Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall Update 5.1 Brings New Systems, New Player World ‘God’s Reach’ - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2019
    NeffxUni said:
    Why have a new player zone when theoretically, everyone should be a new player when it launches?
    It's a learning zone where players can get familiar with game mechanisms and test new stuff out in a controlled environment, instead of just dropping everyone to the end-game.
    JamesGoblin

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Tekmon said:
    If characters are going to be persistent this week and never will be wiped, then this week is the actual launch of the game.  I guess it was time to sh*t or get off the pot.  
    Characters are not going to be persistent,  there will be more wipes.

Concerns resolved?
    FlyByKnightJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Greatness said:
    My concern is it for the amount of “hype” for this game, it appears people can currently play it in early access type situation but I don’t see any streams of it or anyone that really plays it? These type of games don’t end of doing well.
    MMOs in general don't stream well besides bigger WoW streamers which is just as much for the streamer as the game most likely. There are a few regular Crowfall streamers, but it isn't very exciting to watch as there is only a handful of people online, PVP isn't super common beyond specific timed daily sieges, and a good deal of time is killing boring monsters (nothing like a real PVE game) or doing harvesting and crafting.

People do log in and play daily but not many. Considering they are probably at least a year away from launch or even Beta, no real reason to get to hyped just yet. Might be good or might just be another early access game that doesn't go anywhere.
    KyleranJamesGoblin
    Cuppett5 said:
    Cash grab game. So disappointed. I had high hopes for this one a long time ago....
    Why is it a cash grab? They needed money to make it, people gave it to them, they are making it. Cash grab seems to imply they took the money and split. Devs looked like they've aged more then the years they've spent making this, doubt they are just kicking back and spending the cash.
    KyleranJamesGoblin
    Kyleran said:
    In 18 more months of course.
    That might be a bit hopeful.  :)
    JamesGoblin
    Bcuda said:

Enjoy what?
    What's currently available?

Some log in every day and play/test it. I dropped some money on this thing but rarely log in as it isn't good enough for me yet if ever.
    JamesGoblin
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Those particle effects are still bogus AF. I really hope they hire someone better at it. Considering it doesn't look like they're going to scale back the amount, it would be cool if they all didn't look so boilerplate and bad.

The UI is pretty good though.

2020, is my year to start going full skeptical about the long dev cycle.

Hatefull
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Greatness said:
    My concern is it for the amount of “hype” for this game, it appears people can currently play it in early access type situation but I don’t see any streams of it or anyone that really plays it? These type of games don’t end of doing well.
    I have seen many many games overhyped with stream and big to do, that fell flat shortly after launch. I have also seen many games with little to no hype that still have servers going, your metric for determining the success or failure of a game is way off.

Itzme123 said:
    Just felt like a really unpolished survival game with janky fantasy combat.

The ultra dependency on survival-esque gathering and crafting killed any interest I had.

There are zero dependencies on gathering anything other than gold. You can buy anything you need with gold. Also, harvesting resources was not invented with survival games. It has been around since MMORPG got started. Nothing new there.

Cuppett5 said:
    Cash grab game. So disappointed. I had high hopes for this one a long time ago....
    How, exactly is it a cash grab? They are still developing it, it's playable right now. Now if tomorrow I wake up and see that the shutters have been closed, I will agree with you, as it stands, nope.

Tekmon said:
    If characters are going to be persistent this week and never will be wiped, then this week is the actual launch of the game.  I guess it was time to sh*t or get off the pot.  

There will be many more wipes before release.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]JamesGoblin

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Nyctelios said:
    The video posted before looked really cool. In my years playing Gw2 I lived in WvW. I'm quite excited and hopeful that this game will flourish because their concept is right what I want... Besides they have a rat race that can be a mosqueteer class if I remember correctly and I'm sold on that.
    You sir are absolutely correct, its the Dualist class though. They look amazing and I would love to share a picture but posting pictures and/or videos is broken on my account too so no such luck  :|

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]JamesGoblin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Those particle effects are still bogus AF. I really hope they hire someone better at it. Considering it doesn't look like they're going to scale back the amount, it would be cool if they all didn't look so boilerplate and bad.

The UI is pretty good though.

2020, is my year to start going full skeptical about the long dev cycle.

