Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't Sleep On The Lord of the Rings Online Just Yet - MMORPG.com

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    if only they upgraded the animations , models maybe is too much , but melee animations and some spells are so bad...and barely noticiable.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    edited July 2019
    I would think things are expensive to new players not catching a sale, but I haven't had to worry about that ever, because I've had a lifetime sub and just use my built up shop currency to buy any new expacs....

I think SSG's biggest hurdle is not being able to backwards engineer the original game's systems onto anything they can then update.

The things they do add don't always jive well with the game. I noticed lots of graphical glitches to some of the details they've added on the progression servers. Poor Devs...

Gut Out!
    [Deleted User]Sovrath

What, me worry?

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    edited July 2019
    Torval said:
    Utinni said:
    Sovrath said:
    Utinni said:
    Great game aside from the cash shop icon on literally every element of the UI. Every panel, tab, bag, item, character sheet, guild tab.... you name it and its got a cash shop icon on it. It's annoying to have basic things like inventory space locked behind cash shop (even while subbed, none of this changes) but its more annoying to have the shop be so intrusive.
    You can buy inventory space with in game money.

It is intrusive to have that little icon everywhere. 

I only played on the progression server and definitely couldn't buy inventory space with in game money. Good to know the regular servers can though. I had a great time playing the game so I didn't have an issue spending $50 for a few months of convenience. Mostly lost interest because the early expansions have zero endgame content to do.
    You can definitely buy inventory space with in game gold on any server. It's the way it has always worked. You can expand that beyond the cap with real money purchases. All storage types can be increased with real money beyond what is free or purchased with gold.
    • As of Update 18, a total of 135 Inventory Bag Slots are available to all account types.
    These are only available for purchase in the on-line store, in units of 5 known as: "Inventory: +5 Slots" at a cost of 325 LOTRO Point  for each unit. 

Are you calling LOTRO points "gold" by chance?  Lets also not forget the "Premium Wallet" you need to buy too. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited July 2019
    Renfail said:

In other words, it’s not set during the Third Age like LOTRO is. Completely different time period without the heroes and characters that most know and love.

Some folks should be around then, maybe? Elrond, Tom Bombadil, Gandalf?  I'm no expert but some some of them are very old.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I played LOTRO a bit when I was in between PoE seasons. It is a typical MMO, a nice MMO with good community, but it's like all the other games i've played. 

If i was forced to play an MMO though, it would probably be between ESO, LOTRO, or that old gorgon one that i played and wanted to buy but never did because I got distracted with other games. 

Actually, if i couldn't play EVE, then i'd play one of those, btu if i had to play an MMO it would be EVE. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Amathe said:
    Renfail said:

In other words, it’s not set during the Third Age like LOTRO is. Completely different time period without the heroes and characters that most know and love.

Some folks should be around then, maybe? Elrond, Tom Bombadil, Gandalf maybe?  I'm no expert some some of them are very old.
    Yes but it is really down to will it be second or third age? The third age started with the events you see at the start of Fellowship of the Ring. It is an age of man, Dwarves and Elves are in decline for various reasons. In some way the Elves have passed on the torch of civilization for humanity to lead in middle earth. In the second age humans were still tribes peoples moving into feudal societies (I always thought that was a little vague to be honest) and all the great events were the domain of Elves and Dwarves. There are some exceptions like the tale of the Edain and Huor.
    edited July 2019
    Torval said:

Here's a bit of heresy for you. I don't even play LotRO as a Lord of the Rings game anymore. I play it much more like a traditional high fantasy MMO and don't pay attention to dialog, story, or lore. I'd rather have a Hobbit LM or Champ than some new lore appropriate quest line. Some quests or instances are memorable and I have access to the story when I want, but I'm so familiar with it that it bores me.
    I am putting your name forward to the torturers of Dol Guldar as I type this. :)

Might I suggest that it can be a bit repetitive because it has been stolen borrowed from again and again. From DnD to Warhammer Fantasy which hardly even changed the names when it came to the Dwarves!
    Post edited by Scot on
    Renfail[Deleted User]
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited July 2019
    Scot said:
    Renfail said:
    Something many folks may be misunderstanding is that as per the original press release in late 2018 (http://www.athlongames.com/athlon-games-partners-with-middle-earth-enterprises): Athlon Games is working with a partner developer to create an online game set in the world of Middle-earth™ at a time long before the events of The Lord of the Rings, exploring lands, people and creatures never seen before by fans of the Tolkien universe.

