Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ducal picks delayed by one week

Comments

• Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Torrsk said:
    Question:  Once these maps on complete... will they actually exist as a gameworld that can be walked around in or will it just exist externally and still need to be created in the game engine?

I asked this question a few days back. Seems they are creating full game worlds. Not just the starting continent either, the whole world. Pretty impressive really. 

Also I had expected you to share Caspian latest meltdown. For shame good sir.
    You mean where he tried to ban “Finn” but he quit instead?  And then Caspien told everyone who couldn’t be totally supportive that they should leave?   Yeah I read it but... gets old and sad after awhile. Also I figured that since “Finn” posts here it would be up to him to tell the story. 

As to the game worlds.  That is promising info but I think I am justified in saying I will believe it when I see it.  Caspien has proven over and over again to say things that differ from reality.  He posted AGAIN (is this the 8th time?) that he is “almost done” with HIS part of DSS. Just a few more days of HIS work.  

Then of course the grade school teasing about how he’s been meeting a lot with 3rd party people but *wink wink nudge nudge* can’t say what it’s about...  Finn was right... he never learns and is doing the exact same shit as before.

I must have missed this one, do you by chance have some screenshots of the convo?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited July 2019
    This site's moderators frown on bringing too much drama from other forums so posting screen shots likely won't be well received. 

Just go to Discord and search on Caspian's name.

Go back about a day and a half, you'll see him call out Finn. Happened during his morning drive and it was equally priceless to see him vent his frustrations of not being able to kick Finn on the mobile version, but just you wait until he could get to his office and then the lightning would fall.

What's really scary...he's some child's father....geeze...  :# 

But then again, so am I....even scarier.

;)

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RenGinGinRenGinGin Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Someone made a video about the Finn/Caspian altercation.

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Slapshot1188 said:

You mean where he tried to ban “Finn” but he quit instead?  And then Caspien told everyone who couldn’t be totally supportive that they should leave?   Yeah I read it but... gets old and sad after awhile. Also I figured that since “Finn” posts here it would be up to him to tell the story. 

I more found it interesting that Caspian picked Finn to vent at. I have been getting into many different arguments/discussions with Finn over the last few months. Normally raging out myself, calling him a brown nose white knight. He has been heavily defending the game, way more than any honest criticism he has given them.

While Finn was just echoing what others were saying, in a way more blunt way. So from Caspian dismissing him so much, he threaten to ban him. Besides not even listening to any feedback. He just will never learn. Maybe we need Adam to tell him, then maybe he would finally listen.

I did get a good laugh at him doing his normal "I'm taking my toys and leaving" line. Which is probably what pushed Caspian over the edge, when Finn replied to that comment. 
    Gdemami
  • RenGinGinRenGinGin Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited July 2019
    Torrsk said:
    While Finn was just echoing what others were saying, in a way more blunt way. So from Caspian dismissing him so much, he threaten to ban him. Besides not even listening to any feedback. He just will never learn. Maybe we need Adam to tell him, then maybe he would finally listen.

Is that what the monarchs are there for anyways? Why would Caspian even listen to a bunch of plebs that aren't giving him money?
    RenGinGin said:

Is that what the monarchs are there for anyways? Why would Caspian even listen to a bunch of plebs that aren't giving him money?
    What? Finn himself has spent over 1k. Most others echoing the same concerns have spent the same amount. Sure that's nothing compared to Adam 30k+. But not like those of us saying Caspian should change, have all spent nothing. 

While even if he had spent nothing. Would that make his opinion instantly wrong?
    GdemamiMendel
  • DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited July 2019
    Torrsk said:
    While even if he had spent nothing. Would that make his opinion instantly wrong?
    I'm afraid that it is how it works when a game embraces whaling revenue model. This game has absolutely no option to be financially stable after the launch, with people already having 1,2,3 or more years of gametime on their accounts via sparks that they got in pledge, shop or via events.

And if someone thinks that studio will have hundreds of thousands new subscribers to support service running cost, well dream on. 
    GdemamiSlapshot1188kenguru23
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2019
    Torrsk said:
    RenGinGin said:

What? Finn himself has spent over 1k. Most others echoing the same concerns have spent the same amount. Sure that's nothing compared to Adam 30k+. But not like those of us saying Caspian should change, have all spent nothing. 