Come over to the dark side, you know you want to. Harbingers are always open to new members.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Nyctelios said:
    lahnmir said:
    Nyctelios said:
    The video posted before looked really cool. In my years playing Gw2 I lived in WvW. I'm quite excited and hopeful that this game will flourish because their concept is right what I want... Besides they have a rat race that can be a mosqueteer class if I remember correctly and I'm sold on that.
    You sir are absolutely correct, its the Dualist class though. They look amazing and I would love to share a picture but posting pictures and/or videos is broken on my account too so no such luck  :|

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Are they already in the live server?
    Yes, very much so and have been for some time.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

XA20X said:

Can anyone who has actually played comment on this? It seems to me like this game is going for a "What Guild Wars 2 could have been" kinda thing. For anyone who has actually played, does it do anything good? Cause I have been watching this game kinda out of the corner of my eye, and gameplay videos feel.. empty? Like I am missing something, that should be obvious.

Or is the game really just that empty?

I'm playing it. Before this patch almost all the players jumped ship. This patch brought a lot of them back. It's much easier to dive in and get started without other players. It won't be until you want better bodies and gear and seiging that you'll want to get into a guild.
    JamesGoblin

Allein said:

XA20X said:

Can anyone who has actually played comment on this? It seems to me like this game is going for a "What Guild Wars 2 could have been" kinda thing. For anyone who has actually played, does it do anything good? Cause I have been watching this game kinda out of the corner of my eye, and gameplay videos feel.. empty? Like I am missing something, that should be obvious.

Or is the game really just that empty?

Depends on what GW2 could of been to you. GW2 is a full AAA MMO with everything. Crowfall is a niche (lacks a lot of stuff) concept that is far from complete. GW2's PVE, world, combat, PVP, progression, class design, etc are miles ahead of anything Crowfall will likely ever have or be.

Really nothing about Crowfall is top shelf quality. Much of the design is copied from Shadowbane for better or worse, they have better crafting system then most games but it isn't really complex or anything just a lot more effort involved, and there are campaigns which are like MMO arenas or battlegrounds that go on for weeks or months.

Character design and progression, classes, skills, combat, PVE AI, world etc are all pretty empty as you say. They aren't terrible but not really close to what else is out there. Other smaller MMOs are coming that look like they will try to go for more.

Been in pre-alpha 4.5 years, supposed to be in Alpha last year.

Maybe in a year or two it will be something special, but other games do just as much and more. Camelot Unchained will be aimed at a similar group but is in a similar state.

I haven't bothered logging in for a bit but still follow regularly. New update has me interested but still clearly far from complete. This article paints a pretty picture, but much of the paint is still missing. More of what it should become rather then what it is.

Anyway, come launch, it should be worth a look as long as they don't screw everything up but that is a long way off.

And yet crowfall is more fun than GW2. GW2 is a snore fest. I've played both and I find GW2 just hands everything to you. There's no real challenge or even need for other people. Sure it has its fun moments but gets stale really fast. Seiging in Crowfall is a blast! Tactics almost always wins over numbers. And the game is still not complete.
    JamesGoblin

Arterius said:

Ozmodan said:

I was kind of looking forward to this game, but it seems their inability to progress beyond a pre-alpha stage has put it into the will it ever release categories.  I have some friends that have access to the game and do play it occasionally.   Their hopes for the game are rather low at this point.  They have a really long way to go at this point of development and that is nothing positive.

Your not wrong. Just played for a few hours myself and the game is rough. I would call it almost unplayable. Not because the game is poorly optimized or it crashes all the time but because their is nothing to do. I walked around for two hours and though I passed by plenty of people in my faction I didn't see anyone from another. We were just kind wandering around wondering where the action was taking place.

That's because in this godsreach, everyone is balance. It won't be until the next campaign launches that the other factions will return. If you're looking for something to do, hit the war bands. That's where the action is at.
    HatefullJamesGoblin

Binny45 said:
    And yet crowfall is more fun than GW2. GW2 is a snore fest. I've played both and I find GW2 just hands everything to you. There's no real challenge or even need for other people. Sure it has its fun moments but gets stale really fast. Seiging in Crowfall is a blast! Tactics almost always wins over numbers. And the game is still not complete.
    Everything is subjective somewhat, but GW2 is a full game where Crowfall is lacking in features and the features they've focused on aren't miles a head to compensate.

I liked GW2 while I played but it grew old due to the typical PVE grind that Crowfall at first seemed to be steering away from but now has gone full on into. However it isn't anything close to the PVE found in GW2 or majority of other MMOs. Reminds me of EQ AI from 1999.