Amazon and associated studios only have the rights to content set beyond the scope of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Which is why they are setting their show and associated productions in the Second Age.

The Second Age covers roughly 3,400 years, during which time the Ring of Power was created. The Second Age ended with the defeat of Sauron’s army.

The end of the Third Age, after the heroes of the Lord of the Rings destroyed the Ring and headed off to the Undying Lands, is 3,000+ (3021 if I’m not mistaken) years from the end of the Second Age.

In other words, the new show AND associated productions are going to be set between 3000 and 6000 years PRIOR to Third Age content.

There have been multiple press releases on this over the past year or so.

The new game will not impact SSG's LOTRO in any way, shape, or form, as the new game will not be touching any content related to Lord of the Rings.
    So are we talking the rise of the Witch King here (for players who are now confused he first came to prominence about 1500 years before the events in LotR), with Arthedain and Cardolan? That is a great and obvious choice from the third age anyway. But you are saying second age which puts a whole different spin on things, more Elves and Dwarves less Men.

I think people here are more concerned with how a new game would effect the Lotro play base, not on how close the story is. I don't think the playerbase will be that effected at all mind you.

P.S I belatedly realised you have changed your picture, did not realise you were a Tolkien fan. Hopefully you stick with that one, impossible to keep track of peeps otherwise. :)
    There's no official word on when the game will be set. The show that Amazon is producing is firmly set in the Second Age (they have made several announcements to this effect). One could assume that the game will also be set in the same era so they can take advantage of shared art styles and characters that they will be making "famous" from the show and thus the game, but anything at this point is purely theorycrafting in regards to the "when" the game will be set. 

The only thing we know for sure is when the new show is set, and what rights they purchased from the folks over at Middle Earth, which are 2nd age-related, and what Athlon Games said in their press release: The game is set "at a time long before the events of The Lord of the Rings, exploring lands, people and creatures never seen before by fans of the Tolkien universe."

And yes, I'm a bit of a Middle Earth junkie. Not a purist, mind you, but I'm reasonably intimate with the lore, and enjoy any/all permutations that show up in the various mediums such as TV/Film/Games. I've also used Tolkien over the years to discuss what defines epic in a storyline to showcase what we're building with our own game. 

New photo = my wife did some new headshots for me a few months back (had to get some new shots for some upcoming conferences we're speaking at), so I've been updating my profiles here and there as I have time. Also ended up shaving off the four-month beard that had been accumulating birds and twigs... 
    Scot
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Sovrath said:
    Hariken said:

Utinni said:

Great game aside from the cash shop icon on literally every element of the UI. Every panel, tab, bag, item, character sheet, guild tab.... you name it and its got a cash shop icon on it. It's annoying to have basic things like inventory space locked behind cash shop (even while subbed, none of this changes) but its more annoying to have the shop be so intrusive.

Don't forget about them selling those quest packs too.
    All people have to do is pay the sub and they get all the quests. 

The older expansion are only 20.00 so one could feasibly pay for them over time.

