Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria To Release On Steam August 6th

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageLegends of Aria To Release On Steam August 6th

Upcoming MMO Legends of Aria has finally been given a release date! We spoke with the team at Citadel Studios as they prep the ambitious sandbox MMO for release early August.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Premium subscription and consensual pvp.... disgusting
    KyleranFacelessSaviorManWithNoTanFolmenTokkengastovski1Roin
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Arterius said:

This was my biggest MMO letdown. I remember hearing about this game and being so excited. I am just hoping that a few years down the line I can check on the game and find a fan-made shard I can play in that is mostly PVE. I don't mind PVP but this game is kind of a gankfest.

You should read the interview. :D
    SBFordalkarionlogFolmenTokkenDavodtheTuttHexipoxgastovski1

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I give 3 months before the b2p become f2p :p
    Tokken
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282

Arterius said:

This was my biggest MMO letdown. I remember hearing about this game and being so excited. I am just hoping that a few years down the line I can check on the game and find a fan-made shard I can play in that is mostly PVE. I don't mind PVP but this game is kind of a gankfest.

Maybe you should re-read the interview! :O
    Mensur[Deleted User]FacelessSaviorFolmengastovski1TacticalZombehLecram6468Grintch
    Was thinking of the wrong one! -

From Mein-MMO:

"MeinMMO: With the new update you want to tackle the problem of ganking in LoA. For many (especially fans of Ultima Online), Open PvP is a very important feature. How do you fight Ganking and Griefing without giving up the PvP fans?

Derek Brinkmann: In an open PvP environment that supports both PvE and PvP, a status quo quickly develops. If this is not well tuned, it can often lead to an imbalance in the participation of players in different areas, as well as in the context of content and, ultimately, the long-term success of a virtual world.

The changes we make will adjust our rules to what our players do week after week. However, we definitely want to increase the opportunity for players to participate in our new and future content in Celador. This means that we have significantly expanded the size and content of our protected areas.

What we've done with this release is to put the majority of "middle" to endgame items in the protected area of ​​the world while ensuring that high-end material, gold and skill resources can be gained in the unrestricted PvP space.

This gives players who want to play relatively safely access to most of the game's content. Nevertheless, we still have adequate rewards for the players who would like to have the risk of adventure in unrestricted areas.

This new approach to the Legends of Aria rules will also benefit PvP players. No more teleportation restrictions for nasty players and they are no longer banned from cities and communities. We offer a variety of friendly PvP options that allow unrestricted PvP combat throughout the game (alliances and guild wars).

By scaling down the wilderness area to Barren Lands (which is still a huge area), the open PvP battles become more concentrated and it becomes easier to find battles.

The "Awakening Spawns" remain hard-fought events with big rewards and are still being expanded. In this update, we're launching a new revival encounter in the iconic town of Ruins of the Artificer, which is a great place for a "King of the Hill" experience.
    ThupliNepheth[Deleted User]Tokkeninfomatz

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Ltldogg said:

Arterius said:

Please stop with the "no, you" argument. It adds no value to the discussion, and is very much below the expected level of posts here, this isn't Barrens Chat.
    This applies to everyone doing it, not just the person I quoted, who is simply the last person in the chain when I posted this.
    KyleranFacelessSaviorgastovski1TacticalZombehSailorMom

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

Torval said:
    Ruleset changes to provide a more consensual PvP experience across more of the map for those who wish to play without fear of ganking
    Sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors doublespeak to me. "more consensual PvP" what does that even mean? If they can't be straightforward and clear then they're either hiding something or being straight up dishonest.
    That's not the intent, at all. The safe zones in Celador are getting much more massive, and the "FFA" area much smaller. There can still be PVP in the safe zones, but players basically have to both agree to it.
    [Deleted User]KyleranManWithNoTanTokken

My Review Manifesto

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Shards online was the great idea these guys had. This is far away from the promised paradise. This is crap.
    LtldoggManWithNoTanGdemamiSamhael

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

barasawa said:

Ltldogg said:

Arterius said:

Please stop with the "no, you" argument. It adds no value to the discussion, and is very much below the expected level of posts here, this isn't Barrens Chat.

This applies to everyone doing it, not just the person I quoted, who is simply the last person in the chain when I posted this.

Your post is adding no value. Get off your high horse and stop trying to police these forums. If you see an issue, report it to the mods. But, as for my post, it was valid because clearly Bill's response to Arterius was invalid. So I pointed Bill to re-read the interview, which Arterius is right in saying did not address the point being made.