It makes his opinion only worth 1/30th of those 30k spenders when it comes to deciding to bother to listen on a "If I don't listen to this person, will they leave?" basis.

(The "Should I listen to this opinion because I can use it as feedback" line of reasoning does not exist to a person who thinks "I can do no wrong!" like Caspien)
    Gdemami
    Tiamat64 said:
    Torrsk said:
    RenGinGin said:

It makes his opinion only worth 1/30th of those 30k spenders when it comes to deciding to bother to listen on a "If I don't listen to this person, will they leave?" basis.

(The "Should I listen to this opinion because I can use it as feedback" line of reasoning does not exist to a person who thinks "I can do no wrong!" like Caspien)
    Doesn't matter if anyone who has already given to the cause leaves, regardless if $10 or $40K, money is firmly in the bank.

What is more important is making sure those most likely to continue spending big are retained, Finn was likely in this group considering his previous involvement.

It was bad form on Caspian's part and he owes Finn and some others an apology. 

Yeah, I know, never gonna happen.

No wonder they get DDOS'd all the time.

:D

TGIF

Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    After DSS comes the reverse auction of all the remaining parcels of land.  I am sure Caspien is expecting a huge influx of cash from FOMO.  We shall see.  
    MendelAnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    One thing SBS seems to be good at is stringing their whales along.  It will be interesting to see how much they milk from their supporters *and* what kind of sale will happen next.  There's always a need for more money, I just can't see that changing for these guys.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Sounds familiar:

Caspian ☁06/25/2019

I believe the web team is doing some fine tuning pen testing and stress testing now, but they are essentially finished.

Caspian ☁06/14/2019

Then there's some more work to be done on the stylized render. We're getting very close, and I suspect the last bit of work will complete quickly once we're able to overcome the hurdles we're experiencing with our simulations.

Caspian ☁05/10/2019

@Kinoss I'm not sure what he was responding to. I think in general, he was probably saying if the maps are all done and the site's fully tested and everything that we'd make it available before Monday. A reasonable statement. We're not at the point of making it publicly available yet.

Caspian ☁04/28/2019

@Rellik (EU) Nothing is every 100% certain, but we've been working hard for months now. We're confident we don't need more than a few more days to finish the work and rendering, and spend some additional time testing.

Maybe THIS time Lucy (Caspien) won't pull away the football...

As the world of Caspien turns... Episode 59 (not a repeat episode, just very similar to the prior 58):

Caspian ☁Today at 1:04 PM

Ok. My tests this morning passed. I'm able to generate settlements for all servers using the new settlement generation algorithm. One step closer!

Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

@Slapshot1188 ;

We all have the launch date of DSS. December. Caspian was right on the money the first time. We just didn't know at the time, it would take a full year to complete. Yet fools still think this game has a chance of launching within the next few years. I'm starting to think it will never launch. He can't do anything in an timely manner.
    GdemamiScotAnOldFart
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    My prediction: Chronicles of Elyria and Soulbound studios closes within the next 18 months. 7/21/2019
    Arterius said:
    My prediction: Chronicles of Elyria and Soulbound studios closes within the next 18 months. 7/21/2019
    I usually don't try to take a doom and gloom stance but I agree. If they are not closed down then they are in serious trouble anyway. No way they are still making this game in 2021. I think out of all the games we talk about that are crowd funded, this is the one that shows the least amount of updates and content. 
    Clearly this is one studio living on the edge as they have been relying totally on their backers to fund everything to date.

Most of the other well known indie games (CU, Ashes, Pantheon, DU, SC, CF, SoL, SotA, AlbO) have stated they've got funding from additional sources.

Probably not a coincidence all of the above were able to show more discernable progress earlier in their development cycles than COE, but hey, I'm just an armchair developer so what do I know?
    GdemamiScot[Deleted User]

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Vrika said:
    I just realized it's been a while since Staalburgher posted about CoE's income, so:

So far CoE has collected $6 230 744 funding.
    On April 30th they had collected  $6 111 616

An increase of $119 128 over 71 days, or about $51 thousand a month. At this funding level they'd be able to sustainably have less than 10 people working on the project.