This game isn't that expensive.
    I have bought quite a few of the expansions yet there are zones closed to me unless I sub.or pay for those packs. Buying expansions should be enough.
    edited July 2019
    It looks like it may be Second Age then. It is a bit like someone said 'why don't we do a TV series on the early Batman years' and they end up doing Shazam instead of Gotham, that's how big a difference it will be. So I am not sure film fans are going to quite at home right away, but if you love Elves and Dwarves you are mithril quid's in. The Edain are bound to feature it may even revolve around their story to cut down on all the pointy ears and big beard special effects needed. :)
    Renfail[Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    It looks like it may be Second Age then. It is a bit like someone said 'why don't we do a TV series on the early Batman years' and they end up doing Shazam instead of Gotham, that's how big a difference it will be. So I am not sure film fans are going to quite at home right away, but if you love Elves and Dwarves you are mithril quid's in. The Edain are bound to feature it may even revolve around their story to cut down on all the pointy ears and big beard special effects needed. :)
    It probably depends on whether they give us the cheery chipper Peter Jackson elves and dwarves or if we get the more realistic nasty backstabbing betrayal dwarves and elves. People always think of elves as good and pure, but that's not accurate. The First and Second Ages are a lot more gray and morally messy than the Third Age in my opinion.

Something to think about. What kind of elf (Celebrimbor) would create the rings of power knowing their potential and how they could be abused? How could someone of such stature allow themselves to be so easily deluded by the treacherous Sauron (who wasn't called Sauron then).
    But look at history, very smart and talented people always created things because they could, because they wanted to see what was possible. It was the "other people" who then thought how they could use it for their own personal gain.
    [Deleted User]Scot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Meet Elrond Half-elven.

The perfect hero of the Second Age. Of course there are lots of stories in the Second Age, but Elrond's is the only one that connects to the trilogy movies and is known by every fan of LOTR. His personal history is epic enough to support an MMO(g).

As for the game itself, I have little expectation that it will be out any time soon. Other than map published yesterday, there's been nothing, not even thematic artwork or logo. That makes me think that they are still in early stages.

I particularly don't expect it to be an open world MMO like LOTRO. No one makes those any more.
    [Deleted User]Scot
  • SindocatSindocat Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I have played off and on since 2010 or so - mostly off, to be honest - and even my most accomplished characters have yet to even enter Moria. The world is beautifully realized, and my elven Minstrel was sufficiently moved that for his sake, I started composing verse in Sindarin, praising the stars and the Valar.

I wish a particularly distinct morning/evening star were actually in the skybox, like the sun and moon. Instead, I settle for singing to Earendil at dawn or dusk, depending:

"Elo! i estel Eldamar, naur o Fëanor, calad aur no Anor a Isil onnin! Eärendil, gil-galanwain!"

Much as I have enjoyed rambles from the Ered Luin to the Fords of Bruinen and Rivendell beyond, and from the North Downs to the borders of Eregion, as well as exploring various crafting options, leveling is painfully slow for a free player.

I am a huge Tolkien fan (I actually read Christopher Tolkien's histories), and feel the development team made a decent attempt at staying true to the material, within the limitations of the genre. But progress has felt far too slow to keep me involved, and the playerbase is small, clannish, and hard for a newcomer to make a place in.

(I did have the privilege, at one point, of performing as a member of Mar Vanwa Taliyeva at Weatherstock - but it was far more work than fun, and far more OOC logistics than anything approaching roleplay, which is what I had been looking for.)

Is it lovely? Yes. Is it dated? Yes. Has Standing Stone done a good job of not only keeping it running, but continuing the expansion of the game? Still again, yes! There is a lot to like, here. But there is a lot about the game and its community that makes it hard to settle in and stay.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]Scotlotrlore
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    The community is "good" because it's 99% carebears and roleplayers. They insta ban any negative talk. I lasted a week before 3 chat bans which resulted in perm ban. Lol. I wasn't even talking bad as a single curse word.

I just said things like "oh comeon LOTRO isn't the best game out there."

3 reports of trolling and you're permabanned.

Don't mind they are my real thoughts and these degenerates just knee-jerked to reporting as trolling.

Those people aren't worth a hill of beans.
    Ok, we get the fact you do not like the game, but the rest of your diatribe is just complete nonsense.  Grow up!
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]kenguru23Scot
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Utinni said:

Sovrath said:

Utinni said:

You can buy inventory space with in game money.

It is intrusive to have that little icon everywhere. 

I only played on the progression server and definitely couldn't buy inventory space with in game money. Good to know the regular servers can though. I had a great time playing the game so I didn't have an issue spending $50 for a few months of convenience. Mostly lost interest because the early expansions have zero endgame content to do.