BillMurphyManWithNoTanGdemami
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    These guys have some balls, they pulled their game like 2 or 3 times from Steam one of which if i recall correctly was on release day...err steam release day.

Would have bought it back then, now ? Not a chance
    Ltldogg[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited July 2019

Arterius said:

These guys have some balls, they pulled their game like 2 or 3 times from Steam one of which if i recall correctly was on release day...err steam release day.

Yeah 3 times. I am 99% sure. Its been a mess. I think they were supposed to release on a steam more then a year ago now

Yes, a company's history/past actions matter including claims they made. Not that a company cannot course correct but the burden of proof is on them and until then, I do not give such a company the benefit of doubt. Although I'm starving for a great game, I have been burned so much by MMOs in the last decade (and even beyond) that I'm content to be patient and wait for reviews and ratings before making a purchase.
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User][Deleted User]Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Ruleset changes to provide a more consensual PvP experience across more of the map for those who wish to play without fear of ganking
    Sounds like a lot of smoke and mirrors doublespeak to me. "more consensual PvP" what does that even mean? If they can't be straightforward and clear then they're either hiding something or being straight up dishonest.
    That's not the intent, at all. The safe zones in Celador are getting much more massive, and the "FFA" area much smaller. There can still be PVP in the safe zones, but players basically have to both agree to it.
    Why not just release a PvE server with an appropriate ruleset? Why do their still need to be ffa zones for PvE players? What typically happens is those zones are heavily leveraged to encourage players to use them. Albion does this. WoW does this. So many games do this, but it is a half answer. What players want and ask for is a PvE environment. What players get is a system that tries to encourage and push them into PvP.

I'm still not sold.
    You know the answer already, wolves need sheep to feed on, it's their desired 'content' so devs try very hard to fool the PVE crowd into believing this game will be different somehow. 

Even though the reality is none ever were nor will ever be.

ManWithNoTan[Deleted User]gunklackerGinazGdemamiwhodisoneguy[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I remember this game. This was the one that @delete5230 posted about 50 times it was the greatest thing ever and the one "true mmorpg" - until he decided it sucked. Oh wait, that's every game really.
    [Deleted User]dragonlee66KyleranDavodtheTuttkenguru23infomatzgastovski1TacticalZombehSamhael[Deleted User]and 2 others.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2019
    The end game zones will still be PvP enabled (re: gankfest) apparently.

Which means basically 99% of the zones people play in will be the PvP gankfest zones after most players reach endgame and thus only hang out in the (pvp-enabled/gankfest) endgame zones.

Kinda like Albion Online where there are safe zones but because they aren't endgame, no one really uses them later on.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]3domGdemami[Deleted User]DragonJockey
  • vicentesoulvicentesoul Member UncommonPosts: 49
    LoA with albion smoothness in character movement and combat could be a thing, now its just click and wait to grind, it makes no sense to play this game because isnt fun.
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Maybe it is just me...but i can not stand to play a game where when you fight, you just swing through whatever you are fighting.

It just looks so fake and weird , (and old i guess) to have combat like this anymore. Just watching that bit made me sure i would not care to play this game. If combat can not be even a little interesting to look at, what is the point?
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Dont be fooled by imitations ,

There is only one place to Get the UO experience ...

https://uo.com/

[Deleted User]Tokken[Deleted User]illutian
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    Tiamat64 said:

Which means basically 99% of the zones people play in will be the PvP gankfest zones after most players reach endgame and thus only hang out in the (pvp-enabled/gankfest) endgame zones.

Kinda like Albion Online where there are safe zones but because they aren't endgame, no one really uses them later on.
    Albion is exactly what I had in mind responding to Bill. I get what he's saying and it sounds good on paper, but we've been down this road a million times before and it's always the same. It always ends up that cool stuff is gated behind the pvp zones. A few other recent PvP mmos, with pve zones or flagging, have done this too.
    Not sure there's any way around it, even in PVE devs often incentive players to tackle the hardest content by rewarding them with more, like raid gear or what not.

Otherwise, why would most folks bother with the extra hassle unless there was good reason.

Weirdly enough, EVE got strangely turned upside down to the point where null sec became more profitable and safer than the PVE zones, definitely not the way to go IMO.

[Deleted User]Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I’ve been playing on and off for years as an early backer. But every time I start having fun (and there’s a lot of fun to be had here), I get ganked by someone infinitely strong than me. Losing hours of progress to a basement dwelling sociopath is not why I play games.