I had a quick look last month at end of June and it was a train smash, ~$772 per day for June. Was going to wait for end of July to see if it repeats. Bit bummed I can't post the screenshots anymore.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    I still think COE will come out as a game, just not sure what sort of game it will be or what decade it will come out. :)
    Vrika said:
    I just realized it's been a while since Staalburgher posted about CoE's income, so:

So far CoE has collected $6 230 744 funding.
    On April 30th they had collected  $6 111 616

An increase of $119 128 over 71 days, or about $51 thousand a month. At this funding level they'd be able to sustainably have less than 10 people working on the project.

I had a quick look last month at end of June and it was a train smash, ~$772 per day for June. Was going to wait for end of July to see if it repeats. Bit bummed I can't post the screenshots anymore.
    I'm sure revenues will rocket way up after DSS releases and they hold their reverse auction or whatever to sell off the remaining parcels.
    bcbully

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I can't see the reverse auction working. The game will struggle to attract new people with their track record and the community would be silly to buy everything up. 
    Gdemami
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Scot said:
    I still think COE will come out as a game, just not sure what sort of game it will be or what decade it will come out. :)
    Probably a battle royale or something.
    AnOldFart said:
    I can't see the reverse auction working. The game will struggle to attract new people with their track record and the community would be silly to buy everything up. 
    I could be wrong but I think they make a lot of cash on the auction.  Each and every opportunity the community has shown an eagerness to buy up advantages.  Once they have the actual map that shows their settlements and they see that they can buy the one next to them at half price, my gut says they happily scoop it up and thank Caspien for allowing them to do so.

Somewhere down the line he still has the EP Store launch where folks can buy further advantages like upgraded equipment, patterns, resources...  

While I think they have hit a self-inflicted dead spot in funding I do not think the well is anywhere near dry yet.

Ill have to see the players actually not buy up advantages before I will believe it.

Besides, Caspien has been teasing about his meeting with 3rd party folks for top secret discussions.  Wink wink...

bcbully

edited July 2019
    While DSS hasn't yet occurred, they did release all of the maps at a high level which some helpful backer applied a hex grid overlay to.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31819/all-4-latest-dss-maps-with-hex-grid-overlay

These are at the county zoom level and are minus the borders, the settlements, and the roads that link them.

Guess SBS needs to save something for DSS day.  

bcbully

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Scot said:
    Probably a battle royale or something.
    Map maker sim?

Gut Out!
    Slapshot1188Kyleran[Deleted User]kenguru23

What, me worry?

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    edited July 2019
    AnOldFart said:
    I could be wrong but I think they make a lot of cash on the auction.  Each and every opportunity the community has shown an eagerness to buy up advantages.  Once they have the actual map that shows their settlements and they see that they can buy the one next to them at half price, my gut says they happily scoop it up and thank Caspien for allowing them to do so.

Somewhere down the line he still has the EP Store launch where folks can buy further advantages like upgraded equipment, patterns, resources...  

While I think they have hit a self-inflicted dead spot in funding I do not think the well is anywhere near dry yet.

Ill have to see the players actually not buy up advantages before I will believe it.

Besides, Caspien has been teasing about his meeting with 3rd party folks for top secret discussions.  Wink wink...

I agree with you in that plenty of whales will want to buy up more settlements, it's a mentality of not wanting to be wrong, no one wants to admit they wasted years of their life for a failed project. I  can promise you that CoE will shut down just like Revival Online did, same shit, they sold tons of properties and then the game went nowhere, I see the same thing happening here. There is no game here, this is a failure on a massive scale and Caspian will do everything in his power to drag this vaporware as far as he can.
    Gdemami
  • DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    edited July 2019
    Kyleran said:
    While DSS hasn't yet occurred, they did release all of the maps at a high level which some helpful backer applied a hex grid overlay to.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/31819/all-4-latest-dss-maps-with-hex-grid-overlay

These are at the county zoom level and are minus the borders, the settlements, and the roads that link them.

Guess SBS needs to save something for DSS day.  

Damn.. just a thought.
    As fishing ( and maybe who knows - let's think like Caspian for a while - even whaling ) will be a thing in CoE, can SBS sell rights to all those nice blue hexes out there? So many of them :-)
    I bet many fishermen would like to have their own plot of the ocean :)

So much revenue!