They are backing away from the dependence on others and with this patch make soloing or small group play much easier for better or worse if "need for others" was a strength of the design.

Crowfall is not challenging in the least beyond the time it requires and tedious nature of pretty much everything. Combat has a low skill ceiling, meta can't get very diverse with the little viable builds/classes available currently, PVE is a joke and got even easier this patch. It is a challenge trying to play a MMO when 20 people are online in the same faction though...

Siege and PVP in general are very basic compared to games 10-15+ years old (DAoC, Shadowbane). Haven't played GW2 in a good while but believe WvWvW and siege were more exciting from what I remember.

Numbers matter in Crowfall but like most games organization and having more stats play a large part, also doesn't help that the game struggles with ~25-100 players depending on the day. Can't even get high numbers for the win really.

With all that, it isn't complete so they have time, but they are really going to need to pull a rabbit out of a hat to make Crowfall worth playing long term or it will just be another game with "fun moments but gets stale really fast." Looking at the rise and fall of the small test population, stale factor seems to kick in very fast each big update.
    JamesGoblin
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    I'd guess another 6 - 9 months until a soft launch. The games not done by any means but its pretty playable in it current state. Depends how much they want to polish it before they kick it out the door to start earning some money.
    JamesGoblin
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I backed this game and had high hopes for it.  I've followed it since the beginning.  I agree with other posters that while it looks good on paper, it isn't really all that fun in practice. I do believe the developers are earnest in producing a game; just doesn't look like something, I'll want to play whenever it releases.
    JamesGoblin

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104

Camelot Unchained is light years behind - and it's a game I'm closely following as well.

I don't mean to pit Crowfall against CU as I am hoping that they are both going to be good games, but you are comparing a shed to a mansion. Saying CU is light years behind is false on many levels. First, CU is actually close to beta 2 where CF is still in an alpha state. Second, CU is building a far more in-depth game than CF. Not only did they build their own engine to support their needs, they will be able to have 2000+ players in a single battle. Something no other MMORPG has been able to even come close to accomplishing. They will also have a much better in-depth crafting and ability building system, adding a lot more to the sandbox part of the game. A part of that sandbox system will be the ability to build houses block by block, allowing for a huge variety of styles and designs. They are not just doing a VOX system like most games.

The more I think about it, I think CU is actually light years ahead of CF when it comes to what will be in the game and how far along in development they are.

p.s. As I mentioned, I am not trying to bash CF. I am hoping CF will be as good a game as CU. I just don't think CF will have the depth CU will have. And, depth doesn't always equal fun.
    FlyByKnightJamesGoblin

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Rhoklaw said:
    Allein said:

Rhoklaw said:

I think someone mentioned in another thread that they will be doing the final character progression wipe this week. So whoever is playing after the 22-26th of this month will be able to maintain their character progression, even after it launches, whenever that will be. I've heard of a few day head start, but seeing as it's not even in beta yet, that's one hell of a time gap for players joining the game when it does launch, lol.

There is a wipe but didn't see anything about it being the last. Considering how far from release they are, haven't even gone into Alphas or Betas, I don't see how it could be the final wipe.
    Was referring to this thread, which was posted by someone who obviously seems to be actively playing.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/482576/full-wipe#latest

Now that I reread it, it's just another wipe, which happens all the time during the testing phases of the game, so not entirely sure why that was even a talking point, but whatever.
    Well, it is a talking point because the last wipe (previous to this week) happened in Dec 2018 and there was a lot fo discussion in-game about people coming back after this wipe because it will even up the playing field a bit. It is not a common event is why it is a talking point.

Arterius said:
    Ozmodan said:
    I was kind of looking forward to this game, but it seems their inability to progress beyond a pre-alpha stage has put it into the will it ever release categories.  I have some friends that have access to the game and do play it occasionally.   Their hopes for the game are rather low at this point.  They have a really long way to go at this point of development and that is nothing positive.
    Your not wrong. Just played for a few hours myself and the game is rough. I would call it almost unplayable. Not because the game is poorly optimized or it crashes all the time but because their is nothing to do. I walked around for two hours and though I passed by plenty of people in my faction I didn't see anyone from another. We were just kind wandering around wondering where the action was taking place.
    Until Tuesday, when the campaign launches everyone is in the same faction. After that, we will split to the three factions and start trying to win.