I’ve asked for an official PvE shard for years, and have been viciously shouted down every time.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]kenguru23[Deleted User]paulythebRich84DragonJockey
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited July 2019
    Well, I bought into the game early when it was Shards Online.  The game has certainly changed /evolved in a direction I didn't expect.  Good and bad. I have played some of the betas and the early launch (before the Steam launch).  I stopped playing and took some time to sit back and wait to see if it got better.  I look forward to seeing where the game is at at steam launch.  All I can do is hope for the best.  I'm glad they're addressing some of the PvP issues and implementing the profession guide system.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Tiamat64 said:

Albion is exactly what I had in mind responding to Bill. I get what he's saying and it sounds good on paper, but we've been down this road a million times before and it's always the same. It always ends up that cool stuff is gated behind the pvp zones. A few other recent PvP mmos, with pve zones or flagging, have done this too.
    Not sure there's any way around it, even in PVE devs often incentive players to tackle the hardest content by rewarding them with more, like raid gear or what not.

Otherwise, why would most folks bother with the extra hassle unless there was good reason.

Weirdly enough, EVE got strangely turned upside down to the point where null sec became more profitable and safer than the PVE zones, definitely not the way to go IMO.

The way around it is what every PvE game does.  Make hard bosses give better rewards.  Of course, if PvP did that instead, they might as well be a PvE game instead.

But... the way they do it now?  They basically trick PvE players into thinking they can PvE without being ganked until those players reach end game at which point the hard reality hits them that the rest of their (likely brief if they made it that far) in-game lives will now be subject to a gankfest.

That's what happens when PvE players fail to read the fine print of "Oh, we have safe zones and most zones are safe zones! Just not the end zones!"  Though I imagine most by now know better which is a likely contributing reason these open PvP MMOgames keep failing hard.
    KyleranGdemami[Deleted User]
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 557
    Hey all,

Joseph here - we realized that when this was put into the CMS this morning part of our interview was cut off by (me) improperly placing an image via HTML. We've added this portion back to the post, but I'll place it here as well for easy viewing. 

Apologies on the inconvenience as we still learn our way around the backend of the site!

MMORPG: One thing that has been a big area of contention has been player killers in places like the most sought-after gathering areas. With the potential of many new players joining the fray, is there anything being done to mitigate frustration for those that may not be ready for those kinds of interactions?

Derek: What we have done with this release is to expand our protected zone to include most of the game world and mid to end game items, while still making sure the rate of gaining materials, gold and ability resources is high in the unrestricted PvP area. This gives players who want to enjoy relative safety access to the majority of the game’s content, while still providing adequate rewards for taking the risk of adventuring in unrestricted areas. We believe this new approach to the Legends of Aria ruleset will benefit PvPers. No more teleport restrictions on evil players and they are no longer outlawed from towns and cities. By decreasing the size of the wilderness area to just the Barren Lands (which is still a huge area) it will concentrate the open PvP fighting and it will be easier to find fights. Awakening spawns will remain highly competitive events with big rewards and are being expanded. In this update, we are launching a new awakening encounter in the cultist city, Ruins of the Artificer, which is an awesome place for a king of the hill style encounter. We also offer several consensual PvP options which allow for unrestricted PvP combat anywhere in the game (Allegiances and Guild Wars).

MMORPG: What can players look forward to in terms of the ongoing payment model for Legends of Aria? Will there be a cash shop? Subscription? Is Citadel Studios dedicated to ensuring there are no “pay to win” scenarios or will some semblance of power be gained in the event players are willing to pay a premium?

Thanks everyone. Feel free to ping me with any concerns/questions and appreciate your reading and outrageously thoughtful discussion!

[Deleted User]Tokken
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2019
    Watched Peon's video,this looks way too dated.
    [Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BluntedJBluntedJ Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited July 2019

Arterius said:

Yeah 3 times. I am 99% sure. Its been a mess. I think they were supposed to release on a steam more then a year ago now

My recollection was that when the "released" in like December 2018 they had so much interest that the servers could not handle the load. This was part of the reason they delayed the Steam release. I'm not making excuses for them. Clearly their tech was not up to the task of a game that clearly had a lot of interest.

As an aside to many here, please note that there are a few community servers that have different rulesets. Currently there are two PvE only servers. There is also one server, Legends of Ultima, that does a pretty good job of creating new content and different mechanics while trying to replicate T2A of UO (not a strict copy, just the basics are down and they are trying to spiritually create UO2).

As another aside, part of the appeal of the smaller servers is the community. Yeah, you can play a game with 1,000,000 people, but how many do you hang out with and get to know? 5, 10, 15, 20 tops that you interact with regularly. A lot of different MMORPG's have active communities but have a smaller player-base, and they thrive. Because of communities.
    Kyleran