Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria To Release On Steam August 6th

Comments

• cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    for new steam players, this game is dead. :(
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    I guess the only positive thing that can be said is that it was a kickstarter that apparently is actually going to release a 'finished' game (after 3 delays at least).

Remember when it was Shards and got all the hype. That was 5 or 6 years ago now.

But this 'end game' 'content' gated behind PvP is so 2002.
  • HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    I’ve played this since CB1 and since I launched.

For me personally it’s a great game, sure it had flaws still and need some polish here and there…
    The thing is, you need to be into this type of game to like it. I’ve read through all the comments here, and understand peoples frustration and concern – but really it gets down to “is this type of game for me or not?”.

I saw someone saying combat looks boring and if it’s not interesting to look at, what is the point? For me flashing combat is not making a game more fun the ability to set my own goals is making a game fun for me, and LoA sure give you the freedom to set own goals, build your own char as you want.

In PVP you really don’t know what to expect because most people orientate their build around their playstyle. I’ve been overwhelmed often about the creativity people put into their build to suit their purpose.

I enjoy the game so much, and my only problem is that they didn’t take some of my favorite UO elements – the recall, mark and runebook system. I’ve always thought that the ability to have you own set of hunting spots, specially marked for where you wanna go was AWESOME. I don’t see the point of having to run 5 min to a dungeon, then fight to the bottom of it to find the prey I was looking for – Why cant I mark and recall there instantly, as in UO…

I guess what im sying here is, this is that type of game that do not try to catch the mainstream, it’s a niche game for the people who like the old style of gaming – like UO, and if you liked UO then this come close and offers so much more.
    KyleranTokken[Deleted User]
  • asnowasnow Member UncommonPosts: 43
    finaly 6 montsh after the game is dead ^^, do you realy think old player base will waste 3-4 more months to grind skills, to finaly be in a dead server again ? its like drawing dead
  • HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241
    asnow said:
    finaly 6 montsh after the game is dead ^^, do you realy think old player base will waste 3-4 more months to grind skills, to finaly be in a dead server again ? its like drawing dead

Well they can just load their old chars, as I do - play where I started. It’s not like a new server will kill the rest, even though 9/10 think/predict so.

But I am also European, and we do not get a new server unless needed. Unless they changed that, will probably know by Friday twitch live stream.

You could watch it too, here: https://www.twitch.tv/legendsofaria

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    edited July 2019
    Ltldogg said:

barasawa said:

Ltldogg said:

Arterius said:

This was my biggest MMO letdown. I remember hearing about this game and being so excited. I am just hoping that a few years down the line I can check on the game and find a fan-made shard I can play in that is mostly PVE. I don't mind PVP but this game is kind of a gankfest.

You should read the interview. :D

Maybe you should re-read the interview! :O

Please stop with the "no, you" argument. It adds no value to the discussion, and is very much below the expected level of posts here, this isn't Barrens Chat.

This applies to everyone doing it, not just the person I quoted, who is simply the last person in the chain when I posted this.

Your post is adding no value. Get off your high horse and stop trying to police these forums. If you see an issue, report it to the mods. But, as for my post, it was valid because clearly Bill's response to Arterius was invalid. So I pointed Bill to re-read the interview, which Arterius is right in saying did not address the point being made.

The only thing that came to mind is: No, it's not like Barrens chat. There was no discussion about how much xp your mom gave.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Oyjord said:
    I’ve been playing on and off for years as an early backer. But every time I start having fun (and there’s a lot of fun to be had here), I get ganked by someone infinitely strong than me. Losing hours of progress to a basement dwelling sociopath is not why I play games.

I’ve asked for an official PvE shard for years, and have been viciously shouted down every time.
    I don't understand why all these PVP games refuse to do this.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Oyjord said:
    I’ve been playing on and off for years as an early backer. But every time I start having fun (and there’s a lot of fun to be had here), I get ganked by someone infinitely strong than me. Losing hours of progress to a basement dwelling sociopath is not why I play games.

I’ve asked for an official PvE shard for years, and have been viciously shouted down every time.
    I don't understand why all these PVP games refuse to do this.
    because its a pvp game
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BiGreaTBiGreaT Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Fresh new server ??? Why we make a race to get the best spots and new player go to the new server.... the server is alredy on low population .... thats killing the game at least for the old servers
  • Itzme123Itzme123 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    All these soon to be failed isometric clicker mmos should join teams and finances and liscence a real engine.

They all look and sound the same. The thumbnails of a 20 year old Diablo clone will get skipped by so fast on steam especially with a box price.

All the kickstarters and crowd funders and indies should join forces and make ONE massive mmo. Instead of 800 tiny niche unrealized projects. But that's just me.
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I personally am hyped to play it.
    Hexipox
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    BiGreaT said:
    Fresh new server ??? Why we make a race to get the best spots and new player go to the new server.... the server is alredy on low population .... thats killing the game at least for the old servers
    Another new white tag, welcome to the forums, keep coming back.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Torval said:
    Hexipox said:

I guess what im sying here is, this is that type of game that do not try to catch the mainstream, it’s a niche game for the people who like the old style of gaming – like UO, and if you liked UO then this come close and offers so much more.
    That's interesting because it directly contradicts what they've just said about their game and how they want it to have broad appeal. Player perception of what they think a game is and should be and what the devs think are completely different.
    LOl..  LoA does not even half the features and activities that UO has for a player to do ...

