Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just saved over 100 USD by this one simple trick

BaalzharonBaalzharon Member RarePosts: 514
edited July 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Instead of buying a 50 dollar tent in BDO and a 30 dollar costume+the 60 dollar pack they have for sell currently that comes with a costume and a pet and a 15 day value pack+separately another 30 day value pack that also costs 15 USD

I used it to pay for a 15 USD a month sub (its ESO) that gives me the entire game for that single price except some expansions occasionally.

Such a massive savings!

Who knew sub MMOs were so cheap in comparison? Maybe devs in the future can take some ideas from sub MMOs, because its quite a nice idea I haven't seen before and much cheaper for the player.
Phryanemosumdumguy1GutlardMargrave

Comments

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    edited July 2019
    Or, you could play games without making expensive cash shop purchases, and save yourself even more. F2P games (or virtually free due to extremely low upfront cost such as BDO) are as expensive as the player chooses to make them.

Contrived savings aren't actual savings.

Also, the game matters. Not all $15/month games offer the same deal. Some of them require additional expenditures, such as up front costs and periodic paid for expansions. In such cases, those costs must be included for valid comparison.

Edit: Well, now seeing it is about ESO, that one is a bit of as strange duck. You can also choose to B2P (as I have) instead of subscribe. The only niggling thing about the former is the loss of crafting inventory which I wasn't aware of at the time, but it does free one from monthly obligation.

Regardless, ESO is also as costly as you wish to make it, as one can boost that cost through cash shop purchases if so inclined, though you do get a lot of free bits from daily logins which is nice.
    PhryrojoArcueid
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Its funny though people complain of 15 USD but then the same people (not saying anyone in this thread of course, just a generalization) spend tons and tons of money on loot boxes and/or other cash shop stuff lol.
    And that is why I say, "I can't afford to play Free to Play games."
    Baalzharon[Deleted User]Kyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    just think, i saved all that plus the 15$ by not subbing to either of those trash games.
    Iselin[Deleted User]PhryNorseGodTheocritus
    Or, you could play games without making expensive cash shop purchases, and save yourself even more. F2P games (or virtually free due to extremely low upfront cost such as BDO) are as expensive as the player chooses to make them.

Also, the game matters. Not all $15/month games offer the same deal. Some of them require additional expenditures, such as up front costs and periodic paid for expansions. In such cases, those costs must be included for valid comparison.
    Nothing free is actually free. It always costs in some way, whether its heavily designing gameplay around the cash shop (which BDO actually does. Even cosmetics are 30 USD a pop and the non-cashshop outfits are ugly in comparison) or removing gameplay mechanics you then have to pay for (SWTOR did/does this) or earn currency after years of grinding to unlock stuff (LOTRO/DDO)

If the devs made 100% free then the game wouldn't exist because the devs wouldn't make money.

If its free, there is always a hidden cost so it isn't actually free. That or the free game is a piece of junk and that is why its free

Or I can play ESO (or WoW but not into BFA like I said above) for a price of 15 USD+occasional expansion and get EVERYTHING for the low price of 15 USD, cheaper than the local movie theater at 25 USD a ticket for adults. No worrying about cashshop (well ESO has one but it isn't required at all if you sub to it) or any hidden fees, no losing gameplay mechanics you have to pay for, the entire game for just 15 USD.

Of course it is free, in terms of monetary cost, at the individual level. This is relevant to those with sharply limited financial means but rich in abundant free time, or providing for those persons.

The attire of one's character isn't going to matter to those faced with the option of playing with unattractive garb or not playing at all. LotRO and DDO have rather primitive f2p models, where content must be unlocked by currency gained from grinding if one doesn't wish to pay for it. This is largely not the case anymore. SWTOR is an egregious outlier, where one must even purchase access to task bars, but such is not generally the case.

The cost of F2P is rarely hidden. It is often highlighted ad nauseam within the game itself through direct marketing and notifications of loot box winners and such, and access to the cash shop itself is rarely difficult to find. Regardless, it is better than nothing.

Subscription models and B2P are of course both infinitely superior, for those that have the disposable income available. For those that don't quite have that freedom, F2P has a valid role, whether it be allowing a financially strapped parent to provide their children with entertainment that would be otherwise out of reach, or someone on disability or in retirement that has their limited resources entirely swallowed by need with nothing left over for want.
    Its funny though people complain of 15 USD but then the same people (not saying anyone in this thread of course, just a generalization) spend tons and tons of money on loot boxes and/or other cash shop stuff lol.
    Logic is not a strong suit of those inclined to behave illogically.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    You saved some money but now you're playing ESO. It's like saying you saved money by eating at Mcdonalds instead of somewhere nice. 
    PhaserlightRemali
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 505
    Instead of buying a 50 dollar tent in BDO and a 30 dollar costume+the 60 dollar pack they have for sell currently that comes with a costume and a pet and a 15 day value pack+separately another 30 day value pack that also costs 15 USD

I used it to pay for a 15 USD a month sub (its ESO) that gives me the entire game for that single price except some expansions occasionally.

Such a massive savings!

Who knew sub MMOs were so cheap in comparison? Maybe devs in the future can take some ideas from sub MMOs, because its quite a nice idea I haven't seen before and much cheaper for the player.
    This sounds like a commercial for ESO trolling as some player's epiphany correct or not lol.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Arterius said:

I used it to pay for a 15 USD a month sub (won't name the MMO since it doesn't matter) that gives me the entire game for that single price except some expansions occasionally.

Such a massive savings!