It's not in game money, it's Turbine Points or whatever they're called now. I think it's 395 points per extra row. You can buy the points for real world money but also earn them for completing stuff such as deeds in game.
    Ozmodan
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited July 2019
    ReaperUk said:

It's not in game money, it's Turbine Points or whatever they're called now. I think it's 395 points per extra row. You can buy the points for real world money but also earn them for completing stuff such as deeds in game.
    no in game gold.

But this f'ing site! it won't allow me to upload a photo.

I just logged in with two characters on Arnor and I have options to pay for space with silver. As soon as I can figure out a way to show these screenshots I will.

So this is on Arnor ... I'm not sure how many times one can upgreadewith silver but see silver!

here is another charater. You have to look through the photobucketcrap but you can see an option to buy with silver. However, looking at the option, once you expand to all your chests THEN you can expand beyond them with turbine points.

[Deleted User]kenguru23
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • milnecatmilnecat Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I still subscribe on two accounts with Lotro, and am enjoying the new content and the Legendary servers. I've been playing LOTRO for eight years.

I have done the COD series (from the beginning), Eve Online (for years), thousands of hours (modded and not) on Skyrim and Fallout 4, and did the World of Tanks/Planes/Ships franchise justice, too. But I always come back to LOTRO.

I'd love to see the same content reborn in modern graphics.

I like Western Gondor quite a bit, though I always enjoy the North Downs.
    SovrathOzmodankenguru23

==================
    This IS my signature!

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited July 2019
    Sovrath said:
    ReaperUk said:
    no in game gold.

I just logged in with two characters on Arnor and I have options to pay for space with silver. 

So this is on Arnor ... I'm not sure how many times one can upgrade with silver but see silver!

here is another character. You have to look through the photobucketcrap but you can see an option to buy with silver. However, looking at the option, once you expand to all your chests THEN you can expand beyond them with turbine points.

OK, Just to step in here before things start to get thrown ....... You're both right, because you're talking about 2, that's TWO different things.

INVENTORY:   

On your character; as in inventory bags, can only be upgraded via store points.

In the bank:  Personal and Shared storage (not inventory) can be upgraded to a certain point with in game gold, after you hit that max (which I have) you then have to use store points if you want to increase it more.
    [Deleted User]Sovrath

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Torval said:
    There is a lot of horrible monetization in the game (personal opinion) but inventory/storage isn't one of them. Those unlocks are account wide except personal storage which works on the gold/store points method. When I create a character on any server I have max shared storage, max wardrobe, and all my inventory slots already unlocked. The account wide riding perk is also a really good idea if you're an alt + multiserver person.

The account unlocks in LotRO are great. The nickel and dime services. Premium Housing, LI stuff, gear, and buffs/boons are not. No one should have to pay to disable XP. Tying LI progression and massive grind reduction to the cash shop sucks. The Loot Crates and Mithril Coins are especially repulsive.
    I agree about the monetization, but the point being you it is easy to earn turbine points to buy most of those things.  Beyond the sub I pay I have all those things and more on two accounts.  I have never bought Turbine points ever.    Now if you are into all the customized mounts and clothing you probably are going to have to buy points.
    [Deleted User]
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Still one of the best MMO's out there. Graphics still hold up even for a 12yr old game. I don't play it as often as I used to but I still come back for the new content and holiday events.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    This has always been one I wish I'd gotten into more when it first launched, but could never get my friends to hop in as they were still focused on DDO. Since I don't really play MMOs for single-player experiences, ended up passing on it in spite of personal interest.

Really hope Standing Stone is able to sort out more to do with both games and keep them running.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    I have two life time accounts but havent played in maybe 3 years. I havent even logged in in months.

I probably should go in and check out all the new content since I last played. Last time I spent any more than an hour was when they redid the housing and sold those new ones for the special currency. So whenever that was. But even with that it was still the same stupid hook placements nonsense.

I have thought about trying to sell one of the accounts but havent. Neither can post on the forums, as mentioned theyre pretty Draconian there when it comes to criticisms. But I suspect both have over 25K TP on them now so thats worth something I am sure.