Its not even half the game
    [Deleted User]paulytheb[Deleted User]
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Early Access Box price + Premium before release? I smell a cash grab.
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    edited July 2019
    Oyjord said:

I have to call Shennanigans here. How are you losing hours of progress?
    Did your skills go down? No.
    Did your stats go down? No.

Can you lose your stuff? Yes. It's a PVP game.
    But hours of progression? No way.

My first character was a miner/smith. I mined in the safe area Until I could make my own weapons and armor. Then I created a fighter and transferred all the equipment I made on my miner to him.

My fighter has literally 100 sets of armor +1 and more weapons than I'll ever use (While when I play my miner I continue to make more and better stuff, making the gear I already have too much of quickly superfluous. So more weapons keep piling up.)

This is all in a night or two.

Then I made a tamer and boom can go right out and start taming horses. Tamer is mostly naked with a few magic reagents and maybe a bow. Miner is mostly naked to carry more ore or wood. All the gear I make goes to fighter. A solid Fighter can earn enough coin to afford to supply a Mage character by grinding mobs if mining/crafting isn't your style.

You literally lose nothing on a death but whatever cheesy cheap gear you decide to enter the PVP area with and that gear is replaceable in minutes not hours.  You might lose your gathered goods you foraged while you were out on that particular run. That's the nature of the game.

Quit Lying.

Someone else in this thread said you can't mark recall stones or teleport or make portals in LoA.

Then why does the game have recall stones? and teleport spell? and portal spell?

Oh that's right! It is because you CAN do all of those things if you have the skill.

You Quit Lying too.

Post edited by paulytheb on

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Really looking forward to the pvp!
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    So this is a RE-RELEASE not going into open beta right? I would beware any steam game that rquires up front money in the mmo genre they are known for helping companies steal your money an not refunding anything.
    Gdemami
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Premium subscription and consensual pvp.... disgusting

One person's disgusting is another's intriguing.

Torval said:

Ruleset changes to provide a more consensual PvP experience across more
    of the map for those who wish to play without fear of ganking
    Sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors doublespeak to me. "more consensual PvP" what does that even mean? If they can't be straightforward and clear then they're either hiding something or being straight up dishonest.

It could be the option to consent to open PvP anywhere in the world, as opposed to only the area now designated for it. Shroud of the Avatar has a similar option, and if I recall correctly Asheron's Call did as well for the servers not devoted exclusively to PvP.

That would allow each individual player to opt in to spontaneous PvP anywhere, or to restrict their vulnerability to designated PvP areas only.

I think such a system would suit many players.
    Torval said:
    Hexipox said:

That's interesting because it directly contradicts what they've just said about their game and how they want it to have broad appeal. Player perception of what they think a game is and should be and what the devs think are completely different.

They are hoping to make their niche of appeal relatively more broad by appealing more to PvE focused players in the hope that population gained will be greater than the PvP focused population lost due to the changes. I highly doubt that by broad they mean massive.
    paulytheb said:
    Oyjord said:

Can you lose your stuff? Yes. It's a PVP game.
    But hours of progression? No way.

Perhaps he spent the time to craft his own gear, and felt the performance boost it provided to be a progression over his previous situation, and that advantage was eliminated by the subsequent loss of it. Whether you agree with that perspective or not, if that is the one he holds your contrary opinion won't sway him otherwise.

Regardless, that he isn't keen on such losses explains his desire for an official PvE shard. As it happens he is largely going to get what he wants. LoA will now only be a PvP game to the extent each particular person wants on the official servers. The products of his invested time will not be so easily taken again, unless he opts for that risk.
    Arterius said:
    I backed the game for $100 years ago so I will for sure jump in on August 6th to see what changed. Eve is fun but I wouldn't mind branching out. Though Torchlight Frontiers has been taking all my MMO time lately.
    How have you been finding Torchlight Frontiers, if you don't mind me asking?
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    I backed the game for $100 years ago so I will for sure jump in on August 6th to see what changed. Eve is fun but I wouldn't mind branching out. Though Torchlight Frontiers has been taking all my MMO time lately.
    The game is out of NDA so I don't mind. I don't get much MMO time a night so I can't speak on how it will be 100's of hours in. I am only a few dozen hours so that is how I will preface this.

As for the game itself I like it quite a bit. I am playing as the Railmaster and it is such a unique class in the MMO scene. You lay down track and a train follows you. The skills you activate change the kind of ammo the train shoots at enemies. The area's are really interesting and diverse as of right now. Though like in quite a few ARPG's you will be running through the area more then once to do missions. Also as of right now the maps do not seem randomized. 