The point of the game is not PvE. The level cap is only 30 at the moment and you can get there is very short order. Maybe 2 - 3 hours. Right now is a prep phase for the campaign. There is plenty to do, but the entire point of the game isn't even open right now.

On a side note, I saw close to 200 players on last night, which is not huge numbers, especially when you break down into three factions, but it much better than it has been.

This game will not be for everyone, but for those that like minimal pve and a huge focus on PvP it will get there eventually. At least the game improves with every patch.
    JamesGoblin

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Hatefull said:

Until Tuesday, when the campaign launches everyone is in the same faction. After that, we will split to the three factions and start trying to win.

The point of the game is not PvE. The level cap is only 30 at the moment and you can get there is very short order. Maybe 2 - 3 hours. Right now is a prep phase for the campaign. There is plenty to do, but the entire point of the game isn't even open right now.

On a side note, I saw close to 200 players on last night, which is not huge numbers, especially when you break down into three factions, but it much better than it has been.

This game will not be for everyone, but for those that like minimal pve and a huge focus on PvP it will get there eventually. At least the game improves with every patch.
    Point of the game isn't PvE but that is what people do most of the time. Level, harvest, grind monsters for resources and loot, craft, capture outposts for points. Sieges are on timers. Random PvP has little value. PvP for PvE spots does have value, but circles back to just doing PvE again.

Takes couple hours for a free vessel to level, not so for higher quality. Entire game is built around needing to continue PvE to keep vessels, gear, disciplines cycling through.

PvP will and does happen, but there is very little to actually support it. It is either a few timed events, random fights for laughs, or fighting over the right to PvE.

If they don't make it more PvP focused then I'll likely hard pass as there are already PvE games that offer more ways and reason to PvP.
    JamesGoblin
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kinring said:

Camelot Unchained is light years behind - and it's a game I'm closely following as well.

I don't mean to pit Crowfall against CU as I am hoping that they are both going to be good games, but you are comparing a shed to a mansion. Saying CU is light years behind is false on many levels. First, CU is actually close to beta 2 where CF is still in an alpha state. Second, CU is building a far more in-depth game than CF. Not only did they build their own engine to support their needs, they will be able to have 2000+ players in a single battle. Something no other MMORPG has been able to even come close to accomplishing. They will also have a much better in-depth crafting and ability building system, adding a lot more to the sandbox part of the game. A part of that sandbox system will be the ability to build houses block by block, allowing for a huge variety of styles and designs. They are not just doing a VOX system like most games.

The more I think about it, I think CU is actually light years ahead of CF when it comes to what will be in the game and how far along in development they are.

p.s. As I mentioned, I am not trying to bash CF. I am hoping CF will be as good a game as CU. I just don't think CF will have the depth CU will have. And, depth doesn't always equal fun.
    CU is a lot behind

Crowfall has already most major system operational and they're able to run complete campaighs whereas CU is still doing the basics.

CU has some stuff that's more advanced, and if we're lucky it might one day become a better game, but Crowfall is a lot closer to being a finished game.
    JamesGoblin

• KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Vrika said:
    Kinring said:

CU is a lot behind

Crowfall has already most major system operational and they're able to run complete campaighs whereas CU is still doing the basics.

CU has some stuff that's more advanced, and if we're lucky it might one day become a better game, but Crowfall is a lot closer to being a finished game.
    Vrika said:
    Kinring said:

CU is a lot behind

What major system does CF have that CU does not? I have been following and testing both for the past two years, and I do not see a major gap between them. Whereas CF has somewhat stalled the past year with development, CU has made major breakthroughs and progressed very nicely. The only major difference is that CF has a 24/7 server up and CU is doing focused testing. However, Mark Jacobs has stated in his weekly podcast that they could absolutely be running a 24/7 server if they wanted to, but they do not see the value in this, and they would rather use that money for development. 

I would be willing to admit that CF does have more polish on some of its systems than CU at this point in development, however, I think CU has a better understanding of the game they made (since they built the engine) and can pinpoint and eliminate bugs faster than CF. I think over the next year, CU will surpass CF and have an official launch sooner.

Honestly, I hope I am completely wrong and CF launches tomorrow. I will gladly eat my words. But as far as CU being light years behind CF in development, I 100% disagree. I think both will "officially" launch about the same time in about 1 year.