Going to keep this simple. Do you believe the Item Level system is a Detriment or a Benefit for a healthy mmorpg? Why or Why Not?
I always try to view both sides of the coin persay when considering systems and mechanics of why the designer thought something would be effective or fun.
- Item Level can be a benefit to help track players progression in order to get them flagged for specific content.
- A lot of the times a high Item Level doesn't equate to being a good player.
- Players care more about your item level rather than you being a good player. Good players can not get invited to groups because they were stuck with a bad group. Increases toxicity of community.
- Content becomes more about a who has a high item level rather than about survivibility.
- It causes one dimensional gameplay and puts too much focus on gear dependency.
As of now, that's what I can think of, so my stance is it's more of a Detriment than a Benefit. What do you all think? Is there an alternative you'd prefer?