Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apex Legends To Force Cheaters To Play Each Other - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageApex Legends To Force Cheaters To Play Each Other - MMORPG.com

In an article from Kotaku, it appears that Apex Legends, the battle royale from Respawn Entertainment, will force cheating players to play against each other.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I’m confused. The first parts says they are going to detect and auto ban cheaters. Then later they talk about matching them up against each other. Which is it? And if you can in fact detect it why not ban?
    klexon[Deleted User]Rich84Phryiamspamicusgastovski1

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    edited July 2019
    It is an odd topic that has been discussed for a while. Some countries can force companies to refund money if they ban players, since that game has been paid for, and they are refusing the player access to their accounts, thus stopping a paid service. However, if you make it a "feature" to put players who cheat in an arena to battle each other, you are no longer stopping service from paying customers, instead you are allowing them to continue being ass-hats to other cheaters and not hurting you main population. This skirts that line of a refund for stopping services and removed the customers chances of obtaining a refund.
    chojin2ktomahawk1930gervaise1GladDogCryomatrixSinsai[Deleted User]ValdheimcheyanePhryand 5 others.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    One of the biggest turnoffs about FPS and BRs is that people are going t ocheat....Aimbots or whatever other way there is going to be cheating.
    Phrywingood
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I think its genius, since its f2p anyways, ban wont work
    bcbully[Deleted User]Unbinoinfomatzgastovski1wingood
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I love it. I hope it works. Honestly, if games could attract JUST the right type of players, they would be golden. Not trying to be elitist, but back in the day when video games, particularly RPGs, were not as mainstream, there was a much smaller pool of people whom played them and shared more common interests, imo.
    bcbully[Deleted User]UnbinoFacelessSaviorSpottyGekko

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    "Even if you are not specifically using a cheat, partying up with cheaters is still cheating"
    If someone on the team is cheating don't mean everyone on the team is necessarily cheating.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Nasa said:
    "Even if you are not specifically using a cheat, partying up with cheaters is still cheating"
    If someone on the team is cheating don't mean everyone on the team is necessarily cheating.
    I think it refers to people who choose to party up with cheaters and knowingly remain in their party for the advantage it provides. I doubt there would ever be consequences for just being matchmade up with a cheater for a one-and-done match. 
    Phry
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Myrdynn said:
    f2play but not f2buy. 
    [Deleted User]iamspamicusgastovski1
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2019

Myrdynn said:

Rockstar did that with Max Payne 3 on PC and they failed miserably. Cheaters bypassed that system so easily Rockstar just gave up. It was their biggest excuse to pass responsibility to the players, and that was a full price game.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Going to be honest that is the best approach to games like this. Don't even say anything or let them know they are being sent to the cheater servers. If you get something like 3 detects that you are cheating, which gives some room for false positives, then you are sent to play with your fellow asshats I mean cheaters. Then any messages about people cheating from that server could be directly sent to the garbage to not take up any customer service hours.
    iamspamicus
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

One of the biggest turnoffs about FPS and BRs is that people are going t ocheat....Aimbots or whatever other way there is going to be cheating.

This happens to pretty much any game, just go to Aimjunkies and they pretty much have a cheat for any game.

IMO, this a great concept to adopt. A smart move to counter regions that forces a company to refund players they were intended to legitimize penalizing them for.

I disagree not notifying them either, if anything, they should create their own leader boards of shame.
    [Deleted User]
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No.if a player is cheating they are disrupting other players who paid for and have a right to enjoy the game as intended.So if they wanted they can EASILY ban those cheats and not worry about giving them a single dime.
    Is this "idea" a good one,no it is a joke.

Why not just ban cheats?Well first of all they have to catch them,so how are they going to catch hundreds of cheats every day?They are not spending money on hiring policemen,online enforcers/gm's to watch over the games,no way,they would rather do nothing and wait for email complaints.
    Anti cheat has NEVER worked long term,when it works it is busted the same day.
    So where does this leave us,yet another pvp game with cheating,nothing new here,same old song n dance.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    People who cheat in competitive games are pathetic.
    rojoArcueidUnbino
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited July 2019

Myrdynn said:

Rockstar did that with Max Payne 3 on PC and they failed miserably. Cheaters bypassed that system so easily Rockstar just gave up. It was their biggest excuse to pass responsibility to the players, and that was a full price game.
    yea well, rockstar and multiplayer ;)

they tried to sell us their single player game (GTAV) for "story reasons". a story about 3 characters.... which can not be played in coop... bc of "story".

sure thing

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    This is quite a silly idea - it sounds kinda like if you create a league in sports where all the drug cheats plays together lol...

Lance Armstrong cycling challenge :P
    WhiteLantern
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    I love the idea and wish more companies would do it. Back in the DAOC days people would radar all the time and you knew exactly who they were. I always wanted them to create a server called Cheating for life and put them all on there.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Wizardry said:

No.if a player is cheating they are disrupting other players who paid for and have a right to enjoy the game as intended.So if they wanted they can EASILY ban those cheats and not worry about giving them a single dime.
    Is this "idea" a good one,no it is a joke.

Why not just ban cheats?Well first of all they have to catch them,so how are they going to catch hundreds of cheats every day?They are not spending money on hiring policemen,online enforcers/gm's to watch over the games,no way,they would rather do nothing and wait for email complaints.
    Anti cheat has NEVER worked long term,when it works it is busted the same day.
    So where does this leave us,yet another pvp game with cheating,nothing new here,same old song n dance.

The main issue with banning is that people just make new fake accounts.
    if you match them against other cheater, they will keep playing for a longer time due to not realising they are in a banned/cheaterpool.
    Makes it so that they are longer away from the main comunity compared to a straight up ban
    Unbinogervaise1
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

gervaise1 said:

Myrdynn said:

f2play but not f2buy. 

Apex Legends is free to play, its not buy to play
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    They shouldn't advertise it, just do it and why not also arbitrarly add 1-2 minutes extra to any matchmaking, and throttle the cheat server with occasional intended lag spikes.
    kenguru23
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

I’m confused. The first parts says they are going to detect and auto ban cheaters. Then later they talk about matching them up against each other. Which is it? And if you can in fact detect it why not ban?

As someone who knows hackers. Banning them doesn't do a thing. Especially on a FREE game. They just remake. Better they suffer by them getting matched up with other hackers unbeknownst to them.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    People who cheat in competitive games are pathetic.
    It isn't something that obviously bothers a cheater.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Maybe it’s not as easy to detect as they like to admit so putting suspected players against each other might make it easier. 
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Funny how f2p scrubs are cheating on a f2p game. Kinda adds to the "nothing to live for" mentality about their lives.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited July 2019
    Funny how f2p scrubs are cheating on a f2p game. Kinda adds to the "nothing to live for" mentality about their lives.
    Interesting. Could you please describe the relationship between F2P players and a "nothing to live for" mentality? Just curious.  

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Interesting but won't they catch on immediately and go make a new account?
    [Deleted User]cheyane