Best IP ever but still failing in a lot of areas. But I suppose in the grand scheme it has done better than any of the Star Wars IP games (including SWG) so having a great IP might actually be a detriment at least if its one that can be 'studied'.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    rodarin said:
    But even with that it was still the same stupid hook placements nonsense.
    Still? They've added more hooks and made the placement so flexible you can move stuff even through rooms or floors...

I'm usually the first on calling a dev team's bluff when they're pointing at small team or lower budget as an excuse, but in this case I believe they did the best possible within the realms of the original code. If you hate the hook-based housing systems, that's fine.

But how "more" could give a hookless system, for the cost of a ton of work and a complete rewrite of the system? Only the numbers. You could add more stuff into the house at once than currently, with the hook count there as a cap.
    Is it necessary enough to justify the effort? I honestly don't think so.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Mostly - enjoying.
    For me, Lotro has the best atmosphere: warm, inviting, immersing. You manage to meet characters you really care about (Nona/Horn). Questing in regions with their own stories where bravery and treachery intertwins and evil is everywhere (Rohan). Even meeting not-too-friendly Lossoth and observing famous aurora borealis. Travelling through sleepy, lazy Shire. Experiencing dread and evil of Mordor, yet enjoying almost every minute there. Meeting villains you really want to slaughter (Grima) or scheming ones (Lhaereth).
    Experiencing some kind of humour (famous "Isengard bids 5"...only to be counter-measured by "Goats of Moria bids 1"). Knowing culture of other races.
    Very, very good f2p model since you can purchase almost everything with Lotro points, spending zero real currency.

My favourite spot? Rohan, these beautifull green planes, great stories - love this region, reading every line of quest text (typically skipping in other regions). For relaxation - Forochel (aurora borealis), Eregion (night rainbow: Gandalf, stop your sorcery..), Evendim.

SSG interpretation? Mostly nice, though there are really low quality regions (ever-night part of Gondor, Ithilien, Wastes) not worth 1 Lotro point. There are wasted opportunities (Dwarf strongholds with no stronghold and map that is of zero use; grumpy dark part of N.Mirkwood). But there are great, epic lands like Rohan and Mordor - great to quest and explore.

In short - I mostly enjoy Lotro and do not think there would be any real competitor. Some nice game with real cash shop, nice animations - yes. No other game has such atmosphere and nice community like Lotro - so SSG's creation is destined to live without any competition.
    Scot
    Sindocat said:
    I have played off and on since 2010 or so - mostly off, to be honest - and even my most accomplished characters have yet to even enter Moria. The world is beautifully realized, and my elven Minstrel was sufficiently moved that for his sake, I started composing verse in Sindarin, praising the stars and the Valar.

I wish a particularly distinct morning/evening star were actually in the skybox, like the sun and moon. Instead, I settle for singing to Earendil at dawn or dusk, depending:

"Elo! i estel Eldamar, naur o Fëanor, calad aur no Anor a Isil onnin! Eärendil, gil-galanwain!"

Much as I have enjoyed rambles from the Ered Luin to the Fords of Bruinen and Rivendell beyond, and from the North Downs to the borders of Eregion, as well as exploring various crafting options, leveling is painfully slow for a free player.

I am a huge Tolkien fan (I actually read Christopher Tolkien's histories), and feel the development team made a decent attempt at staying true to the material, within the limitations of the genre. But progress has felt far too slow to keep me involved, and the playerbase is small, clannish, and hard for a newcomer to make a place in.

(I did have the privilege, at one point, of performing as a member of Mar Vanwa Taliyeva at Weatherstock - but it was far more work than fun, and far more OOC logistics than anything approaching roleplay, which is what I had been looking for.)

Is it lovely? Yes. Is it dated? Yes. Has Standing Stone done a good job of not only keeping it running, but continuing the expansion of the game? Still again, yes! There is a lot to like, here. But there is a lot about the game and its community that makes it hard to settle in and stay.
    Welcome to the forums! :)