't understand why all these PVP games refuse to do this.
    because its a pvp game
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BiGreaTBiGreaT Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Fresh new server ??? Why we make a race to get the best spots and new player go to the new server.... the server is alredy on low population .... thats killing the game at least for the old servers
  • Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    All these soon to be failed isometric clicker mmos should join teams and finances and liscence a real engine.

They all look and sound the same. The thumbnails of a 20 year old Diablo clone will get skipped by so fast on steam especially with a box price.

All the kickstarters and crowd funders and indies should join forces and make ONE massive mmo. Instead of 800 tiny niche unrealized projects. But that's just me.
    Hexipox said:

I guess what im sying here is, this is that type of game that do not try to catch the mainstream, it’s a niche game for the people who like the old style of gaming – like UO, and if you liked UO then this come close and offers so much more.
    That's interesting because it directly contradicts what they've just said about their game and how they want it to have broad appeal. Player perception of what they think a game is and should be and what the devs think are completely different.

• BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I personally am hyped to play it.
    Hexipox
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,987
    BiGreaT said:
    Fresh new server ??? Why we make a race to get the best spots and new player go to the new server.... the server is alredy on low population .... thats killing the game at least for the old servers
    Another new white tag, welcome to the forums, keep coming back.

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 7,313
    Torval said:
    Hexipox said:

That's interesting because it directly contradicts what they've just said about their game and how they want it to have broad appeal. Player perception of what they think a game is and should be and what the devs think are completely different.
    LOl..  LoA does not even half the features and activities that UO has for a player to do ...

Its not even half the game
    TorvalpaulythebNyctelios
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Early Access Box price + Premium before release? I smell a cash grab.
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    edited July 2019
    Oyjord said:

I have to call Shennanigans here. How are you losing hours of progress?
    Did your skills go down? No.
    Did your stats go down? No.

Can you lose your stuff? Yes. It's a PVP game.
    But hours of progression? No way.

My first character was a miner/smith. I mined in the safe area Until I could make my own weapons and armor. Then I created a fighter and transferred all the equipment I made on my miner to him.

My fighter has literally 100 sets of armor +1 and more weapons than I'll ever use (While when I play my miner I continue to make more and better stuff, making the gear I already have too much of quickly superfluous. So more weapons keep piling up.)

This is all in a night or two.

Then I made a tamer and boom can go right out and start taming horses. Tamer is mostly naked with a few magic reagents and maybe a bow. Miner is mostly naked to carry more ore or wood. All the gear I make goes to fighter. A solid Fighter can earn enough coin to afford to supply a Mage character by grinding mobs if mining/crafting isn't your style.

You literally lose nothing on a death but whatever cheesy cheap gear you decide to enter the PVP area with and that gear is replaceable in minutes not hours.  You might lose your gathered goods you foraged while you were out on that particular run. That's the nature of the game.

Quit Lying.

Someone else in this thread said you can't mark recall stones or teleport or make portals in LoA.

Then why does the game have recall stones? and teleport spell? and portal spell?

Oh that's right! It is because you CAN do all of those things if you have the skill.

You Quit Lying too.

Post edited by paulytheb on

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.