Its ESO. Only MMO I know that gives you expansions with the sub fee except for the most recent one. Plus most people here will ask for what MMO anyway. No reason not to withhold the info.
    DDO used to do it too.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    You saved some money but now you're playing ESO. It's like saying you saved money by eating at Mcdonalds instead of somewhere nice. 
    Coulda picked far worse. At least it's not WAR or something.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2019
    Arterius said:

I used it to pay for a 15 USD a month sub (won't name the MMO since it doesn't matter) that gives me the entire game for that single price except some expansions occasionally.

Such a massive savings!

Its ESO. Only MMO I know that gives you expansions with the sub fee except for the most recent one. Plus most people here will ask for what MMO anyway. No reason not to withhold the info.
    WoW and FFXIV do the same. Previous expansions are added to the base game in WoW while FFXIV adds previous expansions to the newest one. Different ways to do the same thing.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Most people are loath to pay for anything which they might not use, or use very often.

As game hopping is the norm these days (not for me) a monthly sub makes little sense regardless how little it might be.

Many are also adverse to games which deny them access if they cease paying, hence the sub model is a no go.

Also, in some parts of the world $15 US is quite a sum of money which is out of reach for the average gamer.

Conversely, they are usually quite willing to spend quite a bit for things they really desire and plan to use immediately. 

I've often thought game companies should offer some form of pay as you go subscription; letting players purchase say 50 hours of game time credits for a set amount which never expire and can be used whenever the gamer desires.

Even better if players could sell or trade such game time credits to others.

CCP almost has it right in EVE, except they still insist players redeem their PLEX in 30 day sub allotments which expire whether the user ever logs in.

My guess is if they offered some form of pay as you play PLEX they could charge an even higher price than the current $20 premium price those who pay by PLEX vs the $15 a month sub.

PhaserlightBaalzharonPhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Arterius said:
    Rift has free expansions included with the free main game, lol.  Tents are craftable, and so are some costumes, as well as them being quest rewards.  What do you have to buy?  Bag space expansions are about the only thing you need to play the game comfortably for months.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    And I thought that this thread would be full of responses like "I just saved $100 by switching to Geico"... disappointing.
    [Deleted User]
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Instead of spending thousands of dollars on a car to drive the 15 miles to town, I spent forty on a pair of shoes to walk. . .

. . .look how /r/Iamverysmart I am!
    PhryRemali
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Indeed a lot of F2P are too expensive. I didn't  buy anything on BDO aside from the game when it launched and a monthly sub which I think was fair.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    I thought someone said only 2% of people playing free to play game pay anything.  Granted I think most of those number are trial players which is why the number is so low...  But a huge portion of people actually play the game free.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kitarad said:
    Indeed a lot of F2P are too expensive. I didn't  buy anything on BDO aside from the game when it launched and a monthly sub which I think was fair.
    I think the monthly sub option for BDO is worth the money, but although i play a lot i stopped buying the vip package, i don't need the extra inventory or bank spaces anymore and i don't buy/sell things from the market enough to be bothered about losing 30% of item values, it depends on how you play the game, i play BDO several hours a day, along with FFXIV very different games but both totally awesome for entirely different reasons.
    Either way its not like these games are half as bad as the various mobile games that give microtransactions a really bad name, and although ESO is better than it was, i wouldn't hold it up as the shining example either, its either acceptable or it isn't and thats a very personal metric anyway. ;)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can play FFXI on private 100% free,Atlas cost me the original 30 bucks but i have seen it as low as 11 bucks and NO cash shop,no more costs.I can load up most of the my games for free,yes even EQ2 albeit with some restrictions,none the less i feel no need to support very lame business ideas,i look at gaming from one very easy aspect,you have a product,i buy it or i don't ,no more $$ changing hands beyond that point.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Developers and publishers only implement lame ideas because people are stupid with their money,they spend on anything and everything,the majority of people are easily exploited by simple marketing.
    There is a large player base that is sort of in the media a lot,in your face and that is all the people/gamer's that earn a living,make money off of gaming.Those people give a false sense of value and worth on gaming because they would prefer a pvp type atmosphere..."look at me,i am a winner,support me" and that is exactly what works in the $$$ side of gaming.However if no ranking system or money /esport systems then nobody would care,those games would not garner as much interest as they do.Once you get those popular streamers on board then the cash shops flourish because all the puppets start following around their fave streamers and play the same games and want to sit in chat and tell everyone how great they are at the same game.

NOBODY should be supporting cash shops or developers exploiting them,it is nothing but GREED and for NO other reason.I have changed my stance on sub fees as well,unless i see them as being warranted they do not belong.Single player games have for MANY years sold as a one off sale,that one purchase is it,that is all,no more money grinding.The very small amount it costs to run servers and GM' etc etc is not represented in the $15 sub fees,it is TOO MUCH money>>>GREED.
    iamspamicus

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Edit: Well, now seeing it is about ESO, that one is a bit of as strange duck. You can also choose to B2P (as I have) instead of subscribe. The only niggling thing about the former is the loss of crafting inventory which I wasn't aware of at the time, but it does free one from monthly obligation.

Regardless, ESO is also as costly as you wish to make it, as one can boost that cost through cash shop purchases if so inclined, though you do get a lot of free bits from daily logins which is nice.
    F2P MMO's suck the life out of you, but if your time is worth nothing, then by all means spend it all grinding on FP2 games.  And why are they free in the first place, because they aren't good enough to pay for day one or its an older sub game that goes F2P to keep the interest going.

Wow, Final Fantasy, and a very few others are really the only games worth the time/progression investment.

The rest of the games designed day one as F2P are designed for kids and the unemployed that have tons of free time they don't value, and people that dump 50 plus a month into a game that used pay 15.

F2P MMO's are un-defendable if look at them from a cost / time progression value.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I am late to the party. Is BDO f2p now or something. Is it hated now or something? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design