Their also isn't a huge variety in enemies right now so I don't know if that is going to change down the line. However, you do fight different enemies depending on if its day or night outside which I find a nice touch. The story right now is nothing to special. It's passable and I can't remember a single quest after I log out for the night. The other problem I have is that they spawn much to quickly. You kill a group and they respawn before you can even have a chance to move two steps. Which I find weird because for the most part the game is like PoE. Their is a central hub and the area's are solo unless your in a team. Unless I am missing something.

Their is room for improvement but the combat and how things gel together is so well done that I can't help but have a good time while I play the game. I would be shocked if it launched in 2019. It seems like only %50 of the game is included right now, if that. They also have a massive roadmap that has quite a few huge updates that are still pretty far out it seems.

If it launched right now the game would be a fart in the wind and I would lose interest. Knowing this game is in Alpha makes me hope that this game will only improve. The only problem I have is with the people publishing the game. They have said that the cash shop will be taking its que from PoE but from what I hear the people publishing the game are known for massive P2W mechanics. So I am hoping that they stay true to their word. It will be sad if that's what they have planned but the publisher thinks differently.  

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I feel that the game has already improved a fair bit since initial launch. They did add a few monsters in the last update if you haven't had a chance to play since, along with the pet revisions.

The quick respawn rate is meant to accommodate concurrent play by those not grouped together. Most of the overland areas allow for this, but when player population is sparse it can get rather overwhelming, especially in the night phase. Instanced areas don't allow concurrent play by those not grouped, so can be cleared.

So far the cash shop is limited to relic slots, stash tabs, and character slots. Time will tell how this changes in future.

Perfect World is... variable. They do have f2p games with heavy cash shops, but also b2p ones without. They offer both previous Torchlight games as b2p. Since there relationship with Torchlight has a few more wrinkles than is typical, I'm not sure how things will settle as far as the cash shop goes. It may very well be more akin to PoE than their own f2p titles.

I mainly play Forged myself. Perhaps our paths will cross some day.
    [Deleted User]
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    The game is out of NDA so I don't mind. I don't get much MMO time a night so I can't speak on how it will be 100's of hours in. I am only a few dozen hours so that is how I will preface this.

As for the game itself I like it quite a bit. I am playing as the Railmaster and it is such a unique class in the MMO scene. You lay down track and a train follows you. The skills you activate change the kind of ammo the train shoots at enemies. The area's are really interesting and diverse as of right now. Though like in quite a few ARPG's you will be running through the area more then once to do missions. Also as of right now the maps do not seem randomized. 

Their also isn't a huge variety in enemies right now so I don't know if that is going to change down the line. However, you do fight different enemies depending on if its day or night outside which I find a nice touch. The story right now is nothing to special. It's passable and I can't remember a single quest after I log out for the night. The other problem I have is that they spawn much to quickly. You kill a group and they respawn before you can even have a chance to move two steps. Which I find weird because for the most part the game is like PoE. Their is a central hub and the area's are solo unless your in a team. Unless I am missing something.

Their is room for improvement but the combat and how things gel together is so well done that I can't help but have a good time while I play the game. I would be shocked if it launched in 2019. It seems like only %50 of the game is included right now, if that. They also have a massive roadmap that has quite a few huge updates that are still pretty far out it seems.

If it launched right now the game would be a fart in the wind and I would lose interest. Knowing this game is in Alpha makes me hope that this game will only improve. The only problem I have is with the people publishing the game. They have said that the cash shop will be taking its que from PoE but from what I hear the people publishing the game are known for massive P2W mechanics. So I am hoping that they stay true to their word. It will be sad if that's what they have planned but the publisher thinks differently.  

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I feel that the game has already improved a fair bit since initial launch. They did add a few monsters in the last update if you haven't had a chance to play since, along with the pet revisions.

The quick respawn rate is meant to accommodate concurrent play by those not grouped together. Most of the overland areas allow for this, but when player population is sparse it can get rather overwhelming, especially in the night phase. Instanced areas don't allow concurrent play by those not grouped, so can be cleared.

So far the cash shop is limited to relic slots, stash tabs, and character slots. Time will tell how this changes in future.

Perfect World is... variable. They do have f2p games with heavy cash shops, but also b2p ones without. They offer both previous Torchlight games as b2p. Since there relationship with Torchlight has a few more wrinkles than is typical, I'm not sure how things will settle as far as the cash shop goes. It may very well be more akin to PoE than their own f2p titles.

I mainly play Forged myself. Perhaps our paths will cross some day.
    Since I got invited to the Alpha I have been playing every night. Granted I was only accepted a few weeks ago.
    I'm glad you got the chance to give it a go. I was lucky enough to get in right from the start, but haven't been playing it every day. It started out quite rough, with poor performance and frequent disconnects. It is a much better state now, so I'm pretty optimistic that will continue.
    [Deleted User]
  • illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Scorchien said:

Dont be fooled by imitations ,

There is only one place to Get the UO experience ...

https://uo.com/

Except...EA.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.